NATION

PASSWORD

Project Nevermore| Book 1, Chronicles of Providence, Closed

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Tristan Providence
Secretary

Founded: Sep 14, 2007
Ex-Nation

Project Nevermore| Book 1, Chronicles of Providence, Closed

Postby Tristan Providence » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:52 pm

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
`'Tis some visitor,' I muttered, `tapping at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
- Edgar Allan Poe, 1845

In the darkness of one Tristan Providence night, Phoenix Derrick pondered over an old poem by is favorite writer. The 18 year old boy always read poetry when he was troubled. Trouble was the least of his worries. Pounding, Pounding, pounding his heart raced, the blood was pumping relentlessly in his veins. All the despair in the world seemed to overcome him. His temple looked as if it would explode. Picking up a book from the lampstand he threw it across the room with all of his sorrow. The book hit a picture frame as if he aimed to hit it. His anger seemed to be uncontrollable to him. "Voices, Voices in my head." He cried. With this he fell onto his knees and started to sob. His tears poured out as if they would fill the room. All of the energy seemed to drain from him. His eyelids began to become heavy and he fell into a comatose.

Outside the wind was howling, rain began to cascade from the clouds. Inside Phoenix's house, he lay dosing in the middle of a puddle of tears on the floor. As uncomfortable as this is, he did not care. All of his despair drained his life energy. Sleep was his only escape. When it seemed he was in a peaceful slumber a knock came at his door. James lay unstirred. This time a louder knock came. The sleeping teen awoke. His eyes felt as if they were impossible to open. He struggled to pick himself off the floor. "Who the heck is knocking at my door at this time of night." He muttered as he turned the knob. He pushed the door ajar, enough to see outside. Only the darkness of night was there to meet him. He closed the door. "Maybe I was only having a dream." he stated as he lay down on his bed. In a mere 10 seconds he was in a deep sleep.

Ah, distinctly I remember it was in the bleak December,
And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.
Eagerly I wished the morrow; - vainly I had sought to borrow
From my books surcease of sorrow - sorrow for the lost Lenore -
For the rare and radiant maiden whom the angels named Lenore -
Nameless here for evermore.

And the silken sad uncertain rustling of each purple curtain
Thrilled me - filled me with fantastic terrors never felt before;
So that now, to still the beating of my heart, I stood repeating
`'Tis some visitor entreating entrance at my chamber door -
Some late visitor entreating entrance at my chamber door; -
This it is, and nothing more,'

In the early afternoon James awoke from his deep dark sleep. His head throbbed from his headache. He battled to get out of his bed. The mental and physical pain was too much to bear. He looked over his small apartment room. The horns and noises of big city life could be heard outside. Phoenix walked over to the broken picture frame. In it was a picture of 2 young girls. His heart sank, what was left of his heart that is. Seeming all of his heart he gave to these maidens, maidens he only has a mere picture of. The memories were still real, all the heartache and pain. No friends to council him, no woman to comfort him. He was all alone in his small world. He overlooked his alarm clock. "Noon already." he moaned. He was late for his Psychiatrist's Appointment. He donned his coat and walked over to the door. He hesitated as he opened it. Looking through the crack as if some monster would be standing there. Of course nothing was there. Only his imagination. He walked down the pathway to the garage. A old rusted hatchback awaited him there like a faithful stead, or more like a faithful mule. Stepping inside of the rusted hunk of metal, he put the key in the ignition. The engine of the car struggled to start. Finally after a few turns of the key the car started. He put the hatchback into drive and headed down the road.

After a 10 minute drive, Phoenix arrived at the Psychiatrist's office. He exited his vehicle and ascended a flight a stairs. A wooden door with a sign that read "Suite 233" greeted him. Opening the door, he hesitantly walked inside. A secretary sat inside and welcomed him with a smile. Her white wide grin seemed to haunt James, the memories of the girl he lost all but rushed back into his head. "Doctor Franklin will see you now sir." She said as she continued to smile. Phoenix raced to the doctor’s door trying to escape the ominous smile. Confused as to the mans odd behavior the secretary continued her duties.

Doctor Franklin sat on a soft leather chair in a cramped room filled with many items such as books, and models. He beckoned Phoenix to sit down. As he did so the Doctor greeted him. "So how have you been this past week Mr. Derrick?"
"Not well. The voices and images have come back. They seem to never go away, they always haunt me chasing me, and I can't forget them. It’s as if she has control of my thoughts." Phoenix said hauntingly.
"Well you cannot let this keep getting the best of you. You have to let go of her. I know it has been hard losing your sister, and then the love of your life. But you can't let her control your life." The Doctor answered him.
"I can’t let her go, Amanda could still be out there, shes hurting right now, and I cant find her, I love her, my baby sister... But shes gone! As for Lenore.... I still hear her voice; I still see her eyes, those faces she's given me. The things she’s said to me, the things I've done to hurt her, I can't just forget about it. I love her, I care about her. I want her back; I want her to care again." He said as he began to sob.
"Phoenix! You have to get hold of yourself. You can't go on and on like a drunken madman slaving after one girl. You have a life to live. She isn’t part of it. You must accept it. And you must let go of your sister, its been over a year, I think its time to lay her to rest." The Doctor argued
"Shut up! My sister is alive! Alive I tell you!. This was a waste of my time. I knew it. I'm leaving." With this Phoenix ran out the door, past the smiling secretary, who at this time was even more confused with the mans behavior, past the door of the office and all the way to his awaiting car. Meanwhile in his office, Doctor Franklin sat in deep contomplation of the events that had just unfolded. The seriousness in his eyes showed signs of conviction in the present situation. Dr. Franklin sat up in his chair and reached acrossed his desk to pick up the phone. After dialing a few numbers he waitied as the phone continued to ring, at the end of a short wait a voice picked up on the other line.
"Hello, This is Doctor Franklin in regards to the project number 7, I would like to inform you that case number 4476 is ready for the second stage of tests."
Outside, Phoenix jumped in the car and slammed the door. Grasping the steering wheel, his hands seemed to be welded to the wheel, and his face turned a red hue. All of the anger in him was about to explode. Eyes dilated and his fists balled, his knuckles flew into the front window. Glass and blood spattered everywhere. Realizing he was injured he pulled a first aid kit out from under his seat. His breathing was heavy and labored. The sound of blood could be heard in his head. He finally regained control of himself. Letting out a deep sigh as he looked at his car. There was no way he was going to be able to drive it home. "Whatever." He muttered. "Not like I need a stupid car anyways." Phoenix flung the door open and began walking down the street. Puling his coat over his shoulders to shield himself from the cold. His eyes filled with sorrow and his mind filled with tragedy he headed back to his lonely abode.

Presently my soul grew stronger; hesitating then no longer,
`Sir,' said I, `or Madam, truly your forgiveness I implore;
But the fact is I was napping, and so gently you came rapping,
And so faintly you came tapping, tapping at my chamber door,
That I scarce was sure I heard you' - here I opened wide the door; -
Darkness there, and nothing more.

The inside of Phoenix's apartment was utterly destroyed. Furniture was strewed everywhere. Desks turned upside down. Pictures thrown across the room. Glass littered the floor. Phoenix sat in the middle of the chaos of his apartment. His anger all but overcame him. No part of his apartment was spared. He had utterly torn it apart. The sweat dripped down his forehead. The veins in his neck shown threw the skin. Heart pumping and blood rushing. This was the deepest darkest place of Phoenix's heart. Total despair. Phoenix looked around his apartment. He was awestruck as to how far his anger took him. Having never gone this far before, but was sure this wasn’t the last he would visit this darkest of moods, Phoenix sat contemplating his life. What was the point of it? There was no point in his eyes. Just end it all, he thought to himself. He reached for a long shard of glass. The Sharpe edges cut into his hand as he guided it to his forearm. Sooner than he could cut into his skin another mysterious knock came. Gently tapping at his door. "Come, to us. Come with us." it said eerily. Phoenix was aghast. The voice repeated and repeated the same thing. "Come, to us. Come with us." the voice began to cause the teen pain he clenched his head as if to shut the voices out. Suddenly the voices changed tone "We need you. You are essential to us." it claimed. As the haunting continued a low humming ring began to swamp the room. But as it continued and continued it drove Phoenix mad. He let our shriek of pain. The shriek echoed throughout the room. Subsequently the sound stopped. No more voices, no more haunting modulation. Phoenix steadily rose to his feet and walked over the shards of glass towards the door. He cracked it open, but Darkness there and, northing more.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing,
Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before
But the silence was unbroken, and the darkness gave no token,
And the only word there spoken was the whispered word, `Lenore!'
This I whispered, and an echo murmured back the word, `Lenore!'
Merely this and nothing more.

Standing on the threshold of his apartment, Phoenix was dumbstruck by the darkness outside, he began to walk onto the sidewalk. The stars were out in the night sky. All seemed to be quite. Which was unusual for a night in the big city. He began to walk down the street, as if something was drawing him somewhere. Where? He didn't know. The cold pavement under his feet, he didn’t even bother to grab a coat. He was all but numb to the winter cold. Continuously he walked down the road, like a man who didn't know where he was going. He came to ally way that came off the roadway. The dark shadows between the buildings bewildered him. Suddenly out of the silence came a whisper. "Lenore!" Phoenix was aghast. Who but him would know the name of the girl that broke his heart? "Lenore!" it continued to say. It seemed to come from the dark ally way. He peered into the darkness expecting to see someone their. However much to his surprise there was no one there. Just shadows of the night. He began to walk into the ally way, searching for the strange source of these words. "Lenore!" it said once again. The word rang on and on through his head. He turned a corner. Still only darkness. Who was whispering this despaired word? "Lenore!" it continued. This began to trouble Phoenix. He couldn’t bear hearing the name over and over again. He began to cry out. "Who are you? What do you want!" no answer came. He slowly and softly stepped down the path. He looked all around; afraid something would come out and attack him. This went on for another 5 minutes until he came to a dead end. The voice continued, "Lenore!", again and again, "Lenore!" it began to get faster, "Lenore!", "Lenore!", "Lenore!". Sweat poured out of all the pores in Phoenix's body, suddenly everything stopped, and darkness consumed everything.

Back into the chamber turning, all my soul within me burning,
Soon again I heard a tapping somewhat louder than before.
`Surely,' said I, `surely that is something at my window lattice;
Let me see then, what thereat is, and this mystery explore -
Let my heart be still a moment and this mystery explore; -
'Tis the wind and nothing more!'

Phoenix stood in the middle of a dimly shaded room. A few lamps on each side of the room gave off little light. In front of him was an open window. The wind blew through Phoenix's hair. The cool breeze seemed to calm him. Despite the refreshing breeze, Phoenix was still troubled with his surroundings. Were he? The last he remembered he was in an alleyway in Goronwy. He tuned his gaze away from the window. A few chairs surrounded a table occupied in the center of the chamber. He looked up over a small fireplace. What he saw next turned his skin white and sent a shiver down his spine. On the wall was a portrait of Lenore. The beautiful blonde haired girl seemed to stare back at him, through his very soul. "Lenore!" the voices said again. This time however he knew were it was coming from, the lips of the portrait seemed to move as the whispering came. "Lenore!" it said. Phoenix turned and ran for the door, but much to his dismay it was bolted shut. "Lenore!" it said again. Phoenix shock all over, his skin tingled with fear, this was his worst nightmare. This room, the air, the whisper in his head was all too real to him. He couldn’t bear it. Clenching his ears as if to shut the world out he huddled on the floor. This had no effect. "Lenore!" the portrait said once again. Phoenix let out a death curling scream. "Leave me alone!" he demanded. To Phoenix's surprise the whispering stopped. Silence took over the chamber. He let go of his ears. Looking over the room he stood up. The dim lights flickered as a loud tapping sound came. This time louder than it ever has before. Tap, tap, tap, tap. Where was it coming from? Phoenix walked over to a window on the other side of the room. He could hear the tapping even more clearly than before. He unlatched the lock on the window and forced it open. Nothing, nothing was there. He sighed in relief to himself, "It’s the wind, and nothing more."
Last edited by Tristan Providence on Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Tristan Providence
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Re: Project Nevermore| Book 1, Chronicles of Providence, Closed

Postby Tristan Providence » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:54 am

Open here I flung the shutter, when, with many a flirt and flutter,
In there stepped a stately raven of the saintly days of yore.
Not the least obeisance made he; not a minute stopped or stayed he;
But, with mien of lord or lady, perched above my chamber door -
Perched upon a bust of Pallas just above my chamber door -
Perched, and sat, and nothing more.

Withdrawing back into the mysterious chamber, Phoenix trotted back to the door. He pushed and shoved at it, but his attempts to escape were in vain. The door did not budge. "Where the hell am I?" he exclaimed. "This has to be a dream, I want to go home, send me home!" He backed up from the wooden doorway. He took another look around the room. The dim lights from the lamp did not revile much about the strange place. A few peaces of art dotted the room. The portrait of Lenore, a small clay vase, and a bust of Pallas. The later of these amused Phoenix. Of all the things to be in an odd place like this than a bust of Pallas. Although this faintly humorous, Phoenix was still not comforted; this fearful place chilled him to the soul. He had to try everything to escape. He rushed at the door. A loud thud ensued as he hit the door with full force. This did little but injure Phoenix. As he lay there dazed on the ground, the most mysterious noise came; a low pitched sound began to echo from the outside. Phoenix recognized this noise. It was much like a squawk of a bird. At this time entered a small dark Raven much like that of the Commonwealth national bird. The deep black feathered beast of the air flew in through the room. It flew over Phoenix's head and perched itself on the bust of Pallas. The deep dark and seemingly evil eyes of the bird stared into the eyes of the frightened teenager. The bird sat there in eery silence, saying nothing. It just Perched, and sat, and nothing more.

Then this ebony bird beguiling my sad fancy into smiling,
By the grave and stern decorum of the countenance it wore,
`Though thy crest be shorn and shaven, thou,' I said, `art sure no craven.
Ghastly grim and ancient raven wandering from the nightly shore -
Tell me what thy lordly name is on the Night's Plutonian shore!'
Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'

For the next few minutes the Raven and Phoenix sat staring into each others eyes. The dark hew of the bird’s eyes captivated Phoenix. It seemed they were deeper than the deepest of all the oceans. Its feathers seemed to shine in darkness. The color of its wings seemed darker than the night’s sky. Phoenix marveled at this beautiful bird. He would claim it to be the most beautiful thing in the world if it did not strike so much fear into his spirit. The Sharpe talons of the bird clamped onto the head of Pallas. Its beak was as Sharpe as a sword, the old and seemingly evil bird sat on the bust as if he was examining Phoenix. In his mind, deep down inside, something was familiar about this bird, yet he could not put a finger on it. To afraid to move, Phoenix sat knelt on the floor of the chamber. He looked up onto the bird as if it was the ruler of the earth. Meek and small he felt in comparison to this beast. Breaking the silence Phoenix inquiried to the bird about his current situation. "Where am I? Who are you? What are ?" he said attentively. The bird continued to sit perched on the bust. It made no movement; it showed no emotion, only sat and stared back into the eyes of a mere mortal. With little effort the Raven voiced only a single word, "Nevermore."

But the raven, sitting lonely on the placid bust, spoke only,
That one word, as if his soul in that one word he did outpour.
Nothing further then he uttered - not a feather then he fluttered -
Till I scarcely more than muttered `Other friends have flown before -
On the morrow he will leave me, as my hopes have flown before.'
Then the bird said, `Nevermore.'

Phoenix knelt on the ground as if begging the bird to let him free. "This must be hell, for no other place would be fowler." He thought to himself. The Raven sat perched in front of the portrait; it seemed as if the bird took pleasure in inducing this pain on Phoenix, although it did not show it. Fixing its gaze on Phoenix's chest he stared into it as if he wished to grasp it with its eyes. To the teenagers horror the Ravens eyes began to gleam a bright red hue. The devilish gaze of the raven sat fixed on Phoenix's heart. He implored the bird to set him free, "Let me go! What have I ever done to you? Please!" he cried. Without any movement of his head the bird squawked back that one malicious word, "Nevermore." In a sudden instant Phoenix grasped his chest. He gave out a shriek as his heart began to pound. It felt as if the raven through its staring was constricting his heart. Phoenix gasped for breath, the blood was all but blocked off from his veins. The room began to spin; the veins in his arm began to bulge from the lake of fluid. Phoenix let out one last gasp, and all the world seemed to go black. He lay there liquidated on the floor. The life seemed all but drained from his pale body. The Raven rested on the fireplace. The beast looked down at the perished being that lay strewed on the floor. A perplexing sense of evil attainment came across the birds face as it uttered that one word, as if his soul in that one word he did outpour, "Nevermore."

Startled at the stillness broken by reply so aptly spoken,
`Doubtless,' said I, `what it utters is its only stock and store,
Caught from some unhappy master whom unmerciful disaster
Followed fast and followed faster till his songs one burden bore -
Till the dirges of his hope that melancholy burden bore
Of "Never-nevermore."'

Respiring, Phoenix gulped for air. His chest lifted up and down as he struggled to catch his breath. He slowly opened his eyes. A strong light shined in his face. His vision was to blurry to make out his surroundings. Now where was he? Previous moments were spent dying on the floor of the chamber in the grasp of the raven. The perception of his surroundings began to return. The light above his face seemed to come from a lamp suspended by a mechanical arm. He attempted to move his arm to shield his eyes from the intense glare. Strangely his arms were anchored to his sides. Something was holding them down. He could feel the cold metal clamps on his arms. He now tried to move his neck, but the same situation repeated itself. A cold metal restraint prevented him from any movement. He cried out as if someone would rescue him "Someone help me! Where am I?" The trotting sounds of footsteps came towards him. "Ah yes, case #4476 has awaken." A voice of a man said. "Who are you? Where amm I.." the vociferation of more foot steps cut him off. Phoenix could now clearly see the face of the man. He was older, wrinkled. A pair of black framed glasses set on his old frail ears. His balding head was flanked by 2 strips of grey hair. "Calm down my son." the man said in an assuring tone. "You are in the SR13 research lab. Tell me, did you have any dreams of late?" questioned the man.
"SR13? What’s that? Dreams? Well I guess it was a dream, but what is it to you?" Phoenix exclaimed.
The man stroked his chin. The soft eyes of the elder looked into the youth of the younger. He opened his lips as he posed the next statement. "All will be explained later. But please tell us, what was in your dream?"

But the raven still beguiling all my sad soul into smiling,
Straight I wheeled a cushioned seat in front of bird and bust and door;
Then, upon the velvet sinking, I betook myself to linking
Fancy unto fancy, thinking what this ominous bird of yore -
What this grim, ungainly, gaunt, and ominous bird of yore
Meant in croaking `Nevermore.'

Phoenix contemplated telling the man his story. Would he even believe this extraordinary dream? Or was it even a dream? He opened his mouth to answer the question. On a whim however he decided to not tell him. "I won't tell you about my dream until you tell me what the hell is going on." Phoenix said sternly. The older man was taken aback by this answer. He seemed to think about the request.
"Very well. You are part of a project called 'Nevermore'. The propose of the project is to create a lethal warriors used to take out high value targets. You were chosen based on your psychological and medical records to be part of this project." he replied.
Phoenix was astonished at this answer. He never in his wildest dreams imagined this was going to happen. How can they just pick him of the streets and bring him here?
"Nevermore? That was in my dream." Phoenix voiced.
"Interesting.... Never before has a case had a dream of the project. We take men with mental health records that have extreme cases of depression, stress, and other mental health problems, however you are the first to have this symptom. I hope it doesn't interfere with your programing." explained the researcher.
"Programming? Your programming me?" replied Phoenix in a worried tone.
The research tried to sum it up for Phoenix. "Well... It’s uh hard to explain. You see, we take men with mental health records that have extreme cases of depression, stress, and other mental health problems as Ive said before. The reason being is because we find that the immense mental stress on the brain allows for the adrenaline levels to be bettered controlled by the brain, and thus allows us to control them with the programming."
By this time Phoenix was scared for his life. He didn’t want this to happen, he didn’t want to be a cold blooded killer controlled by someone on a whim. He struggled to break free from his bonds.
"Its no use Phoenix, you can’t escape this. Duty calls, its time to fight for king and country." rationalized the man.
"What if I don’t want to? What if I don’t want to do this? Don't I have a choice? Isn't this a free country?" he screamed.
"I'm sorry, but once the programming is complete, there is to free choice, you will be under our complete control. Theres no going back." the man sadly muttered. He felt sorry for the young man who lay on the table. He would lose his free life. To be controlled by men, ordered to kill, and fight for the rest of his useful life. Thee researcher walked out of the room and closed to door behind him. Phoenix was left in the room, alone. Tears began to stream down his face, why? Why was this happening to me? "This isn’t the life I dreamed about as a boy." Thought Phoenix. "I dreamed about having a family, a wife, and maybe even a dog. Not being programmed to be a murderer." He lay there, looking up at the ceiling. He let out a long slow breath, he thought of simpler times, when he was happy. It seemed like a bygone age since he’d been happy. He dreamed of Lenore. He could see her beautiful blonde hair and dimpled cheeks. "Why Lenore? Why don't you love me? Why don't you care about me anymore? You said we could be friends." His heart seemed to burst open inside of him. “It’s as if one day she decided to not even acknowledge me anymore, and now this. A psycho deranged teenager controlled by the government to kill.” He contemplated. "All my life for not. All my life is Nevermore." At this time Phoenix closed his eyelids. And slipped back into hibernation.

Tristan Providence
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Re: Project Nevermore| Book 1, Chronicles of Providence, Closed

Postby Tristan Providence » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:43 pm

This I sat engaged in guessing, but no syllable expressing
To the fowl whose fiery eyes now burned into my bosom's core;
This and more I sat divining, with my head at ease reclining
On the cushion's velvet lining that the lamp-light gloated o'er,
But whose velvet violet lining with the lamp-light gloating o'er,
She shall press, ah, nevermore!

Phoenix's eyes opened. He looked over his new surroundings. Where was he? He knew he was back in the word of dark dreams, but where has his dreams taken him now. His eyes traveled around a large room. It was vaguely familiar. Green chairs were set up in isles around the room. In the front was a large stage ontop of which sat a pulpit. The realization of his location came to Phoenix. He was back at his old church. He practically grew up here, for 16 years. He glanced behind himself at a clock. 10:08, right before church service. People would be coming soon. On his right 2 wooden doors opened. An elderly lady and man walked though. They gaited up the walkway to pair of seats on the far right side. More and more people began to fill the room. Young and old. Children played in the rows of seats. Teenaged guys lounged on the chairs in the raised seating. Phoenix absorbed all of this commotion as he looked around the large chapel. He fixed his gaze on a few young girls that sat gossiping in the middle of the room. Their trendy outfits and styled hair seemed perfectly matchless. The girls laughed and giggled as they went on about yesterday’s school. Sadly this was the scene that taunted Phoenix's teenaged life. He was always on the outside looking in. Never really had any friends. He watched as the girls began to file towards the back of the room where he was standing. One of these young females caught his attention. It was none other than Lenore. Her perfect hair and stain glass eyes glimmered as she gracefully stepped down the isle. Her overcoming beauty seemed to pour out from her. She began to come closer and closer to Phoenix. He knew that she was coming for him. He had to get out of there. Quickly running over to the pair of wooden doors he tried to open them. Again to his horror, much like in the chamber they were bolted shut. He shacked them vigorously trying to escape. "Please! Send me back with the raven! Don't make me stay here! Of all places!" He bawled. He could hear gentle footsteps growing closer. He feared to turn around. Dreadfully something was forcing him to. His legs seemed to be controlled by some entity. Soon he was in plain view of her. The teenaged girl of 16 years stood there staring at him. No words came from her mouth, she just sat staring. Sweat began to pour from Phoenix's skin. He didn't know what to say to her. The girl's fine lips opened as she said that one cruel word. "Nevermore."

Then, methought, the air grew denser, perfumed from an unseen censer
Swung by Seraphim whose foot-falls tinkled on the tufted floor.
`Wretch,' I cried, `thy God hath lent thee - by these angels he has sent thee
Respite - respite and nepenthe from thy memories of Lenore!
Quaff, oh quaff this kind nepenthe, and forget this lost Lenore!'
Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.

Phoenix pressed his body against the wall. He was cornered. The beautiful girl from his past has been turned into an atrocious demon. Her eyes scorned
Phoenix as she stepped ever closer to him. The air around Phoenix became dense, a malevolent feeling filled the room. The girl was now almost a yard away from Phoenix. She abruptly stopped. Silence seemed to overtake the entire world. A faint sound of flapping wings could be heard in the distance. Without warning the Beastly raven flew in through the wall as if the wall wasn’t even there. The fowl glided down onto a hand rail that oversaw the cornered Phoenix. The malicious red eyes of the bird fixed hatefully on the boy. The same taunting look the Raven gave Phoenix in the chamber came across the birds face. "Nevermore." it said in an echoing voice. Phoenix looked scornfully up at the raven. "You Wretch! How dare you even bring up these dark memories of my past! How dare you use Lenore against me?" The Raven sat unfazed. He looked over towards the girl. His bright blood red eyes peered into her mind. Lenore opened her lips once again and uttered the following painful words. "I hate you Phoenix." in a low scornful tone. Phoenix sank down. His eyes filled with tears. "No! Why? Why do you hate me? I love you Lenore! Don't leave me! Please don't hate me! Please what can I do to make it better! I just want to be your friend!" He cried as a flood of tears rolled down his cheeks. As Phoenix crouched there crying the Raven sat on his perch watching the scene. Once again the echoing voice of the beastly fowl vocalized the hateful, painful and malicious word. "Nevermore!"

`Prophet!' said I, `thing of evil! - prophet still, if bird or devil! -
Whether tempter sent, or whether tempest tossed thee here ashore,
Desolate yet all undaunted, on this desert land enchanted -
On this home by horror haunted - tell me truly, I implore -
Is there - is there balm in Gilead? - tell me - tell me, I implore!'

The stream of tears poured down Phoenix's cheeks. His eyes were red from the crying. He looked up at Lenore. Her blue eyes stared down and the moping boy. The look on her face was that of disgust and hatred. "No, No this can't be Lenore." Phoenix muttered to himself. "She my have hated me, but she would never go as far as to yell it in my face. She was so sweet, not this demon that stands before me now." He turned his eyes towards the Raven. The red eyes still looked down at him. The black feathers seemed perfectly dark. Not a single blemish. No, these aren’t real people. This is only a dark evil dream. Made up by that God forsaken beast that is perched above. His anger began to build. All of the adrenaline inside of him seemed to duplicate itself. The veins in his arms and hands shown through the skin. His eyes still red from the tears became even redder with rage. Phoenix stood up; he stared into the eyes of the demon that imitated Lenore. "You bastard. You will regret ever mocking the beauty of Lenore." At this Phoenix leaped up into the air. He lunged at the demon. His hands ripped into its esophagus pulling it straight out. Blood spattered every where. With his hands drenched in blood Phoenix burst into the crowd of demons. He used his hands and legs as if they were lethal weapons. Demons let out blood curling screams as the young man utterly mutilated them. Blood spurted all over the floor. In the end bodies littered the chapel. Phoenix breathed heavily. He looked down at the bodies that littered the ground. "So this is what the man was talking about. Unimaginable." muttering to himself. Watching this gruesome scene, the raven sat calmly perched on the handrail. "You fowl, wretch. Now it’s your turn to die!" Phoenix yelled. The Raven squawked as it flapped its wings to take off. It began to fly across the room. Before it could escape Phoenix picked up one of the surrounding chairs and threw it at the bird. Black feathers were strewn across the church as the chair hit the bird dead on. The fowl plummeted towards the ground, dead. "Now you are Nevermore." Phoenix grinned. He had never felt more powerful in his life. Suddenly all turned to darkness.

`Prophet!' said I, `thing of evil! - prophet still, if bird or devil!
By that Heaven that bends above us - by that God we both adore -
Tell this soul with sorrow laden if, within the distant Aidenn,
It shall clasp a sainted maiden whom the angels named Lenore -
Clasp a rare and radiant maiden, whom the angels named Lenore?'

Phoenix's body lay on a metal table in large white room. He seemed so lifeless. To the right an EKG machine monitored his heart rate. Beep, beep, beep. The bar on the monitor went up and down. Suddenly Phoenix's eyes shot open. He blankly stared at the ceiling, not making a move. On the far wall of the room a small door opened. In stepped to old researcher. With his arms crossed he slowly walked over to the metal table on which Phoenix lay. He glanced at the EKG machine. "Hmm pulse looks normal. Very good." he muter to himself. Looking down at Phoenix he gave the boy his first order. "Please stand up." Without hesitation Phoenix placed his bare feet on the cold floor and stood up. His arms were placed firmly at his sides at attention. "Hello, I am Doctor Lucjan, head of research at this the SR13 laboratory. You are now part of the Commonwealth Special Service department called 'Nevermore'. We have just finished the final stages of your programming. Your name is John Duane, you will answer to the Central Council and myself only. Do you understand?" asked Dr. Lucjan.
"Yes Sir!" Phoenix, who was now known as John said strongly.
"Good we now need to run some tests on you. Follow me." the Doctor said as he began walking towards the door. promptly followed the man as they left the room.

`Be that word our sign of parting, bird or fiend!' I shrieked upstarting -
`Get thee back into the tempest and the Night's Plutonian shore!
Leave no black plume as a token of that lie thy soul hath spoken!
Leave my loneliness unbroken! - quit the bust above my door!
Take thy beak from out my heart, and take thy form from off my door!'

John was taken and placed into another large white room. This time the room was set up much like an apartment. Tables, chairs, picture frames, most things you would expect in an apartment sat inside the room. Looking around the room John shuddered. His sad fancy was now even sadder. No longer was he free man; he was now under the control of men, naught of himself. Not free to love, or live. Despair was his only comfort now. Under normal circumstances John would huddle in a corner and bawl his eyes out. However he wasn’t at the liberty to do so. Waiting for a command from the researchers he stood there. On the other side of a bullet proof glass window Dr. Lucjan and a few other researchers clustered in front of a control panel. "Alright, let’s turn the AD level to 2 and see what happens." the doctor told a researcher. With that the researcher turned a small knob on the panel. A red bar on a screen slowly began to rise until it was at a point called level 2. Meanwhile John stood inside the room. He could feel his heart begin to race. His eyes dilated. Screaming and yelling John threw over a table. The rage seemed to emanate from him. Taking his fist he threw it into a ceramic lamp. Shards of the broken lamp flew everywhere. Fist bloodied and heart pounding John began to tear apart the rest of the room. The researches watched the scene. They where very please; the programming seemed to work beautifully. "Pump it up to 4, Tom." ordered the doctor. The knob was turned once again. With this John began rip apart the room, wood, glass, metal flew around as Phoenix continued his tantrum. A sly smile came across Dr. Lucjan's face. His glorious creation was now complete. He turned to the man at the control panel. "That’s enough, I think we’ve done enough for today." he said as he walked towards the door. John sat huddled in the middle of the floor. His eyes wandered around the room looking at the destruction he caused. Dr. Lucjan stood in front of him. With a few tears rolling down his cheeks, Phoenix rocked back and forth trying to comfort himself. He looked up at the doctor and whispered one word, Just one word. "Nevermore."

And the raven, never flitting, still is sitting, still is sitting
On the pallid bust of Pallas just above my chamber door;
And his eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming,
And the lamp-light o'er him streaming throws his shadow on the floor;
And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor
Shall be lifted - nevermore!

The End

OOC: Ok, its now open for comments, questions, anything. I'd love to hear some feed back. Any criticisms?
Last edited by Tristan Providence on Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to International Incidents