NATION

PASSWORD

Fox News Hosts Video of Jordanian Pilot Being Burned Alive

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Sotoan Union
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sotoan Union » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:03 am

Cannot think of a name wrote:
The Sotoan Union wrote:Stop this senseless hostility.

Look if I misunderstood your question just explain it again and there can be a discussion. It is absolutely pointless to just say I didn't understand it and not explain how.

Here's the problem, slugger. I really only have two options as to how you could possibly been mislead by the question. The first is that you're being obtuse. Not uncommon but not really worthy of kid gloves or pretending isn't fucking tedious. Certainly not something that would jibe with a desire, no matter how stated, that the person is interested in anything resembling a constructive discourse. For this option, dismissal is the only option as anything else would be tedium.

You know, like dragging this bullshit out like it was super hard to understand or just couldn't be reread by anyone possessing the most basic of reading skills and understood.

The other option is that the person being dealt with does not possess basic reading skills. Again, the best course of action is to state clearly that it is not my job to catch you up with the rest of the class and dismiss any further missives as the gibbering of someone lacking in the tools required for the conversation.

I have no reason to assume you're stupid as hell as you seem to be able to communicate in full sentences and as far as I know carry on conversations that would pass a Turing Test.

So...I'm left with the assumption you're being obtuse.

Which makes these theatrics about 'conversation' tedium.

You said...
The Sotoan Union wrote: This is happening and you can't pretend it isn't.

I asked "Who is pretending this isn't happening?"

See those bolded words? The ones that clearly indicate what part of the post the question was directed at? Of course you do. Did you answer that question? No you did not. You gave me some nonsense about being force to watch. What in the wide world of sports does that have to do with pretending these things aren't happening?

Fucking nothing. Not a damn sausage. But you said it. Why? We already established that you're not a goddamned idiot. Because that's the conversation you want to have. Because when you're actually confronted with the rhetoric about people 'pretending these things aren't happening' you're forced to admit that no one is pretending these things aren't happening and has fuck all to do with a decision to show it.

You said some empty ass bullshit and got called on it.

Own it.

“After the post went off, after it was a sure thing that NS could be wiped out with the furious tirade that had been written, a poster turned to Cannot Think of a Name and said, 'NS has now known butthurt.' And do you know what Cannot Think of a Name said? He said, 'What is butthurt?”

Dread Lady Nathicana
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Dread Lady Nathicana » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:27 am

The Sotoan Union wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:Here's the problem, slugger. I really only have two options as to how you could possibly been mislead by the question. The first is that you're being obtuse. Not uncommon but not really worthy of kid gloves or pretending isn't fucking tedious. Certainly not something that would jibe with a desire, no matter how stated, that the person is interested in anything resembling a constructive discourse. For this option, dismissal is the only option as anything else would be tedium.

You know, like dragging this bullshit out like it was super hard to understand or just couldn't be reread by anyone possessing the most basic of reading skills and understood.

The other option is that the person being dealt with does not possess basic reading skills. Again, the best course of action is to state clearly that it is not my job to catch you up with the rest of the class and dismiss any further missives as the gibbering of someone lacking in the tools required for the conversation.

I have no reason to assume you're stupid as hell as you seem to be able to communicate in full sentences and as far as I know carry on conversations that would pass a Turing Test.

So...I'm left with the assumption you're being obtuse.

Which makes these theatrics about 'conversation' tedium.

You said...

I asked "Who is pretending this isn't happening?"

See those bolded words? The ones that clearly indicate what part of the post the question was directed at? Of course you do. Did you answer that question? No you did not. You gave me some nonsense about being force to watch. What in the wide world of sports does that have to do with pretending these things aren't happening?

Fucking nothing. Not a damn sausage. But you said it. Why? We already established that you're not a goddamned idiot. Because that's the conversation you want to have. Because when you're actually confronted with the rhetoric about people 'pretending these things aren't happening' you're forced to admit that no one is pretending these things aren't happening and has fuck all to do with a decision to show it.

You said some empty ass bullshit and got called on it.

Own it.

“After the post went off, after it was a sure thing that NS could be wiped out with the furious tirade that had been written, a poster turned to Cannot Think of a Name and said, 'NS has now known butthurt.' And do you know what Cannot Think of a Name said? He said, 'What is butthurt?”

The Sotoan Union & Cannot think of a name: Both of you have been *** Warned for baiting ***

The Sotoan Union was much more deliberate and without any argument to back it up, mind. But CToaN crossed lines in their attempt to point out the failings in their opponent's arguments. Keep it chilly, folks. Please.

Hladgos
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Hladgos » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:30 am

While it's kinda disrespectful to the pilot, it gives a clear statement that can be interperated quite a few different ways. I think it would be eye-opening if the news began to report like they did during the Vietnam war and get more footage of what it's like.
Divair wrote:Hladcore.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:You're a nut. I like that.
Pro: being outside, conserving our Earth, the pursuit of happiness, universal acceptance
Anti: ignorance and intolerance
Life is suffering. Suffering is caused by craving and aversion. Suffering can be overcome and happiness can be attained. Live a moral life.

"Life would be tragic if it weren't funny." -Stephen Hawking

"The purpose of our life is to be happy." -Dali Lama

"If I had no sense of humor, I would have long ago committed suicide." -Gandhi

"Don't worry, be happy!" -Bobby McFerrin

Silly Pride

"No." -Dya

Kravanica
Senator

Founded: Aug 07, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Kravanica » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:18 am

Ah, I see the whole "Faux New heuheuheu" circljerk has already begun.

But anyway, good on them. People need to be shown the horror and depravity of ISIS so they can fully understand why we need to wipe them off the face of the earth.
The Kravanican Realm (PMT)
I support Thermonuclear Warfare. Do you?
My nation does not represent my RL views

American and Jewish
Conservatarian with various "right-wing" leanings

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:53 am

Ethel mermania wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:Oh, purely Western values. It's wonderful that you view ideals such as personal liberty and mutual tolerance as being solely the domain of the West; that's not racist in the least.

Western notion of personal liberty comes out of "the enlightenment", is there an non western world equivalent?

Yes. Islamic golden age secularism. But we don't hear about that because the Mongols happened.

Funny how we don't consider Communism or Fascism as Western values despite it coming from the Western world.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Valica
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Valica » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:35 am

Norstal wrote:Funny how we don't consider Communism or Fascism as Western values despite it coming from the Western world.

The same reason we don't consider Nazism a Western value.
Bad ideas are bad.
Last edited by Valica on Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a cis-het male. Ask me about my privilege.

Valica is like America with a very conservative economy and a liberal social policy.

Population - 750,500,000

Army - 3,250,500
Navy - 2,000,000
Special Forces - 300,000

5 districts
20 members per district in the House of Representatives
10 members per district in the Senate

Political affiliation - Centrist / Humanist

Religion - Druid

For: Privacy, LGBT Equality, Cryptocurrencies, Free Web, The Middle Class, One-World Government

Against: Nationalism, Creationism, Right to Segregate, Fundamentalism, ISIS, Communism
( -4.38 | -4.31 )
"If you don't use Linux, you're doing it wrong."

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Rich Port » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:42 am

Cetacea wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:
As opposed to the sensibilities of vultures and Communists?

Unless you're going argue against journalistic ethics, older probably than you are, you should go watch FAUX News instead of posting here.

What does it have to do with journalistic ethics? If Fox has the highest ratings in the US then their success is based on giving the US public what they want to see and hear, including this particular video.

Are you calling the Fox Watching American public vultures and communist?

I'm calling FAUX News vultures and communists.

You're right. This has nothing to do with journalistic ethics. Because FAUX News has none.
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Norstal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:16 pm

Valica wrote:
Norstal wrote:Funny how we don't consider Communism or Fascism as Western values despite it coming from the Western world.

The same reason we don't consider Nazism a Western value.
Bad ideas are bad.

They are bad ideas. But CM replied to a post saying that positive values like freedom and liberty as a solely Western value. Which, it is certainly not. Just as Nazism isn't a Western value. Restoring what Islam had before wouldn't be enforcing the white man's burden, anymore than liberating Vichy France would be colonization.

-Ebola-
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby -Ebola- » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:10 pm

Valica wrote:I don't know... the Middle East and Africa are in a bad place right now with ISIS and Boko Haram.
Something has to be done.

Boko Haram is not a continent-wide problem afflicting Africa. They are specifically in Nigeria and a few areas of other countries that border Nigeria.

Maybe if people learned some geography Westerners wouldn't have such a negative view of Africa. Nobody cites Kim Jong Un as evidence that "Asia" is a fucked up place.

What do you think about Fox showing the video, NSG?

I have no desire to watch the video, but that's OK because I don't watch Fox anyway.
There are viruses on the internet! Make sure your computer is protected.
African, asexual, and proud.
Racism is foolish. You're all the same inside. I would know.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:59 pm

Norstal wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:Western notion of personal liberty comes out of "the enlightenment", is there an non western world equivalent?

Yes. Islamic golden age secularism. But we don't hear about that because the Mongols happened.

Funny how we don't consider Communism or Fascism as Western values despite it coming from the Western world.

That while interesting and informative, thanK you, does not describe a notion of personal liberty it does Describe a distinction between political and religious spheres of influence, which was not my understanding.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Zottistan
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Zottistan » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:10 pm

Showing videos like this is an important part of impartial news reporting.

That said, I'm not going to call Fox News impartial.
Ireland, BCL and LLM, Training Barrister, Cismale Bi Dude and Gym-Bro, Generally Boring Socdem Eurocuck

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:26 pm

I appreciate seeing the real news, not the censored news.

Besides, they all ready show us the burning wreckage of cars and trucks, after a bland warning: "The following is not for younger viewers."
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Norstal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:50 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Norstal wrote:Yes. Islamic golden age secularism. But we don't hear about that because the Mongols happened.

That while interesting and informative, thanK you, does not describe a notion of personal liberty it does Describe a distinction between political and religious spheres of influence, which was not my understanding.

That's how it started in the early days of American colonialism too.

Would this be better? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_Go ... Expression

As CM said, basic civil rights did not come solely from the Western world.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:21 am

Norstal wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:That while interesting and informative, thanK you, does not describe a notion of personal liberty it does Describe a distinction between political and religious spheres of influence, which was not my understanding.

That's how it started in the early days of American colonialism too.

Would this be better? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_Go ... Expression

As CM said, basic civil rights did not come solely from the Western world.

Yes, thats on point, much better thank you. As to early colonial period where wod be the questkon, in Boston there was no religious freeDom. In new york, a reasonable bit.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General