NATION

PASSWORD

Gregoryisgodistan & Star United States Bid for BoF 58

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]
Gregoryisgodistan
Senator

Founded: Jun 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Gregoryisgodistan & Star United States Bid for BoF 58

Postby Gregoryisgodistan » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:24 am

Gregoryisgodistan and Star United States
Bid for Baptism of Fire 58

Gregoryisgodistan: IC information: Gregoryisgodistan is a nation located in Esportiva and ruled by Lord Almighty Gregory, who is worshiped as a deity within that nation. Gregoryisgodistan’s soccer team, the Foot Slaves, made their debut at Baptism of Fire 53 and World Cup 66. Although they have never qualified for the World Cup, they have advanced to the Cup of Harmony knockout stage three times, including two trips to the semifinals and one trip to the finals. They have the ignominious distinction of being the highest-ranked team never to qualify for the World Cup.

Since Gregoryisgodistan has a number of unusual laws, which will be discussed more in the IC thread, all participants and fans at the Baptism of Fire will be issued special papers certifying that they are there for that purpose. As long as they have those papers on them at all times, they will not be subject to the more extreme laws of the nation, such as the death penalty for saying "coconut" or farting. However, if they do not have said papers, they will be subject to all the laws. In any case, they will still be subject to the laws against murder, assault etc. which are punishable by death. This allows participants a chance to avoid having to RP being subject to the extreme laws if they don't want to, while still having a chance to RP it if they wish.

Gregoryisgodistan: OOC information Gregoryisgodistan has hosted International Baseball Slam IV, Handball World Cup 12, Baptism of Iron XVI, Baptism of Iron XVII, and the Almighty Ten Conference of the NSCAA (which actually had 16 teams.) The two Baptisms of Iron were huge successes with very active participation by new participants in the gridiron community. This will give Gregoryisgodistan valuable experience in hosting a tournament for new users, in spite of the lack of WCC hosting experience. One of the staples of his two BOI bids was the constructive criticism and advice given to participants in the tournament following its conclusion, and that practice will be continued in this tournament should this bid win the host rights. (See below for more details.)

Star United States - IC Information
Star United States is currently coming out of a civil war, and is prospering under the new government. Diversity is a word that completely describes Star United States in many ways from culture, to food, to languages, and to wonderful sights in all the six districts of Star United States. Star United States, located in Esportiva, is home to many animal species that reside in the rainforest, or on the National Reserve and Zoo. The country is full of many languages from around the multiverse, but the three most notable ones are English (Estrall, Herbeid, and Piaxse Districts); Spanish (Starix, and Opangue Districts); and Portuguese (Islands). They are all official languages of Star United States.

The country also has seven distinct islands, which are known as: Alegria, Ilha do Sur, Ilha Central, Paz, Ilha Recife, Sorriso e Ilha do Norte. The most spoken language of the islands is Portuguese. Spanish and English are spoken as well, just not as common. Stary Bay is a major political center on the islands and is on Ilha Recife.

Star United States - OOC Information: The user behind Star United States has been around since February 20, 2012. Star United States has hosted various tournaments, such as the First, Fourth, and Fifth Star Triathlon Worldwide Tournament; International FireStorm Cup VI; Triathlon World Championship (co-hosted); Five-A-Side World Cup II; Quidditch World Cup VII; Fourth Runner Cup (co-hosted); and also a league of sports.

Format: Ideally, the number of teams would be a multiple of 8, to allow for 8 groups. If this is the case, the top two teams in each group will advance and we will proceed like in the World Cup and Cup of Harmony. Teams from Groups A-D would play in Gregoryisgodistan through the semifinal, while teams in Groups E-H will play in Star United States through the semifinal. The third place match will be at Estádio da Baía in Star United States, while the Final will be at Lord Almighty Gregory National Stadium in Gregoryisgodistan. All games played in Gregoryisgodistan will be scorinated by Gregoryisgodistan, and all games played in Star United States will be scorinated by Star United States.

If we find it necessarily to add a puppet, or two, it will be done. These puppets would automatically be placed in groups to be scorinated by the other host. In the highly unlikely event that one of these puppets advances to the final or third place game, the other host will scorinate that match. Should they wind up playing each other in that game, a third-party host would be sought at that time.

Scorination and Bonus: Xkoronate SQIS will be used for scorination, with style modifiers ranging from -5 (most defensive) to +5 (most offensive). As all participating nations have a rank of 0, we don’t feel the need to disclose the maximum bonus per matchday as it is inconsequential. However, we will disclose that a roster will be graded as an extra matchday’s worth of bonus. RP Bonus will be cumulative. As usual, quality over quantity is what matters, though simply posting “We won #woohoo” would earn a very small RP bonus. We will take into account, and completely understand, that not all users’ native language is English, and will grade RPs accordingly.

Tiebreakers:

The tiebreakers are as follows:

Goal Difference
Goals For
Head to Head Record
Head to Head Goal Difference
Head to Head Goals For
Playoff if necessary to determine advancement, otherwise random draw

Other Information:

Because this is a tournament for newcomers, some helpful feedback will be offered. First of all, both hosts would post significant background information of their nations and the venues before the tournament starts, to offer a basis for RP. The most important innovation will happen after the tournament concludes. The hosts will send a TG to every new nation (i.e. not puppets or returning users) that posted at least 1 RP during the tournament offering some constructive feedback on what we think they did well and offering some advice as to what they could work on to become a better RPer. The purpose of the Baptism of Fire is not just to get ranking points. It's to help users prepare for the World Cup and the rest of the NSSports World. If there are any experienced nations who happen to be signing up for their first World Cup, but have significant experience elsewhere on NSSports and think this would not be helpful, they can TG the hosts at any point before the end of the tournament to opt out. Ideally, we would be using 8 groups and the same host would be reading and grading all of a team’s RPs throughout the tournament (with the possible exception of the third place game or final.) This allows that host to get a better feel for those RP’s, and therefore that host would be the one to send the advice. That is another one of the reasons we wanted to go with 8 groups if at all possible. In the event it is absolutely impossible to go with 8 groups, it is possible that a user’s RPs will be read and graded by more than one host. In that case, the hosts will decide between themselves who will take which users who they have both graded.

Additionally, following the Final, there will be an all-star game featuring the best players from the Starian half of the tournament against the best players from the Gregoryisgodistani half of the tournament. The players will be selected by the hosts based on how well users RPed during the tournaments, not just on which players were RP’ed as being best. Obviously, we will base which players we select from each team on who was RP’ed as being best, but if the RPs only consist of “john smith scored 3 goals 2day, to of dem were on bicicile kix an on was from 80 meterz and we won #lolomz” then John Smith is not getting selected no matter how good he was supposed to be.

Each host will select the players for their half’s all-star team. The rosters will be announced shortly after the conclusion of the tournament, with the game to follow no more than 48 hours after the rosters are announced. The Star United States All-Stars will be coached by Starian head coach Luke Curtis, while the Gregoryisgodistan All-Stars will be coached by Gregoryisgodistani head coach Horse Beater KFIU9140. The game will be scorinated complete with summary of what happened, who scored, etc.

Please feel free to ask any questions via posting in this thread, telegram, or IRC. Thank you.

By the way, thanks to Red Blackiland for creating the logo. If you like it (or don't), then you have him to thank.
Last edited by Gregoryisgodistan on Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gregoryisgodistan, population 75,000,000. All citizens are required to worship Lord Almighty Gregory, our head of state, as a deity.
IBS II Champions
Beach Cup IX Round of 16
World Indoor Soccer Championship 6 - 2nd place
BoI XIV Champion
IBS III Champions
WCoH 22 Round of 16
WB XXII 10th Place in Casaran, advanced to Round of 32
IBS IV host, champion
4th in WCoH 23
WBC 29 QF
HWC 12 hosts
WJHC VI 2nd place,
CoH 60 4th place
WCoH XXIV Champs
CoH 61 Runner-Up
IBS VI Champs
BOI XVI Host
IBS VII Champs
WCoH XXV 2nd Place
WBC 32 2nd Place
IBS VIII host and champs
WBC 33 Host/QF
WCoH 27 co-host and champs
WC 72 Qualifier
WBC 34 champs
CoH 67 Third place

Semarland
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Semarland » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:55 am

Solid bid indeed.
The Republic of Semarland
Capital: Jansberg - Demonym: Semar/Semarlandic - Trigramme: SEM
sportsat.sem
Hosted: Trindl Cup I/II, Baptism of Fire 68
Champions: Meski Cup I, 5AS WC II, U18 WC I
<Nephara> RETURN OF Sem|Transfers THE PEOPLES' CHAMPION
<Jeck> If Sem RPs as much as he transfers, next cycle we're all screwed
<Yttribia> Sem seems like the sort of guy who'd work at Tesco's and slide his mixtape in each bag

San Jose Guayabal
Minister

Founded: Mar 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby San Jose Guayabal » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:40 am

Guys, this is a solid bid in all sense of the word, I specially like the feedback help from the hosts and the focus that the bid is trying to do with new players, in order to make them improve on RPing, excelent idea.

My only questions are: Will the players stay safe on Gregoryisgodistan? (IC) and how will be the procedure of security.

Those "best RPed players" from "x" team will receive a little RP bonus by the fact of RPing "better" than the rest?
Not so active as before - Hail Alianza FC! - Football is my drug, Alianza FC my dealer!

Gregoryisgodistan
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Gregoryisgodistan » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:02 am

San Jose Guayabal wrote:Guys, this is a solid bid in all sense of the word, I specially like the feedback help from the hosts and the focus that the bid is trying to do with new players, in order to make them improve on RPing, excelent idea.

My only questions are: Will the players stay safe on Gregoryisgodistan? (IC) and how will be the procedure of security.

Yes, the players will be safe in Gregoryisgodistan, as long as they keep the papers explaining they are there for the tournament with them at all times and don't commit any "normal" crimes like murder or assault. As mentioned above, the reason for the papers is so that they won't have to RP being subject to all the crazy laws, but still can if they want to simply by having their player lose or forget their papers.

Those "best RPed players" from "x" team will receive a little RP bonus by the fact of RPing "better" than the rest?

I'm not sure what this is asking. Better RP will earn more RP Bonus, but that seems too obvious to be what you're asking. I'm not really clear on the question, though. If you're asking whether there will be any extra RP Bonus for those teams who get players named to the all-star game, the answer is no, since the all-star teams will not be selected until after the final. Of course, those teams with players named to the all-star game would likely be those with a high RP Bonus to begin with since they were the best RPers. Actually, I just spoke with SJG via IRC as I was replying. Basically, RPing well in an effort to get players on the All-Star XI team won't be treated any differently in terms of RP Bonus than RPing something else equally well. However, to clarify, you do not need to nominate players for them to be considered for the all-star XI. If you want to write a bio about a player, that's OK, and it will be treated as any other RP, but as long as you include the player in your roster (and your starting lineup, unless he's a "supersub"), he will be eligible for consideration if you RP him doing anything, even normal game summaries.
Gregoryisgodistan, population 75,000,000. All citizens are required to worship Lord Almighty Gregory, our head of state, as a deity.
IBS II Champions
Beach Cup IX Round of 16
BoI XIV Champion
IBS III Champions
WCoH 22 Round of 16
IBS IV host, champion
4th in WCoH 23
WBC 29 QF
HWC 12 hosts
WJHC VI 2nd place,
CoH 60 4th place
WCoH XXIV Champs
CoH 61 Runner-Up
IBS VI Champs
BOI XVI Host
IBS VII Champs
WCoH XXV 2nd Place
WBC 32 2nd Place
IBS VIII host and champs
WBC 33 Host/QF
WCoH 27 co-host and champs
WC 72 Qualifier
WBC 34 champs
CoH 67 Third place

San Jose Guayabal
Minister

Founded: Mar 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby San Jose Guayabal » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:04 am

Well, with that answers in mind, I'm sure on voting for this.
Not so active as before - Hail Alianza FC! - Football is my drug, Alianza FC my dealer!

Gregoryisgodistan
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Gregoryisgodistan » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:56 pm

Cross-posting this from the Mizu/EQS bid since it should be here as well.
Gregoryisgodistan wrote:
San Jose Guayabal wrote:A good couple here, and extremely good hosts, with good dedication in this, good bid while reading the overall details but I have something to ask.

Considering that we have now two bids, what does this bid look different if we compare the details with the other bid, which are the strong points of this?

EQS is absolutely correct that this question should have been asked of both host bids, not just his, so I'm going to reply here too. Yes, SUS and I do not have as much experience as this bid, though I do have experience hosting the Baptism of Iron twice, which is the gridiron equivalent. Both tournaments were highly successful and had active RP, aside from me getting temporarily banned during one of them, forcing a delay in the tournament. (I'm not going to comment on the merits of that ban, since I don't want to get banned again, but use your own judgment in whether or not it was my fault. I will point out, however, that it was retroactively changed to a warning.) I understand the BoF is a lot bigger than the BoI, but the most recent BoI had 32 users, which is about how many signups there currently are for the BoF. While neither of us has WCC experience, I do have experience with tournaments of similar size and target and am more than capable of co-hosting the Baptism of Fire. Additionally, our bid will involve a teaching experience in that all new RPers will receive helpful advice and constructive criticism to guide them in the NS Sport future. The Baptism of Fire isn't just about ranking points and winning - it's a learning experience for new users. Our bid would help with that.

Finally, I have a question for EQS - how will you ensure that you do not have the same computer access issues that you have had in the World Bowl twice so far and had previously in other tournaments? A delay in the tournament would be far more discouraging for new users than it is for people with NS Sports experience, and may lead them to get discouraged and give up. Nobody with months or years of experience, like the vast majority of the people in the World Bowl, is going to get bored and quit because the tournament is delayed for one day. But someone with a week of experience, participating in their first tournament, might.

And since I had a tournament delayed before too due to my ban, I will say that the fact that I am co-hosting with SUS means that in the unlikely event I am banned again (which I don't plan on), I can TG the results from my side to him and he can post them.
Last edited by Gregoryisgodistan on Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IBS II Champions
Beach Cup IX Round of 16
BoI XIV Champion
IBS III Champions
WCoH 22 Round of 16
IBS IV host, champion
4th in WCoH 23
WBC 29 QF
HWC 12 hosts
WJHC VI 2nd place,