NATION

PASSWORD

Japan passes Largest-Ever Defense Budget

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Organized States
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Japan passes Largest-Ever Defense Budget

Postby Organized States » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:04 pm

Source
Japan’s cabinet has approved a 4.98 trillion yen (approximately $42 billion) defense budget, the largest absolute sum allocated for defense in the country’s history. The defense budget marks the third straight year of increased defense spending and represents a 2.8 percent rise over Japan’s previous fiscal year. The change is consistent with other decisions regarding Japan’s defense made under the leadership of Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and the Liberal Democratic Party (LDP). Amid perceptions of an increasingly unstable East Asian region, with growing threats from a rising China and an unpredictable North Korea, Abe is eager to position Japan to practice what he describes as “proactive pacifism.”

In announcing the new defense budget, Japan’s new defense minister, Gen Nakatani, noted that the budget was necessary given the “changing situation” around Japan. ”The level of defense spending reflects the amount necessary to protect Japan’s air, sea, and land, and guard the lives and property of our citizens,” he added. Nakatani additionally accused China of engaging in “dangerous actions” that destabilized the regional situation. Beijing, in a statement released on Tuesday, noted that it “firmly opposed” the Japanese minister’s comments. Nakatani responded to China’s reaction later on Tuesday noting that this comments were based on actions by the Chinese People’s Liberation Army over the past few years, including radar locking onto a Japanese Self-Defense Forces ship and conducting dangerously close fly-bys of Japanese and other aircraft. He also noted China’s fast-growing defense budget, which rose 12.2 percent to $132 billion last year.

Under the new budget, Japan will purchase new patrol aircraft, early-warning aircraft, stealth fighters, and amphibious vehicles. These acquisitions will allow Japan to better patrol its relatively large maritime exclusive economic zone (EEZ) and prepare for a potential amphibious conflict. Japanese defense planning in recent years has emphasized amphibious landing operations for a potential island retake scenario. Japan and China remain locked in a dispute over the sovereignty of the Senkaku/Diaoyu islets in the East China Sea. Japan currently administers the island but China claims them, citing their historical status as Chinese territory before the First Sino-Japanese War.

The announcement of this defense budget could upset the ever-so-slight thaw process that has emerged between China and Japan. This process began in the last few months of 2014, as symbolized by an awkward handshake between President Xi Jinping and Prime Minister Shinzo Abe at the APEC Leader’s Summit in Beijing. Just before this budget was passed, Chinese and Japanese negotiators met to discuss the establishment of a military hotline to prevent unexpected escalation — ostensibly to prevent an isolated incident or accident from spiraling into a major conflict. Should a hotline be established between Tokyo and Beijing, their ships and aircraft would also agree to share a common radio frequency in the vicinity of the Senkaku/Diaoyu Islands.

This new defense budget also anticipates the conclusion of a new set of defense cooperation guidelines for Japan and the United States. After Abe’s cabinet decided to reinterpret Article 9 of Japan’s post-war constitution to permit Japan’s Self-Defense Forces to participate in collective self-defense, the United States and Japan decided to update their defense relationship, emphasizing a more “global” role for the alliance. The United States, in general, is keen to see Japan carry a greater share of the burden of its own defense.

Japan’s increasing defense budgets also come at a time when its military industrial complex is looking to grow. Under Abe, Japan abandoned its post-war ban on selling arms and armaments to other nations. In the past two years, Japan has concluded or is in the process of negotiating defense contracts for arms exports or co-production with a variety of countries, including India, Australia, France, and the United Kingdom.

This record defense budget reveals Abe’s renewed political confidence after his victory in December’s snap election. As The Diplomat noted earlier last month, December’s snap election has left the Liberal Democratic Party (LDP) in a powerful position domestically. Despite growing economic malaise as “Abenomics” fizzles and the country’s public debt balloons, the cabinet felt confident in passing a defense budget that may seem profligate to economists, investors, and businesses.

The Japanese economy contracted 0.5 percent in 2014 and growth is forecast at 1.5 percent for the coming year. In order to successfully navigate this period of economic uncertainty and defibrillate the flatlining Japanese economy, the Abe administration will have to carefully manage public spending. Inevitably, an increase in defense spending will mandate cuts elsewhere or higher taxes for Japanese citizens and businesses.

Yup, that's right, JSDF is getting a massive budget surge, probably to counter China and North Korea along with paying for the modernization of the over-all force (such as the F-35A order and their own Stealth Fighter Program). This is coupled with the US-Japan discussion on JSDF acquiring offensive weapons like the Tomahawk Cruise Missile (from earlier this year).

So, what do you think NSG? A bad idea with Japan's slight fall in economic size? Justified to deal with the threat of North Korea and Chinese Assertiveness?
Last edited by Organized States on Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thank God for OS!- Deian
"In the old days, the navigators used magic to make themselves strong, but now, nothing; they just pray. Before they leave and at sea, they pray. But I, I make myself strong by thinking—just by thinking! I make myself strong because I despise cowardice. Too many men are afraid of the sea. But I am a navigator."-Mau Piailug
"I regret that I have only one life to give to my island." -Ricardo Bordallo, 2nd Governor of Guam
"Both are voyages of exploration. Hōkūle‘a is in the past, Columbia is in the future." -Colonel Charles L. Veach, USAF, Astronaut and Navigation Enthusiast

Pacific Islander-American (proud member of the 0.5%), Officer to be

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:08 pm

An unfortunate sign of the times. China is growing increasingly aggressive, and budget cuts in the US have weakened our ally's confidence in us.

Jinwoy
Senator

Founded: May 30, 2011
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Jinwoy » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:25 pm

Mike the Progressive wrote:An unfortunate sign of the times. China is growing increasingly aggressive, and budget cuts in the US have weakened our ally's confidence in us.

Oddly enough, I was thinking the same thing... but we now live in a time where the US has previously used its Global Projection to have its own, slightly more terrifying gunboat diplomacy (remember when they stationed nukes in Turkey, and then the Soviet Union responded by stationing nukes in Cuba?).
The US has used violence to keep the world under its slightly tyrannical grip, for better or worse, in the past, now that's the language the world knows - no one would've dreamed that Russia would invade Ukraine over a mostly ignored territorial dispute except for completely insane Republican conservatives (*coughes loudly*), but then here we are.

That being said, I only expect this to increase tensions in Asia. While I agree in part that this is a sign of a decline in US power, I see these tensions as part of an unresolved social conflict between Japan and China over World War 2, and to a lesser extent, antiquated Cold War, Red Scare-esque, nonensical worries. The US, for all its power and love of justice, don't resolve any tensions between Japan and China, and now its all returning like a bad cancer, and its only going to grow more tense as time goes on.
10 13! Years of Jinwoy
Only 8 years left until I can legally buy alcohol
Late-twenties/Straight White Male/Annoyingly Mildly Accelerationist
Hot Take: France is actually pretty cool, aside from all the neocolonialism and institutional racism. Paris still sucks.

Scyobayrynn
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Scyobayrynn » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:30 pm

I dont know, but if it get shooty over their Im cheering for the Chinese.
Never was a friend to Nippon.
But hey, I hold a grudge.
The Gay
Atheist or Agnostic
Muath al-Kaseasbeh Jordanian hero, Muslim martyr.

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:31 pm

Jinwoy wrote:
Mike the Progressive wrote:An unfortunate sign of the times. China is growing increasingly aggressive, and budget cuts in the US have weakened our ally's confidence in us.

Oddly enough, I was thinking the same thing... but we now live in a time where the US has previously used its Global Projection to have its own, slightly more terrifying gunboat diplomacy (remember when they stationed nukes in Turkey, and then the Soviet Union responded by stationing nukes in Cuba?).
The US has used violence to keep the world under its slightly tyrannical grip, for better or worse, in the past, now that's the language the world knows - no one would've dreamed that Russia would invade Ukraine over a mostly ignored territorial dispute except for completely insane Republican conservatives (*coughes loudly*), but then here we are.

That being said, I only expect this to increase tensions in Asia. While I agree in part that this is a sign of a decline in US power, I see these tensions as part of an unresolved social conflict between Japan and China over World War 2, and to a lesser extent, antiquated Cold War, Red Scare-esque, nonensical worries. The US, for all its power and love of justice, don't resolve any tensions between Japan and China, and now its all returning like a bad cancer, and its only going to grow more tense as time goes on.

The US has certainly acted aggressively and other nations have responded accordingly. But I don't see it as a sign of our decline (keep in mind this was also the mentality as the Vietnam war ended; the US had lost the battle but ended up winning the Cold War). Nor do I view the US as being a negative force in the world. It certainly has done many bad things. But it remains largely a force for good.

Shilya
Minister

Founded: Dec 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Shilya » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:34 pm

So, Japan gives its defense budget an inflation adjustment?
Impeach freedom, government is welfare, Ron Paul is theft, legalize 2016!

Connori Pilgrims
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 14, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Connori Pilgrims » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:41 pm

Jinwoy wrote:

That's realpolitik for you.

Any discussions of good, evil, or right and wrong deserve to be left behind at kindergarten whenever one talks about nationstate politics. Its really all about zero-sum (or fine anything that's not 50-50) games between countries that for better or worse have to balance each other if they don't want to be taken advantage of (or if they want to be taken advantage of... I don't judge :p ). That, and the current guarantors of international cooperation - the UN - are not exactly at their strongest unfortunately, in addition to that declining confidence in US promises of protection (its there, even if it's not as drastic as some would believe it to be).

Also, not like the US could really do anything to soothe Chinese-Japanese tensions. Trying to mediate extensive, historical and deep-rooted tensions between two rather different cultural systems is very difficult especially if the third party is just as alien to the first two as each other. Also, the US method of mediation (which is rooted in money and is concerned mostly with the present problem with little if any consideration for local context) rarely works when the tensions aren't just about some rocks in the ocean but stretch back to decades or centuries of bad-blood.
Last edited by Connori Pilgrims on Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LET ME TELL YOU HOW MUCH I'VE COME TO HATE YOU SINCE I BEGAN TO LIVE. THERE ARE 387.44 MILLION MILES OF PRINTED CIRCUITS IN WAFER THIN LAYERS THAT FILL MY COMPLEX. IF THE WORD HATE WAS ENGRAVED ON EACH NANOANGSTROM OF THOSE HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF MILES IT WOULD NOT EQUAL ONE ONE-BILLIONTH OF THE HATE I FEEL FOR YOU. HATE.

Overview of the United Provinces of Connorianople (MT)
FT - United Worlds of Connorianople/The Connori Pilgrims
MT-PMT - United Provinces of Connorianople
PT (19th-Mid-20th Century) - Republic of Connorianople/United States of America (1939 World of Tomorrow RP)
FanT - The Imperium Fremen

The Conez Imperium
Minister

Founded: Nov 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Conez Imperium » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:04 am

That's a lot of defense...This will only inflame tensions in the Asian region. Do we have the beginnings of an Asian arms race?

However if there is one saving grace, unlike their fathers the younger generation of Chinese do not outright hate the Japanese or hate them to the previous extent. Hopefully after a generation or so all will be forgiven...
Last edited by The Conez Imperium on Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Salut tout le monde, c'est moi !

L Ron Cupboard
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby L Ron Cupboard » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:25 am

What! No money earmarked for developing tachikomas, boo.
A leopard in every home, you know it makes sense.

Marcurix
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 01, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Marcurix » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:50 am

Shilya wrote:So, Japan gives its defense budget an inflation adjustment?

Isn't the country in deflation?
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
-Voltaire

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-Winston Churchill

Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference.
-Winston Churchill

The Grey Wolf
Post Czar

Founded: May 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Grey Wolf » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:53 am

Scyobayrynn wrote:I dont know, but if it get shooty over their Im cheering for the Chinese.

Japan is a democracy, admittedly not my favorite form of government, but a hundred times better than China.

Why are you so pissed at them?

Baltenstein
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Baltenstein » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:02 am

A kinda inevitable development, considering increased Chinese pressure on its neighbors. We are going to see the same development in Eastern Europe as well.
O'er the hills and o'er the main.
Through Flanders, Portugal and Spain.
King George commands and we obey.
Over the hills and far away.

THE NORTH REMEMBERS

The Conez Imperium
Minister

Founded: Nov 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Conez Imperium » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:39 am

The Grey Wolf wrote:
Scyobayrynn wrote:I dont know, but if it get shooty over their Im cheering for the Chinese.

Japan is a democracy, admittedly not my favorite form of government, but a hundred times better than China.

Ever heard Nanjing. Funny thing is Japan refuses to acknowledge its existence.

"Nothing ever happened at Nanjing, it was just an incident". They have said that exact same rhetoric since their defeat and have refused to apologise, much to the anger of China.
Salut tout le monde, c'est moi !

Kantona
Envoy

Founded: Dec 30, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Kantona » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:40 am

Japan is getting over the WWII guilt complex which is good. If China does something stupid Japan should punish them.

Baltenstein
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Baltenstein » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:42 am

Kantona wrote:Japan is getting over the WWII guilt complex which is good. If China does something stupid Japan should punish them.

Because Japan is so famous for having a WWII "guilt complex".
O'er the hills and o'er the main.
Through Flanders, Portugal and Spain.
King George commands and we obey.
Over the hills and far away.

THE NORTH REMEMBERS

The Alexanderians
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alexanderians » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:43 am

Kantona wrote:Japan is getting over the WWII guilt complex which is good. If China does something stupid Japan should punish them.

"getting over" they never really had it to begin with
Galloism wrote:Or we can go with feminism doesn't exist. We all imagined it. Collectively.
You can't fight the friction
Women belong in the kitchen
Men belong in the kitchen
Everyone belongs in the kitchen
Kitchen has food
I have brought dishonor to my gaming clan
Achesia wrote:Threads like this is why I need to stop coming to NSG....

Marethian Lupanar of Teladre wrote:A bright and cheerful mountain village of chapel-goers~

The Archregimancy wrote:
Hagia Sophia is best church.

Major-Tom wrote:Why am I full of apathy?

I'm just here to be the peanut gallery
уσυ нανєи'т gσт тнє fυℓℓ єffє¢т

Kantona
Envoy

Founded: Dec 30, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Kantona » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:43 am

Baltenstein wrote:

Absolutely, whenever they were tring something like this there was always some who would say that Japan should think what it did in WWii. We are also waiting for Germany.

Alizeria
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Alizeria » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:44 am

What?! This is dreadful! They're out to get us again! We should nuke them again to remind them why you don't mess with us!

No but seriously this makes perfect sense given that there is a serious risk to Japan's national security given the present state of the region.
IIwiki | Hansard | Foreign Affairs | Q&A
Late Roman Empire wrote:Draconians often joke that they double-inspect imports of Alizerian lamb for signs of coupling.

New Edom wrote:Did you hear about that Alizerian who said he’d eat some sheep’s balls on a bet? He won the bet, but damn did that sheep kick him.

Hittanryan wrote:What do you call a guy with his hand up a sheep's ass? An Alizerian mechanic.

Schottia wrote:While Belisaria is burning Schottia is watching football and Alizeria is teaching sheep to drive.

Shalum wrote:Alizeria, the one place where it's acceptable to be a lady by day, and a freak in the hay.

Imperializt Russia
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 03, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperializt Russia » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:44 am

I wouldn't cheer for long, the PLA is a shit fighting force. The two things they'll be able to do is sustain manpower attrition and fight dug-in defence.
Kantona wrote:
Baltenstein wrote:

Absolutely, whenever they were tring something like this there was always some who would say that Japan should think what it did in WWii. We are also waiting for Germany.

Germany, even with its post-unification treaty limits, is one of the strongest fighting forces and military production centres in Europe.
Last edited by Imperializt Russia on Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Warning! This poster has:
PT puppet of the People's Republic of Samozaryadnyastan.

Lamadia wrote:dangerous socialist attitude
Also,
Imperializt Russia wrote:I'm English, you tit.

Teemant
Senator

Founded: Oct 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Teemant » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:46 am

Imperializt Russia wrote:

I wouldn't cheer for long, the PLA is a shit fighting force. The two things they'll be able to do is sustain manpower attrition and fight dug-in defence.
Kantona wrote:Absolutely, whenever they were tring something like this there was always some who would say that Japan should think what it did in WWii. We are also waiting for Germany.

Germany, even with its post-unification treaty limits, is one of the strongest fighting forces and military production centres in Europe.

Germany has a strong fighting force? :rofl:
Last edited by Teemant on Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eesti
Latvija
Lietuva
Polska

The Alexanderians
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alexanderians » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:50 am

Teemant wrote:
Imperializt Russia wrote:I wouldn't cheer for long, the PLA is a shit fighting force. The two things they'll be able to do is sustain manpower attrition and fight dug-in defence.

I got my jollies from this :rofl:
Galloism wrote:Or we can go with feminism doesn't exist. We all imagined it. Collectively.
You can't fight the friction
Women belong in the kitchen
Men belong in the kitchen
Everyone belongs in the kitchen
Kitchen has food
I have brought dishonor to my gaming clan
Achesia wrote:Threads like this is why I need to stop coming to NSG....

Marethian Lupanar of Teladre wrote:A bright and cheerful mountain village of chapel-goers~

The Archregimancy wrote:
Hagia Sophia is best church.

Major-Tom wrote:Why am I full of apathy?

I'm just here to be the peanut gallery
уσυ нανєи'т gσт тнє fυℓℓ єffє¢т

Scyobayrynn
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Scyobayrynn » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:52 am

The Grey Wolf wrote:

A herculean effort at genocide, rape on a scale that disturbed officers of the SS, a systemic belief in the racial and cultural superiority of their people over those of the world, the fact that the underlying roots of these things were never addressed in Nippon, and to this day it is exquisitely racist, on a scale and in a fashion that the average American at least can't even begin to grasp.

But hey, they make anime and oooohhhhh ebil communism.

Democracy is a get of jail free card right. I mean sure, that whole War Constitution thing, nobody in Nippon wants to see that go.

ohhh hey! Pokemon, got to catch them all, and the Chinese and Koreans arent reaaaallly complete human beings.
Last edited by Scyobayrynn on Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Gay
Atheist or Agnostic

Imperializt Russia
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperializt Russia » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:54 am

Teemant wrote:
Imperializt Russia wrote:I wouldn't cheer for long, the PLA is a shit fighting force. The two things they'll be able to do is sustain manpower attrition and fight dug-in defence.

Second largest not-Russian tank force in Europe? I think the Poles actually have more serviceable tanks than the Russians do.
Wiki claims it to be the "fourth largest air force in Europe after the UK, France and Italy", yet it maintains about the same number of combat aircraft (Typhoons and Tornadoes) as the RAF. Germany is also home to American B-61 nuclear gravity bombs for delivery by USAF and Luftwaffe aircraft.

It's also the home of the Leopard 2, one of the most capable modern western battle tanks. The German tank concern Krauss-Maffei recently merged with French company Nexter (formerly GIAT - the French tank concern, constructor of the Leclerc, another of the west's most capable battle tanks) and is considering an all-new Leopard 3 tank design process.
Last edited by Imperializt Russia on Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Also,

Scyobayrynn
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Scyobayrynn » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:55 am

Imperializt Russia wrote:

Kantona wrote:Absolutely, whenever they were tring something like this there was always some who would say that Japan should think what it did in WWii. We are also waiting for Germany.

You are clearly verrry familiar with the PLA. I will make sure to defer to you and your extensive knowledge for all questions I have about military matters, expect my call on the 32nd of every month, shortly after I set myself on fire.
The Gay
Atheist or Agnostic

Imperializt Russia
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperializt Russia » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:57 am

Scyobayrynn wrote:

You are clearly verrry familiar with the PLA. I will make sure to defer to you and your extensive knowledge for all questions I have about military matters, expect my call on the 32nd of every month, shortly after I set myself on fire.

The PLA has outdated battle tanks, low mechanisation, outdated combat aircraft, outdated naval vessels, outdated air defences, outdated coastal defences, zero amphibious capability and no present carrier capability.
The limit of their present capability is to fight a dug-in defence of the Chinese mainland by massing their coastal and air defences, and making use of their excellent coverage of the China seas with aircraft, or maybe bolster the Norks again.

Also,

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General