NATION

PASSWORD

The Ashes (Australia vs England)

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Who will win The Ashes?

Poll ended at Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:31 am

Austalia
39%
England
38%
Myrth
23%

Total votes : 69

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

The Ashes (Australia vs England)

Postby Blouman Empire » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:31 am

Well since it doesn't look like anyone has done this yet, (apart from some noob who did it wrong) I will open it up.

So it is currently lunch on the 5th day of the first test and the Aussies still could win only requiring another 5 wickets and ensure that England don't get another 138 runs within this time to ensure that they win. They are going well on this innings with England's score only 5/102.

It is impossible for England to win now (well not impossible but very improbable) for them to win and the best result they can hope for is a draw to remain on an even footing when going into the second test.

So we have seen some good cricket so far with Ponting getting his 13th test 150 and North in only his 3rd International test game managing 125 not out.

Also some some good bowling by Anderson. Though really in the up coming tests if England wants to win any test matches they are going to have to lower the Australian batting average.

So thoughts on the 1st test? Thoughts for the remaining tests of the series? Who do you think will win it? And are there any players we should keep an eye out for?

I was going to make a better poll and ask for your predictions on the exact score for the series (eg, Australia 5-0, Aus 4-1 etc) but we don't have enough poll options, but let us know anyway.
You know you've made it on NSG when you have a whole thread created around what you said.
On the American/United Statesian matter "I'd suggest Americans go to their nation settings and change their nation prefix to something cooler." - The Kangaroo Republic
http://nswiki.net/index.php?title=Blouman_Empire

DBC26-Winner

Greater Palmerland
Lobbyist

Founded: May 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: The Ashes (Australia vs England)

Postby Greater Palmerland » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:37 am

Aussies by 4-1. And we've just about got the first test in the bag.

Barringtonia
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Barringtonia » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:45 am

God, this was my email to friends on a chain email on the subject back on Friday,

I’m sure it’s been stated before but when England bat first and put on a large score, it simply means the wicket’s good and the opposition will score, minimum 200 runs more, I predict 550 for Australia end of day, early declaration tomorrow morning, England collapse for about 150 and all cleaned up between lunch and tea on the 5th day so the Ozzies can get to the pub early,

I still think Ponting should have declared at the end of the 3rd day, easy from the armchair but a harder decision to make on the field and, fair enough, it's only the first test, but Australia had little to lose and everything to gain by declaring, normally they're quite aggressive in terms of winning,

It's going to be a long, depressing series for England, we have no wicket takers.
Last edited by Barringtonia on Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
I hear babies cry, I watch them grow
They'll learn much more than I'll ever know
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world

Barringtonia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Barringtonia » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:48 am

Belsucshaft wrote:*snip*

Dude, you have a mental condition? I ask because this amount of effort applied to a such a futile task seems a little insane.

It's a message board, not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things, you should honestly take a look at what you're doing and question whether it's worth it, this obsession is, honestly, insane.
Last edited by Barringtonia on Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:03 am

Barringtonia wrote:God, this was my email to friends on a chain email on the subject back on Friday,

I’m sure it’s been stated before but when England bat first and put on a large score, it simply means the wicket’s good and the opposition will score, minimum 200 runs more, I predict 550 for Australia end of day, early declaration tomorrow morning, England collapse for about 150 and all cleaned up between lunch and tea on the 5th day so the Ozzies can get to the pub early,

I still think Ponting should have declared at the end of the 3rd day, easy from the armchair but a harder decision to make on the field and, fair enough, it's only the first test, but Australia had little to lose and everything to gain by declaring, normally they're quite aggressive in terms of winning,

It's going to be a long, depressing series for England, we have no wicket takers.

Actually I too think that Ponting should have declared earlier but it seems that if they hadn't England could very well be over the total runs thus meaning that the draw would be absolute certainty, people should be going for the win rather than the draw and I now think Ponting did make a better decision.

I hated it when India went for the draw rather than the win and I would hate it even more if Australia were to stoop to that level. Since Englands best chance is to draw then that is different and should attempt to remain batting rather than losing more wickets.
You know you've made it on NSG when you have a whole thread created around what you said.
On the American/United Statesian matter "I'd suggest Americans go to their nation settings and change their nation prefix to something cooler." - The Kangaroo Republic

DBC26-Winner

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:05 am

For a second i thought this was about a nuclear war or something.
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

Barringtonia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Barringtonia » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:26 am

Blouman Empire wrote:Actually I too think that Ponting should have declared earlier but it seems that if they hadn't England could very well be over the total runs thus meaning that the draw would be absolute certainty, people should be going for the win rather than the draw and I now think Ponting did make a better decision.

I hated it when India went for the draw rather than the win and I would hate it even more if Australia were to stoop to that level. Since Englands best chance is to draw then that is different and should attempt to remain batting rather than losing more wickets.

You might well be right actually, I imagine I'm assuming England can bat through the day but I guess that's quite stretch... the England team just isn't united at the moment, going back to the Fletcher/Pietersen dispute, there's a vacuum of leadership,

This is a pretty new Australian team, we should be reasonably equal but alas, England can't help but find new ways to lose,

Barringtonia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Barringtonia » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:41 am

...and Mark Webber just won the German F1 GP, good day for the Aussies, yet another shrimp on the barbie :)

EDIT: and Flintoff out, Broad should have gone LBW on his first ball as well,
Last edited by Barringtonia on Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:45 am

Barringtonia wrote:...and Mark Webber just won the German F1 GP, good day for the Aussies, yet another shrimp on the barbie :)

Gah why did I read this when I am going to watch the replay?

Yes excellent to see Mark Webber so glad he is in a good car that is reliable this year, even if it is the last season of a good season of F1 (potentially)

Oh and 4 more wickets required by Australia to win it with 112 runs still needed to by England.

Oh and this is supposed to be a gentleman's sport those people running across the field, bah should never be allowed in ground.

DBC26-Winner

Barringtonia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Barringtonia » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:05 am

If Collingwood goes we're doomed, this might be nail-biting in that England survive down to the wire,

Collingwood would seem better as an opener, he often acts as a fail-safe but perhaps, given his slow, grinding style, he'd be better placed at No.1 or 2 to give us some stability in a match.

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:14 am

Oh Collingwood definitely needs to stay on.

And yeah I will grant you that for him to be in 2nd or even 3rd, would say No.1 though.

DBC26-Winner

Colonic Immigration
Minister

Founded: Mar 29, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Colonic Immigration » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:53 am

:( It started so well. I want to stab Ponting in the eye with a pencil.
RoI
Economic Left/Right: -5.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.97
Western Mercenary Unio - Yeah, you kinda make idiocy an art

Haikus are easy,
They don't always make much sense,
Refrigerator

Extreme Ironing
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 03, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Extreme Ironing » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:56 am

And Broad's just out by LBW. I don't think England will be able to stick out the next 2 hours, but perhaps the weather will save them?

Anyone else annoyed by the lack of terrestrial coverage?
Last edited by Extreme Ironing on Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
“music” includes sounds wholly or predominantly characterised by the emission of a succession of repetitive beats - Section 63 (1)(b) of the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:58 am

Only 38 overs left can England do it?

Oh and don't get the sour grapes CI, there are still 4 games to go

DBC26-Winner

Colonic Immigration
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Colonic Immigration » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:04 am

Blouman Empire wrote:Only 38 overs left can England do it?

Oh and don't get the sour grapes CI, there are still 4 games to go

4 games of dissapointment and embarressment.

Why did you put "(Australia vs England)" after "The Ashes"? Who doesn't know who plays in it? :eyebrow:
RoI

Haikus are easy,
Refrigerator

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:05 am

Extreme Ironing wrote:And Broad's just out by LBW. I don't think England will be able to stick out the next 2 hours, but perhaps the weather will save them?

Is there much rain on the way? Looking rather clear skies at the moment.

Here in Australia we have a new broadcaster and I am disappointed because I liked channel 9 and their coverage and commentators.

DBC26-Winner

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:08 am

Colonic Immigration wrote:4 games of dissapointment and embarressment.

Typical Englishman. :lol:

Why did you put "(Australia vs England)" after "The Ashes"? Who doesn't know who plays in it? :eyebrow:

Yanks or other non cricketing nation people just in case some thought it was Australia vs. UK.

I couldn't decide I did have an entirely different thread title but it was changed before final submission.

DBC26-Winner

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:11 am

Just went to tea 7/169 for England can they survive and hang in for the draw?

DBC26-Winner

Extreme Ironing
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Extreme Ironing » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:14 am

Blouman Empire wrote:
Extreme Ironing wrote:And Broad's just out by LBW. I don't think England will be able to stick out the next 2 hours, but perhaps the weather will save them?

Here in Australia we have a new broadcaster and I am disappointed because I liked channel 9 and their coverage and commentators.

Live coverage is now pay-extra-to-view (i.e. Sky). Only highlights are available on the normal channels.
“music” includes sounds wholly or predominantly characterised by the emission of a succession of repetitive beats - Section 63 (1)(b) of the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994

Colonic Immigration
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Colonic Immigration » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:15 am

Extreme Ironing wrote:
Blouman Empire wrote:

Live coverage is now pay-extra-to-view (i.e. Sky). Only highlights are available on the normal channels.

5's a normal channel?
RoI

Haikus are easy,
Refrigerator

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:17 am

Extreme Ironing wrote:Live coverage is now pay-extra-to-view (i.e. Sky). Only highlights are available on the normal channels.

Really?

That to put it simply is shit, it is why I am glad that Australia we have a register for various things that cannot be withheld from the free-to-air channels showing such as the Olympics, Major tennis comps, International cricket amongst other things. Bascially means free-to-air channels have the right to bid for it first if none want it then pay-TV channels can then bid.

DBC26-Winner

Colonic Immigration
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Colonic Immigration » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:17 am

Blouman Empire wrote:
Colonic Immigration wrote:4 games of dissapointment and embarressment.

Typical Englishman. :lol:

You'd be like it too if all your national teams were shit.

Yanks or other non cricketing nation people just in case some thought it was Australia vs. UK.

I couldn't decide I did have an entirely different thread title but it was changed before final submission.

Really? They think that it's vs UK? :palm:
RoI

Haikus are easy,
Refrigerator

Extreme Ironing
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Extreme Ironing » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:21 am

Blouman Empire wrote:
Extreme Ironing wrote:Live coverage is now pay-extra-to-view (i.e. Sky). Only highlights are available on the normal channels.

Really?

That to put it simply is shit, it is why I am glad that Australia we have a register for various things that cannot be withheld from the free-to-air channels showing such as the Olympics, Major tennis comps, International cricket amongst other things. Bascially means free-to-air channels have the right to bid for it first if none want it then pay-TV channels can then bid.

This is how it used to be. Seems Sky put up more money than the others could match.

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:21 am

Colonic Immigration wrote:You'd be like it too if all your national teams were shit.

:p

\

I wouldn't say they because that implies all but I have noticed some people have said that (no not on here) and I remember someone telling me off about how I shouldn't say England because England isn't a entity and the name of the country is the United Kingdom, England is a small part of that and thus I should say Australia vs the UK. I could only groan at this ignorance.

DBC26-Winner

Colonic Immigration
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Colonic Immigration » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:24 am

Blouman Empire wrote:
Colonic Immigration wrote:You'd be like it too if all your national teams were shit.

:p

\

I wouldn't say they because that implies all but I have noticed some people have said that (no not on here) and I remember someone telling me off about how I shouldn't say England because England isn't a entity and the name of the country is the United Kingdom, England is a small part of that and thus I should say Australia vs the UK. I could only groan at this ignorance.

That has lowered my faith in humanity by quite alot. I mean - I know England are bad, but to lump us in with the Scots, Welsh and NI at cricket is just insulting. Do they think that about football and rugby too?
RoI

Haikus are easy,
Refrigerator

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General