NATION

PASSWORD

Big Airlines are suing Skiplagged over plane tickets

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Rhodisia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 27, 2014
Ex-Nation

Big Airlines are suing Skiplagged over plane tickets

Postby Rhodisia » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:28 am

"Hidden city ticketing" can offer steep discounts on airfare. Basically, you book a flight past your destination, with your target destination as a stop on the route, and save more than if on the direct route. Skiplagged is one site that shows you these hidden deals.

For example, a direct flight from Milwaukee to Detroit on December 11 costs $407, but Skiplagged shows there are flights from Milwaukee to St. Louis stopping in Detroit for $104—$303 less. You'd book the MKE to STL flight and just not get on the connecting flight after it lands in DTW.

Original article here.

United Airlines and Orbitz are actually suing a website, Skiplagged.com, that helps passengers search for and book hidden city plane tickets. According to their federal lawsuit, United and Orbitz claim the site’s owner, Aktarer Zaman, “has used his website to intentionally and maliciously interfere with Plaintiffs’ contracts and business relations in the airline industry.”

Hidden city ticketing isn’t illegal. But as the lawsuit says, it’s “strictly prohibited by most commercial airlines because of logistical and public safety concerns.”

Original article here.

I think that someone using a hidden-city ticketing scheme is not breaking the law or doing really anything wrong.

What say you, NSG?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pro: Sortition, gold standard, small and efficient government, concise laws, community policing, responsible private gun ownership, school choice, absolutely free market, low taxes, net neutrality, press freedom, etc

Against: Dynasties, fiat currency, excessive bureaucracy, verbose laws, police militarization, gun control, state-only education, crony capitalism, high taxes, net non-neutrality, censorship, empire, etc
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:32 am

What's bad is the way the airlines gouge for nearby flights. I appreciate this response to that abuse.
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

The Grim Reaper
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Grim Reaper » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:35 am

On the one hand, fuck trying to fuck over consumers like that.

On the other hand, flying with empty seats is genuinely a serious concern - weight loads are everything in aviation.

I'm torn here. There just has to be a better way!
If I can't play bass, I don't want to be part of your revolution.
Melbourne, Australia

A & Ω

Is "not a blood diamond" a high enough bar for a wedding ring? Artificial gemstones are better-looking, more ethical, and made out of PURE SCIENCE™.

Rhodisia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 27, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Rhodisia » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:07 am

Pope Joan wrote:What's bad is the way the airlines gouge for nearby flights. I appreciate this response to that abuse.

Basically how they make all their money.
Pro: Sortition, gold standard, small and efficient government, concise laws, community policing, responsible private gun ownership, school choice, absolutely free market, low taxes, net neutrality, press freedom, etc

Against: Dynasties, fiat currency, excessive bureaucracy, verbose laws, police militarization, gun control, state-only education, crony capitalism, high taxes, net non-neutrality, censorship, empire, etc

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:53 am

I see nothing wrong with it. (this method, I mean, not the suit.) But how do you get your luggage?
Last edited by MERIZoC on Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:07 am

Merizoc wrote:I see nothing wrong with it. (this method, I mean, not the suit.) But how do you get your luggage?

Fly with just hand luggage. It's what most people do on shorthall and short trips even up to a week. If i'm going to a hot place I can fit a weeks worth of stuff in my small case that can qualify as hand luggage.
Slava Ukraini

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:11 am

The Grim Reaper wrote:On the one hand, fuck trying to fuck over consumers like that.

On the other hand, flying with empty seats is genuinely a serious concern - weight loads are everything in aviation.

I'm torn here. There just has to be a better way!

Generally speaking, the weight and balance envelope gets wider the less weight the aircraft is carrying, as the lift forces for a given surface remain the same while the load be manipulated is decreased.

It's not a safety issue. How do you think they get planes from the manufacturer to the hub?
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:11 am

Rhodisia wrote:
"Hidden city ticketing" can offer steep discounts on airfare. Basically, you book a flight past your destination, with your target destination as a stop on the route, and save more than if on the direct route. Skiplagged is one site that shows you these hidden deals.

For example, a direct flight from Milwaukee to Detroit on December 11 costs $407, but Skiplagged shows there are flights from Milwaukee to St. Louis stopping in Detroit for $104—$303 less. You'd book the MKE to STL flight and just not get on the connecting flight after it lands in DTW.

Original article here.

United Airlines and Orbitz are actually suing a website, Skiplagged.com, that helps passengers search for and book hidden city plane tickets. According to their federal lawsuit, United and Orbitz claim the site’s owner, Aktarer Zaman, “has used his website to intentionally and maliciously interfere with Plaintiffs’ contracts and business relations in the airline industry.”

Hidden city ticketing isn’t illegal. But as the lawsuit says, it’s “strictly prohibited by most commercial airlines because of logistical and public safety concerns.”

Original article here.

I think that someone using a hidden-city ticketing scheme is not breaking the law or doing really anything wrong.

What say you, NSG?

Yeah, I do this with trains sometimes in the UK. I don't use a website for it though. It's also often cheaper to beak a journey up into several ticket sections even if you never have to physically get off the train.

Fair play, if we have a genuine free market then the lawsuit will be thrown out. Though I suspect it will be upheld and prove what we have is not the free market but crony corporatism.
Slava Ukraini

Sdaeriji
Powerbroker

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Sdaeriji » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:18 am

The Nihilistic view wrote:
Merizoc wrote:I see nothing wrong with it. (this method, I mean, not the suit.) But how do you get your luggage?

Fly with just hand luggage. It's what most people do on shorthall and short trips even up to a week. If i'm going to a hot place I can fit a weeks worth of stuff in my small case that can qualify as hand luggage.

A lot of our sales guys ship their luggage if they're going on extended visits somewhere. It often can be cheaper than bag fees.
Farnhamia wrote:What part of the four-letter word "Rules" are you having trouble with?
Farnhamia wrote:four-letter word "Rules"

The Nihilistic view
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Nihilistic view » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:21 am

Sdaeriji wrote:

A lot of our sales guys ship their luggage if they're going on extended visits somewhere. It often can be cheaper than bag fees.

Yeah, that's an option for longer trips.
Slava Ukraini

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:29 am

Mmm, gotcha.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General