NATION

PASSWORD

Antediluvian Secrets (official POC worldbuilding thread)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

How should we start the IC?

The platoon has just been formed, people don't know each other.
26%
The platoon is deployed so there's some burgeoning camaraderie, but mostly among those who are already friends from the home front.
63%
We've seen combat together: everybody knows everybody.
12%

Total votes : 43

The Carlisle
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Carlisle » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:15 pm

Kriegers wrote:
The Carlisle wrote:yeppers

Ah. I once had a friend in a little town called Boiling Springs that was super hyped about hiking through the coal region whilst carrying a boombox.

Dear god. I used to live near there. In fact, its just the township over.

And play a boombox. any particular genre?
Call me Carly
Gayism enabler
Trans Girl
Radical Anti-Radical Feminist Feminist
S.W.I.F: Sex Worker Inclusionary Feminist.

Kriegers
Envoy

Founded: Jun 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Kriegers » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:19 pm

The Carlisle wrote:
Kriegers wrote:Ah. I once had a friend in a little town called Boiling Springs that was super hyped about hiking through the coal region whilst carrying a boombox.

Dear god. I used to live near there. In fact, its just the township over.

It was something Christian... Christian rap, possibly. Maybe rock? I don't know for sure.
We speak a Germanic language that is not German.
If a non-human ever commands our forces
Anthem (Better)
Techs: PT, MT, PMT, FT, slightly FanT.
Enemies: Non-humans, mainly ponies.
Grenartia wrote:
Kriegers wrote:Looks interesting. I might join, let me just hit the WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE? button.

http://i.imgur.com/Q0YVcDA.jpg

The Carlisle
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Carlisle » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:33 pm

Kriegers wrote:
The Carlisle wrote:Dear god. I used to live near there. In fact, its just the township over.

It was something Christian... Christian rap, possibly. Maybe rock? I don't know for sure.

rock would be appropriate. It'll scare the bears.... or provoke them...
Call me Carly
Gayism enabler
Trans Girl

Kriegers
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Kriegers » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:38 pm

The Carlisle wrote:
Kriegers wrote:It was something Christian... Christian rap, possibly. Maybe rock? I don't know for sure.

rock would be appropriate. It'll scare the bears.... or provoke them...

And if it's metal... Well, you can imagine what bears would do to metal.
Anthem (Better)
Grenartia wrote:
Kriegers wrote:Looks interesting. I might join, let me just hit the WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE? button.

The Carlisle
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Carlisle » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:42 pm

Kriegers wrote:
The Carlisle wrote:rock would be appropriate. It'll scare the bears.... or provoke them...

And if it's metal... Well, you can imagine what bears would do to metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4DF_t5gcrg
Call me Carly
Gayism enabler
Trans Girl

Kriegers
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Kriegers » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:44 pm

The Carlisle wrote:
Kriegers wrote:And if it's metal... Well, you can imagine what bears would do to metal.

... My... God...
Anthem (Better)
Grenartia wrote:

Glorious ReBublic of Alevstan
Minister

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Glorious ReBublic of Alevstan » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:47 pm

I made a (colourless, physical, slightly out-of-proportion) drawing of a basic infantry soldier, but I'm currently on mobile and it takes forever to upload.
Sorry for the spelling mistake in my name.
ICly, I am the Vilats Union | IIWiki

Join Atlas!
You can call me Alev.
Neutral Good
QUOTES
Kouralia wrote:You're in a man of war. Screw 'main efforts' and 'objectives'; sail around and look like a badass mother-fucker and sing sea shanties.

The Carlisle
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Carlisle » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:15 am

Glorious Rebublic of Alevstan wrote:I made a (colourless, physical, slightly out-of-proportion) drawing of a basic infantry soldier, but I'm currently on mobile and it takes forever to upload.

Can't wait to see it!
Call me Carly
Gayism enabler
Trans Girl

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:11 am

Nature-Spirits wrote:
Grenartia wrote:
Can you do Solana Vionde?

I think I'll try my hand at this.

Solana is pretty straightforward: it sounds to me like Latin "sol" (sun) + "-anus" (-ian) in the feminine form, meaning "pertaining to the sun".

Vionde is a bit harder, but it, too, sounds Latinesque to me, so I'll go with that. Now, "via" means "road", "way", or "path", and "unde" means "whence" or "from where". /a/ + /u/ often fuse into /o/, so realistically, "via" (road) + "unde" (from where) = "vionde". As for meaning, it could mean that the first person who held the name could have moved to an area from an unknown location, or that they lived by a road, among other things.

Works for me.

Transoxthraxia wrote:
Nature-Spirits wrote:I think I'll try my hand at this.

Solana is pretty straightforward: it sounds to me like Latin "sol" (sun) + "-anus" (-ian) in the feminine form, meaning "pertaining to the sun".

Vionde is a bit harder, but it, too, sounds Latinesque to me, so I'll go with that. Now, "via" means "road", "way", or "path", and "unde" means "whence" or "from where". /a/ + /u/ often fuse into /o/, so realistically, "via" (road) + "unde" (from where) = "vionde". As for meaning, it could mean that the first person who held the name could have moved to an area from an unknown location, or that they lived by a road, among other things.

That's... Extremely impressive. But aside from deciphering the Latin, I'd assign this as well to the Cyric/Diomedic group. But keep in mind that, in the past incarnations of Precambria (politically, at least.) Diomedic was used as an official and administrative language before the newer Precambrian states started stomping the language into extinction. So since its Diomedic or Diomedic/Cyric derived (Solana at least), off of the first name, I'd say that she's descended from a Diomedic family.

But that decision would be turned around by her surname, which is really what matters (Emilia in Latvian is Emilija, and English and Latvian are about as far apart as you can get. Personal names don't really matter in the large scheme of linguistics, especially not in the modern world.). Vionde sounds like a romanticization of a Latin surname, but to simulate the bastardization/romanticization as mentioned before, I'd assume that she may have initially been descended from a Diomedic/Cyric family, they would most likely have been a part of Precambrian bureaucracy at one point long ago, and relocated to the more western parts of the nation, where they would have, to some extent, become Caiophic, which then turned into Symean.

So I'd bet my money on Solana Vionde hailing from the central/western part of Cambria or the far-eastern part of Antidiluvia, though her family initially coming from the more Eastern parts of the nation centuries ago.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind for her backstory.

Though, it should probably be noted that she chose Solana for herself, since she's trans.

Probably took it from some family tale about an ancestor with that name.

Esconelle wrote:Jesus Christ you guys are going into excruciating detail in what I thought was going to be a fairly straightforward RP...

Ayreonia wrote:-Snip-

Transoxthraxia wrote:-Snip-

Transoxthraxia wrote:-Snippity-

Glorious Rebublic of Alevstan wrote:-Snip-

In regards to these, wouldn't it be better to, say, create a separate Worldbuilding thread? It'd certainly make the thread a bit less cluttered for Ayre, and it'd make it a lot easier to navigate if we're going to go into such specifics over relatively complex details like linguistics, religion, and history.

Lets leave the creation of new threads up to Ayreo, mmkay?

The Carlisle wrote:
Kriegers wrote:And if it's metal... Well, you can imagine what bears would do to metal.

Pulp Skyrim?

The Carlisle wrote:
Glorious Rebublic of Alevstan wrote:I made a (colourless, physical, slightly out-of-proportion) drawing of a basic infantry soldier, but I'm currently on mobile and it takes forever to upload.

Can't wait to see it!

Same here.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Toishima
Senator

Founded: Dec 01, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Toishima » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:57 am

Would the older soldiers be familiar with one another from the tour the year before? I'd like Derrick to be notorious amongst the veterans in the company for his constant buzz, attempts to sell his weed, cigarettes or liquor (stored in a specially marked 25mm IFV gun ammo box, no less) to everyone else, the IFV-hotboxing and "field-constructed bong" stunts and his habit of hiding and getting stoned in the strangest places possible. At least the NCOs should be used to his bullshit by now, especially those that have been around some, and if not then complaints and reports from other veterans should allow them to be well-versed in his antics.
Call me Aki. My primary RP nation is Yamatai in Ordis. We are an MT region with an exciting constructed world. Join us. (Non Ordis version of Yamatai here)
GOKIGENYOU~
Singaporean Chinese Weeb who likes food, Japan, food, J-Pop, military stuff and Japanese food.
Ex military. Female. Otaku. Idol Wota. Physically incapable of writing posts shorter than 1,000 words.
This user supports the use of mechs, mecha and other legged machines in PMT and FT settings, and will use them.
Record word count for a single unbroken writing session: 27,154 words
Current flag is my Kami Oshi, Sato Masaki (Info here!).

Palonitr and Howland
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Palonitr and Howland » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:36 am

Toishima wrote:Would the older soldiers be familiar with one another from the tour the year before? I'd like Derrick to be notorious amongst the veterans in the company for his constant buzz, attempts to sell his weed, cigarettes or liquor (stored in a specially marked 25mm IFV gun ammo box, no less) to everyone else, the IFV-hotboxing and "field-constructed bong" stunts and his habit of hiding and getting stoned in the strangest places possible. At least the NCOs should be used to his bullshit by now, especially those that have been around some, and if not then complaints and reports from other veterans should allow them to be well-versed in his antics.

Well Farley was just transferred in. With wild stories about his unit spontaneously combusting while he's the only survivor. So mucho mysterioso and stuff. Hey stoner dude wanna be friends with new mysterious guy?

Altito Asmoro
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Altito Asmoro » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:37 am

Toishima wrote:Would the older soldiers be familiar with one another from the tour the year before? I'd like Derrick to be notorious amongst the veterans in the company for his constant buzz, attempts to sell his weed, cigarettes or liquor (stored in a specially marked 25mm IFV gun ammo box, no less) to everyone else, the IFV-hotboxing and "field-constructed bong" stunts and his habit of hiding and getting stoned in the strangest places possible. At least the NCOs should be used to his bullshit by now, especially those that have been around some, and if not then complaints and reports from other veterans should allow them to be well-versed in his antics.

Probably if there are veterans with years of service, they probably well-known or already familiar with soldiers from the tours.

In any case, Adam is no strange to wars and tours.
Stormwrath wrote:
Altito Asmoro wrote:You people can call me...AA. Or Alt.
Or Tito.

I'm calling you "non-aligned comrade."

A proud Nationalist
Winner for Best War RP of 2016

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:41 am

Palonitr and Howland wrote:

Well Farley was just transferred in. With wild stories about his unit spontaneously combusting while he's the only survivor. So mucho mysterioso and stuff. Hey stoner dude wanna be friends with new mysterious guy?

A stoner and a guy who survived a spontaneous combustion attack.

I can't think of a more perfect set up for a "420 blaze it" joke.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Palonitr and Howland
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Palonitr and Howland » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:46 am

Grenartia wrote:
Palonitr and Howland wrote:Well Farley was just transferred in. With wild stories about his unit spontaneously combusting while he's the only survivor. So mucho mysterioso and stuff. Hey stoner dude wanna be friends with new mysterious guy?

A stoner and a guy who survived a spontaneous combustion attack.

I can't think of a more perfect set up for a "420 blaze it" joke.

Hehehe. Why not.

Toishima
Senator

Founded: Dec 01, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Toishima » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:58 am

Palonitr and Howland wrote:Well Farley was just transferred in. With wild stories about his unit spontaneously combusting while he's the only survivor. So mucho mysterioso and stuff. Hey stoner dude wanna be friends with new mysterious guy?

The thinner man grabs Farley with both hands, his eyes red and somewhat crazed. His hair is uncombed, uncut and unwashed, with greasy streaks blackening the wayward golden hair. With a trembling voice that rapidly rises into a crescendo, the man alternates between pulling himself extremely close to Farley and pushing Farley away, shaking the Corporal physically, obviously with little care for any rank or etiquette rules he may be breaking.

"Spontaneous combustion, you say? Hellllll, I'll show you what spontaneity of combustion... combustionating is out here in the mother... fucking! Fourth!"

The Lance Corporal falls silent, releases Farley, and bends down, talking over his shoulder, "Check this shit out, man."

He reaches down into an ammo container, on which red tape with odd markings- "332nd UNMETA HQ Coy. GOVERNMENT ORDER DO NOT OPEN"- is scrawled on the top with a black marker, and pulls out what Farley first assumes is a 25mm shell. Upon closer inspection, however, he realises that it's not a 25mm shell.

It's a monster blunt.

Farley steps back slightly, taken aback by this strange turn of events. His new "friend" holds out the joint for a moment before shoving it into Farley's astonished hands, giving a shrill yell that would be sure to rouse the entire camp.

"420 BLAZE IT FAGGOT!"

EDIT: With no OOC intent to insult or otherwise hurt the Homosexual community, of course.
Last edited by Toishima on Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Call me Aki. My primary RP nation is Yamatai in Ordis. We are an MT region with an exciting constructed world. Join us. (Non Ordis version of Yamatai here)
GOKIGENYOU~
Singaporean Chinese Weeb who likes food, Japan, food, J-Pop, military stuff and Japanese food.
Ex military. Female. Otaku. Idol Wota. Physically incapable of writing posts shorter than 1,000 words.
This user supports the use of mechs, mecha and other legged machines in PMT and FT settings, and will use them.
Record word count for a single unbroken writing session: 27,154 words
Current flag is my Kami Oshi, Sato Masaki (Info here!).

Palonitr and Howland
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Palonitr and Howland » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:05 am

Toishima wrote:

The thinner man grabs Farley with both hands, his eyes red and somewhat crazed. His hair is uncombed, uncut and unwashed, with greasy streaks blackening the wayward golden hair. With a trembling voice that rapidly rises into a crescendo, the man alternates between pulling himself extremely close to Farley and pushing Farley away, shaking the Corporal physically, obviously with little care for any rank or etiquette rules he may be breaking.

"Spontaneous combustion, you say? Hellllll, I'll show you what spontaneity of combustion... combustionating is out here in the mother... fucking! Fourth!"

The Lance Corporal falls silent, releases Farley, and bends down, talking over his shoulder, "Check this shit out, man."

He reaches down into an ammo container, on which red tape with odd markings- "332nd UNMETA HQ Coy. GOVERNMENT ORDER DO NOT OPEN"- is scrawled on the top with a black marker, and pulls out what Farley first assumes is a 25mm shell. Upon closer inspection, however, he realises that it's not a 25mm shell.

It's a monster blunt.

Farley steps back slightly, taken aback by this strange turn of events. His new "friend" holds out the joint for a moment before shoving it into Farley's astonished hands, giving a shrill yell that would be sure to rouse the entire camp.

"420 BLAZE IT FAGGOT!"

EDIT: With no OOC intent to insult or otherwise hurt the Homosexual community, of course.

Hehehe Farley is a snarky but chill dude. I anticipate that he would be very chill and shet.

Agritum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Agritum » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:28 am

Poppy is quite new, but someone may have heard of her family shop in Altaflor.

Palonitr and Howland
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Palonitr and Howland » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:32 am

Agritum wrote:Poppy is quite new, but someone may have heard of her family shop in Altaflor.

Those men and women would be laughing at her name. And the ironicy of her family business. Hehehe
Last edited by Palonitr and Howland on Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ayreonia
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ayreonia » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:50 am

Palonitr and Howland wrote:
Agritum wrote:Poppy is quite new, but someone may have heard of her family shop in Altaflor.

Those men and women would be laughing at her name. And the ironicy of her family business. Hehehe

Fun thing: when I served, we had to do a psychological evaluation a couple times. It was a monster of a test, with like 500 statements you had to answer with a number from 1 to 5, depending on how well you felt those statements applied to you. Several statements were repeated, just to see if you were paying attention instead of just randomly scrabbling numbers. I wanted to be IFV, so I had to do it extra proper. The most mind-numbing experience of my life.

Anyway, one of the statements was "I have wanted to become a florist."

True story brah.
Images likely to cause widespread offense, such as the swastika, are not permitted as national flags. Please see the One-Stop Rules Shop ("Acceptable Flag Policy").

Photoshopped birds flipping the bird not acceptable.

Agritum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Agritum » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:53 am

Ayreonia wrote:
Palonitr and Howland wrote:Those men and women would be laughing at her name. And the ironicy of her family business. Hehehe

Fun thing: when I served, we had to do a psychological evaluation a couple times. It was a monster of a test, with like 500 statements you had to answer with a number from 1 to 5, depending on how well you felt those statements applied to you. Several statements were repeated, just to see if you were paying attention instead of just randomly scrabbling numbers. I wanted to be IFV, so I had to do it extra proper. The most mind-numbing experience of my life.

Anyway, one of the statements was "I have wanted to become a florist."

True story brah.

There's flowers in Finland? I thought you only had rocks. And snow.

Ayreonia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ayreonia » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:26 am

Agritum wrote:There's flowers in Finland? I thought you only had rocks. And snow.

That's the joke. If you answered "yes," they'd know you were prone to hallucinations.
Nature-Spirits wrote:I don't think Ayreo meant that there are only three duchies; I think he meant that those were the only three he's named.

Correctomundo. Winstor, Crávis and Sayshel. I don't even know how many of them are there.
The Kingdom of Rhamos wrote:I know a lot about western AFV's, what can I help you with?

I need an IFV that is a notBMP and not a BMP-1. It needs to be amphibious, have at least a 30mm cannon, be able to carry a squad of eight and be protected against small arms and light AT fire.
Transoxthraxia wrote:(obsessive insanity)

How-ley shieet.
Grenartia wrote:But seriously, here's the updated political map, and the updated tactical map.

This makes me happy.
Glorious Rebublic of Alevstan wrote:Nice language writeup.

Also, yay, finally put into a squad.

Edit: Beautiful placeholder names for the HQ.

:D
Toishima wrote:1) I'd like to help with the present weaponry. When I see the description for the Model 174 I think of an AK-M14-M63 hybrid, what being heavy, shit at full auto, reliable enough to survive hell and extremely modular. Furniture would be wooden and the folding stock would be thin with loose screws and have a tendency to fall off entirely.

2) Speaking of which, how are our enemies' weapons in comparison to ours?

1) Sox is working on pimpmygunning it, but what you've written is pretty close.
2) I don't know. You tell me.
Kisinger wrote:Damn... Still haven't been assigned....

It would help a fuckton if you linked to your app. I mean, it's buried somewhere within 16 pages on linguistic wankery.

Awesome.
Grenartia wrote:I think at this point, we can call this the most in-depth worldbuilding exercise yet created. At least its the most in-depth I've been involved in.

Palonitr and Howland wrote:I just have to say that this rp has given me the biggest headaches Ive had in my life. Its a great way to start my morn. Its beautiful how in depth this is going to be.

To think I started this with a black humor FML-type military farce. Now I don't even need to do anything. I just sit back and hand out compliments to people. Best Worldbuilder 2014, here I come!
Images likely to cause widespread offense, such as the swastika, are not permitted as national flags. Please see the One-Stop Rules Shop ("Acceptable Flag Policy").

Republic of Hasgriu
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of Hasgriu » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:28 am

Republic of Hasgriu wrote:Name: Dayle Page

Years of service: 2
Civilian occupation : Tailor
Nobility:

Preferred role :
Loader
Vehicle Gunner
Mortar Operator

Appearance:

I see you, third IFV.
Economic Left/Right: -3.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 1.13
New Jordslag wrote:Dammit, just realized they have each other's names in their sigs. Yet in my two years of existence nobody quotes what I say... *crawls into corner and cries*
RIP United Kingdom 1707-2016

Ayreonia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ayreonia » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:32 am

Republic of Hasgriu wrote:
Republic of Hasgriu wrote:Name: Dayle Page

Years of service: 2
Civilian occupation : Tailor
Nobility:

Preferred role :
Loader
Vehicle Gunner
Mortar Operator

Appearance:

I see you, third IFV.

I thought I had assigned him already. Golf's gunner it is.

Republic of Hasgriu
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of Hasgriu » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:35 am

Yay! You must have mistaken him for Vergil Lynton, the marksman. Actually, Golf is going to be assigned to his squad. Also, what happened to the loaders?
Economic Left/Right: -3.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 1.13
New Jordslag wrote:Dammit, just realized they have each other's names in their sigs. Yet in my two years of existence nobody quotes what I say... *crawls into corner and cries*
RIP United Kingdom 1707-2016

Ayreonia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ayreonia » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:39 am

Republic of Hasgriu wrote:Yay! You must have mistaken him for Vergil Lynton, the marksman. Actually, Golf is going to be assigned to his squad. Also, what happened to the loaders?

IFVs have autocannons, they don't need 'em.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse