NATION

PASSWORD

Antediluvian Secrets (official POC worldbuilding thread)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

How should we start the IC?

The platoon has just been formed, people don't know each other.
26%
The platoon is deployed so there's some burgeoning camaraderie, but mostly among those who are already friends from the home front.
63%
We've seen combat together: everybody knows everybody.
12%

Total votes : 43

Nature-Spirits
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nature-Spirits » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:24 pm

Pimps Inc wrote:
Transoxthraxia wrote:Indeed. What I think Felix, or Latin in general, is represented by is the dead Cyric branch of the Reuelic group. However, Cyric and Diomedic are often grouped as the same language (Differing simply on place names and personal names, as well as geographic location), so while Cyric has been dead for a few centuries, it wouldn't be crazy to think that someone descended from a Diomedic speaker would bear the name Felix. As for the last name, Feulicid sounds like the bastardization of Felixid, or "Of Felix", a dynastic name often reserved for royalty (Notably the Of ______ prefix.). So, again, most likely Felix Feulicid is a descendant of a low-tier aristocratic family within the Diomedic language group. While Diomedic is the easternmost spoken of any Ezeric language, with the relocation of cultures in the modern era it wouldn't be unacceptable for him to be living in a more western country.

Bastard names for the win.

Just to be clear, bastardisation means that it was corrupted over time so that it doesn't sound like the original. :p
Last edited by Nature-Spirits on Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM Translation Service Thread
A Proud Portal Nationalist
The P2TM Depot – for all your RPing needs

Cosplaying as a Posadist | LOVEWHOYOUARE~ | Kinky Syndicalist

Palonitr and Howland
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Palonitr and Howland » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:29 pm

I just have to say that this rp has given me the biggest headaches Ive had in my life. Its a great way to start my morn. Its beautiful how in depth this is going to be.

Gvozdevsk
Minister

Founded: Dec 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Gvozdevsk » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:37 pm

So if the equivalent to Slavic languages are dead in this universe, does that mean Slavic surnames aren't differentiated by gender? Which would mean my character's surname would change from Novotna to Novotny if that were the case.

Kisinger
Senator

Founded: Oct 26, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Kisinger » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:38 pm

Damn... Still haven't been assigned....
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:Don't you dare take my other 75% orgasm. I'm a greedy womyn, influenced by the cold hard erection of the patriarchy.

"First rule of leadership: everything is your fault." ~ Bug's Life

Glorious ReBublic of Alevstan
Minister

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Glorious ReBublic of Alevstan » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:38 pm

For the history of the conflict, perhaps Ante-something and Precambrian used to be very loose confederations of small states and duchies, more like alliances than actual countries. The more powerful and large duchies annexed smaller ones, eventually causing the two countries to become more powerful and united as a whole. Something, perhaps conflicts over land, resources, or trade routes, caused (maybe in 1880-90s?) the numerous border clashes that gradually grew worse, eventually becoming the current endless war. Just an idea.
Sorry for the spelling mistake in my name.
ICly, I am the Vilats Union | IIWiki

Join Atlas!
You can call me Alev.
Neutral Good
QUOTES
Kouralia wrote:You're in a man of war. Screw 'main efforts' and 'objectives'; sail around and look like a badass mother-fucker and sing sea shanties.

Nature-Spirits
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nature-Spirits » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:39 pm

Grenartia wrote:
Transoxthraxia wrote:Indeed. What I think Felix, or Latin in general, is represented by is the dead Cyric branch of the Reuelic group. However, Cyric and Diomedic are often grouped as the same language (Differing simply on place names and personal names, as well as geographic location), so while Cyric has been dead for a few centuries, it wouldn't be crazy to think that someone descended from a Diomedic speaker would bear the name Felix. As for the last name, Feulicid sounds like the bastardization of Felixid, or "Of Felix", a dynastic name often reserved for royalty (Notably the Of ______ prefix.). So, again, most likely Felix Feulicid is a descendant of a low-tier aristocratic family within the Diomedic language group. While Diomedic is the easternmost spoken of any Ezeric language, with the relocation of cultures in the modern era it wouldn't be unacceptable for him to be living in a more western country.

Can you do Solana Vionde?

I think I'll try my hand at this.

Solana is pretty straightforward: it sounds to me like Latin "sol" (sun) + "-anus" (-ian) in the feminine form, meaning "pertaining to the sun".

Vionde is a bit harder, but it, too, sounds Latinesque to me, so I'll go with that. Now, "via" means "road", "way", or "path", and "unde" means "whence" or "from where". /a/ + /u/ often fuse into /o/, so realistically, "via" (road) + "unde" (from where) = "vionde". As for meaning, it could mean that the first person who held the name could have moved to an area from an unknown location, or that they lived by a road, among other things.

Transoxthraxia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Transoxthraxia » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:40 pm

Gvozdevsk wrote:So if the equivalent to Slavic languages are dead in this universe, does that mean Slavic surnames aren't differentiated by gender? Which would mean my character's surname would change from Novotna to Novotny if that were the case.

I think you're at liberty on this one, but know that Slavic languages haven't been around for about four millennia now, so their surnames would probably have been Germanized quite a bit, perhaps dropping the surname gender change entirely. But then again, that's up to you. I don't want to constrain you guys too much.
Where must we go, we who wander this wasteland, in search for our better selves?
In Egypt's sandy silence, all alone,
Stands a gigantic Leg, which far off throws
The only shadow that the Desert knows:—
"I am great OZYMANDIAS," saith the stone,
"The King of Kings; this mighty City shows
"The wonders of my hand." The City's gone,
Nought but the Leg remaining to disclose
The site of this forgotten Babylon.

We wonder, and some Hunter may express
Wonder like ours, when thro' the wilderness
Where London stood, holding the Wolf in chace,
He meets some fragment huge, and stops to guess
What powerful but unrecorded race
Once dwelt in that annihilated place.
The Nuclear Fist wrote:Transoxthraxia confirmed for shit taste

Transoxthraxia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Transoxthraxia » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:45 pm

Nature-Spirits wrote:
Grenartia wrote:

Solana is pretty straightforward: it sounds to me like Latin "sol" (sun) + "-anus" (-ian) in the feminine form, meaning "pertaining to the sun".

Vionde is a bit harder, but it, too, sounds Latinesque to me, so I'll go with that. Now, "via" means "road", "way", or "path", and "unde" means "whence" or "from where". /a/ + /u/ often fuse into /o/, so realistically, "via" (road) + "unde" (from where) = "vionde". As for meaning, it could mean that the first person who held the name could have moved to an area from an unknown location, or that they lived by a road, among other things.

That's... Extremely impressive. But aside from deciphering the Latin, I'd assign this as well to the Cyric/Diomedic group. But keep in mind that, in the past incarnations of Precambria (politically, at least.) Diomedic was used as an official and administrative language before the newer Precambrian states started stomping the language into extinction. So since its Diomedic or Diomedic/Cyric derived (Solana at least), off of the first name, I'd say that she's descended from a Diomedic family.

But that decision would be turned around by her surname, which is really what matters (Emilia in Latvian is Emilija, and English and Latvian are about as far apart as you can get. Personal names don't really matter in the large scheme of linguistics, especially not in the modern world.). Vionde sounds like a romanticization of a Latin surname, but to simulate the bastardization/romanticization as mentioned before, I'd assume that she may have initially been descended from a Diomedic/Cyric family, they would most likely have been a part of Precambrian bureaucracy at one point long ago, and relocated to the more western parts of the nation, where they would have, to some extent, become Caiophic, which then turned into Symean.

So I'd bet my money on Solana Vionde hailing from the central/western part of Cambria or the far-eastern part of Antidiluvia, though her family initially coming from the more Eastern parts of the nation centuries ago.
Last edited by Transoxthraxia on Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Where must we go, we who wander this wasteland, in search for our better selves?
In Egypt's sandy silence, all alone,
Stands a gigantic Leg, which far off throws
The only shadow that the Desert knows:—
"I am great OZYMANDIAS," saith the stone,
"The King of Kings; this mighty City shows
"The wonders of my hand." The City's gone,
Nought but the Leg remaining to disclose
The site of this forgotten Babylon.

We wonder, and some Hunter may express
Wonder like ours, when thro' the wilderness
Where London stood, holding the Wolf in chace,
He meets some fragment huge, and stops to guess
What powerful but unrecorded race
Once dwelt in that annihilated place.
The Nuclear Fist wrote:Transoxthraxia confirmed for shit taste

The Carlisle
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Carlisle » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:52 pm

So the languages so far in comparison to it in real life

Modern Nahumic- A sort of french, maybe latin, derived english

High Nahumic- More French, Latiny

Highlands Thorn- Germany German

Lowlands Thorn- Dutch with a bit of Slavic thrown into the mix.
Call me Carly
Gayism enabler
Trans Girl
Radical Anti-Radical Feminist Feminist
S.W.I.F: Sex Worker Inclusionary Feminist.

Glorious ReBublic of Alevstan
Minister

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Glorious ReBublic of Alevstan » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:59 pm

Nature-Spirits wrote:
Grenartia wrote:

Could you do Miko Bjali? Both Slovakian, so Slavic-equivalent, unfortunately. Last name was bastardised.
Sorry for the spelling mistake in my name.
ICly, I am the Vilats Union | IIWiki

Join Atlas!
You can call me Alev.
Neutral Good
QUOTES
Kouralia wrote:You're in a man of war. Screw 'main efforts' and 'objectives'; sail around and look like a badass mother-fucker and sing sea shanties.

The Carlisle
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Carlisle » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:00 pm

Glorious Rebublic of Alevstan wrote:
Nature-Spirits wrote:I think I'll try my hand at this.

Could you do Miko Bjali? Both Slovakian, so Slavic-equivalent, unfortunately. Last name was bastardised.

Well, probably the easiest to germanize is Czech, slovakian, and polish.
Call me Carly
Gayism enabler
Trans Girl

Esconelle
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Esconelle » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:02 pm

Jesus Christ you guys are going into excruciating detail in what I thought was going to be a fairly straightforward RP...

Ayreonia wrote:-Snip-

Transoxthraxia wrote:-Snip-

Transoxthraxia wrote:-Snippity-

Glorious Rebublic of Alevstan wrote:-Snip-

In regards to these, wouldn't it be better to, say, create a separate Worldbuilding thread? It'd certainly make the thread a bit less cluttered for Ayre, and it'd make it a lot easier to navigate if we're going to go into such specifics over relatively complex details like linguistics, religion, and history.
Le République Populaire d'Esçonelle

Pardon my French; I don't speak it, but I have enough interest in it to warrant the creation of a French-themed nation so it would be appreciated if you could TG me any grammatical or spelling errors that you see, merci.

Nature-Spirits
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Nature-Spirits » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:07 pm

Transoxthraxia wrote:

That's... Extremely impressive. But aside from deciphering the Latin, I'd assign this as well to the Cyric/Diomedic group. But keep in mind that, in the past incarnations of Precambria (politically, at least.) Diomedic was used as an official and administrative language before the newer Precambrian states started stomping the language into extinction. So since its Diomedic or Diomedic/Cyric derived (Solana at least), off of the first name, I'd say that she's descended from a Diomedic family.

But that decision would be turned around by her surname, which is really what matters (Emilia in Latvian is Emilija, and English and Latvian are about as far apart as you can get. Personal names don't really matter in the large scheme of linguistics, especially not in the modern world.). Vionde sounds like a romanticization of a Latin surname, but to simulate the bastardization/romanticization as mentioned before, I'd assume that she may have initially been descended from a Diomedic/Cyric family, they would most likely have been a part of Precambrian bureaucracy at one point long ago, and relocated to the more western parts of the nation, where they would have, to some extent, become Caiophic, which then turned into Symean.

So I'd bet my money on Solana Vionde hailing from the central/western part of Cambria or the far-eastern part of Antidiluvia, though her family initially coming from the more Eastern parts of the nation centuries ago.

Yes, I can tell that we will become very good friends. :D

The Carlisle wrote:So the languages so far in comparison to it in real life

I'll summarise what Trans TGed me for you.

Modern Nahumic: Basically, it's English. However, while RL English is Germanic-based with significant Romantic influence, this is (the equivalent of) Romance-based with significant Germanic influence.

High Nahumic: Sort of like this world's equivalent to Ecclesiastical Latin (i.e. the Latin spoken by the Catholic Church), or perhaps more like Late Latin.

Highlands Thorn: Basically, it's like the languages spoken by the Germanic tribes of the British Isles before the Normal invasion.

Lowlands Thorn: Basically, it's German with some Slavic names (but there's very little actual Slavic influence on the language).

There are also a few others, but our characters are much less likely to be acquainted with them.

Glorious Rebublic of Alevstan wrote:

Sure! I'll get to work on that.
I may not have the final result up until tomorrow, though, because it's getting late here.

Esconelle wrote:Jesus Christ you guys are going into excruciating detail in what I thought was going to be a fairly straightforward RP...

Ayreonia wrote:-Snip-

Transoxthraxia wrote:-Snip-

Transoxthraxia wrote:-Snippity-

Glorious Rebublic of Alevstan wrote:-Snip-

In regards to these, wouldn't it be better to, say, create a separate Worldbuilding thread? It'd certainly make the thread a bit less cluttered for Ayre, and it'd make it a lot easier to navigate if we're going to go into such specifics over relatively complex details like linguistics, religion, and history.

We're dedicated. ;)

The Carlisle
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Carlisle » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:19 pm

Nature-Spirits wrote:
Transoxthraxia wrote:

Yes, I can tell that we will become very good friends. :D

The Carlisle wrote:So the languages so far in comparison to it in real life

I'll summarise what Trans TGed me for you.

Modern Nahumic: Basically, it's English. However, while RL English is Germanic-based with significant Romantic influence, this is (the equivalent of) Romance-based with significant Germanic influence.

High Nahumic: Sort of like this world's equivalent to Ecclesiastical Latin (i.e. the Latin spoken by the Catholic Church), or perhaps more like Late Latin.

Highlands Thorn: Basically, it's like the languages spoken by the Germanic tribes of the British Isles before the Normal invasion.

Lowlands Thorn: Basically, it's German with some Slavic names (but there's very little actual Slavic influence on the language).

There are also a few others, but our characters are much less likely to be acquainted with them.

Glorious Rebublic of Alevstan wrote:Could you do Miko Bjali? Both Slovakian, so Slavic-equivalent, unfortunately. Last name was bastardised.

Sure! I'll get to work on that.
I may not have the final result up until tomorrow, though, because it's getting late here.

Esconelle wrote:Jesus Christ you guys are going into excruciating detail in what I thought was going to be a fairly straightforward RP...

We're dedicated. ;)

Cool. Thinking about it, my second character Lillian Skarbek is more understandable. Skarbek is a polish name that is anglicized. Lillian is a latin derived english name. So she could be a Lowland Thor who's family is heavily Ezericized, but has roots in the old Vyorony culture.
Call me Carly
Gayism enabler
Trans Girl

Nogay Islamic Empire
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 31, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Nogay Islamic Empire » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:25 pm

Name: Fiqri Aji Tantoro
Sex/gender: Male (M or F will suffice. Elaborate if needed.)

Years of service: 13 (If first tour, leave empty.)
Civilian occupation: chief Corporate Operations
Nobility: His father was a well-known entrepreneur wise, and his mother was a rich kid who is very generous (Also state rank. If not applicable, leave empty.)

Preferred role: Riflemen, Medic, Marksman, Platoon Leaders (List up to three in order of preference.)
Preferred squad/platoon: 2st Platoon (If none, leave empty.)

Appearance: Fiqri (Description or photo, optional.)

Galter Gulcher
Minister

Founded: Sep 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Galter Gulcher » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:28 pm

Name: Carl "Coalface" Hickin
Sex/gender: M
Years of service: 3
Civilian occupation: Coal Miner
Nobility: Nope

Preferred role: Mortar team leader.
Preferred squad/platoon: Mortar section -- Werebear One Delta

Appearance:
Last edited by Galter Gulcher on Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
_[' ]_
(-_Q) If you support Capitalism put this in your Signature.
Screw the NSA.
I support gay marriage.
I am against Gay attitudes towards pretty much anything.
Hungary people need to just eat some endangered animals.
Mallorea and Riva should be awarded for their actions.

Kriegers
Envoy

Founded: Jun 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Kriegers » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:42 pm

Galter Gulcher wrote:Name: Carl "Coalface" Hickin
Years of service: 4

Appearance:

So that's why they call him "Coalface".
We speak a Germanic language that is not German.
If a non-human ever commands our forces
Anthem (Better)
Techs: PT, MT, PMT, FT, slightly FanT.
Enemies: Non-humans, mainly ponies.
Grenartia wrote:
Kriegers wrote:Looks interesting. I might join, let me just hit the WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE? button.

http://i.imgur.com/Q0YVcDA.jpg

The Carlisle
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Carlisle » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:46 pm

Kriegers wrote:

Appearance:

I question whether he ever washed his face at all.
Call me Carly
Gayism enabler
Trans Girl

Kisinger
Senator

Founded: Oct 26, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Kisinger » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:47 pm

Kriegers wrote:

Appearance:

I can think of a few other reasons why... But let's go with yours!
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:Don't you dare take my other 75% orgasm. I'm a greedy womyn, influenced by the cold hard erection of the patriarchy.

"First rule of leadership: everything is your fault." ~ Bug's Life

Galter Gulcher
Minister

Founded: Sep 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Galter Gulcher » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:48 pm

Its not permanently like that! That picture was simply snapped when he was coming out of his mine, not his usual appearence!

But in any case, the reason he is called Coalface his because he is a Coal Miner, not because of his Appearance picture.
Last edited by Galter Gulcher on Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_[' ]_
(-_Q) If you support Capitalism put this in your Signature.
Screw the NSA.
I support gay marriage.
I am against Gay attitudes towards pretty much anything.
Hungary people need to just eat some endangered animals.
Mallorea and Riva should be awarded for their actions.

Kriegers
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Kriegers » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:52 pm

Galter Gulcher wrote:Its not permanently like that! That picture was simply snapped when he was coming out of his mine, not his usual appearence!

But in any case, the reason he is called Coalface his because he is a Coal Miner, not because of his Appearance picture.

It's okay. We accept your coal-coatedness. After all, I always wear a gas mask.
Last edited by Kriegers on Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anthem (Better)
Grenartia wrote:
Kriegers wrote:Looks interesting. I might join, let me just hit the WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE? button.

The Carlisle
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Carlisle » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:52 pm

Galter Gulcher wrote:Its not permanently like that! That picture was simply snapped when he was coming out of his mine, not his usual appearence!

I know. Just a little joke. My dad called my grandpa a raccoon the first time he met him because he worked in the coal mines and just got home with coal dust still on his face. :p
Call me Carly
Gayism enabler
Trans Girl

Kriegers
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Kriegers » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:53 pm

The Carlisle wrote:

I know. Just a little joke. My dad called my grandpa a raccoon the first time he met him because he worked in the coal mines and just got home with coal dust still on his face. :p

Pennsylvanians?
Anthem (Better)
Grenartia wrote:

The Carlisle
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Carlisle » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:55 pm

Kriegers wrote:
The Carlisle wrote:I know. Just a little joke. My dad called my grandpa a raccoon the first time he met him because he worked in the coal mines and just got home with coal dust still on his face. :p

Pennsylvanians?

yeppers
Call me Carly
Gayism enabler
Trans Girl

Kriegers
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Kriegers » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:58 pm

The Carlisle wrote:
Kriegers wrote:Pennsylvanians?

yeppers

Ah. I once had a friend in a little town called Boiling Springs that was super hyped about hiking through the coal region whilst carrying a boombox.
Anthem (Better)
Grenartia wrote:

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse