NATION

PASSWORD

[Query] Mods not taking RMB rule violations seriously?

Who needs it, who got it, who hands it out and why.
Woodfall Swamp
Political Columnist

Founded: Feb 12, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

[Query] Mods not taking RMB rule violations seriously?

Postby Woodfall Swamp » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:00 pm

I'm not sure if this should be moved to technical or have this remain in the moderation forum, but I'm keeping it here for now.

I was wondering why the moderators don't seem to take RMB posts that clearly violate the rules as seriously as they do on the forums. On the forums the slightest insult is met with warnings, yet rather volatile language is allowed on RMBs.

For example, after the midterms I reported a post that was clearly gloating about the Republican win and was obviously griefing/baiting the so-called "lefties" into a flame war. When the mods got back to me I was basically told that since the post wasn't made on the forums where it would have been actionable, but since it was made on a RMB they weren't going to do anything.

Others have told me they have reported posts that would have been torn apart by mods if posted on the forums, but since they were made on the RMB they weren't going to do anything.

Now I'm wondering if mods aren't taking rule violations on RMBs (and telegrams to a lesser extent) as seriously as they take rule violations on the forums. Can the mods clarify this?

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:09 pm

Players can manage an element of self-moderation over their RMBs, with the ability to suppress posts and eject/ban troublemakers. That means that minor issues are left to founders/delegates to sort out.

Regions also have certain cultures to them, reflected on their RMBs. The West Pacific, for example, has lots of song lyrics posted on their RMB - that kind of behaviour on the forums would result in the quick racking up of bans, but since it's their RMB and the kind of thing they enjoy, they're left to it. Similarly, some regions enjoy vigorous political debate, and can have a particular ideological leaning.

A comment made by a nation on Capitalist Paradise's RMB with some gloating over a Republican victory doesn't have the same invective or intent to bait that the same comment would in the General forum.

Woodfall Swamp
Political Columnist

Founded: Feb 12, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Woodfall Swamp » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:29 pm

I think the problem with some of these regions is that there is no self-control. Some delegates simply sit by and allow trolling, flaming, etc to happen without punishing those responsible. It makes me wonder why the rules aren't universal across NationStates instead of only the forums.

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:36 pm

Woodfall Swamp wrote:I think the problem with some of these regions is that there is no self-control. Some delegates simply sit by and allow trolling, flaming, etc to happen without punishing those responsible. It makes me wonder why the rules aren't universal across NationStates instead of only the forums.

There are certain rules which are universal, trolling and flaming for example.

That said, you must also remember that RMBs are not exactly as visible as the forums and we rely a whole heck of a lot more on player reports.
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

Return to Moderation