NATION

PASSWORD

Which Anime are you watching or have watched recently III?

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.
Las Palmeras
Minister

Founded: Jun 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Which Anime are you watching or have watched recently III?

Postby Las Palmeras » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:38 pm

A direct continuation on the threads started by Nanatsu no Tsuki dedicated to this medium of entertainment with a diversity only smaller than the different tastes of the many users of this site. Like always, here we'll pretty much post about the thing we enjoy...and all the related details that can encompass it. A big introduction will be impossible if we've dedicated previous 1000 pages of something that can only be generalized to avoid lengthiness; so all I can hope for is that everybody continues on with this and let's cross our fingers for more to come.

That being noted, as OP I have to say something about the things I've been viewing lately. I have said it a few times before but; I've been under the spell of Princess Arete, a film with a retro look whose story had pleasant characters and many different clues relating to it's background story. Hint-Hint, Clarke's Third Law. I've also been selectively viewing episodes of Haibane Renmei and Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru on the weekends because I'm a sucker for magical realism and the Slice of Life genre.

And, what of you? Have you seen a series or an animated film recently? Read a manga? Heard online rumors of x series or it's staff and studio? Wanna say something about x franchise or the possible derivations and spin-offs?
Last edited by Las Palmeras on Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hey hey, LP here: Too burnt out with this nation to make new lore or fix macrohistorical longue durée alt-his inconsistencies, too clingy to let it die.
UPHOLD SOUTH REINISM-LENINISM! UNLIMITED DESTRUCTION OF 1ST WORLD HETERRHOIDS!

Vekalse
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Vekalse » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:40 pm

Kuroko no Basuke.

SEASON 3 COME FASTER....
Last edited by Vekalse on Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You heard it here first. Kidding, you probably heard it from Lindenhole: I am literally insane. :P

JASONHOLT for LIFE. <3
Jasonholt Theme

WATCH UNTIL YOU CRY! xD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qseH6-DV2gc

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:42 pm

Tag.
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Cabana
Minister

Founded: May 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cabana » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:44 pm

Spice and Wolf as well as Watamote.
Post-Sarcastic Gnostic Anarcho-Fascist
Bezombia wrote:-Reagan was a Pastafarian and had statues of Cthulhu in his bed every night.
-Vladimir Lenin was married to Reagan's wife. Make of that what you will.
come on and slam
Only results! This world only remembers the results!

Las Palmeras
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Las Palmeras » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:46 pm

Cabana wrote:Spice and Wolf as well as Watamote.

Hmm, Spice and Wolf...which part are you on?
Hey hey, LP here: Too burnt out with this nation to make new lore or fix macrohistorical longue durée alt-his inconsistencies, too clingy to let it die.

Gigaverse
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 26, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gigaverse » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:46 pm

Throw a Japanese guy who resents having five younger sisters - each a year apart - alongside aforementioned sisters, into a world that would surely screw the latter five real good for being Japanese.

I'm talking about a Noucome - Code Geass crossover.
Art-person(?). Japan liker. tired-ish.
Student in linguistics ???. On-and-off writer.
MAKE CAKE NOT stupidshiticanmakefunof.
born in, raised in and emigrated from vietbongistan lolol
Operating this polity based on preferences and narrative purposes
clowning incident | clowning incident | bottom text
can produce noises in (in order of grasp) vietbongistani, oldspeak
and bonjourois (learning weebspeak and hitlerian at uni)

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:47 pm

I watched the entire hellsing series (both series and the dawn) I have an idea of a unified timeline; but I also feel the two timelines are good to keep them separate.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Tylerion Empire
Civil Servant

Founded: May 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Tylerion Empire » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:49 pm

Spice and Wolf and Death Note

Gigaverse
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gigaverse » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:50 pm

Soldati senza confini wrote:I watched the entire hellsing series (both series and the dawn) I have an idea of a unified timeline; but I also feel the two timelines are good to keep them separate.

The flag you're bearing.

The saga behind it inspired me to conceive the ideas for my current project. <3

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:52 pm

Gigaverse wrote:
Soldati senza confini wrote:I watched the entire hellsing series (both series and the dawn) I have an idea of a unified timeline; but I also feel the two timelines are good to keep them separate.

The flag you're bearing.

Is it an animation project or a manga project or a book project? :p
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Las Palmeras
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Las Palmeras » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:54 pm

Gigaverse wrote:Throw a Japanese guy who resents having five younger sisters - each a year apart - alongside aforementioned sisters, into a world that would surely screw the latter five real good for being Japanese.

I remember believing that the whole "imouto" thing was a modern derivation of some old custom of adopting male heirs for a patriarchal family line. Granted...I've been known in these threads for over-analyzing. I'm sure anthropology has explanations.

Cabana
Minister

Founded: May 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cabana » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:55 pm

Las Palmeras wrote:
Cabana wrote:Spice and Wolf as well as Watamote.

I'm at episode three, I haven't watched it in a while due to school.
Post-Sarcastic Gnostic Anarcho-Fascist
Bezombia wrote:-Reagan was a Pastafarian and had statues of Cthulhu in his bed every night.
-Vladimir Lenin was married to Reagan's wife. Make of that what you will.
come on and slam
Only results! This world only remembers the results!

Las Palmeras
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Las Palmeras » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:56 pm

Cabana wrote:
Las Palmeras wrote:

I'm at episode three, I haven't watched it in a while due to school.

Ok, if my memory is right. The arc about some fur guild will show up...along with some high personal risks for the main characters.

Bearon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Bearon » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:05 pm

Tag.
Nothing to see here. Move along.

Gigaverse
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gigaverse » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:06 pm

Soldati senza confini wrote:
Gigaverse wrote:The flag you're bearing.

Is it an animation project or a manga project or a book project? :p

A manga one.
Las Palmeras wrote:
Gigaverse wrote:Throw a Japanese guy who resents having five younger sisters - each a year apart - alongside aforementioned sisters, into a world that would surely screw the latter five real good for being Japanese.

I remember believing that the whole "imouto" thing was a modern derivation of some old custom of adopting male heirs for a patriarchal family line. Granted...I've been known in these threads for over-analyzing. I'm sure anthropology has explanations.

Just watch this.

Oaledonia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Oaledonia » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:10 pm

I'm playing Kancolle's 2014 Fall Event, waiting for the anime :P
Last edited by Wikipe-tan on January 13, 2006 4:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The lovable PMT nation of hugs and chibi! Now with 75% more Hanyū!
Oaledonian wiki | Decoli Defense | Embassy | OAF Military Info
Blackjack-and-Hookers wrote:
Oaledonia wrote:I'll go make my own genocidal galactic empire! with blackjack and hookers

You bet your ass you will!
Divair wrote:NSG summer doesn't end anymore. Climate change.
Under construction
*POLITICALLY CONTENTIOUS STATEMENTS INTENSIFY*

Las Palmeras
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Las Palmeras » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:18 pm

I'll show you what I mean by over-analyzing. This is a copy of a a shoddy investigation I did, if the previous thread will be in the archives, you'll see it. I failed in explaining some abstractions. A also failed to mention recent things like "ren-ai", dating, and a generally more liberal society:
Well, here it is...post-phoned as a worth project for analysis. And incomplete. But I'm sure y'alls know about your terminology and archetypes.

Harem Anime, a popular import, and specific genre of Japanese Anime, here among my peers. My decision to make this is out of simple acknowledgement of it's popularity and out of a known recognition of a painfully precise structure that seems abhorrent. At first, it is a well-known marketing gimmick for teenage boys visually pleased by a considerably over-sexualized visual setting, but given a new look it is a rigid and self-repeating puzzle waiting to be constructed. It's abundant in messages, and it proves as much of a reflection of the makers as it is a mirror of the viewer. The appropriate method, or the one I preferred, was Claude Lévi-Strauss' structuralist approach. The previously mentioned structure and the abundance of archetypes only strengthen this resolve. The main point, once again taking Lévi-Strauss as support; what precisely are the logical prepositions within the structure?

To briefly explain structuralism, we must examine culture. Culture, the human work of abstracted thought and perception of their environment to properly function at best with it. It's everywhere, from social relations and customs to material creations of human societies. A human society, like an individual being has a constant need to reflect the whole of itself and inevitably does it when perception gets put to work. In this case, it's framed in cels of animation that eventually form part of telecommunications. But, it's a story nonetheless, a creation abundant in archetypes: Binary Opposites. Binary Oppositions that serve as the intangible organizer of social relations in this case. But it is always the filling element wherever it is.

Cultural Backround
Japan has been historically prone to isolation, it retained much of it's customs (most of which were heavily influenced by mainland East Asian influences) until the end of the Second World War, causing a blend and an aspiration of order between modernity and traditionalism.

In a traditional sense, for a long time Japanese society has been full of rigid social hierarchies within interpersonal relations, patriarchy is the norm. In the family setting it is no different. A family is a monogamous unit where a patriarch has heavy influence, though it doesn't necessarily have to be the husband. Younger generations are obedient onto their elders, and women are submissive unto the men. A patriarch was traditionally necessary to maintain the family though the responsibilities of managing it and maintaining the cult of honor to departed ancestors since ancient times.

Since these remote times, there has always been a separation between eroticism and conjugal union. The objective of the latter to make descendants.

In modern times, there is a general dislike to feelings of love, considered a disruptive condition full of passions and emotional inconveniences.

Review
In order to have made this a possibility, I watched KissxSis, Love Hina, and Zero no Tsukaima. Using the previously mentioned structuralism as a theoretic method, I hope to identify the logical prepositions (in this case a culture's ideology) within the format of this particular genre as it reflects the functions of gender roles within Japanese society. The logical prepositions are the perfect base for the values and beliefs of a society applied to reality.

Genre
The generalized classification of anime series with similar characteristics identify harem anime as a series generally dedicated to demonstrating the relationship dynamics of a sole male protagonist and a group of female pretenders. The female protagonists are in essence a raw archetype. The male protagonist is often flawed in personality and reacts unto his harem in varied forms, be it avoidance, acceptance, or outright participation.

General Narrative Structure
The narrative structure is the medium in which the logical prepositions are conveyed. Where the Binary Oppositions are subconsciously put to work. Where the abstract is hoped to be put to applied concrete work in reality. For that to work, the viewer must feel identified in some extent or other to the work displayed. All the series started with a titular introduction in a rather colorful fashion and with cheery or upbeat music, save for the "tender" one of Aoi Yori Aoshi. A basic introduction for the protagonists with text applied to their names appeared in all the series. An ending is generally the same. Series have a middle interlude, in which time for commercials occur and occasionally serve as a brief re-cap of what previously occurred, endings have a brief glimpse of the next episode for added suspense. The series have from a dozen to two dozen episodes, generally.

Archetypes and their Opposites
Tsundere---Yamato Nadeshiko/Maid/Nanny/Motherly-type
Bokuko---Kuudere/Shrinking Violet
Genki Girl---Kuudere/Shrinking Violet
Sexually Provocative Character---Generally all the above mentioned
Protagonist---Romantic Pretender (occasionally)
Protagonist---Romantic Rival (sometimes a more successful person or a lesbian)
Protagonist---Lecherous Friends

The Protagonist
The protagonist is made to be identifiable to the viewer, he is generally a regular person with nothing special. Most of the times he even has personal flaws and factors involving some varying degree of social stigma. He is a nobody, until he meets the main female protagonist who also generally has an edge in the "competition" for him against other female protagonists (Love Hina, Zero no Tsukaima, Ai Yori Aoshi) or alternatively there is no defined preference (KissxSis).

He is bestowed with a specific bond to the female protagonist in all cases, be it by circumstances or by chance. Then a gradual harem forms as girls get drawn by him for some arbitrary reason. He is generally well-meaning in all aspects of his being, at times he can be perverted, he gains self-assurance and firmness to his decision making eventually in most cases. In the case of Hiraga Saito (Zero no Tsukaima) it happens fairly quickly.

The Main Female Protagonist
The idealized romantic partner for the protagonist. The series seen had a preference to the Tsundere-type (Love Hina, Zero no Tsukaima) or the Yamato Nadeshiko (Ai Yori Aoshi). But in all, these archetypes at one point competed to please the protagonist; be it with food, affection, or some sort of sexual proposition (less common with the Yamato Nadeshiko). In most cases, they're desired by the men of the series and are often seen as ideal within their setting (save Louise).

Protagonists listed as tsundere are Naru Narusegawa and Louise Francoise le Blanc de la Valerie. Aoi Sakubara is a Yamato Nadeshiko, as is Ako Suminoe.

Other Protagonists
Lesser protagonists often serve as support for the couple. In the harem they can lead to help in solving problems or often times foment them (especially the female archetypes, be it accidentally or purposely) as they surge misunderstandings though sexually compromising situations, or some other form of obstacle for the main couple if there is one. Male supporting staff occasionally give advice to the protagonist which has the same results or is alternatively there so he could act as a foil to what the main protagonist is.

Antagonists
The protagonist is faced with a rival to his beloved's love at times, these are socially more well-off the protagonist (Kaoru's half-brother, Lord Wardes, etc.) or they're a member of the opposite sex who desire the female protagonist. Possibly out of fanservice, or a repression of "unproductive" homosexuality.

Conclusion
Harem anime serves as a reflection of a patriarchal Japanese society and exalts it no-mater what romantic partner is chosen in the stories. In the case the chosen character is not an Ideal Japanese woman, she often tries to be and that's the logical preposition waiting to be put to practice. Protagonists in all cases, obtain success by sticking to social norms and conventional gender roles.

The puzzling show of affection and love could be seen as a simplification of interpersonal relations, or it could be seen as a form of fictionally 'letting off steam', a way of crossing taboo, an escapism in a society known to repress certain degree of sentimentality.

It is a mere mirror of what the viewer is, what they want to be (Big Brother figure or reformed protagonist), and what they don't want to be (loser protagonist and BF).

Baron, Robert A. "Fundamentos de la Psicología" (Foundations of Psychology). Prentice-Hall Hispanoamericana. 3rd Edition. Mexico, 1997
Boekhoff, Herman & Winzer et. al. "Historia de la Cultura Oriental" (History of Eastern Culture). Labor. 1st Edition. Spain, 1969.
Crooks, Robert & Baur, Karla. "Nuestra Sexualidad" (Our Sexuality).Thomson. 7th Edition. Mexico, 2004 (p.43)
Hearn, Lafcadio. "Japón: Un intento de interpretación" (Japan: An Attempt at Interpretation). Satory. 1st Edition. Spain, 2009. (p.49)
Range Alta, Ernesto J. "La Pareja: Elección, problemática y desarollo". (The Couple: Choice, Problem, and Development).Plaza y Valdés y la Universidad Iberoamericana. Mexico. 1996 (pp.426, 440-442)
Wiseman, Boris & Groves, Judy. "Inroducción a Lévi-Strauss". (Introducing Levi-Strauss). Era Naciente. 1st Edition. Argentina, 2002. (pp.149-151)

Freniere, Aurea. (2008, May). La evolución de la ternura en el anime. Anime y Manga, p.4-5
F, Fernando. (2012, February). High School DxD: La malvada con rostro de ángel. Conexión Manga,p. 4-5
G, Eduardo. (2011, January). Motto To Love Ru: El regreso de la chica del espacio.Conexión Manga,p.22
Pardo, Lisandro. (2006, September). Love Hina: La mejor posada del mundo. Otaku. P. 16-22
Olicón, Ernesto. (2011, December). Mayo Chiki! Hemorragia hormonal.Conexión Manga,p.8-9
Uríbe, Monica. (2009, January). To Love Ru. Conexión Manga, p. 6-9
Zarate, Adalisa. (2012, February). Maken-ki. Conexión Manga, p. 48

Sorry If I got lazy translating ALL the titles...oh, and I forgot to write down in my special notebook which page I used in the psychology book, but it mentioned that Japanese students (compared to Western ones) have a negative outlook on love.

Oh. And the pink haired girl is rather annoying.

Vancon
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Vancon » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:32 pm

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Sup!

Also, I just finished Deadman Wonderland a couple o' days ago and it was grand.
Mike the Progressive wrote:You know I don't say this often, but this guy... he gets it. Like everything. As in he gets life.

Imperializt Russia wrote:
The balkens wrote:Please tell me that condoms and Hazelnut spread are NOT on the same table.

Well what the fuck do you use for lube?

Krazakistan wrote:How have you not died after being exposed to that much shit on a monthly basis?
Rupudska wrote:I avoid NSG like one would avoid ISIS-occupied Syria.
Alimeria- wrote:I'll go to sleep when I want to, not when some cheese-eating surrender monkey tells me to.

Which just so happens to be within the next half-hour

Shyluz wrote:Van, Sci-fi Generallisimo

U18 2nd Cutest NS'er 2015
Best Role Play - Science Fiction 2015: Athena Program

Morlodania
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 29, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Morlodania » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:13 pm

*This is not a tag, but I can't think of anything better to put since I haven't watched any anime recently*
Beware, I live
Prophet of MorloKitty!

Officially Thernsymantic!
Statty: Un-Daughter
New Cinoth: Insane Mistress
Sungai: Cousin of Sorts
Pinki3: Living Cupcake
LadyRebels: The Witch
Fort: That Crazy Guy in the Corner
Gidge: The Fluffy Queen
Valerie: Vampire Cookie Queen
Glee: Glee-chan
Greater Appalachia: The Ghost
Earthy/Uni: Platonic Lover
Nana: Kitteh Mama

Gallade wrote:My Little Morlo, Abduction is Magic~

I am the Night. I am Nightmare and Shadow, I am Fear and Death, I am Rest and Peace. I am your deepest Fears, I am your greatest Comfort. I am all you hide from, and yet, I am all you want.

Tano
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Tano » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:17 pm

Saturday is my favorite day of the week, because that's when new Log Horizon episodes are released on CR :P

*hums intro*
Tano Holland
Govindia: Do you consider me a friend, or just an acquaintance or what?
hobbes: I don't particularly consider anyone a true 'friend'
hobbes: at least,not on NS
Govindia: why is that?
hobbes: because
hobbes: everyone here is a jackass
hobbes: myself included

Pixie: *heart sploosh*
Tano: if your heart is splooshing you should contact a doctor
Tano: hearts are supposed to thump not sploosh
Pixie: No this is normal
Pixie: intense emotion causes me to hemorrage internally
Pixie: my life is like a really depressing comedic episode of The X-Files

Khron: we need an achievment of rem's face just for Tano
Pixie: haha
Pixie: "be Tano"

Brunhilde: My quotes should be in more signatures.

Also known as Takane or Terisclu

Escalan Corps-Star Island
Senator

Founded: May 07, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Escalan Corps-Star Island » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:25 pm

Saturday is on occasion my favourite day of the week– because I can sadly look at SAO II and F/SN episodes.
Also going to take a look at Gundam Wing.
Last edited by Escalan Corps-Star Island on Tue May 03, 2016 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:51 pm

Tag, because I already stated what I was watching in the last thread.(Wixoss)
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Senyosu
Senator

Founded: Mar 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Senyosu » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:02 am

Tags with my Psycho Pass addiction/obsession/whatever the fuck it is at this point.

Also, am I weird for fanboying over white haired characters. This is a deterrence to those that wish to dye their hair a pale color.
Senyosu is under reconstruction, however, former tropes still apply

The State of Senyosu ― Senñosy-ül Jür

Your resident Frugal, Nationalistic, Quasi-Jingoist, Buddhist-Tengrist, North-East Asian, Technocratic, Democratic Khanate
anything u want me to be babe ;)

Nyte
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2012
Democratic Socialists

Postby Nyte » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:10 am

Just started watching Attack on Titan.
Self censored due to concerns of Moderation Abuse and ambiguous rules enforcement.

Eaglleia
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Eaglleia » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:01 am

Fate/UBW is mounting up for next episode, it seems.
Akame ga Kill looks like it'll go for an anime original ending, huh.
And SAOII remains surprisingly faithful.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction