NATION

PASSWORD

NS Military Realism Mk. 7: NO

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Cascadeland
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Cascadeland » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:48 am

What about you?

Argue? This is about discussion, is it not?

Why did you decide to do this whilst you are still "young" in NS?

Why does it matter? I thought this thread was about discussion?
If there is "seniority" when it comes to discussions, then I guess im at a disadvantage there.

Regardless of how your debate goes, your reputation is at stake here. I'd suggest to stop before you are ridiculed into oblivion, for your sake.

If my reputation is at stake for bringing facts into the discussion coupled with real world experience on the subject matter, then that says a lot about the quality of a few people here (not all certainly, but some).

Sometimes you need to sit back and let people who know more about the subject at hand explain it to you. Why keep at it and lose all the making of a positive reputation?

I realize that but this is not one of those subjects. You wont see me making arguments about naval warfare, for example.

Did anyone here specifically write that CAS was obsolete

Yes, Aelarus specifically said, "CAS has changed since the 70s" page 153. Also the arguments against the 30mm gun and A10 concept is also a argument against the relevancy of CAS as I mentioned before. Then there is the outright mischaracterization of my argument when it came to CAS and what defines it.

or that bombs were all that was needed to support ground operations?

Bombs and missiles, yes. Again, pertaining to the 30mm gun's supposed obsolescence.

Because, reading back through the thread, you seem to be arguing points which nobody even rose with you.

Go to 153 and up. They're there.

And either you're continually playing down the importance and ability of other aircraft now involved with ground support

No. The discussion was about the A10, not the importance of other aircraft involved with ground support. The importance of other aircraft in the inventory for specific roles cannot be overstated (to include the newer F22). While some aircraft may be flawed, that doesn't mean they are worthless. Thats stretching it too far.

or you're unaware of them, as you've consistently alluded all through this thread that the A-10 was somehow unique in more ways than one.

It is and I've already explained why, just like the other aircraft in the air force inventory are for their tasks.
Last edited by Cascadeland on Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vitaphone Racing
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Vitaphone Racing » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:14 am

Cascadeland wrote:Did anyone here specifically write that CAS was obsolete

Yes, Aelarus specifically said, "CAS has changed since the 70s" page 153. Also the arguments against the 30mm gun and A10 concept is also a argument against the relevancy of CAS as I mentioned before. Then there is the outright mischaracterization of my argument when it came to CAS and what defines it.

By what grotesque stretch of the imagination is "CAS has changed" equivalent to "CAS is obsolete"? Seriously? Further, Aelarus is entirely correct; CAS has changed just how lots of things have changed since the 70's and brings with it a host of new requirements and new considerations while older considerations have faded into oblivion.

Further, the definition of CAS is literally as simple as aircraft supporting ground troops on the ground by eliminating direct threats. It is not limited to any specific type of aircraft nor specific type of munition.

or that bombs were all that was needed to support ground operations?

Bombs and missiles, yes. Again, pertaining to the 30mm gun's supposed obsolescence.

And again, I'm yet to see anyone who went as far to claim that bombs were all that was needed for CAS. The 30mm gun might well be obsolete, given that the new 20 and 25mm guns can do practically everything the 30mm gun can do as of the present.

Because, reading back through the thread, you seem to be arguing points which nobody even rose with you.

Go to 153 and up. They're there.

I did. I'm not seeing them.

And either you're continually playing down the importance and ability of other aircraft now involved with ground support

No. The discussion was about the A10, not the importance of other aircraft involved with ground support. The importance of other aircraft in the inventory for specific roles cannot be overstated (to include the newer F22). While some aircraft may be flawed, that doesn't mean they are worthless. Thats stretching it too far.

You can't have a discussion about the A-10 and why it's being replaced while simultaneously ignoring the biggest reasons of why it's being replaced, namely the aircraft around it. You continue to press the idea that the USAF will be lacking in ground support of a critical and obvious nature once the A-10 is retired; it's false. Between the two very different types of aircraft that will be left to share the A-10's role, there are no gaps.

or you're unaware of them, as you've consistently alluded all through this thread that the A-10 was somehow unique in more ways than one.

It is and I've already explained why,

What, you mean the saga about how A-10 pilots could benefit from the tighter-turning and slower platform by being able to pick targets out easier?

Hmmmm... I wonder which US Army aircraft would have similar attributes...
Parhe on my Asian-ness.
Parhe wrote:Guess what, maybe you don't know what it is like to be Asian.

ayy lmao

Cascadeland
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Cascadeland » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:08 am

"By what grotesque stretch of the imagination is "CAS has changed" equivalent to "CAS is obsolete. Seriously? Further, Aelarus is entirely correct; CAS has changed just how lots of things have changed since the 70's and brings with it a host of new requirements and new considerations while older considerations have faded into oblivion.

The contradiction in this statement couldn't be any larger.

If CAS has changed so much since the 70s, that implies obsolescence. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/obsolete

What exactly are older considerations of CAS that have faded into oblivion? I agree that new and more accurate weapons help increase the flexibility of CAS, although the basic concept of not using weapons with large casualty producing radii in close proximity to friendly forces is still a basic consideration. So, nut shell, CAS hasn't changed as a fundamental concept.

Sometimes troops get closer than 500 meters in close combat. Often times, within 200 meters. Again, the main munitions used in service, missiles and bombs, cannot be safely used within close-in distance unless you want to kill friendlies. Are there munitions that theoretically could be? I would certainly say so. They arent produced and fielded in large numbers (yet).

Like I said before, Close Air Support, which is, "is air action by fixed-wing (FW) and rotary-wing (RW) aircraft against
hostile targets that are in close proximity to friendly forces, and requires detailed
integration of each air mission with the fire and movement of those forces." http://fas.org/irp/doddir/dod/jp3_09_3.pdf

"Further, the definition of CAS is literally as simple as aircraft supporting ground troops on the ground by eliminating direct threats. It is not limited to any specific type of aircraft nor specific type of munition. "

...in close proximity. Not by distance, but by situation.

And again, I'm yet to see anyone who went as far to claim that bombs were all that was needed for CAS. The 30mm gun might well be obsolete, given that the new 20 and 25mm guns can do practically everything the 30mm gun can do as of the present.

The 30mm has more energy than 20mm and 25mm, not to mention the A10 having a higher cannon payload than fighter bombers carrying less. That is due in no small part to the A10 being purpose built to accomodate the gun.

Yes, the general argument against the A10 was the sophistication of bombs and missiles, particularly the maverick. What other alternatives are there if the A10s 30mm gun is supposedly obsolete? bombs and missiles. So implying that the gun is obsolete automatically shifts the argument in favor bombs and missiles.

You can't have a discussion about the A-10 and why it's being replaced while simultaneously ignoring the biggest reasons of why it's being replaced, namely the aircraft around it.

Which has been out of production for a time and past the lifespan for existing airframes. I already addressed this. In addition to the other issues it is being replaced in favor of the F35 when it comes to budgets. The obstacles in re-fielding A10s are currently insurmountable and the result would be an aircraft that greatly exceeds its initial 10 million dollar price tag.

You continue to press the idea that the USAF will be lacking in ground support of a critical and obvious nature once the A-10 is retired; it's false.

It will for the reasons I already mentioned about its attributes compared to, say, F16s and F35s. This is the disadvantage of a multipurpose airframe centered around aerial combat when compared to a dedicated, specialized CAS-centric aircraft. Im not arguing that those aforementioned aircraft are "bad", or that they cannot drop PGMs on designated targets if necessary. My argument is that expecting them to be as effective for CAS for ground troops as the A10 was is stretching the imagination to put it nicely.

What, you mean the saga about how A-10 pilots could benefit from the tighter-turning and slower platform by being able to pick targets out easier? *then mention of AH64*

Yes, absolutely. and the loiter time that can be used to provide overwatch for forces on the ground.

And helicopter gunships cannot completely replace CAS aircraft, namely the A10 (although they CAN provide CAS in certain situations). They dont have the survivability to resist small arms fire and the speed. See Karbala 2003. The Soviets also learned this with the SU25 vs Mi24 in Afghanistan. Gunships certainly have their place (reconnaissance and interdiction of IFVs and armor), but to replace a CAS or COIN aircraft? meh...

San-Silvacian
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby San-Silvacian » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:21 am

This is one of the stupid debates I've ever seen.

Ever.

And thats saying something.
░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄
░░░█░░░░▄▀█▀▀▄░░▀▀▀▄░░░░▐█░░░░░░░░░▄▀█▀▀▄░░░▀█▄
░░█░░░░▀░▐▌( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)▐▌░░░▀░░░▐█░░░░░░░░▀░▐▌( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)▐▌░░█▀
░▐▌░░░░░░░▀▄▄▀░░░░░░░░░░▐█▄▄░░░░░░░░░▀▄▄▀░░░░░▐▌
░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
▐█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
▐█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▄░░░▄█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░▐▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀███▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▐▌
░░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░░░░░▄▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░░░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░█

Vitaphone Racing
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Vitaphone Racing » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:12 am

First off, please learn to use the quote button. You'll see it in the bar when you go to reply to this post, two buttons to the left of the italics bar.

Cascadeland wrote:"By what grotesque stretch of the imagination is "CAS has changed" equivalent to "CAS is obsolete. Seriously? Further, Aelarus is entirely correct; CAS has changed just how lots of things have changed since the 70's and brings with it a host of new requirements and new considerations while older considerations have faded into oblivion.

The contradiction in this statement couldn't be any larger.

If CAS has changed so much since the 70s, that implies obsolescence. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/obsolete

Never in all my years have I seen someone actually quote the dictionary and still get the definition wrong.

Microwave ovens have changed since the 70's, are microwave ovens obsolete?

What exactly are older considerations of CAS that have faded into oblivion? I agree that new and more accurate weapons help increase the flexibility of CAS, although the basic concept of not using weapons with large casualty producing radii in close proximity to friendly forces is still a basic consideration. So, nut shell, CAS hasn't changed as a fundamental concept.

No different to microwaves still being used to cook food I suppose Hell, if we're going to use ridiculously broad generalizations and pretend that new and more accurate air-to-ground and ground-to-air missiles aren't critically important in this sort of context then I guess the world hasn't changed since '45.

Sometimes troops get closer than 500 meters in close combat. Often times, within 200 meters.

And often times, even closer. Not that this is relevant.

Again, the main munitions used in service, missiles and bombs, cannot be safely used within close-in distance unless you want to kill friendlies. Are there munitions that theoretically could be? I would certainly say so. They arent produced and fielded in large numbers (yet).

Israel has been supporting it's troops in the Gaza with Hellfire missiles in Gaza in what could be termed "close in distance" for years, as have the British in Afghanistan. The US probably have too at some stage. Either way, this is seemingly irrelevant and I don't think guns are fading from combat any time soon even if 30mm cannons are.

The 30mm has more energy than 20mm and 25mm, not to mention the A10 having a higher cannon payload than fighter bombers carrying less. That is due in no small part to the A10 being purpose built to accomodate the gun.

Except rather than analyzing which gun has more energy, you also need to consider how much energy we need against what drawbacks it brings. Any of those rounds will kill infantry. Any of those rounds will split open a pickup truck ranging up to a lightly armoured vehicle. None of those rounds will be effective against modern tank armor. Why would you insist on a heavier, larger gun that offers no tangible real world benefit? Especially when the drawback is requiring the gun to be mounted on a specialized platform rather than a platform which can perform many different tasks during the one operation, as an F-35 could?

Yes, the general argument against the A10 was the sophistication of bombs and missiles, particularly the maverick. What other alternatives are there if the A10s 30mm gun is supposedly obsolete? bombs and missiles. So implying that the gun is obsolete automatically shifts the argument in favor bombs and missiles.

I would have said the AH-64's Bushmaster, or the F-35's 25mm. Implying that that gun is obsolete is not the same as applying all guns are obsolete. You'd do well to address specifically what was being said rather than trying to extrapolate and argue what's most convenient for you.

You continue to press the idea that the USAF will be lacking in ground support of a critical and obvious nature once the A-10 is retired; it's false.

It will for the reasons I already mentioned about its attributes compared to, say, F16s and F35s. This is the disadvantage of a multipurpose airframe centered around aerial combat when compared to a dedicated, specialized CAS-centric aircraft. Im not arguing that those aforementioned aircraft are "bad", or that they cannot drop PGMs on designated targets if necessary. My argument is that expecting them to be as effective for CAS for ground troops as the A10 was is stretching the imagination to put it nicely.

They aren't going to be as effective for the ground troops as the A-10 was. They were never meant to be because they're only being assigned half of the role. Unlike the A-10, when these replacement aircraft were designed, it was fully expected that attack helicopters would also be providing support. Everything these aircraft cannot to that the A-10 could, the AH-64 can and vice versa. That's the logic there.

What, you mean the saga about how A-10 pilots could benefit from the tighter-turning and slower platform by being able to pick targets out easier? *then mention of AH64*

And helicopter gunships cannot completely replace CAS aircraft, namely the A10 (although they CAN provide CAS in certain situations). They dont have the survivability to resist small arms fire and the speed.[/quote]
Attack helicopters (not gunships, they aren't based off something else) are not intended to completely replace CAS aircraft as I have stated. The nature of rotary wing means they do not need to be as well protected. They are designed to stay extremely close to the ground and minimize contact with the enemy, well behind the actual front.

See Karbala 2003.

Which was a fuck-up.

The Soviets also learned this with the SU25 vs Mi24 in Afghanistan.

If the Soviets knew how many stingers and blowpipes were in Afghanistan, they would have used their Mi-24's differently.

Gunships certainly have their place (reconnaissance and interdiction of IFVs and armor), but to replace a CAS or COIN aircraft? meh...

Combat records and accounts from Afghanistan and Iraq profoundly disagree with you.
Parhe on my Asian-ness.
Parhe wrote:Guess what, maybe you don't know what it is like to be Asian.

ayy lmao

Oaledonia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Oaledonia » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:46 am

Cascadeland wrote:If CAS has changed so much since the 70s, that implies obsolescence. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/obsolete

This is the best quote 2014.
Last edited by Wikipe-tan on January 13, 2006 4:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The lovable PMT nation of hugs and chibi! Now with 75% more Hanyū!
Oaledonian wiki | Decoli Defense | Embassy | OAF Military Info
Blackjack-and-Hookers wrote:
Oaledonia wrote:I'll go make my own genocidal galactic empire! with blackjack and hookers

You bet your ass you will!
Divair wrote:NSG summer doesn't end anymore. Climate change.
Under construction
*POLITICALLY CONTENTIOUS STATEMENTS INTENSIFY*

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:04 am

Cascadeland wrote:If CAS has changed so much since the 70s, that implies obsolescence. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/obsolete

You mean the 1b definition? I've never heard of obsolete being used for old fashioned, I also consulted OED, 1b is an Americanism. Obsfuscating people with language differences is bad and you should feel bad.
The Holy Romangnan Empire of Ostmark
something something the sole legitimate Austria-Hungary larp'er on NS :3

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

The Archangel Conglomerate
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Archangel Conglomerate » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:52 am

What's up with this lot then?
(\/)(•,,,,•)(\/)
Please, call me Arch

Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:For want of lances, the heavy equipment never reached the field.

For want of heavy equipment the platoons FOs could direct no HMGs.

For want of HMGs, the Archians had to rely on shitty fucking microcalibers.

For want of real weapons, they lost the war.

Aelarus
Senator

Founded: Mar 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Aelarus » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:47 am

Cascadeland wrote:Yes, Aelarus specifically said, "CAS has changed since the 70s" page 153. Also the arguments against the 30mm gun and A10 concept is also a argument against the relevancy of CAS as I mentioned before. Then there is the outright mischaracterization of my argument when it came to CAS and what defines it.

As for your previous comment on the USAF, why try so hard for one airframe?
Why not think, just for a bit, if we were replacing the F-35 with the A-10. Would it make sense?
Last edited by Aelarus on Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
A Reference Guide to Me:
"Personal Freedom comes at a Price."
DEFCON: 1 2 3 4 [5] All is well.

1. I respect everyone until convinced to do otherwise.
  2. I have preferences to topics:
    • Military.
    • Nep.
    • Art.
  3. Feel free to TG me if you like. I'm never on, but who knows? I might respond.

Zakennayo!

Vancon
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Vancon » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:58 am

Cascadeland wrote:Even more words

Look, read this:
I adlibbed a bit here, but nevertheless
Hyperspatial Travel wrote:Here's the thing. You're the new guy. And this isn't a particularly friendly society to people who don't follow the (largely unspoken) rules. If you walk into highschool on your first day with your pocket protector at the ready, your suspenders tightened, and your Batman underpants worn back-to-front for good luck, you might cop some shit.

If you do that, walk in, and loudly declare "I'M THE FUCKAN BEST GAIZ, YOU JOCKS SHUT UP AND LISTEN TO ME I CAN KICK YOUR ASS!", you're going to get your head flushed. And you're going to spend your entire time hiding in the library with the other unpopular kids, two of whom are unpopular only because they shit their pants on a daily basis. You're going to want to leave, but you won't be able to. After awhile, you'll convince people you want to be there. That you really love the way shit smells. Especially Jeremy's shit, because he has a balanced diet and doesn't consume many dairy products.

It won't be true. And you'll have a bit of fun. But every time you venture out of that library, you're going to find yourself hair-deep in the one shit Jeremy managed to take in the toilet today before it gets flushed all over your face.

So here's what you do.

You conform.

Wait, what? Isn't conformity bad? Doesn't conformity make you like all those dickheads who you hate?

Well, yeah. It kinda does. But once people respect and like you, you can more-or-less do what you want. Here's the rub, though. You need to be respected and liked first.

So after a little humility, you end up being on the football team. Sure, you're not the quarterback, but you never get flushed. You may not be the most popular guy in town, but you're invited to all the parties, and you don't have to huddle up to Jeremy of a morning and hope that the jocks don't decide to wander into the library for a little sport.

And after a few months, people will just assume you're a fairly decent player and you deserve to be on the same level as them. You don't have to go around declaring that you're equal to the cool kids - nobody who's powerful ever needs to declare it. People just grant you equality by default.
Mike the Progressive wrote:You know I don't say this often, but this guy... he gets it. Like everything. As in he gets life.

Imperializt Russia wrote:
The balkens wrote:Please tell me that condoms and Hazelnut spread are NOT on the same table.

Well what the fuck do you use for lube?

Krazakistan wrote:How have you not died after being exposed to that much shit on a monthly basis?
Rupudska wrote:I avoid NSG like one would avoid ISIS-occupied Syria.
Alimeria- wrote:I'll go to sleep when I want to, not when some cheese-eating surrender monkey tells me to.

Which just so happens to be within the next half-hour

Shyluz wrote:Van, Sci-fi Generallisimo

U18 2nd Cutest NS'er 2015
Best Role Play - Science Fiction 2015: Athena Program

The United Remnants of America
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2013
Democratic Socialists

Postby The United Remnants of America » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:39 am

But really, we've been arguing about CAS for how many pages now? Can't we just, I don't know, move the fuck on?
By any means necessary. Call me URA
Winner of 2015 Best of P2TM Awards: Best Roleplayer - War
"I would much rather be with you than against you, you're way too imaginative."
"URA New Confucius 2015."- Organized States
"Congrats. You just won the second place prize for Not Giving a Fuck. First Place, of course, always goes to Furry."
"He's an 8 Ball, DEN. You can't deal with an 8 Ball." - Empire of Donner land
"This Rp is flexible with science and so will you." - Tagali Federation
"I'm confused as to your tactic but I'll trust you." - Die erworbenen Namen
"Unfiltered, concentrated, possibly weaponized stupidity."
Thafoo, Leningrad Union: DEAT'd for your sins.
Discord: Here

Vancon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Vancon » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:41 am

The United Remnants of America wrote:(Image)

But really, we've been arguing about CAS for how many pages now? Can't we just, I don't know, move the fuck on?

You underestimate the power of NSG.
Mike the Progressive wrote:You know I don't say this often, but this guy... he gets it. Like everything. As in he gets life.

The balkens wrote:Please tell me that condoms and Hazelnut spread are NOT on the same table.

Krazakistan wrote:How have you not died after being exposed to that much shit on a monthly basis?
Alimeria- wrote:I'll go to sleep when I want to, not when some cheese-eating surrender monkey tells me to.

Korouse
Minister

Founded: Mar 10, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Korouse » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:45 am

Vancon wrote:
Cascadeland wrote:Even more words

Look, read this:
I adlibbed a bit here, but nevertheless
Hyperspatial Travel wrote:Here's the thing. You're the new guy. And this isn't a particularly friendly society to people who don't follow the (largely unspoken) rules. If you walk into highschool on your first day with your pocket protector at the ready, your suspenders tightened, and your Batman underpants worn back-to-front for good luck, you might cop some shit.

If you do that, walk in, and loudly declare "I'M THE FUCKAN BEST GAIZ, YOU JOCKS SHUT UP AND LISTEN TO ME I CAN KICK YOUR ASS!", you're going to get your head flushed. And you're going to spend your entire time hiding in the library with the other unpopular kids, two of whom are unpopular only because they shit their pants on a daily basis. You're going to want to leave, but you won't be able to. After awhile, you'll convince people you want to be there. That you really love the way shit smells. Especially Jeremy's shit, because he has a balanced diet and doesn't consume many dairy products.

It won't be true. And you'll have a bit of fun. But every time you venture out of that library, you're going to find yourself hair-deep in the one shit Jeremy managed to take in the toilet today before it gets flushed all over your face.

So here's what you do.

You conform.

Wait, what? Isn't conformity bad? Doesn't conformity make you like all those dickheads who you hate?

Well, yeah. It kinda does. But once people respect and like you, you can more-or-less do what you want. Here's the rub, though. You need to be respected and liked first.

So after a little humility, you end up being on the football team. Sure, you're not the quarterback, but you never get flushed. You may not be the most popular guy in town, but you're invited to all the parties, and you don't have to huddle up to Jeremy of a morning and hope that the jocks don't decide to wander into the library for a little sport.

And after a few months, people will just assume you're a fairly decent player and you deserve to be on the same level as them. You don't have to go around declaring that you're equal to the cool kids - nobody who's powerful ever needs to declare it. People just grant you equality by default.

>Implying the seniors of this thread are "cool"

Anyways, What's the possibility of equipping a WW2 battleship with lots of anti-ship and anti-air missiles?

I'm going to show Padnak Battleships are still cool n stuff.
"Everything is illusory except power,' the revolutionary people reply." - Vladimir Lenin

Kouralia
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 30, 2011
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kouralia » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:46 am

Korouse wrote:Anyways, What's the possibility of equipping a WW2 battleship with lots of anti-ship and anti-air missiles?

I'm going to show Padnak Battleships are still cool n stuff.

Kouralia:

Padnak
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Padnak » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:47 am

"มีใบมีดคมและจิตใจที่คมชัด!"
Have a sharp blade, and a sharper mind!
Need weapons for dubious purposes? Buy Padarm today!
San-Silvacian: Aug 11, 2011-Mar 20, 2015
Inquilabstan wrote:It is official now. Padnak is really Cobra Commander.

Bezombia wrote:It was about this time that Padnak slowly realized that the thread he thought was about gaming was, in fact, an eight story tall crustacean from the protozoic era.

Husseinarti wrote:Powered Borscht.

Because cosmonauts should never think that even in the depths of space they are free from the Soviet Union.

The Kievan People wrote:As usual, this is Padnak's fault, but we need to move on.

Immoren wrote:Again we've sexual tension that can be cut with a bowie.

Erusuia
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 20, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Erusuia » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:50 am

why must battleships look so cool but be so useless in modern combat :(
Glorious Erusuia Forever
Pharthan wrote:
Padnak wrote:Are there any crippling disadvantages to blasting ride of the Valkyries out of the helicopters during an air assault against hostile forces that know you're there?

Being too awesome?

Korouse
Minister

Founded: Mar 10, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Korouse » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:51 am

Erusuia wrote:why must battleships look so cool but be so useless in modern combat :(

Because modern military commanders are incapable of moving close to a shore and bombarding kebabs.
"Everything is illusory except power,' the revolutionary people reply." - Vladimir Lenin

Vancon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Vancon » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:53 am

Korouse wrote:
Erusuia wrote:why must battleships look so cool but be so useless in modern combat :(

Because modern military commanders are incapable of moving close to a shore and bombarding kebabs.

Oh ya,

A while back, Pad and I took the whole remove kebab rant and played it back via google translate's voice thing, and we played Japanese pop music in the background.

Needless to say, it was hilarious.

You should all try it.

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:05 am

Korouse wrote:

One Tallboy hit reduced Tirpitz to a floating battery. The steel on the warhead of the Shipwreck missile is pretty much the same thickness of a Tallboy, and it's hitting you at mach 2 instead of mach one. You do the maths.
Battleships as a surface-to-surface action platform are also heavily dependent on airborne assets telling them where to shoot, because even if you mounted a radar 50 m's up in the air it's not going to get more than 50 km's of actual detection range.
Last edited by Austria-Bohemia-Hungary on Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Holy Romangnan Empire of Ostmark
something something the sole legitimate Austria-Hungary larp'er on NS :3

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

Erusuia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Erusuia » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:11 am

Whats the best way to counter hostile SEAD operations?
Glorious Erusuia Forever
Pharthan wrote:
Padnak wrote:Are there any crippling disadvantages to blasting ride of the Valkyries out of the helicopters during an air assault against hostile forces that know you're there?

Being too awesome?

Tule
Senator

Founded: Jan 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Tule » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:14 am

Erusuia wrote:Whats the best way to counter hostile SEAD operations?

Keep your SAM sites on the move, use decoys, perhaps even use decoys as baits next to hidden SAM sites.

IIRC that's what the Serbs did in the 90's against NATO.
Last edited by Tule on Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Formerly known as Bafuria.

Oaledonia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Oaledonia » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:15 am

Air Superiority fighters.
Attack whatever is launching strikes.
Etc.
Last edited by Wikipe-tan on January 13, 2006 4:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The lovable PMT nation of hugs and chibi! Now with 75% more Hanyū!
Oaledonian wiki | Decoli Defense | Embassy | OAF Military Info
Blackjack-and-Hookers wrote:
Oaledonia wrote:I'll go make my own genocidal galactic empire! with blackjack and hookers

You bet your ass you will!
Divair wrote:NSG summer doesn't end anymore. Climate change.
Under construction
*POLITICALLY CONTENTIOUS STATEMENTS INTENSIFY*

Licana
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Licana » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:15 am

Have air superiority.
>American education
[19:21] <Lubyak> I want to go and wank all over him.
Puzikas wrote:Gulf War One was like Slapstick: The War. Except, you know, up to 40,000 people died.

Vitaphone Racing wrote:Never in all my years have I seen someone actually quote the dictionary and still get the definition wrong.

Husseinarti wrote:
Vitaphone Racing wrote:Do lets. I really want to hear another explanation about dirty vaginas keeping women out of combat, despite the vagina being a self-cleaning organ.

So was the M-16.

Senestrum wrote:How are KEPs cowardly? Surely the "real man" would in fact be the one firing giant rods of nuclear waste at speeds best described as "hilarious".

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:16 am

Shooting down their planes with your planes. Only turn radar on right before you shoot then turn it back off again after shooting. Have observers placed so that you can spot enemy air operations without having to use radar, or try and break their communications for a similar effect. Move around your Air Defense batteries so they are less likely to be found and targeted.
Fact Book.
Helpful hints on combat vehicle terminology.

Imperializt Russia wrote:Support biblical marriage! One SoH and as many wives and sex slaves as he can afford!

Erusuia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Erusuia » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:37 am

many thanks :lol:
Glorious Erusuia Forever
Pharthan wrote:

Being too awesome?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information