NATION

PASSWORD

!!!FRAvision 2014!!!

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.
Joe Bobs
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 21, 2005
Left-wing Utopia

!!!FRAvision 2014!!!

Postby Joe Bobs » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:30 am

(Image)
EVENT HANDBOOK 2014

TABLE OF CONTENTS
  • I. What is FRAVision?
  • II. How do I join? What songs can I submit?
  • III. How does judging work? When does it start?
  • IV. When is the awards ceremony? What are the prizes?

I. What is FRAVision?

What isn't FRAVision? FRAVision is the answer to everything, the greatest way to win over the subject(s) of your affection, and the only verifiable way to actually "win" the game of NationStates.

...None of that is quite true, but FRAVision is a cultural event unlike any other on NS. Inspired by the real-world Eurovision contest, FRAVision features regions and players from across the game coming together to participate in a fun, and competitive, song contest. This is the third year that the event is running, and we're excited to have the pleasure of organizing it again.

FRAVision is a contest where players represent their regions and submit their songs. Player(s) can submit songs on behalf of their region* and, if they win, the player will receive an individual prize and their region will have the honor of holding the contest on their forum next year!

The event's hosts and administrators are Wopruthien, myself, and, if you're lucky this year, maybe Chin-Chillas. As its name implies, the event is hosted by the Founderless Regions Alliance (FRA), but in spirit and practice, FRAVision is an event for everyone, and we really do hope that you'll enjoy it. Whether you submit a song, or just want to tune in and listen, there's no avoiding the fact that there is much fun to be had during these three special weeks!

II. How do I join? What songs can I submit?

Information to Know:
  1. Submissions are open from September 8th until September 22nd. Anyone may submit a song.
  2. One song per contestant. There is no limit on how many songs can be submitted on a single region's behalf, but regions should remember that having votes in their favor split between several entries can hurt their odds of winning during the judging period. For this reason, we now offer a players the option to flag their entries as "non-competing".
  3. You can submit any sort of song you like. It can be a cover of a real song (e.g. you can sing something by Kanye West, The Beatles or Rich Homie Quan), you can write an original work, or it can be related to your nation. Writing lyrics related to NS is another fun option. It's your choice!
  4. The song can be hosted in whatever way we can see it. Youtube or a reliable online mp3 host is recommended. If you're not sure how to do this, feel free to contact Wopruthien for assistance.
  5. You can sing, but you don't have to sing. Simply playing an instrument, or even pursuing some outrageous avant-garde collection of humming machines, is a valid entry. Once again, you get complete control over what you submit. Don't be afraid to take advantage of that fact!
How to Submit

Contestants post the following form in the Submissions forum to enter themselves into the contest.

Topic Title: (Name of individual, group or region)'s Entry

Name of Candidate:
Inspiration/Description of entry:
Entry: (link to video, song or posting of lyrics)
Why should you win? -

Do you want this song to be flagged as non-competing (e.g. will not be judged as a part of the competition) Choosing this is only advisable if your region has already submitted a song. -

III. How does judging work?

Judging occurs from September 23rd - September 28th.

Once the submission phase is over, contestants and the judging team (made up of all regional reps of the FRA Regional Assembly) will vote on their preferred songs. Judges will rate their top 5 songs in order of preference (awarding their favourite 12 (douze) points, then 10 (dix) points, 8 (huit) points and so forth). This will be done by judges posting their votes in a designated thread I will open.

IV. When is the awards ceremony? What are the prizes?

On September 29th, the Awards Ceremony will commence. The following awards are given:
  1. First Place Entry - Whole Note Award (Gold)
  2. Second Place Entry - Half Note Award (Silver)
  3. Third Place Entry - Quarter Note Award (Bronze)
  4. Last Place Entry - Engelbert Humperdink Award
The following awards are given, and all winners will earn the right to a neat award image that he/she can don in his/her signatures.

The first place contestant's region is also given the privilege of hosting the FRAVision Song Contest on their forum the next year, on the condition that they have the infrastructure and activity necessary to organize it at that time.

Happy Composing! You may contact the hosts with any further questions about the Contest.

Yours truly,

Joe Bobs,
Arch-Chancellor of the FRA
Host of FRAVision 2014

Wopruthien,
Host of FRAVision 2014

Milograd,
Former Arch-Chancellor of the FRA
Old Zertaxia: You crazy, drunk penguin.

GRA: Forum Administrator and Architect of the GRA Archives. Formerly: President; Speaker; First Minister; High General of the GRADF; Foreign Affairs Minister; Senator; Congressman; Ambassador Plenipotentiary; First Lieutenant of the GRADF.

FRA: Formerly: Arch-Chancellor; Vice Chancellor; Regional Liaison Officer; GRA Representative; Ranger.

Q102: Formerly: Delegate; Deputy Delegate; Foreign Affairs Minister; Immigration & Officials Minister; Judge; Ambassador.

ARC: Formerly: Founder; Chairman.

Other Former Citizen of The Rejected Realms, The West Pacific, 00000 A World Power, Lazarus, Europa, Scroll Islands. Former Correspondent for The Rejected Times. Regular visitor everywhere.

The Leningrad Union
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 23, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Leningrad Union » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:04 am

I am totally singing for this :D
I founded Madrigal and Confederacy of Allied States. However, I have given up my power in both. I reside in Iraq currently. Come join me!

Parody of typical NSG sig:

NSG's resident Liberal Gay Atheist because there's totally no other liberals, gays or atheists here!
Impeach GP, Legalize RP, NSG 2016!
Mallorea and Riva should resign
*Insert some uneducated statement about how I support a stupid ideology that I heard about in my middle school social studies class*
*Insert some typical liberal and/or edgy statement about Gaza and/or Ukraine*

some popular TETer wrote:Leningrad iz kewl

some dude that agreed with me on a debate wrote:Just listen to Leningrad!

Astarial
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 12, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Astarial » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:05 am

Didn't TBH win last year's contest? Shouldn't they be hosting this on their forum? :p
Ballotonia: Astarial already phrased an answer very well. Hence I'll just say: "Me too."1
Purriest Kitteh, 2012

Jakker
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Jakker » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:05 pm

Astarial wrote:Didn't TBH win last year's contest? Shouldn't they be hosting this on their forum? :p

Guess FRA doesn't like us :(
One Stop Rules Shop
Getting Help Request (GHR)

The Bruce wrote:Mostly I feel sorry for [raiders], because they put in all this effort and at the end of the day have nothing to show for it and have created nothing.

Crushing Our Enemies
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 16, 2004
Corporate Police State

Postby Crushing Our Enemies » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:11 pm

Astarial wrote:Didn't TBH win last year's contest? Shouldn't they be hosting this on their forum? :p
Yes we did, and yes we should :eyebrow:
[violet] wrote:You are definitely not genial.
[violet] wrote:Congratulations to Crushing Our Enemies for making the first ever purchase. :)

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Hmm, I'm considering to turn viewtopic.php?p=19879406#p19879406 into a song.

But I fear some people's wrath :p
The Blaatschapen should resign

Kogvuron
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 30, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Kogvuron » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:47 pm

Crushing Our Enemies wrote:
Yes we did, and yes we should :eyebrow:

I think this clause probably applies

"The first place contestant's region is also given the privilege of hosting the FRAVision Song Contest on their forum the next year, on the condition that they have the infrastructure and activity necessary to organize it at that time."
"It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul. " - William Ernest Henley

"Cowards die many times before their deaths,
The valiant never taste of death but once." - Julius Caesar

Bigoz
Civilian

Founded: Sep 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Bigoz » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:07 pm

Kogvuron wrote:
Crushing Our Enemies wrote:Yes we did, and yes we should :eyebrow:

"The first place contestant's region is also given the privilege of hosting the FRAVision Song Contest on their forum the next year, on the condition that they have the infrastructure and activity necessary to organize it at that time."

So TBH doesnt have a forum and admins available to organize the threads for the event?

Cormac A Stark
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cormac A Stark » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:09 pm

That is the lamest excuse I've ever heard. TBH has a forum and is more active than most of your member regions. :P

Tim-Opolis
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 17, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Tim-Opolis » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:06 pm

Cormac A Stark wrote:That is the lamest excuse I've ever heard. TBH has a forum and is more active than most of your member regions. :P

Are you done recycling 5-year old rhetoric that isn't accurate? :roll:

Regarding TBH, to my knowledge, attempts to coordinate the event with them were made repeatedly (let's remember that Eurovision happens in Spring, so it's been a while). A continued lack of reply or cooperation from TBH on the matter seems to have led to this. It's obviously not going to be re-considered because TBH decided to start existing a few weeks ago, when they spent months being more stale than an Imperialist's rhetoric. (and don't get me wrong, I <3 TBH)
Last edited by Tim-Opolis on Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Want to be a hero? Join The Grey Wardens - Help Us Save Nationstates
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Commended by Security Council Resolution #420 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Author of SC#74, SC #203, SC #222, and SC #238 | Co-Author of SC#191
Founder of Spiritus | Three-Time Delegate of Osiris | Pharaoh of the Islamic Republics of Iran | Hero of Greece
<Koth - 06/30/2020> I mean as far as GPers go, Tim is one of the most iconic

Crushing Our Enemies
Ambassador

Corporate Police State

Postby Crushing Our Enemies » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:16 pm

I reached out to FRA in April, and was told that it probably wasn't gonna happen that year because the FRA was inactive. Haven't heard anything from anyone since then. I guess I can't speak for the rest of the council though.
Last edited by Crushing Our Enemies on Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[violet] wrote:Congratulations to Crushing Our Enemies for making the first ever purchase. :)

Tramiar
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 30, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Tramiar » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:20 pm

Tim-Opolis wrote:A continued lack of reply or cooperation from TBH on the matter seems to have led to this. It's obviously not going to be re-considered because TBH decided to start existing a few weeks ago, when they spent months being more stale than an Imperialist's rhetoric. (and don't get me wrong, I <3 TBH)

I dunno who anyone tried to contact, but I don't imagine it wouldn't have gotten a reply if any messages were sent to the correct people. We haven't been dead, after all. I'm curious as to who you're claiming didn't reply. We've been around. Also, just because you weren't invited to the party doesn't mean it wasn't happening.

In any case, I'd believe "at the time" would be now, rather than months ago, so.... ""The first place contestant's region is also given the privilege of hosting the FRAVision Song Contest on their forum the next year, on the condition that they have the infrastructure and activity necessary to organize it at that time."???
Mallorea and Riva wrote:I too would ban myself if I saw me moving into my region.

Tramiar: *causes great injustices to natives and fenda-kind*
Spartzy: *prevents great injustices*
Tramiar: too late, they were already caused.
Spartzy: *stops great injustices*
Tramiar: *causes greater injustices, cannot be fixed until next update*
Spartzy: *quits the game*

Jakker
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Jakker » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:21 pm

Tim-Opolis wrote:
Cormac A Stark wrote:That is the lamest excuse I've ever heard. TBH has a forum and is more active than most of your member regions. :P

Are you done recycling 5-year old rhetoric that isn't accurate? :roll:

Regarding TBH, to my knowledge, attempts to coordinate the event with them were made repeatedly (let's remember that Eurovision happens in Spring, so it's been a while). A continued lack of reply or cooperation from TBH on the matter seems to have led to this. It's obviously not going to be re-considered because TBH decided to start existing a few weeks ago, when they spent months being more stale than an Imperialist's rhetoric. (and don't get me wrong, I <3 TBH)

It feels like my heart just got raided by Tim and refounded after weeks of ejecting my veins outward turning them in arteries with the WFE, "Where Jakker's heart once was."
One Stop Rules Shop
Getting Help Request (GHR)

The Bruce wrote:Mostly I feel sorry for [raiders], because they put in all this effort and at the end of the day have nothing to show for it and have created nothing.

Crushing Our Enemies
Ambassador

Corporate Police State

Postby Crushing Our Enemies » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:28 pm

So far every General in TBH has commented in this thread, so unless you sent Red Back a telegram or something, like a crazy person, those repeated attempts to coordinate with us don't seem to have ever happened. I think one of two things happened here:
1. You decided that TBH was too inactive to host without asking us, and decided to forge ahead on your own, thinking we wouldn't notice. This is the charitable interpretation.

2. You decided that FRAvision would be hosted by raiders over your dead bodies, and decided to use our relative inactivity as an excuse to break the rules and not let us host.

Either way, the top brass hasn't heard anything about FRAvision since April 11, when Dyr told me that no one had really been talking about it in the FRA, and they'd been procrastinating on setting a date for the event. I told him that I was willing to made whatever administrative accommodations were necessary, such as new maskings and additional public subforums, and asked him to let the event leadership know they could coordinate with me. I never heard from anyone.

Tano
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Tano » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:04 pm

Not gonna lie, I thought some TBH guy had quadruple-posted just now :unsure:

And yey FRAvision!
Tano Holland
Govindia: Do you consider me a friend, or just an acquaintance or what?
hobbes: I don't particularly consider anyone a true 'friend'
hobbes: at least,not on NS
Govindia: why is that?
hobbes: because
hobbes: everyone here is a jackass
hobbes: myself included

Pixie: *heart sploosh*
Tano: if your heart is splooshing you should contact a doctor
Tano: hearts are supposed to thump not sploosh
Pixie: No this is normal
Pixie: intense emotion causes me to hemorrage internally
Pixie: my life is like a really depressing comedic episode of The X-Files

Khron: we need an achievment of rem's face just for Tano
Pixie: haha
Pixie: "be Tano"

Brunhilde: My quotes should be in more signatures.

Also known as Takane or Terisclu

Tramiar
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Tramiar » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:12 pm

Tano wrote:Not gonna lie, I thought some TBH guy had quadruple-posted just now :unsure:

Gotta make up for lost time. And apparently be more visible for Tim.
Mallorea and Riva wrote:I too would ban myself if I saw me moving into my region.

Funkadelia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 14, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Funkadelia » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:24 pm

Well, TBH has an equal chance of winning again this year, so they could host in 2015 if they're good enough.
Funkadelia

Former Delegate of Lazarus (x3)
Proscribed TWICE by The South Pacific

WA Security Council Resolution Author (x2)
SC#161
SC#182

Tramiar
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Tramiar » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:29 pm

Funkadelia wrote:Well, TBH has an equal chance of winning again this year, so they could host in 2015 if they're good enough.

That doesn't matter. Why should we have to win twice to get what we're supposed to after one win?

Crushing Our Enemies
Ambassador

Corporate Police State

Postby Crushing Our Enemies » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:48 pm

Funkadelia wrote:Well, TBH has an equal chance of winning again this year, so they could host in 2015 if they're good enough.

There's no reassurance that the same thing wouldn't happen again. Or to anyone who wins that isn't approved by the FRA leadership.

Funkadelia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 14, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Funkadelia » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:50 pm

Crushing Our Enemies wrote:

There's no reassurance that the same thing wouldn't happen again. Or to anyone who wins that isn't approved by the FRA leadership.

I think if there was a disapproval of TBH's hosting by the FRA leadership then you wouldn't have won in the first place.

The accusation is cute though.
Funkadelia

Former Delegate of Lazarus (x3)
Proscribed TWICE by The South Pacific

WA Security Council Resolution Author (x2)
SC#161
SC#182

Crushing Our Enemies
Ambassador

Corporate Police State

Postby Crushing Our Enemies » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:52 pm

The FRA leadership aren't the only ones who vote, nor do I think they would actually base their vote on who they want to host. Rather, I think they probably vote based on who they think submitted the best entry.

But I don't think necessarily that would stop them from deciding not to let the winner host. It apparently hasn't.

TBH Commander
Political Columnist

Founded: May 27, 2007
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby TBH Commander » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:46 pm

I can confirm I have had no correspondence from anyone about the FRAvision 2014 either in my in game messenger or my account at THE FRA forum.

Aperi
Attaché

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Aperi » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:50 pm

Topic Title: N**** Ain't Worried About Nothin' (Title to ne NS-ozed) by French Montana

Name of Candidate: Aperi
Inspiration/Description of entry: IC adaptation of NSGP politics
Entry: (link to video, song or posting of lyrics) original or mine?
Why should you win? It'll be amazing, promise -

Cormac is pulling out because he plans to rage quit for once again fornication Osiris over with nonsense.
Last edited by Aperi on Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aperi
Patriot of Lazarus
Comrade Protector

My other nation is Karpathos
“Our game is being turned into a filthy and evil-smelling imperialist barrack.

Black Mekhet
Attaché

Founded: Jan 13, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Black Mekhet » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:33 am

Kogvuron wrote:
Crushing Our Enemies wrote:Yes we did, and yes we should :eyebrow:

I am disappointed in you Kog, and everyone else in the FRA *glares at Joe Bobs*

I know you defenders have been very inactive lately and haven't noticed, but The Black Hawks are back and well, did you not notice what happened to Canada?

All this is, is just to basically say "fuck off" to raiders. That is very disappointing, but not as disappointing as Funkadelia's posts in this thread. Don't be like Funk, be better than this FRA.

Tim-Opolis wrote:It's obviously not going to be re-considered because TBH decided to start existing a few weeks ago, when they spent months being more stale than an Imperialist's rhetoric. (and don't get me wrong, I <3 TBH)

Oh Tim, have you not noticed how stale defending is? Even with inactivity for a while TBH have been less stale. You know better.
Last edited by Black Mekhet on Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mekhet of The Black Hawks.

I only represent Mek.

Karpathos
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Karpathos » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:20 am

Black Mekhet wrote:
Kogvuron wrote:I think this clause probably applies

I am disappointed in you Kog, and everyone else in the FRA *glares at Joe Bobs*

I know you defenders have been very inactive lately and haven't noticed, but The Black Hawks are back and well, did you not notice what happened to Canada?

All this is, is just to basically say "fuck off" to raiders. That is very disappointing, but not as disappointing as Funkadelia's posts in this thread. Don't be like Funk, be better than this FRA.

Tim-Opolis wrote:It's obviously not going to be re-considered because TBH decided to start existing a few weeks ago, when they spent months being more stale than an Imperialist's rhetoric. (and don't get me wrong, I <3 TBH)

Oh Tim, have you not noticed how stale defending is? Even with inactivity for a while TBH have been less stale. You know better.

Bold mine.

It's​a​bout time.
Honor Guard to Black adder's cunning plan
The Emmanuel Goldstein of Osiris
Veteran of The Great Patriotic War & the ADN proxy wars
Last Native of Greece
Foremer RLA Red Guard
Former head if he USSR KGB
Forner member of SECO
Froner Lt. in The DEN
[spoiler]So long as there is imperialism in the world, a permanent peace is impossible.
[/spoiler]
Aperi is Aperi.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Gameplay