NATION

PASSWORD

Repeal "Commend The Featured Region Followers

A chamber dedicated to the dissemination of inter-regional peace and goodwill, via force if necessary.
Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Repeal "Commend The Featured Region Followers

Postby Sacara » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:24 pm

Description: World Assembly,

NOTING that the region, "The Featured Region Followers", was commended for spreading good faith through the gameplay community,

ACKNOWLEDGING that the region completed its task for a large amount of time,

FURTHER NOTING that the region fulfilled its expectations, and exceeded at them in the past,

STILL CONDONES what the region did in the past, as it stayed neutral in all wars, brought the gameplay community joy,

NOTING NOW that the region is inactive and no longer fulfills its commendation,

BECAUSE of this inactiveness, and no longer fulfilling its duties,

HEREBY REPEALS WASC Resolution #93, "Commend The Featured Region Followers".

This is my first proposal, feedback is welcomed.
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Milograd
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Milograd » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:26 pm

good writing for a first try, you have promise and i hope you'll keep writing

probably not going to pass though because of nuanced rivalries that you'll only be able to learn through a month or two of experience here
Retired

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:28 pm

Milograd wrote:good writing for a first try, you have promise and i hope you'll keep writing

probably not going to pass though because of nuanced rivalries that you'll only be able to learn through a month or two of experience here

Hmmm... I have been spectating the SC for awhile. This is my first so I don't expect it to pass. :P

And thank you ;)
Last edited by Sacara on Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

DWAsnia
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby DWAsnia » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:32 pm

Just because a region has fallen from prominence doesn't necessarily mean we should be repeal it commendation. I wasn't around when they were active so I can't say much about them though.
<Acario> it is Drasnia's job to shit in people's cheerios On a self-imposed forum hiatus.

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:33 pm

DWAsnia wrote:Just because a region has fallen from prominence doesn't necessarily mean we should be repeal it commendation. I wasn't around when they were active so I can't say much about them though.

Thank you and Duly Noted.
Commended by SC #382

District XIV
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby District XIV » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:16 am

Why was this submitted within just hours of posting on the forums?

Herby
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 13, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Herby » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:40 am

How about no.

But thanks for spelling "HEREBY" correctly.
-- Ambassador #53. From the nation of Herby. But you can call me Herby.

Herby's doors and windows are ALWAYS locked when she's in the Strangers' Bar (unless she unlocks them for you). And, she has no accelerator, a mock steering wheel, and no gear shifter. So, no joyrides.

The Baskervilles
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 05, 2006
Anarchy

Postby The Baskervilles » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:59 am

Featured Region Following is not a duty, it's a joy. It was a joy. If anyone considers it a duty and a task imposed on us by others, they need to rethink. It's no more a duty or a task than civilian travel for pleasure in RL.

Perhaps it offers a little insight from one perspective if I talk about my experience with featured region following, and why I have given up.

The very short version can be read in my old factbook.

I've done FRF on and off since the time our region was founded, depending on time and inclination. With my nations The Baskervilles and Sindbad the Sailor, it was something I always enjoyed returning to. Travel directed by randomness is a very inspiring way of discovering the diversity of regions and creativity players put into them, and it made possible brief encounters with players with all sorts of varied interests. Our interaction in the featured regions was almost always positive in the past. I've also enjoyed the interaction with various other featured region followers, bringing their own unique style to the group, sometimes even carrying rudimentary storylines from one region into the other, improvising on whatever input the random generator offered us.

For the few regions that weren't interested, I've made attempts to ensure they weren't visited again against their wishes, starting a please don't visit list in my factbook, and asking admin to perhaps consider tags indicating interest/no interest in foreign visitors (idea not implemented). One can't necessarily assume by default that every region wants visitors, even if it's very easy to just ignore them, and I've always wanted to respect the wishes of the other players about their regions having visitors or not.

Whether there's a commendation badge on our region or not doesn't make a big difference, though I found it very lovely of Paffnia to write it, and I hope Paffnia will write more resolutions if possibly so inclined. The game environment in which we try to travel matters. It sure would make a difference, certainly not just to our unique activity, if this were a game which didn't actively foster a climate of default distrust between its players.

I have stopped featured region following and have given up on my two FRF nations because:

1. Climate of distrust. The invaders' actions have caused players to be more and more suspicious of strange nations arriving to their regions, especially several nations arriving at once. I don't play to make others feel threatened.
2. Various attempts against our group's reputation. People have self-identified their nations staying in and coming to FRF as belonging to invader players, and as members of regions that invade, trying to drag down our reputation as a non-aggressive group one can trust to welcome in one's featured region. If you read through our region's RMB, it's all there.
3. Deliberate targeting of featured regions by many different invader groups to 'advertise' on The World page how they act towards other players. 'Congratulations on being featured. Your delegate controls are on. Let's see if your WFE still looks the same in a few hours' – I'm not doing that. I don't play to try to make other players feel upset.
4. Diversity of regions has decreased. What's the point of travelling to colonies or tagged regions.

Our region's purpose is perhaps unique. The consequences that have affected featured region travel are not unique at all. Same goes, as another example, for the practice of exchanging ambassador nations, when players have used ambassador nations to invade. Same goes for simply allowing nations to join one's region, when it is technically vulnerable, or one has to consider it may become so in the future because of RL chance events. Invasions and threats of invasions cause default distrust. Default distrust hinders non-aggressive player interaction. Featured Region Following is just one among the many activities thrown under the bus.
Last edited by The Baskervilles on Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Hound of the Baskervilles – is it a nation
by any stretch of the imagination?

The Featured Region Followers Join us. Be a nomad.

Paffnia
Envoy

Founded: Nov 03, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Paffnia » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:58 am

I can't really top what was said above, but let me just point out this:
Sacara wrote:NOTING NOW that the region is inactive and no longer fulfills its commendation,

BECAUSE of this inactiveness, and no longer fulfilling its duties,

This is literally the only argument you have for repeal, and it's wrong. The region is still most certainly active. Their small handful of membership may not get to every region every day, but, in my experience over the recent past, chances are better than not that a member of TFRF will be there. The whole "they've CTE'd, let's repeal their commendation!" argument is dubious at best, but even you accept it as legitimate, it doesn't even apply here.

If this is your first proposal (as, incidentally, SC #93 was my own), I applaud your initiative, but advise you to look elsewhere with your proposal-writing. TFRF is one of the true near-universally appreciated regions of NS, and their commendation was the most successful ever passed, in terms of vote percentage (and may still be--haven't checked).
Former Delegate of 10000 Islands
Knight of TITO

WA Ambassador: Joakim Metyhap
Paffniac Factbook
Author, SC #93: Commend The Featured Region Followers, Issue #1479: Fares Fair?
Commended by SC #276

Sichuan Pepper
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Sichuan Pepper » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:12 am

I am very much against a repeal of Commend The Featured Region Followers. It says a lot about this game that one of the few harmless and friendly regions to venture out and pay visits to mark the occasion of being featured region is being hindered by what is becoming a toxic playground. The commend was well and truly earned and should visits cease altogether it is largely due to forces the players have no control over.
Heck now I want to commend them twice.
Wordy, EX-TITO Field Commander.
Now just ornamental.

Mallorea and Riva wrote:Yeah but no one here can read. Literacy is a tool used by fendas, like IRC or morals.

Tano
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Tano » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:30 am

Pretty good for a first draft, but I echo what others have already said: pick a better target :P

While I admittedly have had almost no interaction with FRF, from an outside standpoint they've always seemed like friendly, awesome people just trying to spread some of that goodwill.

Keet at it though, find a new target, and don't let us discourage you ;)
Tano Holland
Govindia: Do you consider me a friend, or just an acquaintance or what?
hobbes: I don't particularly consider anyone a true 'friend'
hobbes: at least,not on NS
Govindia: why is that?
hobbes: because
hobbes: everyone here is a jackass
hobbes: myself included

Pixie: *heart sploosh*
Tano: if your heart is splooshing you should contact a doctor
Tano: hearts are supposed to thump not sploosh
Pixie: No this is normal
Pixie: intense emotion causes me to hemorrage internally
Pixie: my life is like a really depressing comedic episode of The X-Files

Khron: we need an achievment of rem's face just for Tano
Pixie: haha
Pixie: "be Tano"

Brunhilde: My quotes should be in more signatures.

Also known as Takane or Terisclu

Sacara
Ambassador

Postby Sacara » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:46 am

Thank you for the support. :) I will cut this, and wait for it to die out in the proposals.
Commended by SC #382

Crazy girl
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Mother Knows Best State

Postby Crazy girl » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:56 am

Deleted for rule 4 violations.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Security Council