NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Individual Working Freedoms II

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Louisistan
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 10, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Louisistan » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:50 am

Roland Schulz looks up from his desk, clearly bored. "Great, another one of thos working we.... oh, wait. This means no more of those? Yeah, allright, for, whatever."
Knight of TITO

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:09 am

We'll approve this.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Gruenberg
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Gruenberg » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:49 pm

Any tweaks on the wording needed? I've softened a couple of the clauses as I remember last time around there was considerable concern that I was forcing a "libertarian" resolution on everyone (somewhat unlikely from the pen of Lori Jiffjeff), but I haven't changed the main clauses - but am happy to do so.

Also, does anyone spot any legality issues? I've been reminded before that just because a proposal cleared the mods one time doesn't mean it will do so again, so I'd rather avoid having any questions of that sort arise.
"Do you mean "coming out"...as a Guardian reader would understand the term?"

The Eternal Kawaii
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 21, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Eternal Kawaii » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:59 pm

In the Name of the Eternal Kawaii, may the Cute One be praised

We can support this proposal. The Diaspora Church does not concern itself with the conduct of petty material matters such as deciding the working hours of a business, and we see no reason the WA should intrude in such matters as well.
Learn More about The Eternal Kawaii from our Factbook!

"Aside from being illegal, it's not like Max Barry Day was that bad of a resolution." -- Glen Rhodes
"as a member of the GA elite, I don't have to take this" -- Vancouvia

Hirota
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Hirota » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:28 pm

My government is choosing to support this proposal. My government is uncomfortable with the practice of blockers and generally considers them to be encouraging stagnation, and we would have preferred to see a draft proposal on working times that targeted only longer working hours of 50 hours or upwards, but we appreciate that is a failure of the authors of those proposals rather than a reflection upon this proposal.

OOC: I do hope Macwick appreciates how thoroughly they shot themselves in the foot thanks to their unwillingness to take a pragmatic approach.
Last edited by Hirota on Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger - Confucius
Known to trigger Grammar Nazis, Spelling Nazis, Actual Nazis, the emotionally stunted and pedants.
Those affected by the views, opinions or general demeanour of this poster should review this puppy picture. Those affected by puppy pictures should consider investing in an isolation tank.

Economic Left/Right: -3.25, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.03
Isn't it curious how people will claim they are against tribalism, then pigeonhole themselves into tribes?

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
I use obviously in italics to emphasise the conveying of sarcasm. If I've put excessive obviously's into a post that means I'm being sarcastic

Chester Pearson
Minister

Founded: Aug 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Chester Pearson » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:02 pm

Man....

As much as it pains me, I will have to support this endeavor. Why did it have to be Gruen that wrote it? >:(
Separatist Peoples wrote:With a lawnchair and a large bag of popcorn in hand, Ambassador SaDiablo walks in and sets himself up comfortably. Out of a dufflebag comes a large foam finger with the name "Chester Pearson" emblazoned on it, as well as a few six-packs.
Economic Left/Right: -8.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.90
-17.5 / -6
Chester B. Pearson,
Ambassador, Imperial Minster of Foreign Affairs United Federation of Canada
Premier The North American Union
Secretary-General United Regions Alliance
World Assembly Resolution Author
Recognized as one of the most famous NS's ever

Macwick
Attaché

Founded: Sep 14, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Macwick » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:31 am

It will not surprise colleagues to know that my government is opposed to this. However it has been stated that there are two clauses that do things.

One says nations cannot have working time regulations that unfairly remove decision-making power from the individual level.

While the other says nations can have working time regulations in the general interest. I don’t see how the second can ever apply.

This seems to me to be a way to remove the working time regulations that many nations already enjoy. There could be regulations that state there is a maximum number of hours that can be included in an employment contract as we have. There could be regulations about the minimum wages to be paid that we have. There could be regulations about the minimum rates for overtime based on the normal time rate, such as Hakio has. If this proposal passes I cannot see how these regulations can be justified. I cannot see how my government can make employment contracts of 80 hours a week illegal.
Tancred Lionheart

Gruenberg
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Gruenberg » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:04 am

Macwick wrote:One says nations cannot have working time regulations that unfairly remove decision-making power from the individual level.
If this proposal passes I cannot see how these regulations can be justified.

The qualifier "unfairly" is intended to allow each nation latitude in determining whether those restrictions are legal or not. If your nation believes that removing the ability of individuals to sign a contract committing them to excessive hours of work is fair, then the restriction is legal.

Nonetheless, seeing as there is so much confusion on this point I think it's easier to just edit the proposal.
Mandates the removal of working time regulations that serve only to reduce individual liberty and that do not serve any other purpose;

Chester Pearson
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Chester Pearson » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:25 am

Just go ahead an submit this. It is not going to get any better, and you have overwhelming support....
Separatist Peoples wrote:With a lawnchair and a large bag of popcorn in hand, Ambassador SaDiablo walks in and sets himself up comfortably. Out of a dufflebag comes a large foam finger with the name "Chester Pearson" emblazoned on it, as well as a few six-packs.
-17.5 / -6
Chester B. Pearson,

Macwick
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Macwick » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:59 pm

Thank you for amending your proposal. How would you feel about just deleting the whole clause? If you believe it is not the concern of the WA what regulations nations have, why have the clause at all?

You would be left with

Reserves the right of all nations to choose whether to set specific regulations on workweeks and working time in the general public interest;
Endorses policies aimed at delegating decisions concerning working time regulations to the most local level possible;

These together leave each nation to decide themselves without any enforcement from the WA one way or the other. It would still block any future moves to impose working time regulations by the WA.
Tancred Lionheart

Gruenberg
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Gruenberg » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:07 pm

Macwick wrote:Thank you for amending your proposal. How would you feel about just deleting the whole clause? If you believe it is not the concern of the WA what regulations nations have, why have the clause at all?

You would be left with

Reserves the right of all nations to choose whether to set specific regulations on workweeks and working time in the general public interest;
Endorses policies aimed at delegating decisions concerning working time regulations to the most local level possible;

These together leave each nation to decide themselves without any enforcement from the WA one way or the other. It would still block any future moves to impose working time regulations by the WA.

I think I'd then be running the risk of making the proposal illegal. Every resolution has to have some effect so as to match the category. So while I'm happy to soften the language further, I can't complete remove all reference to "enforcement from the WA one way or the other", as the proposal would then no longer be legal.

Iron Felix
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 15, 2006
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Iron Felix » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:15 pm

Comrade, it is fine as it is written. I have examined it several times.

Felix Edmundovich Dzerzhinsky
Chairman, Yeldan Committee for State Security
Vanguard of the Yeldan Worker's Revolution

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:24 am

Iron Felix wrote:Comrade, it is fine as it is written. I have examined it several times.

While I'm too busy to support that statement 100%, I can definitely advice against making any changes suggested by the Macwickian ambassador. They've proven themselves incapable of being reasoned with.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Bananaistan
Senator

Founded: Apr 20, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bananaistan » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:43 am

We are ideologically opposed to the principle that the individual is paramount in all this. Each individual employee have responsibilities to the group of employees as a whole, to their employer, to the local and national economy, to national society and to international society. The same applies to each individual employer. We are trying to build and maintain a society, not a collection of individuals.

Whereas this legislation would wreck our collective bargaining system on which all our economic success is based. The organisations representing employers, the unions, the government, and any other relevant lobby or representative groups meet every five years and set out the plan for the next five years. Working time regulations have always been sorted out by this group and then given the force of law by the legislature which has never yet disagreed with the recommendations. It's a fantastic way of building consensus.

Yet, given the current wording of clause 3, we don't see that any part of our system would now be disallowed. We don't like the preamble but we are rather meh about the operative clauses. Therefore, we will neither support nor object to the proposal.
Delegation of the People's Republic of Bananaistan to the World Assembly
Head of delegation and the Permanent Representative: Comrade Ambassador Theodorus "Ted" Hornwood
General Assistant and Head of Security: Comrade Watchman Brian of Tarth
There was the Pope and John F. Kennedy and Jack Charlton and the three of them were staring me in the face.
Ideological Bulwark #281
THIS

Tsarist Chernigov
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 27, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Tsarist Chernigov » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:29 am

I agree with what you put in.
Defcon 1 [2]3 4 5

Full Member of the International Space Agency
Proud member of the Christian Liberty Alliance
★Proud Member of the United Monarchist Alliance★
I may use Kinetic strike weapons from time to time.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:42 pm

Tsarist Chernigov wrote:I agree with what you put in.

What who put in?

EDIT: Gruen, the text looks good to me. Go for it. :)
Last edited by Araraukar on Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2005

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:25 pm

Take the "II" out when you submit. No reason to make others pointlessly wonder why it's there once this goes primetime.

I'm so looking forward to telling all the workweek people to shut the hell up once this passes. Get on with it already.
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

Gruenberg
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Gruenberg » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:38 pm

Once our Overseas Affiliate Territory has the requisite political capital, we'll submit this, title changed, but until then any last changes can still be made.

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011

Postby Separatist Peoples » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:30 am

Omigodtheykilledkenny wrote:Take the "II" out when you submit. No reason to make others pointlessly wonder why it's there once this goes primetime.

I'm so looking forward to telling all the workweek people to shut the hell up once this passes. Get on with it already.

"You took the words right out of my mouth."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Frustrated Franciscans
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 01, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Frustrated Franciscans » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:02 pm

Gruenberg wrote:Any tweaks on the wording needed? I've softened a couple of the clauses as I remember last time around there was considerable concern that I was forcing a "libertarian" resolution on everyone (somewhat unlikely from the pen of Lori Jiffjeff), but I haven't changed the main clauses - but am happy to do so.

I see a couple of wording problems. In literally no particular order, they are ...

Mandates the removal of working time regulations that serve only to reduce individual liberty and that do not serve any other purpose;

I'm not sure if the red text is a restriction or a commentary. If it is the later, it's too vague to give the clause effect. (Almost every working time regulation has *some* excuse.) If it is commentary it does eliminate some necessary regulations for safety reasons such as times truck drivers can drive continually without a break.

Do we really need a federalism clause in here? It might result in a derailment as people argue about national vs federal government structures.
Proud Member of the Tzorsland Puppet Federation

Macwick
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Macwick » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:43 pm

Thank you Gruenberg for your answer. I am getting to quite like

I wonder if you could clarify a couple of clauses in your proposal -

Do you believe that “reserves” and “endorses” are such that if your proposal was passed no future proposal to regulate workweeks and working time could be passed?
Tancred Lionheart

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:10 pm

Macwick wrote:...if your proposal was passed no future proposal to regulate workweeks and working time could be passed?

That has more or less explicitly been the intention of this from the start, no? It was stated up front that this resolution is a response to some prospective resolutions that proposed using a dull hatchet to perform brain surgery. Now, to protect themselves, everyone's looking into buying helmets that won't come off without a serious, serious effort, even if they're approached tomorrow by an accomplished neurosurgeon with micro-robotic tools, an electron microscope, and guaranteed success. Congratulations, ambassador - you've managed to destroy any goodwill your cause might have had. Insisting (by way of "No, I'm right, you just don't understand!") on using a battering ram to unlock a glass cabinet tends to have that effect.
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Chester Pearson
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Chester Pearson » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:07 pm

Macwick wrote:...if your proposal was passed no future proposal to regulate workweeks and working time could be passed?

Henceforth the term blocker....
-17.5 / -6
Chester B. Pearson,

Gruenberg
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Gruenberg » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:36 am

Frustrated Franciscans wrote:I'm not sure if the red text is a restriction or a commentary. If it is the later, it's too vague to give the clause effect. (Almost every working time regulation has *some* excuse.)

Yes, I'm aware this clause has a very big loophole. That's deliberate. It wouldn't be much of a blocker if it took a sharply anti-sovereigntist line.
Frustrated Franciscans wrote:Endorses policies aimed at delegating decisions concerning working time regulations to the most local level possible;

I'm inclined to agree, though I'd call it subsidiarist rather than federalist. I don't think the clause is needed, though, to meet the category requirements.
Macwick wrote:I wonder if you could clarify a couple of clauses in your proposal -

Do you believe that “reserves” and “endorses” are such that if your proposal was passed no future proposal to regulate workweeks and working time could be passed?

That's the intention. I can't say whether that will actually be the effect. National Economic Freedoms was a "blocker" resolution, but it was totally neutered by a moderator ruling. Something similar could happen to this proposal, and I would obviously be powerless to stop that. All I can say is that in my interpretation and the interpretation previously adopted the last time this passed, it would block most proposals to regulate working time.
Bananaistan wrote:Yet, given the current wording of clause 3, we don't see that any part of our system would now be disallowed.

It wouldn't. Collective bargaining was brought up last time (by Ardchoille, as a player) and despite the rhetoric of the proposal, the actual effect wouldn't prohibit working time arrangements being negotiated collectively rather than by individuals.
Chester Pearson wrote:Just go ahead an submit this. It is not going to get any better, and you have overwhelming support....

Ha, well, thanks! I don't actually think this has a chance of passing, but it will be submitted nonetheless. I'm going to wait till Monday though as I dislike submitting over the weekend.

Applebania
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 17, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Applebania » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:36 am

OOC: Meh. I don't particularly like blockers, but I'll support this.
AKA Karlsefni
Citizen of the Rejected Realms
Sergeant of the Rejected Realms Army

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives