NATION

PASSWORD

Is calling someone African American racist?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
Bluth Corporation
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6849
Founded: Apr 15, 2008
Ex-Nation

Re: Is calling someone African American racist?

Postby Bluth Corporation » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:21 pm

The Cat-Tribe wrote:Um. Just because (in bizarre theory) one can be unaware of a word's meaning, doesn't make that word meaningless.


I never said it did.

But you've shown a bad habit--first with Intangelon earlier in this thread and just now with me--of pretending people said something other than what they actually did say.
The Huge Mistake of Bluth Corporation
Capital: Newport Beach, Shostakovich | Starting Quarterback: Peyton Manning #18 | Company President: Michael Bluth

Champions of: World Bowl X


You should really be using Slackware

User avatar
The Cat-Tribe
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5548
Founded: Jan 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Re: Is calling someone African American racist?

Postby The Cat-Tribe » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:23 pm

Bluth Corporation wrote:
The Cat-Tribe wrote:Um. Just because (in bizarre theory) one can be unaware of a word's meaning, doesn't make that word meaningless.


I never said it did.

But you've shown a bad habit--first with Intangelon earlier in this thread and just now with me--of pretending people said something other than what they actually did say.


I'm sorry. I mistook you for the person that said this:

Bluth Corporation wrote:
Spredronia wrote:<CENSORED>=SO RACIST I WILL CHOP YOUR HEAD OFF IF YOU SAY IT!!!


No, it's not. It's just a word.

An attitude is racist. A word is not. Using a word does not necessarily imply a certain attitude.


Are now agreeing with me that the word "nigger" has a racist meaning -- independent of the user's knowledge thereof?

Or, in thinking you won't agree, am I pretending you've taken a position you haven't?
Last edited by The Cat-Tribe on Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I quit (again).
The Altani Confederacy wrote:
The Cat-Tribe wrote:With that, I am done with these shenanigans. Do as thou wilt.

Can't miss you until you're gone, Ambassador. Seriously, your delegation is like one of those stores that has a "Going Out Of Business" sale for twenty years. Stay or go, already.*snip*
"Don't give me no shit because . . . I've been Tired . . ." ~ Pixies
With that, "he put his boots on, he took a face from the Ancient Gallery, and he walked on down the Hall . . ."

User avatar
Bluth Corporation
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6849
Founded: Apr 15, 2008
Ex-Nation

Re: Is calling someone African American racist?

Postby Bluth Corporation » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:31 pm

The Cat-Tribe wrote:
Are now agreeing with me that the word "nigger" has a racist meaning

Of course not--because it doesn't. It has a meaning, to be sure, but not an inherently racist one--that only exists when used in a certain context with a certain intent.

You're making a classic bait-and-switch argument: First you claim that I said "nigger" has no meaning, then when I point out that I said no such thing, in your response you sneakily add the modifier "racist" before "meaning" and act like that was in your initial claim when anyone can see it wasn't.
Last edited by Bluth Corporation on Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Huge Mistake of Bluth Corporation
Capital: Newport Beach, Shostakovich | Starting Quarterback: Peyton Manning #18 | Company President: Michael Bluth

Champions of: World Bowl X


You should really be using Slackware

User avatar
The Cat-Tribe
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5548
Founded: Jan 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Re: Is calling someone African American racist?

Postby The Cat-Tribe » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:38 pm

Bluth Corporation wrote:
The Cat-Tribe wrote:
Are now agreeing with me that the word "nigger" has a racist meaning

Of course not--because it doesn't. It has a meaning, to be sure, but not an inherently racist one--that only exists when used in a certain context with a certain intent.

You're making a classic bait-and-switch argument: First you claim that I said "nigger" has no meaning, then when I point out that I said no such thing, in your response you sneakily add the modifier "racist" before "meaning" and act like that was in your initial claim when anyone can see it wasn't.


Forgive me for trying to follow your twisted "logic." You claimed the word could have no meaning to someone that had not heard it and that that person could innocently believe the word meant simply "black people."

Either the word has an inherent meaning or it doesn't. Pick a side.

But, pray tell, explain to us again why the dictionaries are wrong and there is nothing inherently racist in the term "nigger."

Is there anything inherently objectionable in the term "Randroid"? How about "mother-fucker"?
I quit (again).
The Altani Confederacy wrote:
The Cat-Tribe wrote:With that, I am done with these shenanigans. Do as thou wilt.

Can't miss you until you're gone, Ambassador. Seriously, your delegation is like one of those stores that has a "Going Out Of Business" sale for twenty years. Stay or go, already.*snip*
"Don't give me no shit because . . . I've been Tired . . ." ~ Pixies
With that, "he put his boots on, he took a face from the Ancient Gallery, and he walked on down the Hall . . ."

User avatar
New Limacon
Diplomat
 
Posts: 618
Founded: Apr 14, 2007
Ex-Nation

Re: Is calling someone African American racist?

Postby New Limacon » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:41 pm

Bottle wrote:I certainly agree that it is crummy to basically consider white people to be "regular" Americans, and then anybody else has to be a special kind of American (African-American, Latino-American, etc).

But I also think that racism and racial issues still exist and it's stupid to pretend they don't. Being black in America still means that a whole fuckton of things will be different for you than they would if you were white. I don't think progress is best served by closing your eyes and pretending those differences don't exist.

Agreed. It irritated me in November when there were a slew of articles about how the US was now "post-racial" because Barack Obama was elected. Of course it isn't post-racial. Admitting that isn't the same as condoning it.
And actually, I know plenty of people who consider themselves Polish-American, or German-American, or Italian-American, etc. It doesn't carry the same importance, of course, but identifying as a "hyphenated-American" is not exclusive to those with ancestor from Africa.
"It is a far, far better thing to have an anchor in nonsense than to push out to the troubled seas of thought."
Gnomeragen wrote:i wasn't argueing over your realigon i was pronocing your stupidity

New Limacon's Watermark of Quality

User avatar
Bluth Corporation
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6849
Founded: Apr 15, 2008
Ex-Nation

Re: Is calling someone African American racist?

Postby Bluth Corporation » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:45 pm

The Cat-Tribe wrote:Forgive me for trying to follow your twisted "logic." You claimed the word could have no meaning to someone that had not heard it and that that person could innocently believe the word meant simply "black people."

No, I claimed it had no racist meaning to that person. Again, pretending I said something I didn't.

Either the word has an inherent meaning or it doesn't. Pick a side.

Words never have an inherent meaning, nor have I ever claimed they do. Words have meanings, certainly--but those meanings are entirely a function of the intent of the speaker.

But, pray tell, explain to us again why the dictionaries are wrong and there is nothing inherently racist in the term "nigger."

Because it's absurd to say that someone who calls someone a "nigger" who is completely unaware of any racist connotations and is using it with a perfectly innocent intent is making a "racist remark."

I don't deny that someone unfamiliar with the speaker's background may interpret it as a racist remark that situation--but such interpretations are wrong, because there is no racism without racist intent.
Last edited by Bluth Corporation on Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Huge Mistake of Bluth Corporation
Capital: Newport Beach, Shostakovich | Starting Quarterback: Peyton Manning #18 | Company President: Michael Bluth

Champions of: World Bowl X


You should really be using Slackware

User avatar
Robarya
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1271
Founded: May 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Is calling someone African American racist?

Postby Robarya » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:46 pm

EvilDarkMagicians wrote:Whenever I hear this phrase..I laugh. A black person here would never be called African British...it just sounds silly. By pointing out this Africanism in someone...does that make it racist or not what is your views?


I don't even think a hardline politically correct douchebag considers the term "African American" racist.

Personally, I usually tend to use the terms "Black" and "Negro," when referring to a person of African origin.

User avatar
The Cat-Tribe
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5548
Founded: Jan 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Re: Is calling someone African American racist?

Postby The Cat-Tribe » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:55 pm

Bluth Corporation wrote:
The Cat-Tribe wrote:Forgive me for trying to follow your twisted "logic." You claimed the word could have no meaning to someone that had not heard it and that that person could innocently believe the word meant simply "black people."

No, I claimed it had no racist meaning to that person. Again, pretending I said something I didn't.

Either the word has an inherent meaning or it doesn't. Pick a side.

Words never have an inherent meaning, nor have I ever claimed they do. Words have meanings, certainly--but those meanings are entirely a function of the intent of the speaker.

But, pray tell, explain to us again why the dictionaries are wrong and there is nothing inherently racist in the term "nigger."

Because it's absurd to say that someone who calls someone a "nigger" who is completely unaware of any racist connotations and is using it with a perfectly innocent intent is making a "racist remark."

I don't deny that someone unfamiliar with the speaker's background may interpret it as a racist remark that situation--but such interpretations are wrong, because there is no racism without racist intent.


1. No racist meaning to the person that doesn't know it has a racist meaning =/= "no racist meaning"

2. You accuse me of misrepresenting your position by alleging you said a word had no meaning .... and then you say words have no inherent meanings. I guess dictionaries are just nonsense. :palm:

3. Now you are moving the goalposts. Did I say that anyone that uses the word "nigger" must have a racist intent? No. I just said the word has a racist meaning. That is it's primary meaning. And the theoretical possibility that someone might use the term "nigger" to describe black people without knowing it is prejorative doesn't change the facts that (1) it is prejorative and (2) it is reasonable to assume one using the word knows it is prejorative.

EDIT: This is like Alice's discussion with Humpty Dumpty: "'When I use a word,’ Humpty Dumpty said, in a rather scornful tone, ‘it means just what I choose it to mean, neither more nor less.'"
Last edited by The Cat-Tribe on Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I quit (again).
The Altani Confederacy wrote:
The Cat-Tribe wrote:With that, I am done with these shenanigans. Do as thou wilt.

Can't miss you until you're gone, Ambassador. Seriously, your delegation is like one of those stores that has a "Going Out Of Business" sale for twenty years. Stay or go, already.*snip*
"Don't give me no shit because . . . I've been Tired . . ." ~ Pixies
With that, "he put his boots on, he took a face from the Ancient Gallery, and he walked on down the Hall . . ."

User avatar
Intestinal fluids
Diplomat
 
Posts: 851
Founded: Apr 18, 2006
Ex-Nation

Re: Is calling someone African American racist?

Postby Intestinal fluids » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:02 pm

The benefits of being White : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG4f9zR5yzY

User avatar
Glorious Freedonia
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1866
Founded: Jun 09, 2006
Ex-Nation

Re: Is calling someone African American racist?

Postby Glorious Freedonia » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:14 pm

No Names Left Damn It wrote:I don't consider it racist, just stupid. Why not just call everyone American, instead of dividing and labelling everyone?


We have a winner!

User avatar
Lustie
Civil Servant
 
Posts: 7
Founded: Apr 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Is calling someone African American racist?

Postby Lustie » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:21 pm

No...most Africans came here for better job propects ;)







WOW!





I know this is mean, but i'm not gonna lie.....I laughed.....

User avatar
Pope Joan
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 19503
Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Is calling someone African American racist?

Postby Pope Joan » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:29 pm

Hardly racist, it's the preferred term of address according to the NAACP (I am a former member).

Some of the group in question still prefer "black" but some of them tend to discriminate against African Americans of mixed parentage.
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

User avatar
Daynor
Diplomat
 
Posts: 736
Founded: Dec 25, 2008
Capitalist Paradise

Re: Is calling someone African American racist?

Postby Daynor » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:42 pm

Okay this N-word debate is pointless. Using that word toward someone is bad. But if I'm not misunderstanding his point, he's saying you can use the word without insulting someone, as you yourself have been doing in this entire debate, and therefore it can be used without racist meaning... Like, "I looked up the word nigger in the dictionary." Not racist there... but that's hardly relevant.

The Cat-Tribe wrote:Back on topic ....

Okay. I'm with you on this part.

The Cat Tribe wrote:1. Black Americans do not all have the same skin tone.

Neither do "whites".

The Cat Tribe wrote:2. Some non-blacks have darker skin than some blacks.

Some non-whites have whiter skin than whites.

The Cat Tribe wrote:3. I don't think I've ever met an African-American whose skin was literally black in color. Very, very dark brown. But black? At the very least it is rare.

Ever met a pure white person, that'd probably hurt my eyes.

So, why is "white" okay, and "black" not okay? If yo're saying that both terms are wrong, then I can agree to disagree, as I think both are fine. But, it makes no sense that it is okay to say "white" and not "black".
Last edited by Daynor on Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Young Libertarian Conservative
Political Compass: (2.63,-1.44)
Delegate of the Conservative Coalition
Ambassador Franklin Tanner
ლ(゚д゚ლ)
Daynor

User avatar
Der Teutoniker
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9452
Founded: Jan 09, 2006
Ex-Nation

Re: Is calling someone African American racist?

Postby Der Teutoniker » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:58 pm

The Cat-Tribe wrote:1. No racist meaning to the person that doesn't know it has a racist meaning =/= "no racist meaning".


This comes back to "inherent" meaning. Sure, most people associate racism with the word "nigger" this is not an unalterable "fact" however. Look even at many members of the black community themselves who use the word as a self-labeling, but not in a racist, or offensive manner.

The Cat-Tribe wrote:and then you say words have no inherent meanings. I guess dictionaries are just nonsense. :palm:


Your representation of his viewpoint and your conclusion don't follow. Who said anything about dictionaries? I have a dictionary from the 1800's, in German, you mean to tell me that every single word in that dictionary means exactly the same thing it does today? Look at the word "gay" which has several recent changes in meaning. Pop at one point never meant a beverage, but now it does. Dictionaries attempt to give as many current meanings of a word as is generally applicable, but the words change, frequently. The claim that 'if words have no inherent meanings, then all dictionaries are wrong!' is whimsical, and nonsensical, the conclusion simply doesn't follow.

The Cat-Tribe wrote:3. Now you are moving the goalposts. Did I say that anyone that uses the word "nigger" must have a racist intent? No. I just said the word has a racist meaning. That is it's primary meaning. And the theoretical possibility that someone might use the term "nigger" to describe black people without knowing it is prejorative doesn't change the facts that (1) it is prejorative and (2) it is reasonable to assume one using the word knows it is prejorative.


Has racist meaning to many people. It is not a fact that the word is a pejorative. Many people understand it in a pejorative sense, certainly, but merely because a lot of people find a word racist, does make that fact. Again, citing that many black people themselves use the term, and I doubt that your argument suggests that any black person who has ever called another black person a "nigger" is a black-person-hating-racist, but by following your logic, one would encessarily arrive at that very conclusion.
South Lorenya wrote:occasionally we get someone who has a rap sheet longer than Jormungandr

Austin Setzer wrote:We found a couple of ancient documents, turned them into the bible, and now its the symbol of christianity.

ARM Forces wrote:Strep-throat is an infection in the throat, caused by eating too much refined sugar! Rubbing more sugar directly on it is the worst thing you can possibly do.

Dumb Ideologies wrote:Communism and anarchy; same unachievable end, different impractical means.

User avatar
Wilgrove
Post Czar
 
Posts: 38590
Founded: May 08, 2006
Ex-Nation

Re: Is calling someone African American racist?

Postby Wilgrove » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:01 pm

Eh I find it stupid because it assumes two things. 1. That they were from Africa, and 2. That they are American.

Blacks is so much simpler.

User avatar
Der Teutoniker
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9452
Founded: Jan 09, 2006
Ex-Nation

Re: Is calling someone African American racist?

Postby Der Teutoniker » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:05 pm

Wilgrove wrote:Eh I find it stupid because it assumes two things. 1. That they were from Africa, and 2. That they are American.

Blacks is so much simpler.


Agreed.

Edit: On the other hand, assuming is always the best thing to do. *nod*
Last edited by Der Teutoniker on Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
South Lorenya wrote:occasionally we get someone who has a rap sheet longer than Jormungandr

Austin Setzer wrote:We found a couple of ancient documents, turned them into the bible, and now its the symbol of christianity.

ARM Forces wrote:Strep-throat is an infection in the throat, caused by eating too much refined sugar! Rubbing more sugar directly on it is the worst thing you can possibly do.

Dumb Ideologies wrote:Communism and anarchy; same unachievable end, different impractical means.

User avatar
Almajoya
Minister
 
Posts: 2206
Founded: May 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Is calling someone African American racist?

Postby Almajoya » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:05 pm

I never really understood where the term "black" came from. If you look closely (or far away) at my skin, you will observe that it is not black. Indeed, it is dark brown.

*throws you for a loop*

And yes, I am implying that I am of African descent. But I am actually Jamaican American. And yes, I do know a couple of people in Jamaica. Like my entire family.
Factbook/Getting Started/Roleplaying Tips/Thread Assistance Index/The Mary Sue Test
(Melisma: 17 | Ciaran: 3 | Astaire: 25)

Did you miss me?
08.29.05//01.17.10//85:16:25

User avatar
Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator
 
Posts: 23565
Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Re: Is calling someone African American racist?

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:07 pm

I expected more support for my plan of putting into use the term 'Chocolate American'. I thought everybody liked chocolate. :(
Life's Short. Munch Tacos.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

User avatar
Der Teutoniker
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9452
Founded: Jan 09, 2006
Ex-Nation

Re: Is calling someone African American racist?

Postby Der Teutoniker » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:08 pm

Almajoya wrote:I never really understood where the term "black" came from. If you look closely (or far away) at my skin, you will observe that it is not black. Indeed, it is dark brown.

*throws you for a loop*

And yes, I am implying that I am of African descent. But I am actually Jamaican American. And yes, I do know a couple of people in Jamaica. Like my entire family.


That's fine, but do you get more often referred to as "African American" or "Jamaican American"? Indeed your skin is not "black" such a person would absorb all incoming light rays, and be a big visible hole walking around. However, for common usage, I think that "black" is close enough considering similarly enough, I am not White, nor are Indians red, as Asians are not yellow. These colors are used to describe relative skin-tone differences.
South Lorenya wrote:occasionally we get someone who has a rap sheet longer than Jormungandr

Austin Setzer wrote:We found a couple of ancient documents, turned them into the bible, and now its the symbol of christianity.

ARM Forces wrote:Strep-throat is an infection in the throat, caused by eating too much refined sugar! Rubbing more sugar directly on it is the worst thing you can possibly do.

Dumb Ideologies wrote:Communism and anarchy; same unachievable end, different impractical means.

User avatar
Der Teutoniker
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9452
Founded: Jan 09, 2006
Ex-Nation

Re: Is calling someone African American racist?

Postby Der Teutoniker » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:10 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:I thought everybody liked chocolate. :(


You'd think, right? But I've met some people that don't. Weird, right? Maybe they all banded together and joined NS, and now your idea won't og through because they don't like chocolate.

On the other hand, all of your plans, regardless, have my full support! :hug:
South Lorenya wrote:occasionally we get someone who has a rap sheet longer than Jormungandr

Austin Setzer wrote:We found a couple of ancient documents, turned them into the bible, and now its the symbol of christianity.

ARM Forces wrote:Strep-throat is an infection in the throat, caused by eating too much refined sugar! Rubbing more sugar directly on it is the worst thing you can possibly do.

Dumb Ideologies wrote:Communism and anarchy; same unachievable end, different impractical means.

User avatar
Hairless Kitten II
Senator
 
Posts: 4198
Founded: Jun 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Is calling someone African American racist?

Postby Hairless Kitten II » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:12 pm

African American...

I know they used it, but I would never do. It just sounds 'wrong'.

How do you call American people with Tunisian origins? And not all black people originate from Africa either. There's a small tribe near Sri Lanka with people who look and feel like black people, but genetically spoken are not. How do you call an American that had his origins from that tribe?

And what's wrong about calling black people, black people? They are black people, so? I hate political correctness.

• Vote for The NationStates Razzies 2009
• Any similarities with reality is a mere coincidence
• No mods were harmed during the making of this posting
• Protégez les enfants: ne leur faites pas respirer votre commentaires`
• Quand tous les dégoûtés seront partis, il ne restera plus que les dégoûtants
• Please report me at the Moderation Section because I'm spoiling your day

User avatar
Almajoya
Minister
 
Posts: 2206
Founded: May 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Is calling someone African American racist?

Postby Almajoya » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:14 pm

Der Teutoniker wrote:
Almajoya wrote:I never really understood where the term "black" came from. If you look closely (or far away) at my skin, you will observe that it is not black. Indeed, it is dark brown.

*throws you for a loop*

And yes, I am implying that I am of African descent. But I am actually Jamaican American. And yes, I do know a couple of people in Jamaica. Like my entire family.


That's fine, but do you get more often referred to as "African American" or "Jamaican American"? Indeed your skin is not "black" such a person would absorb all incoming light rays, and be a big visible hole walking around. However, for common usage, I think that "black" is close enough considering similarly enough, I am not White, nor are Indians red, as Asians are not yellow. These colors are used to describe relative skin-tone differences.


I'm usually referred to as AA, because most people aren't aware of the physical differences between a Jamaican and an African. But, having read what Lunatic Goofballs wrote above, I will now use the term "Chocolate American," as I am brown, sugary, and delicious.

User avatar
Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator
 
Posts: 23565
Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Re: Is calling someone African American racist?

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:15 pm

Hairless Kitten II wrote:African American...

I know they used it, but I would never do. It just sounds 'wrong'.

How do you call American people with Tunisian origins? And not all black people originate from Africa either. There's a small tribe near Sri Lanka with people who look and feel like black people, but genetically spoken are not. How do you call an American that had his origins from that tribe?

And what's wrong about calling black people, black people? They are black people, so? I hate political correctness.


First of all, it's not accurate. Second of all, there are some negative historical connotations to 'black'. Now 'chocolate' on the other hand is an accurate color description and has no negative connotations whatsoever.
Life's Short. Munch Tacos.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

User avatar
Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator
 
Posts: 23565
Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Re: Is calling someone African American racist?

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:16 pm

Almajoya wrote:
Der Teutoniker wrote:
Almajoya wrote:I never really understood where the term "black" came from. If you look closely (or far away) at my skin, you will observe that it is not black. Indeed, it is dark brown.

*throws you for a loop*

And yes, I am implying that I am of African descent. But I am actually Jamaican American. And yes, I do know a couple of people in Jamaica. Like my entire family.


That's fine, but do you get more often referred to as "African American" or "Jamaican American"? Indeed your skin is not "black" such a person would absorb all incoming light rays, and be a big visible hole walking around. However, for common usage, I think that "black" is close enough considering similarly enough, I am not White, nor are Indians red, as Asians are not yellow. These colors are used to describe relative skin-tone differences.


I'm usually referred to as AA, because most people aren't aware of the physical differences between a Jamaican and an African. But, having read what Lunatic Goofballs wrote above, I will now use the term "Chocolate American," as I am brown, sugary, and delicious.


Yay! :D
Life's Short. Munch Tacos.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

User avatar
Ascelonia
Diplomat
 
Posts: 503
Founded: Jun 27, 2008
Ex-Nation

Re: Is calling someone African American racist?

Postby Ascelonia » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:21 pm

EvilDarkMagicians wrote:Whenever I hear this phrase..I laugh. A black person here would never be called African British...it just sounds silly. By pointing out this Africanism in someone...does that make it racist or not what is your views?


There are caucasian African Americans.... I don't think it's racist. It's a politically correct term, but I don't see the need to use it excessively.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bread Herbert, Democratic Communist Federation, Duhon, Geneviev, Heloin, His Excellence, Imperium of Dragonia, J4Quantopia, Kombinita Socialisma Demokratio, Kubra, Neanderthaland, New haven america, Scomagia, The Angel of Charity, Uiiop, Valentine Z, Vectrova, Wunderstrafanstalt

Advertisement

Remove ads