NATION

PASSWORD

Computer General Discussion Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Which OS do YOU use?

Windows
75%
Linux/Unix
14%
Mac
9%
OS/2
1%
DOS
1%
Phantom OS
0%
Croquet
1%

Total votes : 878

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Computer General Discussion Thread

Postby Bezombia » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:34 pm

In light of continued semi-off-topic discussion in a slew of sort of related threads, I've decided to take the initiative and create one central PC Discussion Thread.

This thread shall be used for all sorts of discussion about PCs. Be it hardware, software, firmware, freeware, shareware, abandonware, trickleware, vaporware, legalware, or even tupperware (please not tupperware. that was a joke.)!
To be more focused then the Tech Discussion Thread (which is still 99.9% phone stuff) and slightly more focused than the TFG, which is where most of the stuff that would go here was ending up, this thread shall...uh...well here it is!

To start off the thread, the ultimate question. Which do you use most often: Windows, Mac, or Linux? Bonus poll joke options that aren't really joke options afoot
Last edited by Bezombia on Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon...but down this road we've been so many times...
Please, call me Benomia. Post count +14623, founded Oct. 23, 2012.
Sauritican wrote:We've all been spending too much time with Ben
Verdum wrote:Hey girl, is your name Karl Marx? Because your starting an uprising in my lower classes.
Black Hand wrote:New plan is to just make thousands of disposable firearms and dump them out of cargo planes with tiny drag chutes attached.
Spreewerke wrote:The metric system is the only measurement system that truly meters.
Spreewerke wrote:Salt the women, rape the earth.
Equestican wrote:Ben is love, Ben is life.
Sediczja wrote:real eyes realize real lies
I'm a poet. Come read my poems!

Spoder
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Spoder » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:35 pm

Windows will always be superior.
As will Radeon and RoG.
Legalize gay weed
Time to get aesthetic.
I support insanely high tax rates, do you?

Czechanada
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Czechanada » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:36 pm

Windows 7 user over here.
"You know what I was. You see what I am. Change me, change me!" - Randall Jarrell.

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:37 pm

Czechanada wrote:Windows 7 user over here.

+1 to this. I'll be using W7 until Linux becomes an all in one alternative.
Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon...but down this road we've been so many times...
Verdum wrote:Hey girl, is your name Karl Marx? Because your starting an uprising in my lower classes.
Black Hand wrote:New plan is to just make thousands of disposable firearms and dump them out of cargo planes with tiny drag chutes attached.
Spreewerke wrote:The metric system is the only measurement system that truly meters.

Spoder
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Spoder » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:38 pm

Bezombia wrote:
Czechanada wrote:Windows 7 user over here.

I'll never use Linux because open-source in something with as limited a variety of choices as OS hurts enterprise and the economy.
Legalize gay weed
Time to get aesthetic.

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:39 pm

Spoder wrote:
Bezombia wrote:

I'll never use Linux because open-source in something with as limited a variety of choices as OS hurts enterprise and the economy.

That doesn't even make an ounce of sense.

Spoder
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Spoder » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:44 pm

Bezombia wrote:
Spoder wrote:I'll never use Linux because open-source in something with as limited a variety of choices as OS hurts enterprise and the economy.

Financial isolation.
Requiring support/investments.
When you fail to deliver, those investments/donations fail.
They also provide free, slightly more buggy/dumbed down versions of paid for software licensed by companies, which hurts their revenue and thus the economy.
Legalize gay weed
Time to get aesthetic.

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:45 pm

Spoder wrote:
Bezombia wrote:

Financial isolation.
They also provide free, slightly more buggy/dumbed down versions of paid for software licensed by companies, which hurts their revenue and thus the economy.

1: what
2: nope
3: nope
4: makes zero sense

Spoder
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Spoder » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:51 pm

Bezombia wrote:
Spoder wrote:Financial isolation.

1.Financial isolation/dependancy because you don't make revenue.
2.Something as large as Linux requires donations
3. When you fail your project, people wasted their money donating
4. It does make sense. Take google drive for example (To which Microsoft skillfully and expertly responded with Office 365). Tons of people use it. While it isn't "open-source", it's a free office alternative (dumbed-down/poorly optimized) that is drawing customers away.

But meh. I would prefer Windows, because it is a dependable software. I don't need to worry about all support dropping, and the company closing down. It's a licensed, closed-source licensed software, so that I means I can trust the company to work on it, I can trust it to stay around, and I can trust it when I invest in it.
But now for hardware.
Which brand do you prefer?
Republic of Gamers (ASUS gaming brand)
MSI
Gigabyte
EVGA
ASRock

I prefer RoG myself :)
Legalize gay weed
Time to get aesthetic.

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:56 pm

Spoder wrote:
Bezombia wrote:

1.Financial isolation/dependancy because you don't make revenue.
2.Something as large as Linux requires donations
3. When you fail your project, people wasted their money donating
4. It does make sense. Take google drive for example (To which Microsoft skillfully and expertly responded with Office 365). Tons of people use it. While it isn't "open-source", it's a free office alternative (dumbed-down/poorly optimized) that is drawing customers away.

1: ...uh, no.
2: "Linux" isn't made by one person/group.
2: No, because nobody donated.
4: Also take note that google drive is shit "software" that's only free because Google knows nobody would buy it.

But meh. I would prefer Windows, because it is a dependable software. I don't need to worry about all support dropping, and the company closing down

This makes less than zero sense. Just because Windows is being sold for money and Linux isn't doesn't mean that MS is any more or less inclined to go out of business then the hundreds of groups that are developing Linux versions.

It's a licensed, closed-source licensed software, so that I means I can trust the company to work on it,

Again, there's no logic there.

I can trust it to stay around, and I can trust it when I invest in it.

Um, no, no you can't, that doesn't make any sense. Just because it's closed source doesn't mean it's going to last longer.
In fact, it means quite the opposite. If MS went out of business right this second, all development of Windows would stop dead in the water. On the other hand, if the thousands of individuals that are independently working on Linux all dropped dead right now, there are hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of programmers that could take their place in a heartbeat because it would be perfectly legal to do so.

But now for hardware.
Which brand do you prefer?
Republic of Gamers (ASUS gaming brand)
MSI
Gigabyte
EVGA
ASRock

I prefer RoG myself :)

HIS for graphics cards, Gigabyte for motherboards, Intel for processors.

Spoder
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Spoder » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:58 pm

Bezombia wrote:HIS for graphics cards, Gigabyte for motherboards, Intel for processors.

HIS meh.
Intel is great.
You prefer...the cheapos.
ewwwww.
Legalize gay weed
Time to get aesthetic.

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:01 pm

Spoder wrote:
Bezombia wrote:HIS for graphics cards, Gigabyte for motherboards, Intel for processors.

HIS meh.
Intel is great.
ewwwww.

HIS has the best coolers of any of the AMD consistent brands.
Gigabyte is in a love affair with Intel, where 99% of the time the top of the line mobo is a Gigabyte.
Intel > AMD for gaming purposes from a raw performance standpoint.

Spoder
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Spoder » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:04 pm

Bezombia wrote:
Spoder wrote:HIS meh.
Intel is great.
ewwwww.

Gigabyte is in a love affair with Intel, where 99% of the time the top of the line mobo is a Gigabyte.

Graphics>Processor for gaming purposes.
AMD A10-7770K + R9 290x = everything you want.

Gigabyte is never top of the line.

http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/RAMPAGE_IV_BLACK_EDITION/
http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VI_EXTREME/
Legalize gay weed
Time to get aesthetic.

Meritocratic States
Negotiator

Founded: May 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Meritocratic States » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:04 pm

Saying hi from a Windows 8.1 Professional.
This nation is now being retired.
Good-night, sweet prince.
Hello, Gristol-Serkonos.

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:08 am

Spoder wrote:
Bezombia wrote:

Graphics>Processor for gaming purposes.

Nope. Not sure where you got that from, because it's completely wrong.

Just look at this website, that has dozens of "mix and match" builds that offer the best performance for any given budget:

http://www.logicalincrements.com/

Notice how once you get around the $900 point, all of the processors are Intels? Also notice how a Gigabyte mobo is recommended for almost every budget, where the competitor switches between MSI, Asus, Asrock, and eventually Rampage?

Spoder
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Spoder » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:48 am

Bezombia wrote:
Spoder wrote:Graphics>Processor for gaming purposes.

Nope. Not sure where you got that from, because it's completely wrong.

Just look at this website, that has dozens of "mix and match" builds that offer the best performance for any given budget:

http://www.logicalincrements.com/

Notice how once you get around the $900 point, all of the processors are Intels? Also notice how a Gigabyte mobo is recommended for almost every budget, where the competitor switches between MSI, Asus, Asrock, and eventually Rampage?

Then why is RoG the most used brand by professional, competitive overclockers?
And yeah, Intel's higher end CPUs are better. I know that. Stop acting as if I'm ignorant. And at 900USD, if you're choosing intel then you're just going to be overpaying. At the 1300USD pricepoint, it's reasonable but AMD dominates <1000USD.
But in gaming, for max performance all you need are good cards and a fair CPU. The cards are way more important.
Legalize gay weed
Time to get aesthetic.

Wind in the Willows
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wind in the Willows » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:35 am

I use Windows and Linux.

Czechanada
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Czechanada » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:38 am

Wind in the Willows wrote:I use Windows and Linux.

I would be using Linux in a dual boot as well, but none of the distros I have tried want to connecet to the internet.

They used to, but then we got a new router. :unsure:
"You know what I was. You see what I am. Change me, change me!" - Randall Jarrell.

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:09 am

Czechanada wrote:
Wind in the Willows wrote:I use Windows and Linux.

I would be using Linux in a dual boot as well, but none of the distros I have tried want to connecet to the internet.

I would be dual booting, but AMD's crowdopensource drivers are complete shit, and the proprietary drivers are a bit messy to install. Wouldn't be a problem if my card didn't, for some strange reason, default to 10% underscan, but as long as that goes on it really isn't an option for me.

I do have a TinyCore bootable CD in case Windows ever decides to shit itself again like it did a few months ago.

Czechanada
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Czechanada » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:12 am

Bezombia wrote:
Czechanada wrote:

I would be dual booting, but AMD's crowdopensource drivers are complete shit, and the proprietary drivers are a bit messy to install. Wouldn't be a problem if my card didn't, for some strange reason, default to 10% underscan, but as long as that goes on it really isn't an option for me.

I do have a TinyCore bootable CD in case Windows ever decides to shit itself again like it did a few months ago.

The proprietary drivers aren't that hard to install; One just has to remember to install the 32 bit kernel headers before installing the drivers.

To uninstall drivers, however, is difficult.

Novaya Tselinoyarsk
Senator

Founded: Aug 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Novaya Tselinoyarsk » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:50 pm

PC Setup:

CPU: AMD Six Core 4.1GHz
RAM: 8GB
Mobo: Asus Something (I forget the model, can't be arsed to look)
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 650
Storage: 1x 128GB SSD for OS, 1x 1TB 7200RPM HDD for games.

I keep all of my movies, music, and files on my server, which runs:

CPU: AMD Quad Core 3.9GHz
RAM: 6GB
Mobo: Asus Something (Again, can't be arsed)
GPU: None
OS: Debian (I also have about five VMs, two which run Windows 8 for dicking around, and Windows Server; Other three are different flavors of Linux)
Storage: 3x 2TB 7200RPM HDD, 1x 1TB HDD, 1x 128GB SSD.

I built my server out of the old parts from my original gaming PC, and just added refurbished HDDs from various sources, barely spent any money on making it other then new case.
Proletariacka Rzeczpospolita Nowy Tselinoyarsk
Proletarskaya Respubliki Novaya Tselinoyarsk

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:21 pm

Novaya Tselinoyarsk wrote:PC Setup:

CPU: AMD Six Core 4.1GHz
RAM: 8GB
Mobo: Asus Something (I forget the model, can't be arsed to look)
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 650
Storage: 1x 128GB SSD for OS, 1x 1TB 7200RPM HDD for games.

I keep all of my movies, music, and files on my server, which runs:

CPU: AMD Quad Core 3.9GHz
RAM: 6GB
Mobo: Asus Something (Again, can't be arsed)
GPU: None
OS: Debian (I also have about five VMs, two which run Windows 8 for dicking around, and Windows Server; Other three are different flavors of Linux)
Storage: 3x 2TB 7200RPM HDD, 1x 1TB HDD, 1x 128GB SSD.

I built my server out of the old parts from my original gaming PC, and just added refurbished HDDs from various sources, barely spent any money on making it other then new case.

This is mine:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K, 4.6 GHz (212 EVO)
RAM: 16GB (2x8, 1600)
Mobo: Gigabyte Z77-D3H v1.1
GPU: HIS IceQ/X Radeon HD 7850 (oc'd to 1.05 GHz)
Storage: 180GB Intel SSD; 1TB Seagate HDD; 2TB+8GB Seagate HSSD

RiderSyl
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby RiderSyl » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:10 pm

Here's mine:

Manufacturer: Gateway
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 870 @ 2.93GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.9GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Hard Drive: 978 GB
Mobo: I have no idea.
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 5750
Monitor: acer HDMI H233H Monitor
R.I.P. Dyakovo
Sylvia Montresor

Ashmoria
Karpathos
~ You may think I’m small, but I have a universe inside my mind. ~

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:12 pm

Ridersyl wrote:Here's mine:

Manufacturer: Gateway
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 870 @ 2.93GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.9GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Hard Drive: 978 GB
Mobo: I have no idea.
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 5750
Monitor: acer HDMI H233H Monitor

>8 CPUs

Czechanada
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Czechanada » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:16 pm

Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad 6600 at 2.4 Ghz
Memory: 4096 DDR2 RAM at 400 Mhz.
Hard Drive: 2 x 500 GB
Video Card: Powercolor Radeon HD 6870

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction