NATION

PASSWORD

Archives and Future of the MDSO [Mercury]

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]
Largent
Bureaucrat

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Archives and Future of the MDSO [Mercury]

Postby Largent » Wed May 20, 2009 5:12 pm

A Brief History

Mercury history, much like the planet, is a tale of extremes. Although all politics on the planet are said to take place "under the searing sun," the regions history is just as fiery figuratively as it is literally. Just as a Mercurian sunset leads to a time of extreme cold, so too does our story.

Colonies began to arise on the surface of the rock who most tempts the brink of annihilation at a time when the Order of the Seraphim was raising the torch in opposition to peacefull, democratic alliances, as the forces of iniquity from antiquity had gone to dust. As the primary land holders, the Seraphim Military plunged the planet into a time of war, until their eventual defeat led them to far off worlds. For some time, a pacified Sketchian force held the region in balance until they eventually abandoned outposts and slowly faded into the dustbin of history.

In their absence, regional powers formed an allied bloc on the planet and everything was business as usual. Mercury slowly became a political backwater, and its story ended in ice, rather than fire.

Archives of the Mercurian Defense and Security organization [from Jolt]

CHARTER OF THE MERCURIAN DEFENSE & SECURITY ORGANIZATION[/size]

ARTICLE ONE: PURPOSE
To strengthen and greatly ensure the security and interests of The Planet Mercury are as best served as possible, along with better facilitating the interests of individual member-states who participate in this treaty.

ARTICLE TWO: COMMON DEFENSE

It is of the intent of this treaty that all signatories to the MDSO are to provide a mutual common defense if in the event of one of it's member-states are attacked without an actionable amount of justification. It shall be understood that providing a defense to the aforementioned state is encouraged until an official mandate from the MDSO is passed; which then members will be expected to provide military assistance. If in the event that military aid is unable to be provided, that member-state shall be expected to then provide logistical support and/or funding to compensate.

Nations shall also be obligated to contribute to a MDSO Rapid Response Initiative, which shall exist for the purposes of immediate response should a MDSO member-state come under attack, or the integrity of Mercury be compromised. This initiative shall be activated automatically and without need for a vote, for defensive purposes only. Command of this force shall be rotated on a monthly basis in alphabetic order, a term of command lasting from 12:01am GMT on the first, to the end of every month.

At any time may nations choose to contribute additional or lesser forces to the Rapid Response Initiative, requiring only a two week notice to the General Council for withdrawals, and no notice is required for additional contributions.

ARTICLE THREE: OTHER MILITARY ACTION
If in the event that member-states find favorably any other military action by a majority of 2/3 of all treaty participants, the MDSO Rapid Response Initiative shall be activated and said military response shall be actioned on behalf of, and in the name of the MDSO in its entirety. A full declaration of war shall require the majority of 3/4 of all MDSO signatories to pass.

ARTICLE FOUR: TRADE
It is not of the interests of this treaty to regulate (or deregulate) trade between member-states. Signatories shall be expected to form their own policies on trade, although preferential trading between member-states is to be viewed favorably.

ARTICLE FIVE: PLANETARY ISSUES

It shall be noted that all matters pertaining to the affairs of The Planet Mercury as a whole should be directed to a purposefully MDSO operated Office of Planetary Affairs. This office shall be intended as the seat of foreign relations for Mercury to the rest of Sol, including any and all matters of external entities requesting for land possession, defense of the planet as a whole, and other issues with regards to the inter-relationships between territories on Mercury. The Office of Planetary Affairs shall offer mediation between non-members if in the event of conflict, and/or mandate if a majority of 2/3 is achieved.

The MDSO, via the Office of Planetary Affairs and the MDSO Rapid Response Initiative, shall maintain itself as an international policeman on The Planet Mercury, capable and willing to intervene where necessary, and enforce it's agenda when required. A general attitude to the rest of Mercury shall be however, that unless the state's involved are a member-state of the MDSO, then the MDSO shall not intervene unless it is actually in the interests of its member-states, the organization, or the collective security of Mercury as a whole.

ARTICLE SIX: MEMBERSHIP AND EXPULSION
Membership is available to all nations with holdings on The Planet Mercury. This is to resolve that the affairs of this jurisdiction are not governed by external interests or powers.

Correct protocol for applying for membership in the MDSO is as follows:

The applicant should contact a state who has already signed and ratified the Charters of the MDSO. If it so desires, this state should act as 'Sponsor' to the applicant's desire to become a part of this treaty, where it will present to the general council a case for the applicant's membership. A vote will be held, and should a majority of 2/3 be achieved then the application shall be accepted. Should it fail to achieve 2/3 however, this does not rule out the ability of the applicant to try again at a later date.

Under certain circumstances, certain member-states may find themselves considered undesirable for membership within the MDSO. Should this occur, a case should be opened to the general council where the matter is to be discussed, and a vote is to be held. A 2/3 majority is required for expulsion.

ARTICLE SEVEN: OTHER

To re-clarify, the following is a copy of all majorities required to action various requests of the MDSO:

1. A 2/3 majority is required to initiate an officially mandated defense of MDSO member-states. Without it, defense is merely encouraged.
  2. A 2/3 majority is required to have the MDSO officially action any other military activity, not pertaining to the defense of its members.
  3. A 3/4 majority is required for an official declaration of war on behalf of the MDSO as a whole, where all member-states will participate, including or not including the MSDO Rapid Response Initiative.
  4. A 2/3 majority is required to issue an official mandate on behalf of the MDSO, via the Office of Planetary Affairs.
  5. A 2/3 majority is required to accept new applicants to the MDSO. Similarly, a 2/3 majority is also required for expulsion of members from the
    alliance.
ARTICLE EIGHT: AMENDMENTS

It is understood that these Charters may need to be amended from time to time, therefore a 2/3 majority will be required to make such changes. It shall also take a 3/4 for it to be declared invalid, and for the MDSO to be dissolved.

SIGNATORIES

Unione of Capitalizt States of Austar Union
Greater People's Hegemony of Pilon
Ba'ath National Command of Largent
United Solaris Federation of Tiburon
Federated Mercurial Demesne of The Caloris Basin

OOC: The Future?
Now that we are slowly changing forums its seems like a fine time to begin on another of the two or three projects I have been thinking about for some time, two of which are taking political backwaters in Sol and turning them into new play places much like Mars.

Ideally I would like to see some of the older guys return and some new faces to add to the mix, political tensions may not be great in real life but its where all the interesting RP comes from.

I have created a general outline of what a regional map would look like. I would encourage all to become involved. Although, I would like to try to get in touch with people who have established places in the area before drastically changing the map, send a delegate, make contact, send battleships, whatever, lets just bring the planet back to life. Its not dead, it just smells funny.

List of older players:

Caloris
Largent
Allanea
Tiburon
Central Facehuggeria
Lord Sauron Reborn[un-extant]
Derscon
Austar Union
Last edited by Largent on Wed May 20, 2009 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Northrop-Grumman
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 28, 2003
Benevolent Dictatorship

Re: Archives and Future of the MDSO [Mercury]

Postby Northrop-Grumman » Wed May 20, 2009 5:54 pm

Admittedly, I joined the planet just shortly before it started to go inactive but I'm there nevertheless with 300k square kilometers of land, looking back at the old thread there. But either way, I'm still somewhat active and willing to join back into activity on Mercury.

Largent
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Largent » Wed May 20, 2009 9:14 pm

[ooc: great to hear your still around and active. I'm just a little to lazy to update the map now and I'm sure once one of the other players turns out to be inactive I'll just substitute your name because photoshop is the bane of my existence. In the mean time we might as well get something started up.]

>>>Transmission to: [The Conglomeration of Northrop-Grumman]<<<
>>>VIA {Largentian Diplo Networks} <<<
{From: The Office of Planetary Affairs, Largentian Branch, Tolstoj}
{Subject: Formal Request for Meeting}

On behalf of The Mercurian Security and Defense Organization Office of Planetary Affairs, representing the Problacht Chonaidhme and the united Provinces therein, do I request formally that the Conglomeration of Northrop-Grumman do consider a proposal, by the afore mentioned Council of the Problacht Chonaidhme, to join us in a meeting to be located on Murcurain Largenti soil.

As a relative newcomer to the region we would appreciate an informal discussion with a delegation concerning how best to foster a strong and positive relationship between our states as well as the future of this rock. Due to the lack of activity within the MSDO we would also like to entertain the possibility of adding your nation as a signatory, perhaps by way and an expedited route. We would be happy to host a meeting in our offices in Tostoj at your earliest convenience.

Bayard Sartoris , Overseer of the Office for Planetary Affairs, acting on behalf of The Problacht Chonaidhme of Largent.

The Caloris Basin
Political Columnist

Founded: Jan 11, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Caloris Basin » Thu May 21, 2009 1:22 am

I like that map... it makes me HYOOOOGE! ROAR!

But, hey, I'm not nearly as active as I used to be, but I still poke my LiMEy head in from time to time. I'm all in favor of kicking the rust off of Mercury. I probably remember all the names I used.
Last edited by The Caloris Basin on Thu May 21, 2009 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aelosia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Aelosia » Thu May 21, 2009 2:42 am

OOC:

Wait, is it possible to get a piece of it, or only former holders are supposed to be in this?
My ratings in the top 100:
Aelosia is ranked 12th in the world for Lowest Unemployment Rates
Aelosia is ranked 12th in the world for Lowest Unemployment Rates
Aelosia is ranked 12th in the world for Largest Defense Forces
Aelosia is ranked 13th in the world for Most Scientifically Advanced
Aelosia is ranked 20th in the world for Most Cultured
Aelosia is ranked 24th in the world for Most Subsidized Industry
Aelosia is ranked 25th in the world for Fastest-Growing Economies
Aelosia is ranked 38th in the world for Largest Public Transport Department
Aelosia is ranked 42th in the world for Largest Publishing Industry
Aelosia is ranked 51th in the world for Largest Information Technology Sector
Aelosia is ranked 61th in the world for Largest Arms Manufacturing Sector

Factbook so far.

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Thu May 21, 2009 2:52 am

OOC: I still hold land on Mercury? I thought I sold it. If I still have some land, this would, however, be excellent.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Sometimes, there really is money on the sidewalk.

Dread Lady Nathicana
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dread Lady Nathicana » Thu May 21, 2009 6:05 am

ooc: I believe I had a very small scientific outpost granted by Hack - very small, very much there only by permission. But if it were possible to expand from there, given the ah decline of certain other parties, I would be very much interested in being considered. Especially given very, very, very long-forgotten history up there that vanished in the original Great Forum Purge involving things like 'vendetta' and 'waltzing about on the graves of our enemies' and such. ;)

Northrop-Grumman
Ambassador

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Northrop-Grumman » Thu May 21, 2009 9:21 am

<:: Begin Transmission ::>
<:: Priority - Beta ::>
<:: Sender: Office of the Administrator – New Sonne Central Datalink – Mercury ::>
<:: Recipients: Office of Planetary Affairs – Largentian Branch – Tolstoj ::>

After conferring with the Chairman and Vice Chairman of the Conglomeration concerning the proposal you have put forth, it has been decided that I shall attend the meeting you wish to hold in Tolstoj. In addition, the Chair has thought it best to bestow upon me the rights and responsibilities of a full representative of Northrop-Grumman in the event that it is found that joining the Mercurian Security and Defense Organization is in the best interest of ourselves and that of the alliance itself, in addition to any new ties with the Largentian government.

The main intention of this acceptance, as conveyed to me through the Chair, is the strengthening of relations between the Largentian and Grummian governments. Our reasoning is that we wish for the planet to remain secure, more open, and certainly more understanding of one another in the coming years through such discussions and that we could place our best efforts forth in achieving such a goal together, and beyond all that is good for the Mercurian community, the Conglomeration always finds it beneficial to engage in these talks and to see what new friends it can find in the cosmos.

Bryon Quicke
Administrator of the New Sonne Research City

<:: Text Ended ::>
<:: Transmission Sent ::>

OOC: Wow...this all required one hell of a forum dig and nostalgia trip. :D

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Thu May 21, 2009 12:16 pm

OOC: Largent, I have sent you a telegram.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Largent
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Largent » Thu May 21, 2009 6:55 pm

OOC: sorry NG I'll adress your post shortly. First I think I need to clear things up. On the issue of obtaining land, I suppose I can't necessarily speak for the others but I would hope that they all (myself included) would be willing to make room for plenty of others. As it stands right now Mercury is a giant block of massive colonies all occupied by nations who generally get along. I feel that adding new people and expanding smaller territories would make the region a lot more interesting and active.

I guess that was a really long way of saying "I hope you can buy land and expand." I know I'm willing to help accommodate those interested in becoming involved (of course I still have to be second biggest because my ego bruises easily ;) )

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Thu May 21, 2009 8:11 pm

OOC: I am for one willing to share my land, however, on a single OOC condition. I am not willing to sell my land just for "XYZ money", it gives me nothing. I am willing to sell land parcels if and when this will result in a fruitful RP opportunity for myself and others on Mercury. Also, ICly, my nation will obviously prefer to sell land to people who would like to have a long-term productive relationship with us (diplomacy, trade, etc.).

IC:

Official Statement from the United States of Allanea

While not currently a member of the MDSO, the United States of Allanea would like to extend a hand of friendship to Largent yet once more. In particular, we would like to extend an offer to the leadership of Largent. Our nations have long had no diplomatic contact, and we would like to discuss re-establishing it, for the purpose of further friendship and cooperation, as well as trade. There are also some other, more sensitive issues that we with to discuss, however these will have to wait until our representatives can meet in a business setting.
Last edited by Allanea on Fri May 22, 2009 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

The Caloris Basin
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby The Caloris Basin » Fri May 22, 2009 3:22 am

Dread Lady Nathicana wrote:ooc: I believe I had a very small scientific outpost granted by Hack - very small, very much there only by permission.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I granted you some land. Only makes sense, all things considered.

In general, the Basin is pretty willing to lease/trade land, as... well... we have a lot of it. A lot. I don't remember the exact figures, but I believe my holdings were something on the order of 13 million square kilometers of territory (these figures were on that ancient off-site forum Allanea had set up). Especially since, for the longest time, Elijah considered the entire planet to be his. But, to be fair and reasonable, Elijah's mostly interested in holding tight to the Basin itself and a bit of a buffer zone. He's open to negotiation for the rest of it. I believe Nathi's facilities are in the Basin proper, though.

Dread Lady Nathicana
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dread Lady Nathicana » Fri May 22, 2009 5:13 am

ooc: Yes, it was - and I believe it wasn't so much 'land' as a single 'facility'. That being said, if land outside the Basin were available, considering as I said, absences ... I'd be interested. But figured I'd check with Caloris - who we also view as the proper owner of the planet in general btw - and Largent, as he's started this revitalization, to see if something could be managed.

Largent
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Largent » Fri May 22, 2009 6:19 pm

EDIT: the forum ate my post twice so I hope whatever I wrote at least still makes sense...

ooc: haha, caloris, you were a little short. After Sketch left we had you as owning 69% (teehee) of the surface which equated to 54.939 million sq. kilometers. I believe I was somewhere in a distant second with around 23%. So of course if anyone wants to talk a purchase we would be willing as well. Also, if someone with decent photoshop/graphic skills could volunteer their time to make a nice pretty map, that would be fantastic.

A relatively small, sleek, ship shot over the Mercurian landscape. Onboard, Jackson Fentry, was straightening out his suit. Although engineers always try to make these diplomatic vessels as luxurious as possible, it is always impossible to look presentable after a flight across a sizable portion of a planets surface. Once he was satisfied with his appearance, Fentry glanced out the porthole of the shuttle. A thin film of grey ash had formed thanks to Mercury's atmosphere. Fentry had always found the fact that there was an atmosphere strange. Apparently, volatile oxides that form the atmosphere condense in the shadows of valles and then get kicked up by human activity creating a thin cloud of dust along heavily used traffic routes. Fentry felt the small gold and yellow bullet begin to slow down as it approached the New Sonne Research city. Fentry braced himself. Unfortunately the grey pumice that covered Mercury had a habit of covering everything, finding its way into every imaginable crack or crevasse. This gave shuttles a tendency to slip during the landing and on one embarassing occasion leave a noticeable scratch on an adjecent craft. Luckily this landing went perfectly.

As the New Sonne hangar airlock sealed, Fentry exited the craft and was approached by the delegation the Largentians would be hosting. One man introduced himself as Administrator Bryon Quicke. Fentry bowed and introduced himself. "Mr. Administrator, allow me to outline how our offices have planned your vistit. The flight crew and I will escort you to Tolstoj where you will me with Overseer Bayard Sartoris, the highest ranking representative in the MSDO. There you will have what will hopefully be a pleasant and relatively informal discussion concerning how you both forsee our future political relations on Mercury--and perhaps elsewhere. You will also discuss the possibility of your pursuit of a place within the MSDO. I'm also sure you realize that we have already--unofficially--offered our support and sponsorship for your addition to the organization. Then Overseer Sartoris would be happy to answer any questions you may have concerning Largent or any other matters and provide a tour of our facilities if you wish. Then we will hopefully have you home in time for dinner," he added with a grin.

As the two embarked, Fentry was pleased to note that the pilots had wiped down the portholes to provide a view on the ride back to Largent. Once again, once the two were settled, the shuttle lifted off and tore across the Mercurian dessert. Several minutes into the flight the cabin slowly went dark. "We must be approaching the night's horizon," Fentry commented. To the ships starboard side, a towering cliff of a black, basaltic rock cut off the sunlight, and the deep night shadow of an airless world surrounded them. Before them, the shadow reached out and ended in knife-edge abruptness into an all-but-unbearable blaze of white light, that glittered from myriad crystals along a rocky ground.

Finally, the shuttle rose over the rim of the Tolstoj Basin and began its descent into the subterranean tunnels of the Largentian colony. Just before the surface disappeared from view, Fentry pointed out the distant, tinted dome sitting in the shadow of the Basin's surrounding Dorse--or ridge-- where a select few of the Largentian facilities were located above the surface. After a few more moments of thrilling twist and turns through the underground world the ship slowly came to a halt in one of the Tolstoj hangars. Fentry smiled, "every time they take us through those my knuckles turn white. The sad part is that they take it slow for us. I guess thats why I stick to my desk and leave the daredevil maneuvers to those far more crazy than I," he offered jokingly, making sure the pilots heard.

In his office, Sartoris was preparing for his guest. His office was one of the few in the dome Fentry had pointed out. It had no ceiling or walls, giving the impression that the floor was suspended over a small citadel of similar glass bubbles, all of which gazed out over the magnificent and alien landscape of the planet. There was a knock at the door. Sartoris turned to see Fentry escorting the guest whom he would be hostin. Sartoris bowed and introduced himself, he then offered his guest a seat. "I hope your journey went smoothly."

Elsewhere in the IPA offices...

There are also some other, more sensitive issues that we shit to discuss

Despite the odd wording of the Allanean message and despite the...reputation they had garnered on Mars, the Largentian officials on Mercury could see no justification for not having open channels of communication with their neighbors. So, they would certainly agree to meet, although they would tread with caution

>>>Transmission to: [The United States of Allanea]<<<
>>>VIA {Largentian Diplo Networks} <<<
{From: The Office of Planetary Affairs, Largentian Branch, Tolstoj}
{Subject: Official Statement...}

On behalf of The Mercurian Security and Defense Organization Office of Planetary Affairs, representing the Problacht Chonaidhme and the united Provinces therein, do I accept formally the Allanean invitation to arrange a meeting between an Allanean representative and Largentian delegation in a formal setting, as well as discuss the matters you have set forth.

It is true that our communication channels have gone quiet in recent years and we see every reason to change that. Once we receive a specific date and location we will immediately deploy a Largentian representative to meet and discuss matters as well as open up diplomatic communications between our states.

Bayard Sartoris , Overseer of the Office for Planetary Affairs, acting on behalf of The Problacht Chonaidhme of Largent.
Last edited by Largent on Fri May 22, 2009 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Fri May 22, 2009 6:26 pm

OOC: LOL, Largent. This was actually a bizarre error on my part. Probably has to do with typing in the wee hours of the morning. I fixed it. Sorry about that.
Last edited by Allanea on Fri May 22, 2009 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Sat May 23, 2009 9:37 am

Official Allanean Reply:

We of the United States Department of State believe that the best way to conduct the meeting would be to do so at the Panmunjeon Council Halls. As you know, all diplomats that represent the world at the Panmunjeon used to have offices at the halls – and we will happily meet you there. Though some people believe the Panmunjeon to be a useless organization, we in the United States still believe in its value and believe conducting the meeting there would express this belief of ours.

Our representative, Ambassador Henry Muttershead will happily greet you at the Allanean offices at the Panmunjeon halls. Refreshments of various kinds will, of course, be made available.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Largent
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Largent » Sat May 23, 2009 6:56 pm

Former Mercurian Ambassador Taran Garvin had just finished packing up his belongings from his former office as he prepared to assume his new title of Minister of Colonial Relations. In fact, he already had assumed that title, he just needed to return to Earth for a new office and a shiny new name plate. First, however, as his last official act on Mercury, he had to work things out with the Allaneans. Unfortunately, to do so, he would have to meet them at Panmenjeon. As he arrived and entered the facilities through the Great Hall, despite the crepuscular lighting, it was clear that the hall was anything but great. The building had been constructed long before Mercury had been worthy of attracting any serious attention from distant regions. As a result it was modest, old, and generally unpleasant to do business in, at least for a man like Garvin, who--as most Largentians do--has a love for the beautiful and extravagant. Hopefully the powers that be would see to it that a new Panmunjeon was constructed some time in the near future.

Winding his way through the narrow corridors he passed the now largely unused offices. Some of the offices even still bore the names of nations long gone. Sketch, members of the Order, Der Angst, The Accursed Realm. Most of these powers had decayed before Garvin had even been born. It was certainly a different time back then. The Largentians had even arrived to the sight of Sketchian ortillery bombardments meant to intimidate neighbors. Times change alright. However, Garvin was prepared for a bit of nostalgia. The Allaneans, even more so than the Largentians, had lived through the times of old and to an extent still lived by their creed--or so Garvin had been told.

Finally, Garvin found the correct office, the door ajar, and the ambassador awaiting his arrival.

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Sun May 24, 2009 12:56 am

Unlike many diplomatic services throughout the world, the Allanean Foreign Service is a paramilitary institution. As a means of restraining the exuberant individualism of the Allaneans, Secretary of State Maverick Monningham (and the 'Pendran advisor that assisted him) implemented a system of mandatory uniforms and courses – therefore the usual fursuits and Mohawks for which the Allaneans are famous are replaced, for diplomats, with dark-blue uniforms and broad-brimmed hats.

Henry Muttershead's hat is hanging on a hook as Garvin enters – the only sign of 'casualness' in his austere office. There are no decorations apart from an Allanean flag and the portrait of the President. A simple mini-projector in his table is projecting a laser-keyboard and a holographic impression of a screen – but, as soon as the Largenti appears, he eliminates both projection with a swift tap on a 'button'.

"Good day, Ambassador Garvin." – Henry says. He nods as a small humanoid servant-bot appears through a side door. "Please, sit down. Donald, bring the dinner."

The primitive contraption disappears, only to reappear again with a pair of covered dishes and a bottle of wine.

"Pardon me, Ambassador Garvin, I was not properly informed of your tastes. I programmed Donald to arrange for some Blue Salmon from one of our off-world colonies. It is a bit like regular Salmon – except, of course, for being blue, and being softer and gentler. And the wine is from Greater Prussia, of course."

As the Largentian makes sits down, the Allanean nods curtly, and the robot, programmed for its owner's body language, disappears again.

"I understand the MDSO has some new plans for Mercury. Perhaps you can explain them to me over this fine salmon?"
Last edited by Allanea on Sun May 24, 2009 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

The Caloris Basin
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby The Caloris Basin » Sun May 24, 2009 5:34 am

Largent wrote:ooc: haha, caloris, you were a little short. After Sketch left we had you as owning 69% (teehee) of the surface which equated to 54.939 million sq. kilometers. I believe I was somewhere in a distant second with around 23%.
Holy crap, I forgot about that. Also, I suppose eager mapmakers will have it easier than when I first landed on Mercury. What with MESSENGER and all. Of course, buying land is the least of your problems!

Dread Lady Nathicana wrote:ooc: Yes, it was - and I believe it wasn't so much 'land' as a single 'facility'. That being said, if land outside the Basin were available, considering as I said, absences ... I'd be interested.
Well, being allies and all (doubly via NDA and Yut), I'm sure something most reasonable could be arranged. Especially if Evangelista asked nicely :P

Largent
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Largent » Sun May 24, 2009 6:49 pm

Garvin was mildly relieved. There is nothing worse than attempting to enjoy a meal that has been prepared to showcase or make a statement about a host's culture. Garvin could still recall the least pleasant of his dining experiences. It had been a dish based on Japanese heritage given as a gift from the nation's emperor. The delegate with whom he was meeting had explained that the fish (which was unique to the country) was caught raw, placed in a barrel of rice for fifty years where it fermented. It was then removed, gutted (although there were few "guts" left), allowed to dry for a few hours and then placed back in the fermenting rice for fifty more years. Considering all that work, Garvin came dangerously close to laughing when he took the first bite and it was the single most vile piece of meat had had ever or would ever eat. "It sounds delicious," he said allowing his mind to return once more to the meal ahead.

"Officially speaking, no, the MDSO has no plans. However, that is only because the MDSO has largely been an unnecessary measure that has done nearly nothing since things quieted down around here." Garvin paused a moment, twirled his glass of Greater Prussian wine, held it to the light, took a sip, and nodded slightly. "If we are referring strictly to individual member states then the story is different. Largent has been engaged in very casual discussions with regional allies and a general plan, more of a notion really, is beginning to form. You see, Largentian holdings on this rock have been quite expensive. We do have plenty of mining and energy facilities, but the simple cost of defending such a large holding is disproportionate to the actual threat against our borders. This has warranted some scrutiny over how things have been managed in this corner of Sol. The local government eventually came into agreement with Largent Prime that it would be good politics and business if we began investigating the option of selling, leasing, or trading smaller, less-used parts of our territory here.

"The second part of our plan is to begin strengthening old ties and forming new ones. Diplomatic relations with Northrop-Grumman and Allanea being two examples. Thats how it all stands as of this moment. Of course there will be new items to add to the agenda down the road--terraforming has been brought up, space stations as well--but well never accomplish anything if we get ahead of ourselves.

"And now if I may ask you the same question Ambassador, we have heard little news from within your borders (or anyone's for that matter) what are your plans for your own colony?"

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Sun May 24, 2009 10:39 pm

The Allanean nodded. “To be frank, Sir, our purposes here are modest. As you know, our development of this area is modest, limited to several mining colonies and factories, a military naval facility and several scientific installations.” - that the “installations” were DREAD compounds researching eldritch secrets of the Lovecraftian persuasion remained better unsaid. - “But recently this has begun growing, with a new network of mines opening soon, and I believe a Casino-Hotel on its way. Now, for such things to work, it is necessary for us to ensure peace and security.”

“In other words, we do not have any attempt to disturb you upon this rock. To be honest, I do not see the point. The horrors of interstellar warfare are too great to be unleashed over a few square inches of overheated soil, and I hope you agree. On the other hand, I believe the United States should... cooperate with the MDSO more. Perhaps even... apply to join, if the votes were to be found.”
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Northrop-Grumman
Ambassador

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Northrop-Grumman » Mon May 25, 2009 12:06 pm

In great contrast to his appearance when the New Sonne Research City had first made impact and clamped onto the Mercurian surface two decades ago, Bryon Quicke had not aged as well as his counterparts had on other colony worlds. The proximity of the sun and the initial ineptitude of the Grummian science community in preparing for such a thing, coupled with the duration of his term as administrator over the city had proven to be detrimental to his body. His skin, while appearing to be quite tanned, was pocked heavily in areas where there was immediate exposure to sunlight such as his hands and face. Automatically tinting glasses rested on the end of his nose and almost always concealed his gradually deteriorating eyesight. And his previously deep-brown hair was bleached to an off-white. Overall, despite his height reaching to approximately six and a half feet, his appearance took on that of a seventy year old man.

But in much delight to those who met him, Quicke had managed to not possess the stereotypical personality of such an older man and was actually quite cordial upon meeting Fentry, bowing in response to his greeting and politely answering the itinerary with “Excellent to hear. It is quite an honor that you have gone through such detail for my visit. I am impressed.”

Aside from that initial interaction, he remained relatively quiet for the duration of the trip out to the Tolstoj Basin, only really commenting when something was described to him, but mostly spending his time gazing out the window at the Mercurian landscape. Despite everything being so desolate out there, he found himself enjoying watching everything pass him by as he wasn’t all that used to being out here beyond the colony’s shields. In actuality, he had not left this planet or the colony in years because he had very little ties with anyone outside of it and saw no reason to leave his post as administrator. But while some would think this would make him happy, he couldn’t complain about it; he enjoyed what he did.

Now, once the journey had ended at the Largentian facility and Quicke had taken a seat in the Overseer’s office after the initial greetings, he smiled greatly and answered the man. “It was remarkably pleasant, I must say. I do not think I’ve ever had quite an enjoyable ride quite like that until now, even our passenger liners usually do not manage that,” he replied, resting his leg upon his knee.

“And I also have to say that you have quite an impressive subterranean facility here, too, and I found it rather nice to get a small glimpse of it on my way here. Though…it’s regrettable that I had not come here sooner, perhaps to even see it being built, but alas, such is the case when one is bottled up in that city all the time. One does not have much of an opportunity to see what lies beyond the borders…but I believe our limited relations with you bear most of the blame for that.”

Largent
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Largent » Mon May 25, 2009 10:34 pm

Panmunjeon

When the Allanean spoke of interstellar warfare and assured Garvin that Largentians would not be 'disturbed,' Garvin paused briefly. Recounting to himself his words, he saw no reason for the ambassador to assume he had been hinting at possible conflict. This either meant that the United States was no stranger to conflict, or that his host had made an unintentional slip and there was some unknown darkness lurking inside the Allanean borders that the local Largentians had every reason to fear. He decided not to press the issue. "Before I address the issue of the MDSO, first allow me to apologize and say that I hope none of my words led you to believe that Largent has any concern over a possible confrontation with any of its neighbors. We see only peace and prosperity in our futures.

"As for the MDSO, I can speak with little authority in that area. I would begin by saying that membership should be rather easy to obtain given the rather loose and benign wording of the treaty. Of course no nation has ever applied, so I can speak with little certainty. If you are seeking Largent as a sponsor state--although there may be more reliable options-- I'm afraid I can speak with even less authority. Seeing as we have never sponsored a state and I would not be involved in that decision process anyway. The only potential obstacle would be the fact that Largent is the newcomer to the region, and our IPA offices may decide--for your own benefit largely-- that our word would not be, by itself, sufficient to ensure your acceptance. After all, once a vote of 'no' has been cast it makes the second application even more difficult. However, as I said before, the MDSO is by no means exclusive, like say, Yut, and was designed that way intentionally. I believe that if you, or any other nation applied, it would be ill advised for the MDSO not to accept you. It's job is to avoid regional tension, not create it."

Garvin shrugged slightly and offered a smile, "I realize my response was rather vague, but sadly the MDSO does not have enough of a track record or history for me to offer anything better. The course of action that I would advise would be to contact member states individually and briefly to make sure that at least you have a few guaranteed 'yes' votes and a sponsor. The likelihood of a 'no' vote is slim, but the likelihood of members being too apathetic to even cast a vote is a potential threat." Garvin laughed and shook his head. "It's an odd organization, I know."

Tolstoj

Bayard nodded in agreement. "I must admit that I too have failed to get out of my own office enough to see the world...this world anyway. Perhaps a lack of relations is to blame, which strikes me as odd. Well, not the fact that that is the root cause, but rather the lack of relations. One would assume that between Earth, Mercury, Mars, and simple interplanetary commerce, this conversation would have occurred long ago." Bayard sighed, set some papers aside and got settled in his seat. "Sometimes there is simply too much to do I suppose. Not enough hours in the day, as they used to say...at least they used to say that until humans settled Mercury and realized their day was suddenly 58 times longer.

"Now, at the risk of sounding like I'm conducting an interview, I must ask you a question, thanks mostly to Largent's unfortunate ignorance of it's neighbors. First, I would like to know where your colony stands. I realize that is incredibly general, but I mean it in terms of what role does it serve for the government. Do you see it as a military installation, research outpost, et cetera? Also, do you see it's role changing in the near future? For example, do you plan to expand your borders? Finally, given all I have just asked you, how do you hope to interact and benefit from interactions with other nations, specifically Largent? Once again, I apologize for the pseudo-interrogation, I just feel these things are important to establish as we move forward."

ooc: twas uninspired, but its late...

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Tue May 26, 2009 4:12 am

The Allanean nodded. "Let me restate it. The United States has a reputation for belligerence. To some degree it is well-earned. This is why, when we do mean peace, we need to go the extra mile to make it clear that our efforts are genuine. This is why we would like to.. enhance our cooperation with the community here."
Last edited by Allanea on Tue May 26, 2009 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Northrop-Grumman
Ambassador

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Northrop-Grumman » Tue May 26, 2009 3:38 pm

Quicke laughed light-heartedly at the comment. “No, no need to apologize for it in the slightest. It’s rare that I find myself on the other side of the table; normally I am the one trying to pry answers out of people,” he replied, still grinning.

“Now, to answer your questions, New Sonne is primarily intended to be used as a research facility to study our city-ships and their systems under high stress conditions on the planet’s surface, particularly when this close to the sun, and has been this way since its founding and to this date. We’ve tried to keep it from turning into a military base, which has been moderately successful. There are enough defenses in place to assure that the facility can lift off the surface and escape if need be, but not so much that it could ever be effectively used on the offensive against another nation here. We see no real reason to militarize this planet and turn it into a twin of Mars.

“As for expansion…there might very well be the possibility that the Corporation would turn the facility into a semi-autonomous colony with its own governor, instead of the science community and its families that it has now, which would entail expanding outward to accommodate those who would wish to move here. We presently operate based on only crucial necessities, due to funding concerns and the limited size of the facility, so we do not exactly have the spending power or shipping ability for much else. But if the Corporation wishes for it to became a full-fledged colony, then I suspect that rapid growth would be a very clear outcome with the job opportunities that come along with such an expansion and the wealth that quite a sizeable portion of its current residents have stored up. Of course, you are probably wondering what the likelihood of all this happening is…I cannot be certain but there are always possibilities if it can be justified to the chair.

“And lastly, concerning interactions and our benefiting from those same interactions with other nations,” he briefly cleared his throat before continuing. “The Corporation already maintains an allied status with the Austar Union through the Concordat of Phoenix and other assorted mutual treaties and with the Caloris Basin through the Non-Democratic Alliance. Cordial relations already exist through Tiburon, though those ought to be improved in the future. But as for the remaining nations here, aside from Largent, we have been on rather unfriendly terms with them, some have brought the ire of our population and our leaders down upon them and have earned derecognition, others we simply try to avoid if at all possible. Understandably, you may have concerns that this would increase the risks of a war or other disaster on Mercury, but I assure you that we have not warred against any of them in the past and have no desire to do so. These sorts of things are best left alone through mutual avoidance.

“As for Largent, the Corporation would wish to do the same as it has for any other nation it initially meets in this way: open dialogue between the two nations’ leaders, perhaps a means of understanding one another’s culture by means of student exchanges or even something like a mutually beneficial project that we both can cooperate together on, establishing trade routes and the border issues concerning that, or other similar ideas. We have no real desire to run headfirst into these things as it can easily burn either party if something were to go awry, so we prefer to take it easy before anything more serious and long-lasting. Overall, our intentions are to simply gain friendship with another nation, find an area in which they are weak and help them strengthen it - or alternatively, perhaps they can do the same for us - and through that, peace and security for both of us.”

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates