NATION

PASSWORD

Wordsmith's Guild (Writing Organization)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Delmonte
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Wordsmith's Guild (Writing Organization)

Postby Delmonte » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:04 pm

The Wordsmith's Guild is an Out of Character organization dedicated to bringing good writers together and creating more opportunities for high quality writing. While there is certainly an educational/training aspect of the Wordsmith's Guild, this is not to say that anyone can join as an Apprentice. We do not intend to turn bad writers into good writers; we intend to turn good writers into excellent writers. This is not because we do not wish them to develop into citizens of our forum; we do, it is merely because in order to develop less proficient writers, we would have to take time out of our quality writing to write with them. Whereas, with writers who already know a thing or two, we can educate and write without hesitation at the same time. To use a metaphor, of which NSers are notoriously fond, a blacksmith may be bothered to refine iron into steel so that he can work with it, but he can't be expected to dig the stuff out of the ground.

A small logistics note, as it stands, this thread will be our Membership Thread. That may change in the future, but for now, applications should be submitted here. Our IRC is #DeepEnd

What is your favorite book? Why?
Who is your favorite author? Why?
Who is one prominent NSer you would like to be more like? And, obviously, provide the obligatory explanation as to why.
How do you believe we should incorporate numbers, such as population and military specifications, into roleplaying?
What is your favorite kind of roleplay?
How would you describe your grammar, spelling, and other technical writing skills?
What do you like most about NationStates' roleplaying community?
What annoys you the most about Nationstates' roleplaying community? (This field is mandatory, Big Brother is watching)
In your writing, how do you account for the fact that NationStates is unrealistically enormous with ambiguous geography?
What makes someone a model citizen of our forums?

You must submit at a minimum three sample posts to be considered. More would certainly be warranted. They ought to be your best writing. If you wish, you can ask for a Master to give you a prompt and one will be provided.

Guild Membership

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Our Mission Statement

The Wordsmith’s Guild has three purposes listed here in order of importance:

1: Generate high quality writing opportunities for its members.
2: Assist members with enhancing their image and prestige within NationStates’ writing community.
3: Train promising writers to not only become excellent writers, but to become model members of the forums.

Guild Conventions

Preamble Regarding Legal Theory: The Guild is a two-tiered structure where leadership on the upper tier is completely flat. It is notable that in order for a motion or function to pass, it must acquire a majority of all active Masters regardless of whether or not they vote. Therefore it is reasonable to summarize the Guild Conventions as having a “No until proven yes” mentality. They are structured to encourage writing, as is natural.

Article One: Membership will be composed of two types of members: Masters and Apprentices.
Section A: Masters are members who are recognized as having achieved excellence in writing while Apprentices are writers who, though still promising, have not achieved their full potential.

Section B:
Masters are expected to be available to mentor at least one apprentice as part of their responsibilities as Masters.

Section C: Apprentices may put their names forward to become masters after a month of training under a Master. They shall do this by announcing as such in the forum and submitting a piece of their best quality work to be judged by the Masters. Their Master is encouraged to explain why he feels his Apprentice is ready or not ready. Apprentices do not have to submit themselves after a month has elapsed, that is merely their first opportunity. All Masters in the Guild will then vote on their acceptance for five days. In order for an Apprentice to advance they must have a majority of all active Masters agree. Therefore silence or abstentions from active Masters count as negative votes.

Section D: The relationship between a Master and his Apprentice is like that between a teacher and a pupil. Apprentices do not take “orders” from their Master, the Master is simply responsible for their advancement insofar as they can assist.

Article Two: Voting shall be conducted by all Masters in the Guild. All issues, unless stated otherwise, require a majority of active Masters and all issues, unless stated otherwise, can be proposed by any Master.
Section A: Only active Masters may vote on issues.

Section B: In the event of a tie, the tie breaks in favor of however the Censor voted. Note that if the Censor abstained or did not vote, this counts as a negative vote for the purposes of this rule.

Article Three: A Censor shall be elected every other month to review the list of Masters for activity for voting purposes.
Section A: The Censor is responsible for maintaining a list, to be updated with a post on the forum every other week, of Masters’ voting eligibility.

Section B: The Censor, if no-one volunteers, is responsible for acting as Defense in cases against Guild members where the accused are absent.

Section C: The Censor may be removed from office. In order for this to be accomplished, a Master must issue the challenge against the Censor in the forums and two thirds of all Masters (regardless of activity status) must agree in order to remove the Censor. The Censor cannot vote on this issue and is temporarily not regarded as part of the voting pool.

Section D: The first term of Censor will be filled by Delmonte for the sake of convenience and organization.

Article Four: Masters and Apprentices alike both have responsibilities within the Guild.
Section A: Masters are responsible for maintaining at least one active thread for Guild members only. These threads ought to be open to all Guild members. Masters are also expected to participate in at least one other such thread run by another Master.

Section B: Apprentices are expected to participate in at least two threads run by Masters.

Section C: “Participating in a thread” entails being active in that thread, as interpreted by the Censor. But as a general guideline, regular posting in a thread is regarded as participating. Obviously a member cannot be expected to double post, however, so these requirements should be rather flexible.

Section D: Masters and Apprentices alike are expected to have a high quality In Character post on the forums at a minimum of once every thirty days.

Section E: If a Master does not uphold these tenets, they shouldn't incur punishment or ejection, but they should be considered inactive for voting purposes by the Censor. They are still allowed to participate in Guild threads, obviously.

Article Five: In order for someone to become a member, they must submit themselves in the Membership Forum.
Section A: In order for their application to be voted on, they must submit three examples of posts for judgment.

Section B: Starting with the date that they submitted their application, all active Masters will vote publicly in the Membership Thread as to the applicant’s status for seven days, until a majority of all active Masters has been achieved, or until all active Masters have voted. There are four kinds of votes:
“Yes; Master”. This type of vote means that the Master who cast it thinks that not only should the applicant be accepted, but that they should be accepted as a Master.
“Yes; Apprentice”. This type of vote means that the Master who cast it thinks that the applicant should be accepted as an Apprentice.
“No”. This vote means that the Master thinks that the applicant should not be accepted. Note that if the “Yes”’s outweigh the “No”’s, then every “No” will count as a vote of “Apprentice” for purposes of determining the Applicant’s membership status.
Silence, Abstention, or an unclear vote. For all intents and purposes, these votes count as “No”’s.

Article Six: Masters or Apprentices accused of conduct unbecoming of the Guild or against the spirit of the Guild shall be given a trial on the Internet Relay Chat channel, #DeepEnd. Any member may accuse any other member. The accused member shall pick a date and time that occurs within two weeks of the time that he or she is accused, but no sooner than three days after. If they do not do this within three days of when they are accused, the Censor shall appoint a day that meets the aforementioned requirement. The trial shall last three hours or until both sides agree to stop, whichever comes first.
Section A: Any Masters or Apprentices may attend the trial. Anyone may ask questions or make observations, but voting on matters of Guilt will be left to Masters only.

Section B: The Masters who are present must choose to agree with either the accuser or the accused. If they agree with the accuser, the accused is expelled from the Guild and cannot reapply for ten weeks. If the consensus is that they agree with the accused that no wrong has been done, the accuser is expelled from the Guild and cannot reapply for ten weeks. The only time that someone will not be expelled is if there is a tie, in which case the trial is a wash and is thrown out.

Section C: The Censor is responsible for aiding in the defense of any accused Member. He shall not have a vote in trials.
Last edited by Delmonte on Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:27 am, edited 11 times in total.
[15:35] <Tag> I have a big, heavy sealed box that I have no idea what is in side of it.
[15:35] <Tag> I can only presume it is treasure.
The Batorys wrote:The Delmontese like money, yeah, but they also like to throw down.

<Delmonte> I don't mean literally kill their family. I mean kill their metaphorical family.
<Delmonte> Metaphorically kill their metaphorical family.
Code: Select all
 [b][color=#0000FF][background=red]United in Opposition to [url=http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?t=303025]Liberate Haven[/url][/background][/color][/b]
[color=#FF0000][b]Mallorea and Riva should [url=http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=303090]resign[/url][/b][/color]

The man from Delmonte says yes.

Delmonte
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Reserved

Postby Delmonte » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:04 pm

Reserved.
[15:35] <Tag> I have a big, heavy sealed box that I have no idea what is in side of it.
The Batorys wrote:The Delmontese like money, yeah, but they also like to throw down.

<Delmonte> I don't mean literally kill their family. I mean kill their metaphorical family.
 [b][color=#0000FF][background=red]United in Opposition to [url=http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?t=303025]Liberate Haven[/url][/background][/color][/b]
[color=#FF0000][b]Mallorea and Riva should [url=http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=303090]resign[/url][/b][/color]

The Order of Takhisis
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 26, 2011
Mother Knows Best State

Postby The Order of Takhisis » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:36 pm

What is your favorite book? I am particularly fond of the 1760 series by Eric Flint.
Why? I've always been fond of alternate histories, the fantasy aspect of such and the realities of building history and people that way.

Who is your favorite author? Harry Turtledove
Why? I really like his character development. It's very indepth.

Who is one prominent NSer you would like to be more like? New Azura
And, obviously, provide the obligatory explanation as to why. Her writing is great, and the detail given to character interaction. I'm really trying to improve on that and when I read her work, it sometimes influences me with directions I could go.

How do you believe we should incorporate numbers, such as population and military specifications, into roleplaying? I'm not really into ORBAT's which seem to crop up a lot in military aspects of role-play. I believe through consensus and realistic force projection based on your nation and what is called for should be applied.

What is your favorite kind of roleplay? I prefer character based, but am not above campaign or national play.

How would you describe your grammar, spelling, and other technical writing skills? Average. I do attempt to use spellchecker as much as possible.

What do you like most about NationStates' roleplaying community? The community portion of it.

What annoys you the most about Nationstates' roleplaying community? Some aspects of particular niches seem to be very withdrawn and not very friendly to outsiders. I think this is a disservice to NS overall and it creates stagnation.

In your writing, how do you account for the fact that NationStates is unrealistically enormous with ambiguous geography? I think of NS itself as a Nexus and that every region is essentially a fractal earth realm.

What makes someone a model citizen of our forums? Participation and the ability to evolve as a player. There is always someone better to learn from, to adapt to your own style. Someone who accepts this, I see as a model citizen.

Three Samples of work:
1: viewtopic.php?p=12575569#p12575569
2: viewtopic.php?p=7472026#p7472026
3: viewtopic.php?p=18893885#p18893885

Delmonte
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Delmonte » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:22 pm

The Order of Takhisis wrote:
What is your favorite book? I am particularly fond of the 1760 series by Eric Flint.
Why? I've always been fond of alternate histories, the fantasy aspect of such and the realities of building history and people that way.

Who is your favorite author? Harry Turtledove
Why? I really like his character development. It's very indepth.

Who is one prominent NSer you would like to be more like? New Azura
And, obviously, provide the obligatory explanation as to why. Her writing is great, and the detail given to character interaction. I'm really trying to improve on that and when I read her work, it sometimes influences me with directions I could go.

How do you believe we should incorporate numbers, such as population and military specifications, into roleplaying? I'm not really into ORBAT's which seem to crop up a lot in military aspects of role-play. I believe through consensus and realistic force projection based on your nation and what is called for should be applied.

What is your favorite kind of roleplay? I prefer character based, but am not above campaign or national play.

How would you describe your grammar, spelling, and other technical writing skills? Average. I do attempt to use spellchecker as much as possible.

What do you like most about NationStates' roleplaying community? The community portion of it.

What annoys you the most about Nationstates' roleplaying community? Some aspects of particular niches seem to be very withdrawn and not very friendly to outsiders. I think this is a disservice to NS overall and it creates stagnation.

In your writing, how do you account for the fact that NationStates is unrealistically enormous with ambiguous geography? I think of NS itself as a Nexus and that every region is essentially a fractal earth realm.

What makes someone a model citizen of our forums? Participation and the ability to evolve as a player. There is always someone better to learn from, to adapt to your own style. Someone who accepts this, I see as a model citizen.

Three Samples of work:
1: viewtopic.php?p=12575569#p12575569
2: viewtopic.php?p=7472026#p7472026
3: viewtopic.php?p=18893885#p18893885

Takhisis' ability is beyond doubt and we would be honored to have her as a member. Therefore I vote: Yes; Master.

The Batorys
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Batorys » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:33 pm

Takhisis should clearly be a master (mistress? :p )
Mallorea and Riva should resign
This is an alternate history version of Callisdrun.
Here is the (incomplete) Factbook
Ask me about The Forgotten Lands!
Pro: Feminism, environmentalism, BLM, LGBTQUILTBAG, BDSM, unions, hyphy, Lenin, Ho Chi Minh, Oakland, old San Francisco, the Alliance to Restore the Republic, and fully automated gay luxury space communism
Anti: Misogyny, fossil fuels, racism, homophobia, kink-shaming, capitalism, LA, Silicon Valley, techies, Brezhnev, the Galactic Empire, and the "alt-right"

Xirnium
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 01, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Xirnium » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:36 pm

I agree with Delmonte and The Batorys. I want to also compliment you on your application answers and on the writing which you’ve shared with us.

Renor Xukuth
Envoy

Founded: Oct 03, 2007
Father Knows Best State

Postby Renor Xukuth » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:17 am

We agree with the other established masters on the general feeling towards this applicant. Our own experiences with Takhisis have always been fruitful and fun. She has a great personality, and is completely silly, but serious when she needs to be and her play style represents such. Whom else would think to use giant floating airships, or infantry knights in this day and age?

We support her ascension to the status of " Master ", so that others may benefit.

It's not that we do not love you as a people, we love how your people taste, how they bleed. It's just that you are not our equals and never will be.

The Church of Starry Wisdom
Secretary

Founded: Feb 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Church of Starry Wisdom » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:32 am

What is your favorite book?: Grimorium Verum
Why? It's crazy really. Talks about black magic and the rituals, cults, and more that took place, or still do. I find it fascinating and it sort of helped me build the foundation of my nation.

Who is your favorite author? Henry Cornelius Agrippa
Why? Alot of his work is documentary like, and informative. I dont probably read as much as I should, but I enjoy books that showcase information in a way that is enjoyable.

Who is one prominent NSer you would like to be more like? I've thoroughly enjoyed my time with Renor Xukuth.
Why? They are completely crazy, but excellent at portraying a sort of forbidden world, and I can learn from that I think.

How do you believe we should incorporate numbers, such as population and military specifications, into roleplaying? If the shoe fits. Seriously I'm not a numbers person at all, but I do believe there should be an arrangement beforehand or common sense maybe of how many is just right and is to much.

What is your favorite kind of roleplay? I prefer character based interactions.

How would you describe your grammar, spelling, and other technical writing skills? Decent. I'm by no means the greatest, and I come from humble roots being iRc role-play. I employ spell check, and I really am trying to cut down on my run on sentences.

What do you like most about NationStates' roleplaying community? There's just so much of it, niches and mainstreams collaborating for stories.

What annoys you the most about Nationstates' roleplaying community? There also appears to be not a lot of education going on towards depth and detial. A lot of it seems to be one liner, missile spam, I HAZ NUKE, and pictures in place of words.

In your writing, how do you account for the fact that NationStates is unrealistically enormous with ambiguous geography? Fractal earth is the best way I've seen it described and that's pretty much how I see it myself.

What makes someone a model citizen of our forums? Respect given and earned. Do unto others as you would wish of them to do. If you can do that, your a champ already, or as you say a model citizen.

Role-Play Links:
A) viewtopic.php?p=18523366#p18523366
B) http://tlin.proboards.com/post/3614
C) http://tlin.proboards.com/post/3615

-The West Coast-
Minister

Founded: Dec 17, 2010
Democratic Socialists

Postby -The West Coast- » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:45 am

+ + + THE WEST COAST'S APPLICATION FOR THE WORDSMITH'S GUILD + + +

What is your favorite book? Why? Bloods (Stories from Black Vietnam War Veterans). A true recollection of a dozen men. They tell their own war stories without censor and don't hold back on issues of race, creed or religion. Their unique experiences blend together a sense of abandonment they must have felt fighting for a nation that didn't truly love them as much as they loved it. The book also helps educate the reader about untold issues the US military had during desegregation in the 1960s and 1970s.

Who is your favorite author? Why? Cormac McCarthy because of his wonderful book, "Blood Meridian" and his unique writing style. He also loads the smallest sentences with the largest meanings and really makes you think, instead of just reading back the words on the page. He's one of the most violent and grisly authors around, holding nothing back subject wise while also bringing deep meaning to even the goriest of scenes; which is something not many authors can do.

Who is one prominent NSer you would like to be more like? I've always been fond of Jenrak and Ozymos (having known them both for years) but the person I always looked up to was Amazonian Beasts. He helped me out daily in #NSSanctuary and loved the NS community even after he left. I'd love to be as good as he was one day.

How do you believe we should incorporate numbers, such as population and military specifications, into roleplaying? I honestly try to avoid incorporating these sort of things. It's not as integral to the story, in my opinion, so I often try to avoid going into depth IC'ly about numbers.

What is your favorite kind of roleplay? Squad-based character RP that focuses on 1 or 2 main characters at most. I can do larger scale RP's but they're often out of my comfort zone.

How would you describe your grammar, spelling, and other technical writing skills? I'd say my spelling and grammar skills are pretty swell, although I do occasionally struggle with apostrophe and semi-colon placement.

What do you like most about NationStates' roleplaying community? Honestly the creativity hundreds of different players bring to the table. I love seeing new, original ideas forming every day and coming to fruition here in II.

What annoys you the most about Nationstates' roleplaying community?
The most annoying thing about the RP'ing community is its lack of cohesion and support for one another. I'm an inhabitant of #NSSanctuary and #NSLegion and I've seen plenty of push-back against the proposition of helping new players harness their writing potential. I always found it annoying and arrogant and tried to set myself apart.

In your writing, how do you account for the fact that NationStates is unrealistically enormous with ambiguous geography? I usually try to mimic real-world geography that I am familiar with in all of my roleplays.

What makes someone a model citizen of our forums? A model citizen is someone who doesn't shy away from criticism (positive or negative) and really works towards a community or personal goal that is beneficial to themselves or others at the same time. They don't necessarily have to have an impeccable Moderation history, but they do have to have a good attitude and good social skills.

Last edited by -The West Coast- on Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
// THE GRAND OLD CONFEDERACY OF THE WEST COAST //

"There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men."
— Edmund Burke; Reflections on the Revolution in France

Delmonte
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Delmonte » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:36 am

The Church of Starry Wisdom wrote: *snip*

I want to preface by saying that I sympathize with you. You are a good writer with a low post count. I was thus not so long ago. People will discriminate wrongly against you for that, make no mistake. I am proud to say that I will not do that. I enjoyed the interactions between your characters. It was like a form of verbal dueling. Very nice. I have no doubt that you have a place in this Guild. Now, the only question is whether I think you should be a Master or an Apprentice. I found enough comma-related errors (see spoiler for an example) to concern me. What's more, I think your narration could be a bit ambiguous at times (see other spoiler). Therefore, I vote that you should join us as an Apprentice. Please note that not everyone will be able to join our ranks, even as an Apprentice. You will (if the other Masters agree) have entered an exclusive group. I look forward to writing with you and I believe that under the continued guidance of Xukuth you will be voting on applications with me shortly. ;) That being said, let's make sure we keep things more PC when we're on the NS forums, hm? I'm not particularly enamored with the sexual bits on the offsite forum, but everything else was nice and as long as it's not on NS it isn't actionable. And given that the ones on the offsite were converted from IRC roleplay and were therefore a little... difficult to decipher at times, I'm basing my vote more off of the post that was on NationStates.

"However the look in her counterpart's eyes said something else."

"Coincidentally, hers alone was a fair assessment of the situation at hand. Thrana and Hirana, together, on a plane, with the pilot sealed inside the cockpit, travelling to an unknown nation known for it's complete strangeness and somewhat archaic culture that was even now crossing into the modern nights."

These are not exhaustive examples of what I found, but your writing is still excellent. It does nobody any good if I sit here and pick apart your writing, which you were already kind (and not to mention plucky) enough to display in public. If you'd like more constructive feedback, I'd be comfortable to provide it in private, regardless of whether or not you wind up becoming a member.

-The West Coast- wrote:*snip*

I vote no.

EDIT: Also, according to the rules, Takhisis has been admitted. In fact, she was admitted before either of these two applications were submitted, so her vote counts towards the majority on each.
Last edited by Delmonte on Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:16 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Renor Xukuth
Envoy

Father Knows Best State

Postby Renor Xukuth » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:39 am

On the topic of Starry Wisdom;
We would support the placement of Starry into the apprenticeship. This is actually the area we had mentioned previously to him and he seemed most amicable towards such as not believing himself quite worthy of the status and role of being a mentor if you will of those to come.

Concerning The West Coast;
We also share a general dislike for the cutting, though we've no personal history with it's effects unlike our compatriot. That aside, the samples provided are interesting but not eye grabbing other than the one for the aforementioned cutting.

Eye grabbing is not representative of skill though we feel, plenty of writers out there are reliable if bland in style. More support authors than anything else. If anything we enjoy the attitude that you represent concerning new players.

For that we give a vote of yes, with the belief of apprenticeship as the appropriate role should our fellows agree or disagree.
Last edited by Renor Xukuth on Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

It's not that we do not love you as a people, we love how your people taste, how they bleed. It's just that you are not our equals and never will be.

-The West Coast-
Minister

Democratic Socialists

Postby -The West Coast- » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:25 pm

"There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men."

Delmonte
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Delmonte » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:34 pm

That's more like it. I change my vote to yes. But I agree with Xukuth that you should go through an apprenticeship period. At very worst you'd have the right to participate in RP's with excellent writers. I advise you to look at the minimum month of apprenticeship as an evaluation period that you can use to determine how much time you are willing to put into this Guild. And, after all, it's only a month and during that month you would presumably be writing with us. I intend to get a Guild RP up within the next couple days and you'd obviously be welcome to join that if the other Masters agree with Xukuth and myself.
Last edited by Delmonte on Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Church of Starry Wisdom
Secretary

Founded: Feb 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Church of Starry Wisdom » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:57 pm

I'm more than down with being an apprentice. I'd like to get some experience in, more than I am currently with Xukuth's thread.

Machina Haruspex
Minister

Founded: Jan 13, 2005
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Machina Haruspex » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:21 pm

Accruing Xukuth's endorsement is not easily done, and that Starry Wisdom has such, means that the duo has seen something in him. Therefore I'm willing to vote " aye " on his placement into the apprenticeship.

Also in regards to The West Coast, I was leaning towards a definitive " nay " until I saw the other works. This has changed my vote to " Aye ", and I agree that time in the apprenticeship is a good idea.
Ranked 100th in the world for Economic Output
Ranked 115th in the world for Safety
Marshite Military Assessment: VI

-The West Coast-
Minister

Democratic Socialists

Postby -The West Coast- » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:58 pm

Machina Haruspex wrote:Accruing Xukuth's endorsement is not easily done, and that Starry Wisdom has such, means that the duo has seen something in him. Therefore I'm willing to vote " aye " on his placement into the apprenticeship.

Also in regards to The West Coast, I was leaning towards a definitive " nay " until I saw the other works. This has changed my vote to " Aye ", and I agree that time in the apprenticeship is a good idea.

So, am I in?

Delmonte
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Delmonte » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:14 am

-The West Coast- wrote:
Machina Haruspex wrote:Accruing Xukuth's endorsement is not easily done, and that Starry Wisdom has such, means that the duo has seen something in him. Therefore I'm willing to vote " aye " on his placement into the apprenticeship.

So, am I in?

Three out of six active Masters have voted for you. You need one more vote within the next four days.

The Order of Takhisis
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 26, 2011
Mother Knows Best State

Postby The Order of Takhisis » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:59 am

Starry: I rather like your play, while it does need a bit of sprucing up in some areas. I think the willingness to become an apprentice, and to build your presence is a great idea. I vote " aye " on your application.

The West Coast: Much like my comrades, your earlier work was going to earn a big fat nuh uh from me. However, the other works you posted, was much, much better. Therefore, I vote " aye " on your application, should you pursue an apprentice route.

Delmonte
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Delmonte » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:18 am

The Wordsmith's Guild

Admission

After the due deliberations and voting, a majority of the Masters of the Wordsmith's Guild have decided to invite The Church of Starry Wisdom as well as -The West Coast- to join our ranks as apprentices. Each of you will be given a list of Masters who volunteer to take you as their apprentice within the week and you will choose your Master from that list. Upon beginning your Apprenticeship with your selected Master, after one month you will have the right to apply to become a Master. This does not mean that after one month you are guaranteed to become a Master, nor does it mean that after one month you are required to apply. If you apply and are denied, there are no repercussions, but you'll have to wait at least another month before applying again.

During your apprenticeship you are expected to write with us, particularly with your chosen Master. Now, you suffer from the fact that we are a new organization and are still getting writing up for us to participate in. To that end, I will have a Wordsmith's Guild roleplay up tonight. Given that, as a Master, you'll be expected to run a thread that is for Wordsmith's Guild members exclusively, it would not be unwise to host a Wordsmith's Guild roleplay while you are an apprentice, thereby demonstrating that you are already capable of fulfilling one of the requirements of being a Master.

Regards,
Delmonte; Steward Among Equals
"Maintaining a Standard of Excellence."

New Azura
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 22, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby New Azura » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:36 pm

1. What is your favorite book? Why?
Though my personal preference waxes differently from time to time, I have several novels / novellas and short stories that remain. The most prominent novel I could mention, and by far the one that has had the most profound impact would be Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, or The Modern Prometheus. A close runner-up would be Thomas Keneally's Schindler's Ark, which I first read in fifth-grade. Both are outstanding works within their respective genres and literary eras, but I would have to credit Shelley with influencing the style I poorly try to emulate, so I would give the nod to her work.

2. Who is your favorite author? Why?
Mm, again, this comes down to a select group of writers who have had a profound impact on me, both while I was an English major in school, and then as I dabbled in my own writing. Thomas Keneally, Elie Wiesel, Harry Turtledove, and Albert Camus. But I think once more I'll select Mary Shelley, because her writing just resonates the most.

3. Who is one prominent NSer you would like to be more like? [And, obviously, provide the obligatory explanation as to why.]
If we're talking about sheer qualities as a human being, that's easy: Storm Gard. He is without a doubt the best writer and friend I have had over my time in NationStates, with due respect to Ozymos. As far as writing goes, there are plenty who I could look to as inspirations or influences, but my personal belief is that too many people emulate others as is, and refuse to develop their own styles and trappings. The longer that phenomenon exists, the worse off our we'll be.

4. How do you believe we should incorporate numbers, such as population and military specifications, into roleplaying?
Matters of 'numbers' should be left to the discretion of the roleplayers in each individual circumstance. Some nations enjoy roleplaying realistically, whereas others utilize the medium to expand their creative efforts and create world-sized countries (commiserate with real life Earth, of course) for the edification of their creative desires. It should be handled by like-minded players with respect to each roleplay and/or region, versus any common consensus that invalidates an entire segment of the community.

5. What is your favorite kind of roleplay?
Anything character-driven resonates with me the most. It's too easy to throw numbers around in a war story as if we were gods and goddesses moving chess pieces. It's something else to get inside the head of a character and breathe life into it for other people to read and enjoy.

6. How would you describe your grammar, spelling, and other technical writing skills?
Car crashes are more eloquent than my grammatical skills.

7. What do you like most about NationStates' roleplaying community?
The community itself is the draw, to me; the vibrancy of the writing, the attention to detail, the creativity that transcends age groups and national borders... having such a diverse, eclectic assortment of writers from all over the world, capturing so many genres is just a wonderful, gratifying experience.

8. What annoys you the most about Nationstates' roleplaying community? (This field is mandatory, Big Brother is watching)
We have a term for this in my circle of friends and acquaintances: 'Loldrama'. Any time people lose sight of the fact that our community is meant for fun and cooperation degrade the quality of the experience and the fun of being here. This is one reason why I have generally abstained from all measure of competitive roleplaying. As a rule, nine times out of ten, competitive roleplays end with arguing and retconning, and that is under the best of circumstances.

9. In your writing, how do you account for the fact that NationStates is unrealistically enormous with ambiguous geography?
To be honest, I hand-wave it away if and when I can, for it has little impact on my stories anyhow. Because so much of my work is driven towards characters and their internal struggles, I have never often found a need to consider the complexities of the larger roleplaying world and how its intricacies vary from person to person, nation to nation, region to region, etc.

10. What makes someone a model citizen of our forums?
I have criteria that I use to determine whether someone is a model citizen of the forums. They have to love writing or creating worlds, for this is why this community of writers exists. They must be respectful of other people, and desire to work together to create stories, not against other people or to destroy fictional creations. They have to always be cognizant of the fact that NationStates is for fun, and not a competition to 'win' or dominate in. And most of all, they have to respect the fact that, no matter how great they think they are, there's probably someone out there better than them, and that as long as they acknowledge this fact and act with respect and humility in the face of criticism or concern, they're gold.

Roleplay Links (More Available Upon Request):
1. Pandæmonium
2. The Daughter of Tsyion
3. Inamorata Velum
Last edited by New Azura on Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
THEEVENGUARDOFAZURA
UNFIOREPERILCOLOSSO

FRIEND OF KRAVEN (2005-2023)KRAVEN PREVAILS!18 YEARS OF STORIES DELETED

THEDOMINIONOFTHEAZURANS
CAPITAL:RAEVENNADEMONYM:AZURGOVERNMENT:SYNDICAL REPUBLICLANGUAGE:AZURI

Her Graceful Excellence the Phaedra
CALIXTEIMARAUDER
By the Grace of the Lord God, the Daughter of Tsyion, Spirited Maiden, First Matron of House Vardanyan
Imperatrix of the Evenguard of Azura and Sovereign Over Her Dependencies, the Governess of Isaura
and the Defender of the Children of Azura

— Controlled Nations —
Artemis Noir, Dragua Sevua, Grand Ventana, Hanasaku, New Azura, Nova Secta and Xiahua

— Other Supported Regions —
Esvanovia (P/MT), Teremara (P/MT), The Local Cluster (FT)

— Roleplay Tech Levels —
[PT][MT][PMT][FT][FanT]

Renor Xukuth
Envoy

Father Knows Best State

Postby Renor Xukuth » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:05 am

We of course support the entry of New Azura into the ranks of the Wordsmiths. Her work speaks for itself time and time again. Not to mention she is probably one of the nicer peoples we have encountered, though such has been limited admittedly.

-The West Coast-
Minister

Democratic Socialists

Postby -The West Coast- » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:56 pm

Are apprentices allowed to vote?

New Azura
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 22, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby New Azura » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:19 pm

I know this is kind of... well, stupid of me to say, but I'm going to have to withdraw my application for consideration at this time—a new record for Azura flakeyness to be certain. I'm dealing with a personal issue right now that I need to resolve, and I don't want to cause any undue trouble or foster perceptions or implications towards anyone or any group. For the time being, I wish everyone well in this endeavor, and I hope that everything goes well. But please, let it be known that the problem lies with me.
THEEVENGUARDOFAZURA
UNFIOREPERILCOLOSSO

FRIEND OF KRAVEN (2005-2023)KRAVEN PREVAILS!18 YEARS OF STORIES DELETED

THEDOMINIONOFTHEAZURANS
CAPITAL:RAEVENNADEMONYM:AZURGOVERNMENT:SYNDICAL REPUBLICLANGUAGE:AZURI

Her Graceful Excellence the Phaedra
CALIXTEIMARAUDER
By the Grace of the Lord God, the Daughter of Tsyion, Spirited Maiden, First Matron of House Vardanyan
Imperatrix of the Evenguard of Azura and Sovereign Over Her Dependencies, the Governess of Isaura
and the Defender of the Children of Azura

— Controlled Nations —
Artemis Noir, Dragua Sevua, Grand Ventana, Hanasaku, New Azura, Nova Secta and Xiahua

— Other Supported Regions —
Esvanovia (P/MT), Teremara (P/MT), The Local Cluster (FT)

— Roleplay Tech Levels —
[PT][MT][PMT][FT][FanT]

Xirnium
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 01, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Xirnium » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:19 pm

I am sorry to hear that you are withdrawing your application, New Azura. You are a fine writer and I feel you have a (master’s) place in this group. I hope you will resubmit your application once whatever personal issues you have are out of the way. Consider this a standing vote in your favour.

Alem-Tejo
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Alem-Tejo » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:06 am

Can i apply without being an english native speaker?

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents