NATION

PASSWORD

Oklahoma Restaurant: Not white, straight & rich? Screw you.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Tekania » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:58 pm

Baader-Meinhof Gruppe wrote:Seems like he gets plenty of bad reviews already, wouldn't be surprised if he was a massive welfare queen.

That's okay, he's likely to do what they businesses around here to and just blame Obama (even when their competition is still making money hand over fist).
Such heroic nonsense!

San
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 20, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby San » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:59 pm

San wrote:
Bezombia wrote:
I'm glad you feel that way. I can't even count the amount of times DLN's changed my carefully thought out 60-character-or-less titles.

kinda odd, since a single swear word is nowhere near enough to break the pg13 rule, and no other mods give a fuck in any other situation. I wonder what makes DLN care so much about protecting schoolchildren's innocent, pure eyes from the dangers of a solitary, lone f-word.

hi nerv
i trust you can answer this?
足跡たどる、出血血液ライン

私は人間で私より私はより良い幽霊だと思います

-The Unified Earth Governments-
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby -The Unified Earth Governments- » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:02 pm

The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:
-The Unified Earth Governments- wrote:As a aspergers joke and a fat one?

Well, I'm not XL but I would wear it, I have seen better though :|

No you haven't

Well now that there is context, that is funny :P
FactbookHistoryColoniesEmbassy Program V.IIUNSC Navy (WIP)InfantryAmmo Mods
/// A.N.N. \\\
News - 10/27/2558: Deglassing of Reach is going smoother than expected. | First prototype laser rifle is beginning experimentation. | The Sangheili Civil War is officially over, Arbiter Thel'Vadam and his Swords of Sanghelios have successfully eliminated remaining Covenant cells on Sanghelios. | President Ruth Charet to hold press meeting within the hour on the end of the Sangheili Civil War. | The Citadel Council official introduces the Unggoy as a member of the Citadel.

The Most Important Issue Result - "Robosexual marriages are increasingly common."

OMGeverynameistaken
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby OMGeverynameistaken » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:21 pm

I would like to go to that restaurant and order a nice big meal, chat up my waiter, and then, when the bill arrived, stand up and belt out the national anthem of the USSR (English lyrics, of course,) kiss the nearest man, shout "praise Allah!" and slap a "Clinton 2016" pin on.

See if they still want my money then.
I AM DISAPPOINTED

The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:23 pm

OMGeverynameistaken wrote:I would like to go to that restaurant and order a nice big meal, chat up my waiter, and then, when the bill arrived, stand up and belt out the national anthem of the USSR (English lyrics, of course,) kiss the nearest man, shout "praise Allah!" and slap a "Clinton 2016" pin on.

I don't know what race or color you are, but you'd probably leave with the face of a bloated smurf.
Founder of the Church of Ass.

No Homo.
TET sex chat link
Neo Art wrote:
The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:Ironic ain't it, now there really IS 47% of the country that feels like victims.

........fuck it, you win the internet.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:24 pm

Bezombia wrote:
Gallup wrote:Look, I am man enough to know when I am wrong. It is good to have doubts, however. Still, you seem to be right. Now, let's get back to the topic.

If he's actively stopping gays from entering than the free market will decide that they don't want to go their, and he will go out of business.

If that were true, why didn't it happen 42 years ago?

Also, the recently added Yelp! pictures for this place are hilarious.

Internet Justice does explain my confusion when I tried to Google Chicaro and got the distinct impression that this was a gay bar, making me wonder if I was reading the article right.

Seriously, Google Chicaro and tell me what you think that place is...
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

OMGeverynameistaken
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby OMGeverynameistaken » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:27 pm

The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:
OMGeverynameistaken wrote:I would like to go to that restaurant and order a nice big meal, chat up my waiter, and then, when the bill arrived, stand up and belt out the national anthem of the USSR (English lyrics, of course,) kiss the nearest man, shout "praise Allah!" and slap a "Clinton 2016" pin on.

I don't know what race or color you are, but you'd probably leave with the face of a bloated smurf.

Then I could mock them for putting another person on the government dole.
I AM DISAPPOINTED

Blasted Craigs
Ambassador

Founded: May 31, 2012
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Blasted Craigs » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:39 pm

Gallup wrote:Look, I am man enough to know when I am wrong. It is good to have doubts, however. Still, you seem to be right. Now, let's get back to the topic.

If he's actively stopping gays from entering than the free market will decide that they don't want to go their, and he will go out of business.

Except that for 40 plus years he has not gone out of business.
The claim being made is not that racism exists because of the free market.
The claim being made is that the claim (mostly Republicans) make of free market correcting such issues is false.

In other words, the very existence of such a restaurant disproves the idea that the free market, if left alone, will cost a business so much money it will fail if the free market is left to do it's business. Remember, there are enough racist customers to enable such a business to survive and even thrive in a free market economy.

One may wonder, if this is just consumers spending their money as they see fit, what is the harm, right? Well, the harm is in enabling and spreading the message of hate, and in the subversive actions of prodding a racist population to be even more bold and racist than they are, possibly encouraging them to commit acts of terror against any and all they deem "unwanted".

For all those who think that last statement is hogwash and I am overly sensitive, let me posit a scenario. The Islamic brotherhood (a legal social group) opens a restaurant where the sell t-shirts and other memorabilia that espouse hatred and have messages encouraging the use of violence against non Muslims. If you think there is no harm in this mans restaurant, and feel such restaurants are acceptable to maintain a free market with no regulation, and that people should just chill until the "magical free market fairy" corrects the problem on her own, then the McMuslim Happy Restaurant should be fine as well, even if it is located on the same city you live in.

For all the people who feel minorities are just too "sensitive", how many of you would feel comfortable seeing patrons of such a fine establishment walking down the street wearing such articles promising you pain and terror for the color of your skin? Or such patrons wearing t-shirts promising to kill all Christians for being Christian? Not an environment conducive to the pursuit of happiness. But I guess as long as only the pursuit of happiness of minorities are afflicted it is okay, right.
The government in America can best be described with an analogy. The two political parties are two cats, the elite is a rat, power is the cheese, and the common people is the floor. The floor feels two cats can guard the cheese better than one. But the cats fight each other, and the rat makes off with the cheese in glee. The floor cannot leave, and soon both cats serve the rat, because the rat has the all powerful cheese, and gives the cats a small bit of it. So the floor gets crapped on by all three, as they eat the cheese together.

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jul 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:41 pm

Tekania wrote:
San wrote:huffpost isn't so much far left as it is sensationalist celebrity news pandering to every demographic they can think of for ad revenue

I'll agree with this. IF someone posts a huffpo article here, I typically read through it, then start scouring news sites for additional sources before formulating my opinion, as more often than not the huffpo author presents the account edited to their personal bias.... even if I agree with the authors position I look for additional sources.

In this case Huffpo got the name of the restaurant right. Dailykos left the word "club" off because it didn't suit the picture they were trying to paint.

Has anyone checked whether Gary's Chicaros Club is actually a club?
My name is voiced AIL-EE-AIL-EE-AH. My time zone: UTC.

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
: eugenics :
What are the colons meant to convey here?
In my experience Colons usually convey shit

NSG junkie. Getting good shit for free, why would I give it up?

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:42 pm

Goddfuckingdammit, who changed the title!?
Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon...but down this road we've been so many times...
Please, call me Benomia. Post count +14623, founded Oct. 23, 2012.
Sauritican wrote:We've all been spending too much time with Ben
Verdum wrote:Hey girl, is your name Karl Marx? Because your starting an uprising in my lower classes.
Black Hand wrote:New plan is to just make thousands of disposable firearms and dump them out of cargo planes with tiny drag chutes attached.
Spreewerke wrote:The metric system is the only measurement system that truly meters.
Spreewerke wrote:Salt the women, rape the earth.
Equestican wrote:Ben is love, Ben is life.
Sediczja wrote:real eyes realize real lies
I'm a poet. Come read my poems!

San
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 20, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby San » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:42 pm

Bezombia wrote:Goddfuckingdammit, who changed the title!?

nerv, for the same reason dln does
足跡たどる、出血血液ライン

私は人間で私より私はより良い幽霊だと思います

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:42 pm

Ailiailia wrote:Has anyone checked whether Gary's Chicaros Club is actually a club?

The Yelp! reviews are telling me that it's one of the best gay bars in town.
Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon...but down this road we've been so many times...
Verdum wrote:Hey girl, is your name Karl Marx? Because your starting an uprising in my lower classes.
Black Hand wrote:New plan is to just make thousands of disposable firearms and dump them out of cargo planes with tiny drag chutes attached.
Spreewerke wrote:The metric system is the only measurement system that truly meters.

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:44 pm

NERVUN wrote:Sidebar, school use, ya know?

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Tekania » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:51 pm

Well, Yelp is helping advertise Gary's Chicaros as a gay club an eatery. Free Market, meet social networking.
Such heroic nonsense!

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:51 pm

It shouldn't possibly exist, but that also means people aren't reporting the restaurant owner who prides himself on a N-word free zone.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

Orham
Minister

Founded: Feb 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Orham » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:51 pm

Bezombia wrote:So, NSG, what do you think?

1: Do you think that James is justified in turning away "impurities"?
2: Should businesses be able to basically tell anyone who isn't with their specific social pocket to go fuck themselves?
3: Should this business specifically be shut down?
4: Do you agree with Rand Paul's statements about the free market, even though they've been proven wrong in this very article?

1. Nope.
2. If they aren't established and/or run as public accommodations, I won't like it. But that's fine, I don't have to. But if they're established and/or run as public accommodations? Oh, I'll call for legislating against that sort of thing every time.
3. Unless the business begins to be run properly right now, yes.
4. It should be pretty obvious from (2) and (3) that I don't.
Last edited by Orham on Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm female, so please remember to say "she" or "her" when referring to me.

Medical student, aspiring to be a USN sailor. Pass the scalpel, and hooyah!

If I go too far, tell me in a TG and we can talk about it. Really, I care about that.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:53 pm

Tekania wrote:Well, Yelp is helping advertise Gary's Chicaros as a gay club an eatery. Free Market, meet social networking.

The Google thingy when you look the place up, the street view is an empty field.

Really, the internet has kind of gone all out on this cat.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Vareiln
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Vareiln » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:53 pm

-The Unified Earth Governments- wrote:
San wrote:"great whites only"

i'm a hammerhead and i find this offensive

So us Mako's can't enter ourselves?

I have a friend who is a Black Fin, and he finds this disrespectful to deep ocean!

We didn't swim down those rivers because we wanted to do it, we did it to make a statement!

Damn Great Whites, some are okay but many are still to privileged in this country of ours >:|

What's with all this Euphoticentrism, dammit?
Do us Chain Catsharks not matter? Apristurids aren't "Carchariniform" enough for you? Sleeper sharks aren't predatory enough? :roll:
Or, better yet, we can stop focusing strictly on Elasmobranches, and acknowledge the oppression our Holocephalid siblings go through. We need to be more inclusive of all Chondricthyans!

In all seriousness, I am very, very surprised this man has not had his ass sued of off him. Or, according to the "free market fairy"-types, shut down due to lack of demand.
But oh, look at that, it's still standing.

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:56 pm

Bezombia wrote:
NERVUN wrote:Sidebar, school use, ya know?

But hovering the mouse over it shows the whole thing.

Don't fuss about it. Farnhamia obviously saw it and let it be. It's says "screw" not "fuck" I guess.

Schools can use the nationstates game while keeping under-13's away from the forum by simply blocking forum.nationstates.net
Hosting the 'latest threads' info on the forum server should solve the problem altogether. Not much point in showing the latest threads to people who can't use the forum.

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:57 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Tekania wrote:Well, Yelp is helping advertise Gary's Chicaros as a gay club an eatery. Free Market, meet social networking.

The Google thingy when you look the place up, the street view is an empty field.

It's nearby though. Go 'round the corner onto North Grand Ave. West Oxford Ave.
Last edited by AiliailiA on Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:59 pm

Ailiailia wrote:
Bezombia wrote:

But hovering the mouse over it shows the whole thing.

Don't fuss about it. Farnhamia obviously saw it and let it be. It's says "screw" not "fuck" I guess.

Schools can use the nationstates game while keeping under-13's away from the forum by simply blocking forum.nationstates.net
Hosting the 'latest threads' info on the forum server should solve the problem altogether. Not much point in showing the latest threads to people who can't use the forum.

Farn saw it and let it be.

Nerv saw it and changed the title.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:06 pm

Isn't Chicaros spainish ? I think for pea or something.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:10 pm

Ailiailia wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:The Google thingy when you look the place up, the street view is an empty field.

It's nearby though. Go 'round the corner onto North Grand Ave.

I'm starting on North Grand Ave, if I go up to East Oxford and turn left I get an unmarked building or the other end of the empty field. If I go down North Grand I get a depressing row of houses. Which way do I have to go?

Holy crap, I'm asking directions so I can virtually visit a place...

but seriously, where is it?

EDIT: Nevermind, that unmarked run down building IS Chicaros as far as I can tell. Holy shit that's in the middle of nowhere in a terrible building. How does he get any customers, much less just whitey...
Last edited by Cannot think of a name on Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Solaray
Senator

Founded: Jun 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Solaray » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:11 pm

Sounds like a real lovely establishment.
:p
Sig closed for construction.

Est. completion date: Summer 2054

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:11 pm

greed and death wrote:Isn't Chicaros spainish ? I think for pea or something.

To booze it up, I looked it up (that's how I found the other stuff)...so yeah, lacking in a little self awareness...

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General