NATION

PASSWORD

Let's do something with NS2

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Todd McCloud
Senator

Founded: Oct 11, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Let's do something with NS2

Postby Todd McCloud » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:14 am

I was wondering, and hoping if someone like [violet] could answer this for me, but someone in my region brought this note to my attention:

NationStates 2

Hi there. On July 1st, 2009, Jolt closed NationStates 2 and began redirecting all visitors to a different Jolt game.

Earlier, Jolt announced they were taking NS2 down only to retool it, and would bring it back at some indefinite time in the future. But since they've wiped the entire site, not even leaving a News page for updates, this seems unlikely.

I've therefore taken back the domain name. It is, unfortunately, beyond my power to restore the NS2 game: that code belongs to Jolt. But if you would like to return to the original NationStates, now proudly Jolt-free, we would love to have you.

—Max Barry, http://www.nationstates.net

NS2 assistance: ns2support@jolt.co.uk, Jolt's NS2 forum

Please do understand that we, being NS1 players, would love the opportunity to aid in making an NS2 that is better than whatever jolt could regurgitate. I mean, I for one would be willing to do what I could to make this happen, free of charge. And I'm more than certain there are a ton of us players who are good at coding, imaging, writing, ideas, etc that would be able to make this happen, also free of charge. Believe me, us players have often dreamed of being able to help make a different NS, and since it's just sitting there, we could always do something about it.

How about it? And, for any players who can help, how about it?
Last edited by Todd McCloud on Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Your uniform doesn't seem to fit. You're much too alive in it."

"You must be the change you want to see in the world" - Gandhi
"The worst prison would be a closed heart." - Pope John Paul II

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Re: Let's do something with NS2

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:16 am

Any writing or editing, just say the word. ;)
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

Greater Americania
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 02, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Americania » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:16 am

Help all you want, you won't be able to come up with a game as organized as Jolt can.
Federal Republic of Greater Americania: “Liberty, Soveriegnty, Freedom!”
Original Founder of the Nationalist Union
Member of the Santiago Anti-Communist Treaty Organization

Nationalist Republic, governed by the National Republican Party
Economic Left/Right: 2.0, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 6.21
President: Austin Farley
Vice President: John Raimark
Secretary of State: Jason Lee
Secretary of Defense: Shane Tomlinson
Secretary of Federal Security: Ross Ferrell
-Chief of Interior Security Forces: General James Calley
Secretary of Territorial Administration: Brandon Terry
-Governor of Tlozuk: Jarod Harris
-Governor of Comaack: John Fargo
*Territories are foreign nations which have been annexed by the Federal Republic

Todd McCloud
Senator

Postby Todd McCloud » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:18 am

Greater Americania wrote:Help all you want, you won't be able to come up with a game as organized as Jolt can.

What makes jolt the tell-all? We're not as good as jolt?

I really think we can do something with this

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:18 am

Greater Americania wrote:Help all you want, you won't be able to come up with a game as organized as Jolt can.

:eek: Blasphemy!
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

Todd McCloud
Senator

Postby Todd McCloud » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:21 am

I'm sure we have many coders, editors, writers, image makers, etc on this site alone that would make this possible. What other gaming site could say their players made a game? Wouldn't Max like to remove the jolt stigmata and have something that site can be used for? I think this could really work.

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:23 am

I think NS is a community in itself. Because of this, for sure we all of our talents and interests can be used to create a better game for all of us.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Keronians wrote:

Todd McCloud
Senator

Postby Todd McCloud » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:29 am

Buffett and Colbert wrote:I think NS is a community in itself. Because of this, for sure we all of our talents and interests can be used to create a better game for all of us.

Indeed!

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:55 pm

It would be not a good idea to build a NationStates 2 because the original has already proven how successful it has been despite its simplicity. It would a good idea to build on the existing NationStates and make it open source like my favourite web browser Firefox, so that, for example, players could build alternative game interface skins or have editable fields that show up in their nation page.

R0n1n
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby R0n1n » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:17 pm

Todd McCloud wrote:I'm sure we have many coders, editors, writers, image makers, etc on this site alone that would make this possible. What other gaming site could say their players made a game? Wouldn't Max like to remove the jolt stigmata and have something that site can be used for? I think this could really work.

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:It would be not a good idea to build a NationStates 2 because the original has already proven how successful it has been despite its simplicity. It would a good idea to build on the existing NationStates and make it open source like my favourite web browser Firefox, so that, for example, players could build alternative game interface skins or have editable fields that show up in their nation page.

The NS1 should stay as it is (imho) so that new players and players who need nothing more would be served.
The NS2 could maybe be something like an open source "community playground", in wich new ideas can be implemented, tried and tested without interfering with gameplay (and probably with a much larger testerbase then a beta). Good ideas and mature code could then (maybe) be ported to NS1 (without to much work for Max.) Spinnofs could then be created including trade, war, catastrophic events, micromanagement etc.... #

Resulting in Max getting immeasurable Fame for creating the "kernel"

I like the idea, and think it might just work out fine.
However im not quite sure about the possible downside risks for Max releasing the code.
Help me on this plz

Peace!
Last edited by R0n1n on Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Starblaydia
Game Moderator

Founded: Apr 05, 2004
Father Knows Best State

Postby Starblaydia » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Let's do something with NS2? Kill it with fire.
Six-Time World Cup Committee President (WCs 25-33, 46-51 & 82*)
Co-host of World Cups 20, 40 & 80 • Di Bradini Cup Organiser
World Cups 30, 63 & 83 Runner-Up • World Cup 27 Third Place • 25th Baptism of Fire Runner-Up
Seven-Time AOCAF Cup Champions • Two-time U21, One-Time U18 WC Champions • Men's Football Olympic Champions, Ashford Games
Five-Time Cherry Cup Champions • 1st Quidditch World Cup Champions • WGPC8 Drivers' Champion
The Protectorate of Starblaydia
Commended by WA Security Council Resolution #40
Five-Time NS World Cup Champions (WCs 25, 28, 41, 44 & 47)

Marcuslandia
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Marcuslandia » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:20 pm

The significant differences between the two versions (the things that made one an entirely different game from the other) was that in NS2, players would have the opportunity 1) have a more detailed war game available with combat factors derived from national stats, 2) a more detailed national economic model, and 3) an Alliance system in lieu of regions. Essentially, it was actually NS + as opposed to NS2.

From my several months' experience in NS2, I believe I can say that NS2 failed to perform as desired in all three of those categories. The combat model couldn't react to the changes that would occur when a nation was growing at the rate of several million people EACH DAY. Furthermore, instead of dealing with the enormous logistical factors involved in moving forces from Country A to Country B, it simply ignored them. The Economic model was probably the most dismal disappointment. Players started a nation with 1 million people, each of them able to spend 8-30 currency units each day. By the time the population grew to 20 million, each citizen would be extremely fortunate if they had 5 currency units to spend each day. In short, in hardly any time at all, EVERY nation in the game quickly had their citizens living in cardboard shacks. And the Alliances failed miserably because every nation was actually better off on its own than being in a large alliance.

The one benefit that may be derived from NS2 is that it demonstrated what NOT to do.
"If you don't know what is worth dying for, your life isn't worth living."

"Choose wisely."

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical