NATION

PASSWORD

OOC 1870 RP (Open)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Alleniana
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 23, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Alleniana » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:13 pm

The Norrland wrote:
Alleniana wrote:That reminds me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridgeport,_New_Jersey

New Stockholm? Hmm.

Was NOT based on that. Just the first name I came up with.

:p
It got taken over by the Dutch, then the Brits. Like South Africa, where I believe Sweden had ancient colonies too.

Also, interestingly, today, they irradiate mail there, to remove anthrax.

Lul.

Kryskov
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 26, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Kryskov » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:00 pm

Was disappointed Scotland didn't declare independence and then make a colony in Panama...

Alleniana
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Alleniana » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:01 pm

Kryskov wrote:Was disappointed Scotland didn't declare independence and then make a colony in Panama...

do it

Gibberan
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Gibberan » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:57 pm

The IC seems to be slowing down, now the US can take over everybody
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his son in the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through himJohn 3:16-17

RP Name the Ambrosian Confederal Republic, or Ambrose
(you can still call me Gibbs)

Proud Esquarian!
(but also consider Kylaris)
Kassaran wrote:NSG, the one place where your opinion is the wrong one if it aint liberal enough for them... unless you're me, I'm well known for generally just despising human rights and the whole idea of entitlement.
Timothia wrote:My bad, I should have known better than to challenge the unchanging hive-mind of NSG. Won't happen again any time soon.

Alleniana
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Alleniana » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:33 am

Gibberan wrote:The IC seems to be slowing down, now the US can take over everybody

come at me bru

Seljuq Kyiv
Minister

Founded: Oct 24, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Seljuq Kyiv » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:39 am

Since an IC conference has failed the intended objective (quick discourse regarding the matter while at the same time professing the stances of each respective nation), I must begin the negotiations OOCly.

1. Rules of the colonisation of Africa are as per the Conference of Berlin (effective occupation, etc.)
2. Spain's claim on Morocco is confirmed; Portugal's claim on Angola and Mozambique is confirmed; Britain's claim on the Guinea is confirmed; Sweden's claim on New Stockholm is confirmed
3. Egypt's claim on Habesh-Punt is confirmed.
4. A nation can only partake in de facto and de jure occupation on their respective legitimate spheres of influences (which shall be discussed)

Once this is done we can settle the French business. Savvy?

Seljuq Kyiv
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Seljuq Kyiv » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:17 am

Alleniana wrote:Brissia appears to have gone AWOL. I hate to say it, but the RP is dying. :/

Sadly true, which is why we need to deal with this now before we get to the timeskip and thus reinvigorate activity, mainly from the Scramble for Africa, the Depression, the Balkan Rebellions, the Russo-Turkish War, the Livingstone scenario, the revival of France, ad above all...

The Boxer Rebellion.
Last edited by Seljuq Kyiv on Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gibberan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Gibberan » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:14 am

Seljuq Kyiv wrote:Since an IC conference has failed the intended objective (quick discourse regarding the matter while at the same time professing the stances of each respective nation), I must begin the negotiations OOCly.

1. Rules of the colonisation of Africa are as per the Conference of Berlin (effective occupation, etc.)
2. Spain's claim on Morocco is confirmed; Portugal's claim on Angola and Mozambique is confirmed; Britain's claim on the Guinea is confirmed; Sweden's claim on New Stockholm is confirmed
4. A nation can only partake in de facto and de jure occupation on their respective legitimate spheres of influences (which shall be discussed)

Can I enter into Africa?
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his son in the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through himJohn 3:16-17

Proud Esquarian!
Kassaran wrote:NSG, the one place where your opinion is the wrong one if it aint liberal enough for them... unless you're me, I'm well known for generally just despising human rights and the whole idea of entitlement.
Timothia wrote:My bad, I should have known better than to challenge the unchanging hive-mind of NSG. Won't happen again any time soon.

Seljuq Kyiv
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Seljuq Kyiv » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:50 am

Gibberan wrote:
Seljuq Kyiv wrote:Since an IC conference has failed the intended objective (quick discourse regarding the matter while at the same time professing the stances of each respective nation), I must begin the negotiations OOCly.

Can I enter into Africa?

I hear Britain has bought Liberia, so that removes your leverage, unfortunately.

We could have a separate agreement, however.

Gibberan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Gibberan » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:43 am

Seljuq Kyiv wrote:
Gibberan wrote:Can I enter into Africa?

I hear Britain has bought Liberia, so that removes your leverage, unfortunately.

We could have a separate agreement, however.
I'm
Allied with Britain. Is Liberia the only piece left?

And yes, a seperate agreement would be nice.

Proud Esquarian!

Of the Quendi
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 18, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Of the Quendi » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:02 am

Thats not fair. One of Russia's principal goals in the scramble for Africa has been to derail the conference, if IC negotiations cannot reach a conclusion then that means that said goal is reached, then it can't simply be undone by OOC decisions. In any case Russia doesn't recognize British claims on Guinea, Spanish claims on Morocco Egyptian claims on any Somali territory.
Seljuq Kyiv wrote:The Boxer Rebellion.

That ship has sailed. By the time we get to the Boxer Rebellion (and that won't be for ages) China will be so firmly in the Russian sphere of influence that any such rising will be a matter handled by Russia and the Qing Dynasty. Come summer of 1871 Russia will kick the Japanese out of Manchuria returning it to China in exchange for enormous concessions, from then on any entry of a third power into China will required Russian consent, or immense amounts of resources.
Last edited by Of the Quendi on Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nation RP name
Arda i Eruhíni (short form)
Alcarinqua ar Meneldëa Arda i Eruhíni i sé Amanaranyë ar Aramanaranyë (long form)

Seljuq Kyiv
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Seljuq Kyiv » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:47 am

Of the Quendi wrote:

Thats not fair. One of Russia's principal goals in the scramble for Africa has been to derail the conference, if IC negotiations cannot reach a conclusion then that means that said goal is reached, then it can't simply be undone by OOC decisions. In any case Russia doesn't recognize British claims on Guinea, Spanish claims on Morocco Egyptian claims on any Somali territory.

To be fair, that is a part of Egypt's plan too; behind a smokescreen of pointless arguments, get their claims recognised, make it harder for Europe to begin colonisation of Africa without eliciting the ire of angry natives (which Egypt will happily arm) or rival European powers a la Fashoda, curtail European interests by having them conform to arbitrary borders, while at the same time appeasing their associates and friends (especially Austria, which wants to usurp the position of France).

And Egypt gets a huge prestige boost not just as a mediator of Western powers, but also by hosting cultural exhibitions (linking the Khedivial line to the Pharaonic Dynasties and 5,000 years of history, for example), and the premiering of Giuseppe Verdi's Aida (or an equivalent thereof), prompting a huge Egyptomania buzz in Europe and elsewhere — all which I plan to put into my first post of the Conference soon.

All the while no actual partition happens, and no territory is actually handed to any one state. The 'sphere of influence' I speak of is more or less 'dibs'.

But what I refer to when I mean the failure of the IC conference I refer to the slovenly inactivity that has struck its blow repeatedly. It is an OOC deadlock rather than an IC deadlock; the whole French discourse has only occurred in the span of one morning where it should last a whole day or more, for example.

Of the Quendi wrote:
Seljuq Kyiv wrote:The Boxer Rebellion.

That ship has sailed. By the time we get to the Boxer Rebellion (and that won't be for ages) China will be so firmly in the Russian sphere of influence that any such rising will be a matter handled by Russia and the Qing Dynasty. Come summer of 1871 Russia will kick the Japanese out of Manchuria returning it to China in exchange for enormous concessions, from then on any entry of a third power into China will required Russian consent, or immense amounts of resources.

I would expect that Egypt will press its de facto claims on bridging the gap between Dai Nam and Kwangchowan while this occurs.

EDIT: By the way, if Algeria belongs to France it falls to the Ottoman Empire automatically.
Last edited by Seljuq Kyiv on Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

The State of Czecho-Slovakia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 08, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The State of Czecho-Slovakia » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:04 am

Might be interested in doing the Kingdom of HIawaii, if anybody else is interested.
Player Since 2012

Seljuq Kyiv
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Seljuq Kyiv » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:10 am

The State of Czecho-Slovakia wrote:Might be interested in doing the Kingdom of HIawaii, if anybody else is interested.

Awaiting app.

Dangelia
Senator

Founded: Jul 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Dangelia » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:31 am

Seljuq Kyiv wrote:
The State of Czecho-Slovakia wrote:Might be interested in doing the Kingdom of HIawaii, if anybody else is interested.

Awaiting app.

Btw, if we're skipping to 1875, we might have to list a couple of things that have happened to each nation during that period from 1871-1875. For example, Greece within the period of four years, would have a decent navy and economy, Greco-Ottoman relations would be high, Greece's army would be mobilized.

Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The State of Czecho-Slovakia » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:55 am

Name of Nation: The Kingdom of Hawaii
Population: 89,990 (Est. 1890)
Standing Military and Reserves: 496 Troops
Maximum Conscription [Native Only]: 7,200 Troops
Country and Territories: Best I could get is 1837!
Head of State:
1875: Kalākaua
Government Style: Constitutional Monarchy
Primary Weapon:Springfield Trapdoor Mod. 1873
Standard Machine-Gun: Gatling Gun: 2-3 in service?
Standard Artillery: 3 Modern Austrian Guns
Main Naval Vessels:HHMS.Kaimiloa (1871)

Any extra info is greatly appreciated!
Last edited by The State of Czecho-Slovakia on Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:06 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Player Since 2012

Seljuq Kyiv
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Seljuq Kyiv » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:15 pm

The State of Czecho-Slovakia wrote:Name of Nation: The Kingdom of Hawaii
Head of State:
1870: Kamehameha V
Primary Weapon:Springfield Trapdoor Mod. 1866- don't know if this is correct, bu they did use the 1873 model in the 1890's, so I assume they had it's predecessor?
Standard Machine-Gun: The famous Gatling gun!: 3 in service, one on field carriage and two on naval mountings.
Standard Artillery: No record exists of what these were, but I'd put my money on the 3in Ordnance Rifle. 14 pieces in service.
Main Naval Vessels:[url=Kalākaua]Steam Gunboat HHMS. Kaimiloa (1871)[/url]

Sources:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overthrow_of_the_Kingdom_of_Hawaii
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Hawaii

Looking good. Your RP examples are too simple for our tastes, so we will need a demonstration of your prowess here.

Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The State of Czecho-Slovakia » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:50 pm

Seljuq Kyiv wrote:
The State of Czecho-Slovakia wrote:Name of Nation: The Kingdom of Hawaii
Head of State:
1870: Kamehameha V
Primary Weapon:Springfield Trapdoor Mod. 1866- don't know if this is correct, bu they did use the 1873 model in the 1890's, so I assume they had it's predecessor?
Standard Machine-Gun: The famous Gatling gun!: 3 in service, one on field carriage and two on naval mountings.
Standard Artillery: No record exists of what these were, but I'd put my money on the 3in Ordnance Rifle. 14 pieces in service.
Main Naval Vessels:[url=Kalākaua]Steam Gunboat HHMS. Kaimiloa (1871)[/url]

Sources:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overthrow_of_the_Kingdom_of_Hawaii
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Hawaii

Looking good. Your RP examples are too simple for our tastes, so we will need a demonstration of your prowess here.

Well, I haven't been involved in that many good RP's, except the ones I ran myself. Plus, I've done alot in F7 that went bye bye, including my best and most recent RP :( .

Text of said last RP: (Unedited text was all I could find, unfortunately.)

It had been a long night for Sen. Martin Aubrey Deering. His flight had been badly delayed, buffeted by severe turbulence, and generally unpleasant. But the Aurentina Airlines flight to England had been worth the hassle.
"Congratulations on your award, sir." one of the aids engrossed in fussing with Deering's coat whispered.

The palace room's ornate doors were gracefully opened by a red coated foot man. "Her Majesty will see you now, Sirs."

Sweat pooled on Deering's brow, as he was led down the dark, oak paneled passageway. The old man walked unsteadily, leaning on the ornate cane which hid the slight limp in his walk. Finally, the loyalty to his mother countries, England and Aurentina, were to be rewarded.

"Announcing the arrival of the Senator, Martin Aubrey Deering, of Aurentina, former colony and nation of the Commonwealth!"
Deering slowly lowered himself to the floor, and knelt before his queen.

"Arise, Martin Aubrey Deering. We are proud to make you a Member of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire, for your esteemed service to the public. In managing public transport in Aurentina in keeping with the best interests of both our government and Aurentina, I commend you." the Queen declared.

Martin Deering rose, and with shaking hands excepted the shining cross which bore the legend "For God and Empire".
"Your majesty, it is with the greatest appreciation I accept this honor, and bear it in the hope of renewed friendship between the peoples of our two nations."
Last edited by The State of Czecho-Slovakia on Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Player Since 2012

The Time Alliance
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Time Alliance » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:02 pm

Is the guy we gave Argentina active?

Dangelia
Senator

Founded: Jul 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Dangelia » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:03 pm

The Time Alliance wrote:Is the guy we gave Argentina active?

No one is active :p

Kryskov
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 26, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Kryskov » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:29 pm

Of the Quendi wrote:Thats not fair. One of Russia's principal goals in the scramble for Africa has been to derail the conference, if IC negotiations cannot reach a conclusion then that means that said goal is reached, then it can't simply be undone by OOC decisions. In any case Russia doesn't recognize British claims on Guinea, Spanish claims on Morocco Egyptian claims on any Somali territory.

Well, that's all well and good that you don't recognize our stuff, but...what's the effect? Russia is not relevant when it comes to Africa...

Oh, and I have Djibouti...

The Norrland
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Norrland » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:37 pm

Seljuq Kyiv wrote:
Alleniana wrote:Brissia appears to have gone AWOL. I hate to say it, but the RP is dying. :/

Sadly true, which is why we need to deal with this now before we get to the timeskip and thus reinvigorate activity, mainly from the Scramble for Africa, the Depression, the Balkan Rebellions, the Russo-Turkish War, the Livingstone scenario, the revival of France, ad above all...

The Boxer Rebellion.

This RP is dying.

Of the Quendi
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 18, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Of the Quendi » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:11 pm

Seljuq Kyiv wrote:To be fair, that is a part of Egypt's plan too; behind a smokescreen of pointless arguments, get their claims recognised, make it harder for Europe to begin colonisation of Africa without eliciting the ire of angry natives (which Egypt will happily arm) or rival European powers a la Fashoda, curtail European interests by having them conform to arbitrary borders, while at the same time appeasing their associates and friends (especially Austria, which wants to usurp the position of France).

And Egypt gets a huge prestige boost not just as a mediator of Western powers, but also by hosting cultural exhibitions (linking the Khedivial line to the Pharaonic Dynasties and 5,000 years of history, for example), and the premiering of Giuseppe Verdi's Aida (or an equivalent thereof), prompting a huge Egyptomania buzz in Europe and elsewhere — all which I plan to put into my first post of the Conference soon.

All the while no actual partition happens, and no territory is actually handed to any one state. The 'sphere of influence' I speak of is more or less 'dibs'.

But what I refer to when I mean the failure of the IC conference I refer to the slovenly inactivity that has struck its blow repeatedly. It is an OOC deadlock rather than an IC deadlock; the whole French discourse has only occurred in the span of one morning where it should last a whole day or more, for example.

I would expect that Egypt will press its de facto claims on bridging the gap between Dai Nam and Kwangchowan while this occurs.

EDIT: By the way, if Algeria belongs to France it falls to the Ottoman Empire automatically.

If your goal was to prevent European colonization of Africa why on earth are you holding a conference fifteen years ahead of schedule?

If Algeria belongs to France why would it fall to the Ottomans? The Ottomans even at peak performance doesn't stand a chance against even a weakened France and right now the Ottoman Empire has other more pressing concerns as Anatolia is ripe to fall into Russo-Armenian hands.
Kryskov wrote:Well, that's all well and good that you don't recognize our stuff, but...what's the effect? Russia is not relevant when it comes to Africa...

Russia has the third strongest navy in the world and the largest non-colonial economy. If the considerably weaker Austria-Hungary (half as large an economy, no navy of any significance) can become a colonial power of note then so can Russia, to a greater extent. Especially once I have disposed of the Ottomans.
Nation RP name
Arda i Eruhíni (short form)
Alcarinqua ar Meneldëa Arda i Eruhíni i sé Amanaranyë ar Aramanaranyë (long form)

Seljuq Kyiv
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Seljuq Kyiv » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:57 pm

Hawaii is accepted. Start by declaring yourself protectorate of Egypt.

Kryskov wrote:
Of the Quendi wrote:Thats not fair. One of Russia's principal goals in the scramble for Africa has been to derail the conference, if IC negotiations cannot reach a conclusion then that means that said goal is reached, then it can't simply be undone by OOC decisions. In any case Russia doesn't recognize British claims on Guinea, Spanish claims on Morocco Egyptian claims on any Somali territory.

Well, that's all well and good that you don't recognize our stuff, but...what's the effect? Russia is not relevant when it comes to Africa...

Actually, I am exercising effective occupation and are bound in treaties with the Warsangali Sultans and Potentates, whereas your people haven't even landed upon our shores yet (as of September).

Of the Quendi wrote:
Seljuq Kyiv wrote:To be fair, that is a part of Egypt's plan too; behind a smokescreen of pointless arguments, get their claims recognised, make it harder for Europe to begin colonisation of Africa without eliciting the ire of angry natives (which Egypt will happily arm) or rival European powers a la Fashoda, curtail European interests by having them conform to arbitrary borders, while at the same time appeasing their associates and friends (especially Austria, which wants to usurp the position of France).

If your goal was to prevent European colonization of Africa why on earth are you holding a conference fifteen years ahead of schedule?

If Algeria belongs to France why would it fall to the Ottomans? The Ottomans even at peak performance doesn't stand a chance against even a weakened France and right now the Ottoman Empire has other more pressing concerns as Anatolia is ripe to fall into Russo-Armenian hands.
Kryskov wrote:Well, that's all well and good that you don't recognize our stuff, but...what's the effect? Russia is not relevant when it comes to Africa...

Russia has the third strongest navy in the world and the largest non-colonial economy. If the considerably weaker Austria-Hungary (half as large an economy, no navy of any significance) can become a colonial power of note then so can Russia, to a greater extent. Especially once I have disposed of the Ottomans.

To make it look like I am. Though I never wanted colonisation to be impossible, just needlessly difficult.

As per our treaty cum declaration of independence with Turkey, all French possessions in Algeria, present or future, belongs to Turkey de jure. France has five years to rebuild, and in the meantime Turkey takes what it wills.

The Norrland wrote:
Seljuq Kyiv wrote:

The Boxer Rebellion.

This RP is dying.

I am aware. A timeskip to 1875 (and a possible relabeling to AWRP) might draw in new life.
Last edited by Seljuq Kyiv on Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse