NATION

PASSWORD

Currency Option

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
The PeoplesFreedom
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 09, 2005
Ex-Nation

Currency Option

Postby The PeoplesFreedom » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:38 am

is it possible to add a drop-down option for currency possibly saying 'None' or 'Privatized', for nations that have decentralized banking/private currency?
Last edited by The PeoplesFreedom on Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you have any questions please let me know. I'd be happy to help in any way I can.

National Information
NS Draftroom[/spoiler]

Meridiani Planum
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 03, 2006
Capitalizt

Re: Currency Option

Postby Meridiani Planum » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:44 am

That would be cool.
I shall choose friends among men, but neither slaves nor masters.
- Ayn Rand

Yanitaria
Envoy

Founded: Sep 16, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Yanitaria » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:51 am

I support this.

Stash Kroh
Envoy

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Stash Kroh » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:32 am

I think the big issue is that a couple of issues make use of the "@@CURRENCY@@" tag.
So that would for example show up for me in an issue like...
"You can't spend all of those eduards!"

But then if they just simply altered the code, so one could "switch off" currency,
That issue would either pop up with this...
"You can't spend all of those ..." or "You can't spend all of those undef"

I do wonder if those issues would even be valid for nations without currency though.

In which case, that would be a whole new field of issues to write about nation's that have abolished currency or privatized it. Maybe?
Ambassador Adelinda Gliemann
The Clockwork Forge of Stash Kroh
WA Security Council Liaison

Ledarre
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 18, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ledarre » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:37 am

But if a nation did not have currency they would probably have a barter economy, so in a sense the currency is material goods.
The Murtunian Tribes wrote:
Ledarre wrote:I'm struggling to see the problem here. Just look at my nation, looks like a politically free nation, right? WRONG! The democratically elected parliament requires a unanimous vote to actually pass legalisation and with proportional representation and the number of extremists in parliament this is near impossible.

So the monarchy effectively rules by decree. I have achieved this through answering issues in a certain way... Unfortunately I can’t remember what those issues were. That plus a little bit of RP. Anyway my point is it’s easy to have moderate to high political freedoms and still have absolute power, you just have to be creative.

Huh. That's a rather unique and, I must say, deliciously evil approach. *golfclap*

Sirocco
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Sirocco » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:37 am

Perhaps instead of @@CURRENCY@@, currency-less nations should just see 'bartered potato'.

Unibot
Senator

Founded: May 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:43 am

(I'm Stash Kroh by the way)

I still think some bartering centric issues would have to be created - which could be interesting.

Swilatia
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 02, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Swilatia » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:49 am

or you could just set a bartered item (bottle caps, anything) as your currency.
SvilajskaRepublika Free since 1826

Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: -6.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.31

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:00 am

Swilatia wrote:or you could just set a bartered item (bottle caps, anything) as your currency.

We've already had nations with bottle caps -- and one with "crushed beer cans", too -- as currency...
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

The PeoplesFreedom
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 09, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The PeoplesFreedom » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:15 am

It's not there isn't a currency, its that the private banks issue competing currencies, rather than having one issued by a central bank. So there wouldn't be potato trading, though it would fit with NS humor.
If you have any questions please let me know. I'd be happy to help in any way I can.

National Information
NS Draftroom[/spoiler]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical