NATION

PASSWORD

Guide to a Wiki-Style Factbook, Embassies, and Consulates

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

HopNation
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby HopNation » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:35 am

Ponderosa I really like he changes to the guide, I know when I first found it it was a great help to setting up mine. I use it for almost all my factbook entries and subsections, although many are till unfinished. The Miscellaneous section is where I've done most of my work.
Collection of National Teams
BOF 54 - Group 7 Winner - Round of 16
World Cup
Qualifying Exits: 67, 68, 69*,71
4th Place (70)
Cup of Harmony
Group Stage Exits: 59
Round of 16 (60), QF (61)
*playoff game
BOI 15 - Champion
World Bowl
Group Stage Exits: XXII*, XXIII, XXV*
Rof16: XXIV,XXVI
*playoff game
World Cup of Hockey
Group Stage Exits: 23, 24, 25, & 27
Rof16: 26

ShenGuo
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 14, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby ShenGuo » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:10 am

Here's my part with some parts modified and added. http://www.nationstates.net/nation=shen ... /id=189426

Through the use of the codes you can also create something like this: http://www.nationstates.net/nation=shen ... /id=208693
Pro: Harmony, stability, diplomatic, equity, morality, benevolence.
Anti: Radicalism, intrusiveness, tyranny, ignorance.

Ponderosa
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 10, 2013
Anarchy

Postby Ponderosa » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:25 pm

I added a list of recommended of threads- the small list of recommended wiki-factbooks was looking a little lonely. Enjoy.
The Free Republic of Ponderosa
National Factbook | Map | Embassy | IIWiki | Wintreath
The Collection Collection | Guide to a Wiki-Style Factbook | Captions for Banners!
Political Compass | Gameplay Alignment
Social democrat - Social Libertarian - Agnostic Atheist - INTP - Runner
Retired WerePenguins wrote:That's the one thing I like about the WA; it allows me to shove my moral compass up your legislative branch, assuming a majority agrees.
Steve Prefontaine wrote:The best pace is a suicide pace, and today is a good day to die.
Christopher Hitchens wrote:Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence.

Orioni 2
Envoy

Founded: May 05, 2004
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Orioni 2 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:51 am

Thank you very much Pondarosa for sharing this quick guide with us. I've always been a big fan of sharing some more details about my RP nation, whether it be in a forum thread, on NSwiki or now in a factbook. Although far from complete, I would love it if anyone of you reader has some constructive criticism for me here. http://www.nationstates.net/nation=orio ... k/id=63166
Last edited by Orioni 2 on Tue Jan 19, 2038 03:14 am, edited 1.618 times in total.

The Beautiful Empire of OrioniEurth RP
Seek nothing and you will find everything

HopNation
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby HopNation » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:32 am

Orioni 2 wrote:Thank you very much Pondarosa for sharing this quick guide with us. I've always been a big fan of sharing some more details about my RP nation, whether it be in a forum thread, on NSwiki or now in a factbook. Although far from complete, I would love it if anyone of you reader has some constructive criticism for me here. http://www.nationstates.net/nation=orio ... k/id=63166

Looks nice Orioni 2, but I think your political map needs shifted down a little as it appears to be in the section above.
Collection of National Teams
BOF 54 - Group 7 Winner - Round of 16
World Cup
Qualifying Exits: 67, 68, 69*,71
4th Place (70)
Cup of Harmony
Group Stage Exits: 59
Round of 16 (60), QF (61)
*playoff game
BOI 15 - Champion
World Bowl
Group Stage Exits: XXII*, XXIII, XXV*
Rof16: XXIV,XXVI
*playoff game
World Cup of Hockey
Group Stage Exits: 23, 24, 25, & 27
Rof16: 26

Shazbotdom
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2004
Anarchy

Postby Shazbotdom » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:47 pm

Just a note, I noticed you had me listed as someone you borrowed this idea from. I am in the process of making an image to represent my thread that would fall to the right of my listing in your second post. I will post a link to it when I have it uploaded.
ShazWeb || IIWiki || Discord: shazbertbot || 1 x NFL Picks League Champion (2021)
CosmoCast || SISA || CCD || CrawDaddy || SCIA || COPEC || Boudreaux's || CLS || SNC || ShazAir || BHC || TWO
NHL: NYR (114) 0 - 0 WSH (91) | COL (105) 0 - 0 WPG (110) | VGK (96) 0 - 0 DAL (113)
NBA: Pelicans (6) 49-33 || NCAA MBB: Tulane 20-16 | LSU 22-15 || NCAA WSB: LSU 33-8

Ponderosa
Ambassador

Anarchy

Postby Ponderosa » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:26 pm

Shazbotdom wrote:Just a note, I noticed you had me listed as someone you borrowed this idea from. I am in the process of making an image to represent my thread that would fall to the right of my listing in your second post. I will post a link to it when I have it uploaded.

That would be awesome, thanks.
The Collection Collection | Guide to a Wiki-Style Factbook | Captions for Banners!
Retired WerePenguins wrote:That's the one thing I like about the WA; it allows me to shove my moral compass up your legislative branch, assuming a majority agrees.
Steve Prefontaine wrote:The best pace is a suicide pace, and today is a good day to die.
Christopher Hitchens wrote:Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence.

Shazbotdom
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2004
Anarchy

Postby Shazbotdom » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:12 pm

Code: Select all
[url=http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=78929][img]http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk92/Shazbotdom/FANIndexHeaders/IndexLogo_zpsd2c9243c.gif[/img][/url]
ShazWeb || IIWiki || Discord: shazbertbot || 1 x NFL Picks League Champion (2021)
CosmoCast || SISA || CCD || CrawDaddy || SCIA || COPEC || Boudreaux's || CLS || SNC || ShazAir || BHC || TWO
NHL: NYR (114) 0 - 0 WSH (91) | COL (105) 0 - 0 WPG (110) | VGK (96) 0 - 0 DAL (113)
NBA: Pelicans (6) 49-33 || NCAA MBB: Tulane 20-16 | LSU 22-15 || NCAA WSB: LSU 33-8

Serretes
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 26, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Serretes » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:31 am

I have a question. Where in my fact book, which I am redoing today, should my constitution go? Above or below the info box? And if below, how much below? This is a forum fact book.
Sansa Stark is the best Game of Thrones character, closely followed by Theon Greyjoy.

Southern Babylonia wrote:"Even if I pay for the larger half myself?"
"Serretes, we're not renting you a prostitute!" :p

Please Disregard Any Posts Made In The Diplomacy Forums Before May 30, 2014.

Carto-Geography
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Carto-Geography » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:37 am

Ujang wrote:Hello, I'm Ujang, well, I want to ask, how do we can upload images to NS through mobile version. I'm curious about it and I want to make a wiki-style factbook like you all....

Please.......

Put images on wikia and put the link between img boxes here.
Our father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us, and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen.

Ponderosa
Ambassador

Anarchy

Postby Ponderosa » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:42 am

Serretes wrote:I have a question. Where in my fact book, which I am redoing today, should my constitution go? Above or below the info box? And if below, how much below? This is a forum fact book.

I recommend switching to the dispatch factbook, since it's easier to find, and my templates don't work so well for the forums. Legislation is where'd I'd put it.

If you're sticking with the forum factbook, the constitution probably shouldn't go anywhere near the OP, introduction, or main page. At least not if you want a wiki-style factbook.

Astholm
Senator

Founded: Jan 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Astholm » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:14 pm

How could I use this with ethnic group factbooks, like this one of mine?
I need to update the infobox, but am not sure how to progress.

Any feedback is also appreciated too on the content! :)
[spoiler=About Me]Based on the United Kingdom, but enlarged version with alternate history.
On IIWiki
I have multiple puppets here; only a select few are used to represent the continent of Astholm; others used represent Westholme, and do not artificially boost my nation's statistics.Previously i used puppets with nation names that did not identify as Astholm (e.g. Australis Australia; now all new puppets use ASTHLM, NORTHLM, SOUTHLM, WESTHLM (HLM denoting The Holmes.
NOTE: Other uses of Astholm here have a different continuity and refer to work created by the user Astholm, not the nation

Virana
Minister

Founded: Jan 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Virana » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:25 pm

Astholm wrote:How could I use this with ethnic group factbooks, like this one of mine?
I need to update the infobox, but am not sure how to progress.

Any feedback is also appreciated too on the content! :)

Generally infoboxes for ethnic groups list an estimate on their total population, regions/countries with high populations of that group, and the common languages and religions found with them. They also have a list of famous people belonging to said group. Here's an example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akan_people

Also, ethnic groups don't usually have an "official language" as suggested on your article; they generally don't have any centralized authority that prescribes an official language. It'd best be described as the most common language; my best suggestion is simply listing that particular language first in a list of common languages found within said ethnic group, like so:
"Common languages: English, Hindi, Walloon, Flemish, Valuni"
II Mentor specializing in MT and GE&T. If you need help, TG me, visit our thread, or join our IRC channel, #NSMentors on irc.esper.net!

Mentors Hub | Welcome to II | RP Questions | #NSMentors
International Incidents Mentor | IIwiki Administrator

Owner of the United Republic of Emmeria and everything about it

Jichang
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Jichang » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:14 am

http://www.nationstates.net/nation=jichang/detail=factbook/id=205631
Does anyone have some suggestions for my factbook?
THE PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF JICHANG

Britonisea
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 29, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Britonisea » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:10 am

Really good! Tell us more. Sports etc.
Please look at mine.

Everybody!!!!! Please rate!!

http://www.nationstates.net/nation=brit ... /id=156160
Last edited by Britonisea on Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
WINNER OF THE 112ND WORLDVISION SONG CONTEST
LISTEN NOW: KIANA KNIGHT - SAYONARA

Rexubliqué Univexserellué de Brityunik #BRI
Follow Britonish Television on Twitter: TVBBritonisea
WorldVision Top 9 | WorldVision Factbook
1st - 162 points - WV112 (314 J+T)
1st - 154 points - WV81
1st - 139 points - WV47
1st - 138 points - WV99 (258 J+T)
1st - 134 points - WV87 (242 J+T)
1st - 132 points - WV73
1st - 117 points - WV64
1st - 113 points - WV41
1st - 98 points - WV63

World Hit Festival Top 9 | World Hit Festival Factbook
1st - 51 points - WHF50
1st - 42 points - WHF59
1st - 38 points - WHF52
1st - 34 points - WHF42
1st - 34 points - WHF48
1st - 33 points - WHF68
1st - 28 points - WHF46
1st - 28 points - WHF37
1st - 20 points - WHF26

Jichang
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Jichang » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:51 pm

Britonisea wrote:Really good! Tell us more. Sports etc.
Please look at mine.

Everybody!!!!! Please rate!!

http://www.nationstates.net/nation=brit ... /id=156160

Nice factbook!!
And I will add some things to my factbook soon.

New Grestin
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby New Grestin » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:17 pm

I actually had a question:
How does one add tables to their fact book? I'm working on an entry to my military and I'm shooting for a presentation similar to the US Army entry on wikipedia.

Help?
Let’s not dwell on our corpse strewn past. Let’s celebrate our corpse strewn future!
Head Bartender for The Pub | The Para-Verse | Writing Advice from a Pretentious Jerk | I write stuff | Arbitrary Political Numbers
Kentucky Fried Land wrote:I should have known Grestin was Christopher Walken the whole time.
ThePub wrote:New Grestin: "I will always choose the aborable lesbians over an entire town."
Imperial Idaho wrote:And with 1-2 sentences Grestin has declared war on the national pride of Canada.
- Best Worldbuilding - 2016 (Community Choice)
- Best Horror/Thriller RP for THE ZONE - 2016 (Community Choice)

Ponderosa
Ambassador

Anarchy

Postby Ponderosa » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:11 pm

New Grestin wrote:I actually had a question:
How does one add tables to their fact book? I'm working on an entry to my military and I'm shooting for a presentation similar to the US Army entry on wikipedia.

Help?

Here's an example.

[table][tr][td]Rank[/td][td]City[/td][td]Population[/td][td]State[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]1[/td][td]Kefflavik City[/td][td]1,000,000[/td][td]Kefflavik Land[/td][/tr]
[/table]

Hope that helps.
Last edited by Ponderosa on Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New Grestin
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby New Grestin » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:23 pm

Ponderosa wrote:
New Grestin wrote:I actually had a question:

Help?

Here's an example.

[tr][td]1[/td][td]Kefflavik City[/td][td]1,000,000[/td][td]Kefflavik Land[/td][/tr]
[/table]

Hope that helps.

This is exceedingly helpful, but is there any way to add new tabs to the table without

<----This
RankCityPopulationState
1Kefflavik City1,000,000Kefflavik Land
Let’s not dwell on our corpse strewn past. Let’s celebrate our corpse strewn future!
Head Bartender for The Pub | The Para-Verse | Writing Advice from a Pretentious Jerk | I write stuff | Arbitrary Political Numbers
Kentucky Fried Land wrote:I should have known Grestin was Christopher Walken the whole time.
ThePub wrote:New Grestin: "I will always choose the aborable lesbians over an entire town."
Imperial Idaho wrote:And with 1-2 sentences Grestin has declared war on the national pride of Canada.

Ponderosa
Ambassador

Anarchy

Postby Ponderosa » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:32 pm

New Grestin wrote:
Ponderosa wrote:
Here's an example.

[/table]

Hope that helps.

This is exceedingly helpful, but is there any way to add new tabs to the table without

<----This
RankCityPopulationState

Sure. The [td] tags are used to create new columns. The [tr] ones are for each new row.

Virana
Minister

Founded: Jan 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Virana » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:35 pm

New Grestin wrote:
Ponderosa wrote:
Here's an example.

[/table]

Hope that helps.

<----This
RankCityPopulationState

I'm not entirely sure what you meant by new tabs, but tables in BBCode and HTML work like this: each tr tag denotes a new row (though, of course, the previous one must be closed), and each td tag represents a table data cell. If you want to add more columns, simply add more data cells in every row.

Edit: ninja'd
Last edited by Virana on Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
II Mentor specializing in MT and GE&T. If you need help, TG me, visit our thread, or join our IRC channel, #NSMentors on irc.esper.net!

Mentors Hub | Welcome to II | RP Questions | #NSMentors
International Incidents Mentor | IIwiki Administrator

Owner of the United Republic of Emmeria and everything about it

New Grestin
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby New Grestin » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:40 pm

Thanks!

Jichang
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Jichang » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:26 pm

Has anybody suggestions for my factbook?(I know that I have already posted this)
http://www.nationstates.net/nation=jich ... /id=205631

Desmendura
Minister

Founded: Oct 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Desmendura » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:13 am

Jichang wrote:Has anybody suggestions for my factbook?(I know that I have already posted this)
http://www.nationstates.net/nation=jich ... /id=205631

I highly suggest making the flag slightly larger and make the history more detailed. Try checking out my factbook for some inspiration on your history, it's in my signature.
It's glad to be back after almost 3 months of inactivity!
---------------
---------------
---------------
I am:
An F&NI specialist
A Generalite (Not too much now however)
A Role-player
Extra stuffs include:
(-_Q) If you support Capitalism put this in your Signature
98% of all Internet users would cry if Facebook, Instagram, Vine, Kik and/or Twitter broke down. If you are part of that 2% who simply would sit back and laugh, if you are that two percent copy and paste into your sig.
LIKES: Capitalism, Libertarianism, Monarchism, Imperialism
NEUTRAL: Communism, Socialism, Fascism, and Feminism
DISLIKES: Gender Supremacy of any kind and Nazism

Alenahtl
Secretary

Founded: Jul 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Alenahtl » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:43 pm

This is unbelievably helpful.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads