NATION

PASSWORD

The Ultimate Football/Soccer Thread (2010/2011 Season)

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Londim
Minister

Founded: May 23, 2006
Ex-Nation

The Ultimate Football/Soccer Thread (2010/2011 Season)

Postby Londim » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:15 pm

Since I cannot find the old thread, I thought a new one should be started.

Soccer News of the Day:

Newcastle United have been promoted to the Premier League. Toon Army rejoices!
Peterborough relegated to League One. New manager comes in.

Champions League News:

Inter Milan are through to the Semi Finals of the Champions League after beating CSKA Moscow 2-0 on aggregate.
Arsenal and Barcelona are currently battling it out and the score so far is 1-1 (3-3 on aggregate) The winner shall face Inter in the Semi Final.
Rooney will most likely not play in the Manchester United side to face Bayern Munich tomorrow. Munich lead 2-1 on aggregate and many tip them as favourites to win.
Bordeaux and Lyon also play tomorrow. Lyon lead 3-1 on aggregate.

So what are your predictions? How is your team doing?
Last edited by Londim on Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
YES. I have returned.
Now a writer over at The Sixth Axis.

EvilDarkMagicians
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby EvilDarkMagicians » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:16 pm

All I'm hoping is that Arsenal loses. ;)

Londim
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Londim » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:22 pm

EvilDarkMagicians wrote:All I'm hoping is that Arsenal loses. ;)

Well, with Messi constantly hounding the Arsenal defence it looks likely.

EDIT: And it's a Messi hat trick and we haven't even got to half time yet. It's looking like this match is already settled and we still have another half to play. Arsenal need a miracle.
Last edited by Londim on Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YES. I have returned.

Lacadaemon
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Lacadaemon » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:33 pm

It pleases me to see the Toon back where it can continue to shame itself.
The kind of middle-class mentality which actuates both those responsible for strategy and government has little knowledge of the new psychology and organizing ability of the totalitarian States. The forces we are fighting are governed neither by the old strategy nor follow the old tactics.

The House of Castile
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The House of Castile » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:40 pm

Messi has a first half hat trick, Arsenal's taking a beating right now, and Arsenal needs to start spending, who do you guys think Wangar should sign, Lloris or Ochoa.

I miss Newcastle in the Premier league, they were my second favorite club, but few good transfer decisions should fix that.
Last edited by The House of Castile on Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arsenal fan
Real Madrid fan
Juventus fan
Ardchoille wrote:It's one of my grievances, too. Thank you for the opportunity to air it. Yes, indeed,
TAGGING IS SPAM.

Sdaeriji wrote:
Emothica wrote:Why it isn't Italy up there? Sure, the U.S. isn't up there but that's because they don't play very well. But Italy is one of the best teams in the running and they won last year. The only way that the U.S. has a chance is if David Beckham dumps England and joins the American team.

There's like 8 things wrong with this post.

The blessed Chris
Minister

Founded: Jul 13, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The blessed Chris » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:49 pm

The House of Castile wrote:Messi has a first half hat trick, Arsenal's taking a beating right now, and Arsenal needs to start spending, who do you guys think Wangar should sign, Lloris or Ochoa.

I miss Newcastle in the Premier league, they were my second favorite club, but few good transfer decisions should fix that.

The first thing Wenger needs to do is establish the future of Fabregas; either sign him on a long term contract with an impossible buy-out clause, or cash in and reinvest the proceeds into three or four new signings. Personally I'd look to buy Gourcuff, Kjaer, Moussa Sissoko, and, as a long term investment, Romanu Lukaku. Lukaku looks staggeringly good for a 16 year old.

Agolthia
Attaché

Founded: Mar 21, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Agolthia » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:06 pm

Regarding the Bayern Munich-Manchester United game, I think it's a pretty finely balanced tie at the moment. Obviously Rooney being injured is a big blow but I would still bet on Manchester United scoring at Old Trafford. Play Berbatov up front alongside Macheda or Diouf so that he doesn't have the responsibility of getting behind the defence and can get the ball played to his feet. Obviously after the Chelsea game, people are going to be saying that they are missing Rooney but I would argue that it was sloppiness in possession and consequentially lack of service to the front men that cost United then.

The blessed Chris
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The blessed Chris » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:12 pm

Agolthia wrote:Regarding the Bayern Munich-Manchester United game, I think it's a pretty finely balanced tie at the moment. Obviously Rooney being injured is a big blow but I would still bet on Manchester United scoring at Old Trafford. Play Berbatov up front alongside Macheda or Diouf so that he doesn't have the responsibility of getting behind the defence and can get the ball played to his feet. Obviously after the Chelsea game, people are going to be saying that they are missing Rooney but I would argue that it was sloppiness in possession and consequentially lack of service to the front men that cost United then.

I agree. The Chelsea match was lost, in my opinion, in midfield; Carrick simply lacks the physicality and, in my opinion again, instinct, to dominate the midfield in "big" games, Scholes hasn't the legs to do so either, and Fletcher cannot sustain a midfield by himself. The potential return of Owen Hargreaves notwithstanding, United desperately need a new central midfielder; Granero from Real Madrid has been suggested I think. Specifically for Munich, I'd like to see Ferguson select both Nani and Valencia and thereby force Robben and Ribery into defensive duties.

Andrewboy
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Andrewboy » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:16 pm

The blessed Chris wrote:
Agolthia wrote:Regarding the Bayern Munich-Manchester United game, I think it's a pretty finely balanced tie at the moment. Obviously Rooney being injured is a big blow but I would still bet on Manchester United scoring at Old Trafford. Play Berbatov up front alongside Macheda or Diouf so that he doesn't have the responsibility of getting behind the defence and can get the ball played to his feet. Obviously after the Chelsea game, people are going to be saying that they are missing Rooney but I would argue that it was sloppiness in possession and consequentially lack of service to the front men that cost United then.

I agree. The Chelsea match was lost, in my opinion, in midfield; Carrick simply lacks the physicality and, in my opinion again, instinct, to dominate the midfield in "big" games, Scholes hasn't the legs to do so either, and Fletcher cannot sustain a midfield by himself. The potential return of Owen Hargreaves notwithstanding, United desperately need a new central midfielder; Granero from Real Madrid has been suggested I think. Specifically for Munich, I'd like to see Ferguson select both Nani and Valencia and thereby force Robben and Ribery into defensive duties.

Yes. By the way Barcelona have defeated Arsenal. The Chelsea loss was a big blow to man uniteds title hopes. Altough i herd Rooney could possibly feature in the Bayern Munich game. Im a man u supporter and i honestly dont see us getting any more silverweare this season. Its just not there. Fingers crossed for england in South Africa.
World Cup 51 Qualifying
world cup of hockey 10:group stage
Coh 42 Quarter Finals
World Cup 50 qualyifying
Fustal world cup II:group stage
Pool world cup 1:Broomstone:2end place, Willkins: 2end round, Harvord: 2end round
Baptism of fire 36: round of 16
World cup 49: Qualifing
Burchandiger invitational cup 1: round of 16
Fustal world cup 3: Group Stage
Ebyria Regional Cup: 1st
Di Barandi cup 13: group stage
Womens World Cup 12: group stage

all hail ceiling cat
the last enemy that shall be defeated is death
98% of all internet users would cry if facebook would break down, if you are part of that 2% who simply would sit back and laugh then copy and paste this into your sig
Ultimate Man united fan.
F7 minister of elimination games

Zarbli
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 02, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Zarbli » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:21 pm

Would someone please be so kind to injure Messi before the world cup? Thank you.
The United Nations of Zarbli
NEW PARLIAMENT ELECTED!

NSWiki entry (still unfinished) | Map | Coat of Arms
Long Live the Queen!

CHECK OUT MY WEBCOMIC: Português | English

The blessed Chris
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The blessed Chris » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:22 pm

Andrewboy wrote:
The blessed Chris wrote:

Yes. By the way Barcelona have defeated Arsenal. The Chelsea loss was a big blow to man uniteds title hopes. Altough i herd Rooney could possibly feature in the Bayern Munich game. Im a man u supporter and i honestly dont see us getting any more silverweare this season. Its just not there. Fingers crossed for england in South Africa.

As a United fan, I have to agree. We're just short of the quality in depth to win either the league or CL this year.

The House of Castile
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The House of Castile » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:28 pm

Zarbli wrote:Would someone please be so kind to injure Messi before the world cup? Thank you.

Could someone please do it before this weekend?

Also Gourcuff would be a great signing for Arsenal, watching him play is like Zidane.
Arsenal fan
Real Madrid fan
Juventus fan
Ardchoille wrote:It's one of my grievances, too. Thank you for the opportunity to air it. Yes, indeed,
TAGGING IS SPAM.

Sdaeriji wrote:
Emothica wrote:Why it isn't Italy up there? Sure, the U.S. isn't up there but that's because they don't play very well. But Italy is one of the best teams in the running and they won last year. The only way that the U.S. has a chance is if David Beckham dumps England and joins the American team.

There's like 8 things wrong with this post.

Hogusholand
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Hogusholand » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:32 pm

Im a Huge football fan and this weekend was awesome for me,

I went to Newcastle to see Sunderland play against Tottenham and got to see Luka Modric and Gudjohnson from like 5 meters or so,

as for Man Utd I think they should let Park play more games as he showed to have a nak ( spelling) for scoring in CL matches against powerfull teams, Indeed today Messi was phenominal, to bad Rosicky missed a great oppertunity to score a goal, hope Man Utd and Bayerns is going to be a mad game aswell with Ribery fully recovered and scoring

Londim
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Londim » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:36 pm

So Arsenal out of the Champions League. Messi just showed why he is European and World Footballer of the Year. At the age of 22, his opposition have years of fearing him to go.

That means the 1st Semi Final has been decided: Inter Milan vs Barcelona aka The Special One vs The Magic One. Of course Inter are a totally different team to Arsenal in both playing style and experience. However, with the way Barcelona are playing I think they'll edge it.

I honestly do believe that Bayern Munich will progress to the semi's. So much of United's play is built around feeding Rooney the ball to slot it home. Berbatov is not in the same class as him and ,as has been pointed out, the midfield seemed a bit shaky against Chelsea so Ferguson will have to address that.
YES. I have returned.

Zarbli
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Zarbli » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:55 am

Londim wrote:I honestly do believe that Bayern Munich will progress to the semi's. So much of United's play is built around feeding Rooney the ball to slot it home. Berbatov is not in the same class as him and ,as has been pointed out, the midfield seemed a bit shaky against Chelsea so Ferguson will have to address that.

Bah, it will be like 8-0 for Manchester.

Anyway, I'm more interested in cheering against all the Brazilian teams in the Libertadores Cup right now...
NEW PARLIAMENT ELECTED!

Long Live the Queen!

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:21 am

Messi, Messi, Messi
You know you've made it on NSG when you have a whole thread created around what you said.
On the American/United Statesian matter "I'd suggest Americans go to their nation settings and change their nation prefix to something cooler." - The Kangaroo Republic
http://nswiki.net/index.php?title=Blouman_Empire

DBC26-Winner

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:26 am

Zarbli wrote:Would someone please be so kind to injure Messi before the world cup? Thank you.

Bah because most of the other team are average he won't be able to do anything. Hopefully they don't come up against England cause it will probably one goal to end their run to glory
You know you've made it on NSG when you have a whole thread created around what you said.
On the American/United Statesian matter "I'd suggest Americans go to their nation settings and change their nation prefix to something cooler." - The Kangaroo Republic

DBC26-Winner

Zarbli
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Zarbli » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:30 am

Blouman Empire wrote:

Bah because most of the other team are average he won't be able to do anything. Hopefully they don't come up against England cause it will probably one goal to end their run to glory

He never played that well for the Argentine squad anyway. Nevertheless, he scares me :P
NEW PARLIAMENT ELECTED!

Long Live the Queen!

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:32 am

Zarbli wrote:
Blouman Empire wrote:

He never played that well for the Argentine squad anyway. Nevertheless, he scares me :P

Same one right foot will dash the chance for England to win

DBC26-Winner

Zarbli
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Zarbli » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:35 am

Blouman Empire wrote:
Zarbli wrote:
Blouman Empire wrote:

England has an overall better team. Argentina's defense is ridiculous, not to mention Maradona as coach. Just see their campaign in the qualifiers...
NEW PARLIAMENT ELECTED!

Long Live the Queen!

Hogusholand
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Hogusholand » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:35 am

Ofcourse Messi doesn't play aswell for Argentina as he does for Barca, Messi in Barca is surrounded by midfield geniusses such as Iniesta and Xavi, with whom he plays weekly with, instead of the Argentinian national team who come together every month or so, plus Pep Guardiola is a far more capable trainer than Maradonna is,
also bear in mind that being better whilst playing for the club and lesser when playing for national team counts for practically every international

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:36 am

Zarbli wrote:
Blouman Empire wrote:
Zarbli wrote:
Blouman Empire wrote:

England has an overall better team. Argentina's defense is ridiculous, not to mention Maradona as coach. Just see their campaign in the qualifiers...

I know but as we both know in football one mistake it all it takes

DBC26-Winner

Rodrigues-Alves
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Rodrigues-Alves » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:41 am

Hogusholand wrote:Ofcourse Messi doesn't play aswell for Argentina as he does for Barca, Messi in Barca is surrounded by midfield geniusses such as Iniesta and Xavi, with whom he plays weekly with, instead of the Argentinian national team who come together every month or so, plus Pep Guardiola is a far more capable trainer than Maradonna is,

True

Hogusholand wrote:also bear in mind that being better whilst playing for the club and lesser when playing for national team counts for practically every international

Not always true, specially for Brazil. Our team is surprinsingly efficient if you take over consideration the players Dunga insists to call.

Londim
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Londim » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:16 am

Today's Football News:

Wayne Rooney will not play against Bayern Munich tonight. John O'Shea is likely to make his return to the squad.
Arjen Robben returns to the Bayern Munich squad tonight to face United. Daniel Van Buyten is also set to return.

In tonight's other Champions League fixture, Lyon vs Bordeaux, Lyon will be without the services of Lisandro Lopez who is suspended. Sidney Govou is also suspended.

Bordeaux have lost their last 3 matches in all competitions. Goalkeeper Cedric Carrasso will be in the first team though he is not fully recovered from injury. Alou Diarra is avaliable for tonight's fixture.

Predictions:

Man Utd 1 Bayern Munich 1

Bordeaux 0 Lyon 2
YES. I have returned.

Fson
Minister

Founded: Sep 30, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Fson » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:21 am

Londim wrote:Today's Football News:

Wayne Rooney will not play against Bayern Munich tonight. John O'Shea is likely to make his return to the squad.
Arjen Robben returns to the Bayern Munich squad tonight to face United. Daniel Van Buyten is also set to return.

In tonight's other Champions League fixture, Lyon vs Bordeaux, Lyon will be without the services of Lisandro Lopez who is suspended. Sidney Govou is also suspended.

Bordeaux have lost their last 3 matches in all competitions. Goalkeeper Cedric Carrasso will be in the first team though he is not fully recovered from injury. Alou Diarra is avaliable for tonight's fixture.

Predictions:

Man Utd 1 Bayern Munich 1

Bordeaux 0 Lyon 2

I think Lyon could get beat, Bordeaux have had a set-back in the League Cup but they are still a formidable team.

Oh and the Blues seem set to win the League after beating Glentoran at Windsor park http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8607623.stm
And its Derby night :D
Last edited by Fson on Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
by Wilgrove » Wed May 26, 2010 7:51 am

OMG, It's so obvious! Of course!! Science has lied to us!!!

It's time to abandon scientific progress and only look towards the Lord Jesus Christ (who is white of course) for guidance in all matters!

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General