NATION

PASSWORD

Christian Discussion Thread III

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What is your denomination?

Catholic
31%
Eastern Orthodox
10%
Non-Chalcedonian (Oriental Orthodox, Church of the East , etc.)
1%
Lutheran
7%
Baptist
10%
Reformed (Calvinism, Presbyterianism, etc.)
5%
Anglican/Episcopalian
6%
Restorationist (LDS Movement, Jehovah's Witness, etc.)
2%
Non-Denominational
15%
Other Christian
13%

Total votes : 981

Grand Longueville
Diplomat

Founded: May 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Grand Longueville » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:30 am

Blasveck wrote:
Tarsonis Survivors wrote:
True, but Liberal and Libertarian Catholics do the enround, "I don't agree, but I just don't think the Government should legislate it" schtick. Don't underestimate the Church's Power!

I don't. I'd certainly like that power to be used for good, if anything.

While I understand the traditions and reasons behind building fantastic, gorgeous, opulent churches, it's be nice if a little bit more of that money wen to helping the downtrodden, y'know?

Building churches does help the poor; it helps everyone. Plus, Holy Mother Church is the prime charitable contributor.
I am an unabashed Absolute Ultramontanist Monarchist. I am not a fascist.

I am a Catholic Seminarian, faithful to the Magisterium of Holy Mother Church, discerning a vocation to the Priesthood

Feel free to PM me!

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:35 am

A Catholic church in west Texas was criticized for its opulence, gilding, lovely stained glass, hand carving. They were told they lived in an area of poverty and should care for the poor.

They replied "We are those 'poor' you keep talking about. The average income for this parish is below that of even our impoverished county. We take care of each other. But this is our church, this is how we want to make ourselves happy, gain a sense of peace. Spend your money however you want, we are not using anything but our own resources. Leave us alone."
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Cill Airne
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Cill Airne » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:41 am

Blasveck wrote:
Tarsonis Survivors wrote:
True, but Liberal and Libertarian Catholics do the enround, "I don't agree, but I just don't think the Government should legislate it" schtick. Don't underestimate the Church's Power!

I don't. I'd certainly like that power to be used for good, if anything.

While I understand the traditions and reasons behind building fantastic, gorgeous, opulent churches, it's be nice if a little bit more of that money wen to helping the downtrodden, y'know?

I go to church to get my mind off of things. My parish is known for being poor, but the Cathedral was built in the mid to late 1800's. When I go I am able to forget that I don't have much money and that I have bills to pay, I'm able to feel rich through my spirituality and faith rather than poor and am reminded that I am poor because of the Church I attend.

The Church uses its own money to construct and maintain these churches - it also uses its money to help the downtrodden. It's the understatement of the year if you think it is not one of the biggest charity organizations in the entire world.
Anglican
Avid reader

To dare is to lose one’s footing momentarily. Not to dare is to lose oneself.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:45 pm

Nuverikstan wrote:1.Well I agree with everything except for the poverty one. Where I live we actually help the poor a lot, but I don't know about other churches.
2.Excatly. *Takes a whiff of the air* Smell that freedom.

1. The ones I've seen/been to actively condemn things that actually help the poor (like welfare programs). I don't feel like that's a Christian stance.

2. Psh. Republic of West Florida is best US annex.

EDIT: I have no clue how the hell I managed to mangle the quote code...
Last edited by Grenartia on Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:51 pm

Magna Libero wrote:
Nuverikstan wrote:1.Well I agree with everything except for the poverty one. Where I live we actually help the poor a lot, but I don't know about other churches.

1. Weird. I haven't heard of any anti- poor people churches. My churches help poor people and also evangelize in foreign poor countries and help them. :)

Your church isn't American and doesn't often ally itself with the GOP.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.

Agritum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Agritum » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:54 pm

Grenartia wrote:
Magna Libero wrote:1. Weird. I haven't heard of any anti- poor people churches. My churches help poor people and also evangelize in foreign poor countries and help them. :)

I mean, the Catholic Church itself here in Italy isn't exactly pro-welfare, but they would never dare to go to the lenght of the Christian Right in the US.

Conscentia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Conscentia » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:54 pm

Magna Libero wrote:1. Weird. I haven't heard of any anti- poor people churches. My churches help poor people and also evangelize in foreign poor countries and help them. :)

“Eskimo: "If I did not know about God and sin, would I go to hell?" Priest: "No, not if you did not know." Eskimo: "Then why did you tell me?"”

Agritum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Agritum » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:55 pm

Conscentia wrote:

“Eskimo: "If I did not know about God and sin, would I go to hell?" Priest: "No, not if you did not know." Eskimo: "Then why did you tell me?"”

Because priests are trolls.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:02 pm

Agritum wrote:
Grenartia wrote:

I mean, the Catholic Church itself here in Italy isn't exactly pro-welfare, but they would never dare to go to the lenght of the Christian Right in the US.

That's another thing I don't get. Why would the Catholic Church, of all institutions, be opposed to welfare? You'd think that if they were as concerned for the impoverished and downtrodden as they say, they'd welcome the extra help.

Conscentia wrote:

And that's part of why I don't believe in actively trying to convert people. In addition to the fact that doing so violates the bit Jesus preached about 'doing unto others'. I feel the best way a Christian can fulfill the Great Commission is not by shoving our religion down others' throats, but by living our lives in such a way that people will want to learn more about Christianity (and even become Christians themselves).

Agritum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Agritum » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:12 pm

Grenartia wrote:
Agritum wrote:I mean, the Catholic Church itself here in Italy isn't exactly pro-welfare, but they would never dare to go to the lenght of the Christian Right in the US.

That's another thing I don't get. Why would the Catholic Church, of all institutions, be opposed to welfare? You'd think that if they were as concerned for the impoverished and downtrodden as they say, they'd welcome the extra help.

Conscentia wrote:“Eskimo: "If I did not know about God and sin, would I go to hell?" Priest: "No, not if you did not know." Eskimo: "Then why did you tell me?"”

And that's part of why I don't believe in actively trying to convert people. In addition to the fact that doing so violates the bit Jesus preached about 'doing unto others'. I feel the best way a Christian can fulfill the Great Commission is not by shoving our religion down others' throats, but by living our lives in such a way that people will want to learn more about Christianity (and even become Christians themselves).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_s ... bsidiarity

Irredento
Envoy

Founded: Mar 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Irredento » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:40 pm

As a distributist and proponent of Catholic social teaching who volunteers to help the local homeless, I almost have to scoff at the notion that the Church does not contribute its fair share to charity.

Wherever the Catholic Church goes, so too have its opulent cathedrals, but wherever there is a cathedral you can be sure that there is several hundred times more charity going on in its immediate area than there would be without such a centre of Catholic faith. Our Roman Catholic Church is the biggest charitable organisation in the world after all.

In many ways you could consider our faith and charity to be the exact opposite of the greed philosophy espoused by some of those protestant churches in the US who ally themselves to the laissez faire capitalism of the Republican Party. Take a look at this article if you doubt my assertion.

Nuverikstan
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nuverikstan » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:49 pm

Grenartia wrote:

1. The ones I've seen/been to actively condemn things that actually help the poor (like welfare programs). I don't feel like that's a Christian stance.

Oh you mean anti welfare. I am against it myself because it doesn't work anymore if it did. Maybe back in the 1900 it worked, but it seems now days more people abuse it. Consider what happen in Louisiana last year. The welfare cards stopped working and Walmart allowed people to still use them. And this one lady they found out later had only 69 cents left bought a 32 inch tv. Along with many other people who had barely anything on their card. Now you can say it was Walmart's fault, but those people had a choice to be honest or not and they chose not. So I see the welfare system as bad for our country.
Myers Briggs: ENTP-A
8values: N/A

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:03 pm

Irredento wrote:As a distributist and proponent of Catholic social teaching who volunteers to help the local homeless, I almost have to scoff at the notion that the Church does not contribute its fair share to charity.

Wherever the Catholic Church goes, so too have its opulent cathedrals, but wherever there is a cathedral you can be sure that there is several hundred times more charity going on in its immediate area than there would be without such a centre of Catholic faith. Our Roman Catholic Church is the biggest charitable organisation in the world after all.

In many ways you could consider our faith and charity to be the exact opposite of the greed philosophy espoused by some of those protestant churches in the US who ally themselves to the laissez faire capitalism of the Republican Party. Take a look at this article if you doubt my assertion.

I'd just like to say that I didn't mean to imply that the Church wasn't generous. Rather, that one would think that given its policies, it would be supportive of welfare, as every dollar (or whatever currency) that the state uses to help the poor means one less dollar the Church has to give to an individual, thus meaning it can help more people.

Nuverikstan wrote:
Grenartia wrote:

Oh you mean anti welfare. I am against it myself because it doesn't work anymore if it did. Maybe back in the 1900 it worked, but it seems now days more people abuse it. Consider what happen in Louisiana last year. The welfare cards stopped working and Walmart allowed people to still use them. And this one lady they found out later had only 69 cents left bought a 32 inch tv. Along with many other people who had barely anything on their card. Now you can say it was Walmart's fault, but those people had a choice to be honest or not and they chose not. So I see the welfare system as bad for our country.

:roll:

Because isolated incidents are totally indicative of how the majority of welfare money is spent. Implying that steps can't be taken to insure that the few people who do abuse the system are unable to, without keeping the people who need it from getting it.
Implying that keeping those few people from abusing the system is better than making sure poor people don't starve and die in the streets.

Bundesdeutschland
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Bundesdeutschland » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:13 pm

Grenartia wrote:
Agritum wrote:I mean, the Catholic Church itself here in Italy isn't exactly pro-welfare, but they would never dare to go to the lenght of the Christian Right in the US.

Conscentia wrote:“Eskimo: "If I did not know about God and sin, would I go to hell?" Priest: "No, not if you did not know." Eskimo: "Then why did you tell me?"”

You can certainly TELL them about Christianity, but forcing it down people's throats? That's not a good thing.

Like it's always says, spread the Seed, let God do the growing. Basically free choice.
I'm a Christian and an avid Star Wars fan!!!
My nation generally reflects my views, but don't entirely assume that. Also, I like telegrams. Please telegram me!

Member of Transversal Red Cross and Western Coalition. IATA Member
Political compass-
Economic left/right: -3.25
Social libertarian/authoritarianism: 0.0

“We know nothing of religion here: we only think of Christ.” -C.S. Lewis.

“I didn’t go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity.”-C.S. Lewis.

Menassa
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:28 pm

Grenartia wrote:

That idea seems more Jewish than it does Christian...
Remember what Amalek did to you on your journey --- Do not Forget!
Their hollow inheritance.
This is my god and I shall exalt him
Jewish Discussion Thread בְּ
"A missionary uses the Bible like a drunk uses a lamppost, not so much for illumination, but for support"
"Imagine of a bunch of Zulu tribesmen told Congress how to read the Constitution, that's how it feels to a Jew when you tell us how to read our bible"
"God said: you must teach, as I taught, without a fee."
"Against your will you are formed, against your will you are born, against your will you live, against your will you die, and against your will you are destined to give a judgement and accounting before the king, king of all kings..."

Bundesdeutschland
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Bundesdeutschland » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:51 pm

Menassa wrote:
Grenartia wrote:

That idea seems more Jewish than it does Christian...

Wasn't Jesus Jewish?
I'm a Christian and an avid Star Wars fan!!!
My nation generally reflects my views, but don't entirely assume that. Also, I like telegrams. Please telegram me!

Member of Transversal Red Cross and Western Coalition. IATA Member
Political compass-
Economic left/right: -3.25
Social libertarian/authoritarianism: 0.0

“We know nothing of religion here: we only think of Christ.” -C.S. Lewis.

“I didn’t go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity.”-C.S. Lewis.

Menassa
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:52 pm

Bundesdeutschland wrote:
Menassa wrote:That idea seems more Jewish than it does Christian...

Wasn't Jesus Jewish?

If he was born from Mary...
"A missionary uses the Bible like a drunk uses a lamppost, not so much for illumination, but for support"
"Imagine of a bunch of Zulu tribesmen told Congress how to read the Constitution, that's how it feels to a Jew when you tell us how to read our bible"
"Against your will you are formed, against your will you are born, against your will you live, against your will you die, and against your will you are destined to give a judgement and accounting before the king, king of all kings..."

Nuverikstan
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nuverikstan » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:06 pm

Conscentia wrote:

I do not believe in that. Because if it were true God would say don't tell anyone about Christ so they can go to heaven. He says go tell the world. So that makes me believe that if you haven't heard about God you are not going to heaven.
Myers Briggs: ENTP-A
8values: N/A

Menassa
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:07 pm

Nuverikstan wrote:

I do not believe in that. Because if it were true God would say don't tell anyone about Christ so they can go to heaven. He says go tell the world. So that makes me believe that if you haven't heard about God you are not going to heaven.

So that means that if you do not believe in the Christian God you are not going to heaven?

Vazdania
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdania » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:12 pm

Nuverikstan wrote:

Well then, there must be billions and billions of people in hell then, according to that logic.
NSG's Resident Constitutional Executive Monarchist!
We Monarchists Stand With The Morals Of The Past, As We Hatch Impossible Treasons Against The Present.

They Have No Voice; So I will Speak For Them. The Right To Life Is Fundamental To All Humans Regardless Of How Developed They Are. Pro-Woman. Pro-Child. Pro-Life.

NSG's Newest Vegetarian!

Othelos
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Othelos » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:15 pm

Conscentia wrote:

That's a funny loophole.

To save everyone, we should all get memory wiped.

The Norgan Alliance
Minister

Founded: Feb 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Norgan Alliance » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:16 pm

Vazdania wrote:
Nuverikstan wrote:I do not believe in that. Because if it were true God would say don't tell anyone about Christ so they can go to heaven. He says go tell the world. So that makes me believe that if you haven't heard about God you are not going to heaven.

Well then, there must be billions and billions of people in hell then, according to that logic.

Isn't there some verse along the lines of: "Those who have been given much will be expected much of them, those who have been given little will be expected little of them." or am I imagining things?
Call me Norga and I'll give you a cookie
|No Left Turn|
"When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons." ~ Principle Scudworth, 2003
The Liberated Territories wrote:Ancestry: Murican
Ethnicity: Murican
Race: Murican

Murica

Irredento
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Irredento » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:42 pm

Vazdania wrote:
Nuverikstan wrote:I do not believe in that. Because if it were true God would say don't tell anyone about Christ so they can go to heaven. He says go tell the world. So that makes me believe that if you haven't heard about God you are not going to heaven.

Yeah, I believe that souls who do not know the Good News will spend some time in Purgatory so long as they lived decent lives and are therefore in a state of grace when they die.

However, no one stays in Purgatory forever, nor do they go to Hell, so Heaven does await them in the end.

The reason we spread the gospel is because God wishes His people to live according to His will so that they might be happy and fulfilled while serving Him. We do not want God to look down on a Godless world akin to a global Sodom and feel regret over having created us.

Menassa
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:44 pm

Irredento wrote:
Vazdania wrote:Well then, there must be billions and billions of people in hell then, according to that logic.

Yeah, I believe that souls who do not know the Good News will spend some time in Purgatory so long as they lived decent lives and are therefore in a state of grace when they die.

However, no one stays in Purgatory forever, nor do they go to Hell, so Heaven does await them in the end.

The reason we spread the gospel is because God wishes His people to live according to His will so that they might be happy and fulfilled while serving Him. We do not want God to look down on a Godless world akin to a global Sodom and feel regret over having created us.

*shrug*
He said he'd never destroy it again, so I don't really see the problem.

Irredento
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Irredento » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:52 pm

Menassa wrote:
Irredento wrote:Yeah, I believe that souls who do not know the Good News will spend some time in Purgatory so long as they lived decent lives and are therefore in a state of grace when they die.

*shrug*
He said he'd never destroy it again, so I don't really see the problem.

That's not the point. I do not want to upset God regardless of what might happen to me. The things I have suffered in my life are nothing compared to the pain He suffered on the cross for our sins.

All good Christians remember His sacrifice and will not allow it to have been in vain.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General