NATION

PASSWORD

End the lies: The Confederacy was about slavery

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Phenia
Senator

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Phenia » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:08 pm

Derscon wrote:So?

Basically, what I'm getting is that "People can have self-determination, unless I don't like their opinions." Cool story bro.

I don't know where you're getting that from.

Bryn Shander
Ambassador

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Bryn Shander » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:09 pm

Vervaria wrote:

Basically, what I'm getting is that "People can have self-determination, unless I don't like their opinions." Cool story bro.

Slavery was the straw that broke the camel's back, yes, and the direct cause of secession. However, it is intensely intellectually dishonest to lay everything on the backs of "They just want to whip them negro folk." Did the states secede because of slavery? Yes. Was the War of Northern Aggression fought because of slavery? Not by a long shot.

Funny, I seem to recall reading something about the South firing on Federal property.....

Funny, I seem to recall Yankee troops squatting on Confederate property.
The Jannarii Empire | Founder of the Hermes Alliance
Bryn Shander is the capital city. Jannath is the homeworld. The adjective for the people is Jannarii, while the adjective for the people that live in the capital and the ethnic group that lived in the Kingdom of Bryn Shander before planetary unification is Shanderan. Shanderan is also the name of the language spoken in the Jannarii Empire.
FT Map of the Milky Way | Qustions and Answers concerning the Jannarii Empire.
NS Futuretech on Facebook | NS Futuretech on IRC | NS Balls | NS Trainers
IBNFTW local 8492

Vervaria
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 31, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Vervaria » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:09 pm

Bryn Shander wrote:
Vervaria wrote:

Slavery was the straw that broke the camel's back, yes, and the direct cause of secession. However, it is intensely intellectually dishonest to lay everything on the backs of "They just want to whip them negro folk." Did the states secede because of slavery? Yes. Was the War of Northern Aggression fought because of slavery? Not by a long shot.

Funny, I seem to recall reading something about the South firing on Federal property.....

Fort Sumter was Federal, not state property.
Lulz: viewtopic.php?p=2707685#p2707685
Fact book
Robustian wrote:If you disagree with me, you are wrong. Period.

Ashmoria wrote:it worries me more when people who hate the government and dont think it can do a good job at anything get into power and start running things.

Wanderjar wrote:hiding behind this "I WANT SOURCES" wall is very quaint

Self--Esteem wrote:No. I love smearing those people who evidently like their country blown by a nuke and who are too foolish to realise that middle-eastern terrorism is nothing to be fond of.

Novistranaya wrote:After the Civil War, the majority of Southerners were more than happy to accept defeat and acknowledge the fact that (though not immediately) blacks were going to have the same rights as them.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:09 pm

Yootopia wrote:
Maurepas wrote:New Orleans was the most prosperous city, but, it was largely only prosperous for itself, through the port and the various gambling/bars involved, still is to this day really...

That cotton's worth nothing to the CSA if they can't get it out of the country, and New Orleans was about the best port to sell from. That's why they were absolutely shafted after the situation there fell out of the Confederacy's hands.

yeah, but, the Blockade, and the fact that Britain figured out it's cheaper to get the same thing in India put the nail in that coffin well before New Orleans fell...

And from a Military perspective, the war can, and did, continue long after that economic "advantage" is gone...

My 3rd Floor Flat
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby My 3rd Floor Flat » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:10 pm

Yootopia wrote:Mmm yes, please take everything I said and multiply it ad retardedum.

The USA and CSA shared a land border, the USA and UK didn't. As soon as you get random states popping up all over the place in fairly established states, Things Start To Go Wrong. See the entirely unsurprising takeover of Mexico by European powers while the US was distracted. The US was already approaching its proper size by the time of the Civil War, unlike when it was just some shitty towns that wanted to secede.

If you're right next to a country in which Things Are Going Wrong, people are going to be a lot more understanding if you go in and change it than if it's all the way across the sea, especially when that changing is being done against a bunch of hicks who are propping up the slave trade at a time when it was not in fashion.

This is why the US seceeding from the UK was seen by the international community, and has been recorded in posterity, as an Alright Thing, and why the CSA getting its arse kicked by its territorial neighbour has also been recorded as Probably A Good Thing.

Yes capital letters always solve everything...

In anycase, it comes down to who won, the winners write history after all.
Nadkor wrote: One of the things you'll notice about the BBC is that it gets accused of bias by everyone.

Mad hatters in jeans wrote:
Crabulonia wrote:^ Very pleased that 3rd Floor Flat is voting same as I.

3rd floor flat is pretty sharp so you can count yourself lucky.

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:10 pm

Bryn Shander wrote:
Vervaria wrote:

You recall wrong.
Life's Short. Munch Tacos.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

Natapoc
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Natapoc » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:10 pm

Not really. People have the right to self determination. And that is the end of it.

People with darker skin have that right to self determination and always have. Slavery was an institution that violated it in the most extreme ways imaginable. War against the slave owners was not just acceptable or justifiable. It would be unethical to not do everything possible (including acts of violence) to liberate them.
Did you see a ghost?

Panzerjaeger
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Panzerjaeger » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:10 pm

Maurepas wrote:
Yootopia wrote:
Maurepas wrote:New Orleans was the most prosperous city, but, it was largely only prosperous for itself, through the port and the various gambling/bars involved, still is to this day really...

That cotton's worth nothing to the CSA if they can't get it out of the country, and New Orleans was about the best port to sell from. That's why they were absolutely shafted after the situation there fell out of the Confederacy's hands.

yeah, but, the Blockade, and the fact that Britain figured out it's cheaper to get the same thing in India put the nail in that coffin well before New Orleans fell...

And from a Military perspective, the war can, and did, continue long after that economic "advantage" is gone...

Largely due to Northern Incompetence well and brilliant warfighting by Lee, Stuart, Longstreet and Jackson. :p
Friendly Neighborhood Fascist™
ФАШИЗМ БЕЗГРАНИЧНЫЙ И КРАСНЫЙ
Caninope wrote:Toyota: Keep moving forward, even when you don't want to!

Christmahanikwanzikah wrote:Timothy McVeigh casts... Pyrotechnics!

Greater Americania wrote:lol "No Comrade Ivan! Don't stick your head in there! That's the wood chi...!"

New Kereptica wrote:Fascism: because people are too smart nowadays.

North Suran
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby North Suran » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:10 pm

Phenia wrote:

I don't know where you're getting that from.

I think he's referring to the fact that people claim the US Declaration of Indepence was justified because it had "important reasons" behind it (i.e. taxes), while the Southern Declaration of Secession is seen to be 'wrong' because it did not have "important reasons" behind it.

The answer to that, of course, being that history is written by the victors.
Neu Mitanni wrote:As for NS, his latest statement is grounded in ignorance and contrary to fact, much to the surprise of all NSGers.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:10 pm

Vervaria wrote:
Bryn Shander wrote:
Vervaria wrote:

And irrelevant, it was in South Carolina, when it seceded, the Federal Government no longer had any authority over it...Anymore than Britain owned its forts in the United States after we declared Independence...

Natapoc
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Natapoc » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:11 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Bryn Shander wrote:
Vervaria wrote:

You recall wrong.

That was me... I went back in time and pooped on their lawn.
Did you see a ghost?

North Suran
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby North Suran » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:12 pm

Natapoc wrote:

Not really. People have the right to self determination. And that is the end of it.

People with darker skin have that right to self determination and always have. Slavery was an institution that violated it in the most extreme ways imaginable. War against the slave owners was not just acceptable or justifiable. It would be unethical to not do everything possible (including acts of violence) to liberate them.

So they went to war because they wanted to be ethical?
Neu Mitanni wrote:As for NS, his latest statement is grounded in ignorance and contrary to fact, much to the surprise of all NSGers.

Panzerjaeger
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Panzerjaeger » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:12 pm

Maurepas wrote:
Vervaria wrote:
Bryn Shander wrote:
Vervaria wrote:

And irrelevant, it was in South Carolina, when it seceded, the Federal Government no longer had any authority over it...Anymore than Britain owned its forts in the United States after we declared Independence...

If the fort still belonged to the North would that mean the Citadel still belonged to the North? Thus Sherman should be arrested for dereliction of duty for leaving the school in the first place. :lol:

Greater Americania wrote:lol "No Comrade Ivan! Don't stick your head in there! That's the wood chi...!"

Techno-Soviet
Senator

Founded: Jan 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Techno-Soviet » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:12 pm

Palledonia wrote:Who on here is defending the Confederacy?

I could name a few...

EDIT:

That man is amazing.
Last edited by Techno-Soviet on Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[align=center]Economic Tyranny/Libertarian: 6.38
Social Libertarian/Tyranny: -3.33

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:13 pm

Natapoc wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Bryn Shander wrote:
Vervaria wrote:

You recall wrong.

That was me... I went back in time and pooped on their lawn.

I officially endorse this application of time travel. :)
Life's Short. Munch Tacos.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

Melkor Unchained
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Melkor Unchained » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:14 pm

Phenia wrote:
Melkor Unchained wrote:But has anyone pointed out yet (especially after all this talk about Britain) that slavery began under European rule, and that the colonies were set up to depend on it? Not that I'm defending the practice, but I can't help but roll my eyes when Europeans wax judgmental on American race relations. Not saying that's happening in this thread, but I find it intensely hypocritical when Euros scold us over slavery when they were still slaughtering Africans well after the US Civil war.

They had however outlawed slavery before the US did.

Yeah, but not that long before. If Europe abolished slavery 100 years earlier and didn't practice violent colonialism, I'd probably respect their criticism a bit more than I presently do. But to say, in effect, that we're morally inferior because we didn't abolish a system that at least half of our country was built to rely on "soon enough" is what really grates me, especially considering many Europeans' blithe ignorance about what their own governments were doing at the exact same time.

And it's not as if the US wasn't slaughtering people in the name of imperialism after the ACW. Philippine-American War for example. The "pacification campaign."

Oh, for sure. I doubt there's any government out there that doesn't have some blood on their hands, and America's conduct has certainly not been above reproach.
Last edited by Melkor Unchained on Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I am the Elder King: Melkor, first and mightiest of the Valar, who was before the world, and made it. The shadow of my purpose lies upon Arda, and all that is in it bends slowly and surely to my will. But upon all whom you love my thought shall weigh as a cloud of Doom, and it shall bring them down into darkness and despair."

Yootopia
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Yootopia » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:14 pm

Maurepas wrote:From a Military perspective, the war can, and did, continue long after that economic "advantage" is gone...

The US civil war didn't last for a long time.
End the Modigarchy now.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:16 pm

Yootopia wrote:
Maurepas wrote:From a Military perspective, the war can, and did, continue long after that economic "advantage" is gone...

It lasted as long as WWII for the US at least, ;)

But, I think it could've gone on longer than it did if the places I mentioned had remained unconquered, Sherman kinda took care of that, however...

Yootopia
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Yootopia » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:16 pm

Maurepas wrote:
Yootopia wrote:

To reiterate, the US civil war didn't last for a long time.
End the Modigarchy now.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:17 pm

Yootopia wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Yootopia wrote:

Touché, I suppose, :lol2:

I guess our definitions of long time differ...

Panzerjaeger
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Panzerjaeger » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:18 pm

Techno-Soviet wrote:
Palledonia wrote:Who on here is defending the Confederacy?

I could name a few...

EDIT:

That man is amazing.

Sherman is a badass no doubt.

Natapoc
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Natapoc » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:18 pm

Maurepas wrote:
Yootopia wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Yootopia wrote:

Touché, I suppose, :lol2:

I guess our definitions of long time differ...

From the flags flying in some parts of the south I'm not sure the civil war is over yet (to some people).
Did you see a ghost?

Phenia
Senator

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Phenia » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:19 pm

Maurepas wrote:
Vervaria wrote:
Bryn Shander wrote:
Vervaria wrote:

The authority of the USA doesn't just magically evaporate because a bunch of slave-owning yokels decide to take their toys and go home.

It is unreasonable in the extreme to expect a military base held by the US government to leave immediately the moment the local anti-USA crowd decides to call their rebellious treason a "confederacy."

And furthermore it is nothing but an act of war to then fire on that fort. But even IF as you say that Fort Sumter magically transferred authority and ownership to the Confederacy, then pray tell, why was the Confederacy attacking its own fort? Oh, right- just attacking the troops there. Golly, it's almost like they wanted to start a war or something!
:roll:

The Confederacy fanboyism here is nauseating..

Lacadaemon
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Lacadaemon » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:19 pm

Melkor Unchained wrote:Yeah, but not that long before. If Europe abolished slavery 100 years earlier and didn't practice violent colonialism, I'd probably respect their criticism a bit more than I presently do. But to say, in effect, that we're morally inferior because we didn't abolish a system that at least half of our country was built to rely on "soon enough" is what really grates me, especially considering many Europeans' blithe ignorance about what their own governments were doing at the exact same time.

True that. It's not like the British weren't thrilled with the sugar islands they got from the deal.
The kind of middle-class mentality which actuates both those responsible for strategy and government has little knowledge of the new psychology and organizing ability of the totalitarian States. The forces we are fighting are governed neither by the old strategy nor follow the old tactics.

Vervaria
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 31, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Vervaria » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:19 pm

Maurepas wrote:
Vervaria wrote:
Bryn Shander wrote:
Vervaria wrote:

Not necessarily, the US has military bases in other countries....
Lulz: viewtopic.php?p=2707685#p2707685
Fact book
Robustian wrote:If you disagree with me, you are wrong. Period.

Ashmoria wrote:it worries me more when people who hate the government and dont think it can do a good job at anything get into power and start running things.

Wanderjar wrote:hiding behind this "I WANT SOURCES" wall is very quaint

Self--Esteem wrote:No. I love smearing those people who evidently like their country blown by a nuke and who are too foolish to realise that middle-eastern terrorism is nothing to be fond of.

Novistranaya wrote:After the Civil War, the majority of Southerners were more than happy to accept defeat and acknowledge the fact that (though not immediately) blacks were going to have the same rights as them.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General