NATION

PASSWORD

Super Hero High: Prometheus Rising (OOC, Open)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Corrian
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 19, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:25 am

So I was busy getting kicked in the feels and I was just going to go to bed...But then I just lay there in bed thinking about posting on Super Hero High, and eventually went screw it and posted first.

Oh mind, you're so silly sometimes.

Altruistic Paladins wrote:An odd thing I learned years ago that I forget about the reason of why I learned it: national affiliates of the ICRC are the ones who handle disaster relief, so it would specifically be the national affiliate of Japan (the Japanese Red Cross Society) that would be handling disaster relief. The actual ICRC is dedicated to upholding the Geneva Conventions and assisting civilian populations in war zones and organizing medical care in the conflict and arbitrating for warring parties rather than providing disaster relief.

On another note, I decided to have some fun and try to figure out what the emergency response to a nuclear explosion in Tokyo would probably involve.

Something Interesting I have not found is evidence of Japan having CBRN defense capabilities, so it is probable that Japan would rely upon CBRN assets from other nations. Due to already having assets within Japan and its defense obligations and the incident definitely being what the Chief of Staffs would call a "Pinnacle", it is probable that the United States would deploy the USAF CBRN defense personnel already stationed within Japan, some probably already within the metropolis due to Yokota Air Base (from the description of the distance at which the bomb was instantly lethal and an understanding that such an event would probably have been done in Chiyoda City [Tokyo is basically a prefecture rather than a city], Yokata Air Base would be well out of the way of the radiological threat). The USDoE's Nuclear Emergency Support Teams would probably send hundreds of personnel to Tokyo in response to the threat due to population density. Other response from the United States would probably be the deployment of the US Army's Chemical Corps and the USMC's Chemical Biological Incident Response Force. In addition to that, we can expect the FDNY to deploy HAZMAT-capable personnel to the city alongside various other HAZMAT-capable fire departments.

There are other CBRN assets that may be deployed should Japan agree to their deployment and the governments involving having the logistics capabilities to actually run CBRN defense operations within Japan. China may deploy members of the Honk Kong Fire Services Department due to their HAZMAT training. Canada's CBRN defense, due to having a large amount of CBRN defense handled by local governments, is likely to deploy municipal emergency services to Japan such as CAN-TF3. Similarly, the United Kingdom actually expects emergency services to maintain some level of CBRN defense capabilities, so it is likely that assets could come from the United Kingdom as well.

Going beyond the question of CBRN defense, there would be question of casualties. For simplicity, I shall make every number 1/3 of the stated statistic of Little Boy for simplicity's sake since 500 out of 1600 is close enough for somebody who does not feel any interest in mathematics. Including the blast, everything within 1,166 meters of the bomb would probably be destroyed. There would also be the problem of a 123 meter fireball 123 meters in diameter which would probably inspire the creation of a fire-line around the blast-damaged area since 20 minutes after the detonation there is really high chance that a firestorm with a diameter of 1066 meters will happen that can spread from there (also 20 minutes after the blast will be all of the radioactive material in the mushroom cloud landing). Due to the fact it was not an air burst, there would be a crater and fallout. The radius at which radiation will definitely be lethal to anybody without sufficient protection will be about 433 meters.

Due to the probable location within Chiyoda City, it is possible that such places as the National Diet Building could be within the 1,166 meter range of buildings that are utterly destroyed, putting major government figures into the casualty count or possibly members of the Imperial House of Japan. Considering the population density of Chiyoda City and the range at which people are going to be instantly killed, immediate casualties could be around 4,564.

Due to population density, what would be needed in addition to CBRN defense assets for firefighting and S&R would probably be medical assistance. There would be an influx of potentially tens of thousands of new patients into hospitals from injuries most likely caused by the firestorm (assuming it happens) and secondly from radiation injuries. Because of this, what could be expected would be for a response would be an attempt by emergency services to create a fire break around the blast-damaged area while CBRN defense assets, most likely from Yokota Air Base initially, would handle S&R. Also attempted would probably be the establishment of triage to categorize people by severity of injuries and somewhat alleviate the sudden influx of people by directing the less seriously injured to either hospitals further away or to aid stations. As assistance arrives, field hospitals will be established by the JSDF, Japanese Red Cross Society, and US Military (including the newly reactivated 4077th Mobile Army Surgical Hospital which will be deployed from Korea of course). Non-CRBN defense assets deployed to Tokyo will most likely be medical in nature. Due to the date of the thread, the USNS Mercy hospital ship will not be available due to participation in Operation Damayan, though the Chinese Navy's Peace Ark will not have deployed at the time and might be offered as assistance.

One wonders how this incident will affect the IC 2020 Summer Olympics that are to be held in Tokyo.

You have too much time on your hands :P

And on a random subject: The fact Tokyo got the 2020 Summer Olympics disappointed me. Tokyo has had it enough. That's just kind of a...boring choice to me. I wanted Istanbul to win, though they kind of screwed that up with their response to the protesters. I'd of loved to see one there. Madrid would of probably been cooler then Tokyo, as well.

I just want something...different. And I can see a Turkey Olympic Opening Ceremony being really awesome.
My Last.FM and RYM

Look on the bright side, one day you'll be dead~Street Sects

Orinon
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 08, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Orinon » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:29 am

I like to think Cassie's pleading voice has the same effect on Josh as puppy eyes do on most other people.
I did some threads a long ass time ago that some people care about Iunno ya'll crazy.

Answers to Orinon or Watery. Part time author, part time gas station attendant, full time cynical bastard.

Altruistic Paladins
Senator

Founded: Feb 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Altruistic Paladins » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:54 am

Corrian wrote:You have too much time on your hands :P

That took me only about an hour to compile.
By Hits Holy Hand,
The Imperial Majesty Emperor Norton II of the People of the DSA and Protector of Ukraine
Inaugurated 12:06 A.M. Ecuador Standard Time, June 26, 2014; crowned 12:23 A.M. EST; June 26, 2014; instituted the Separation of Positions 1:07 A.M. EST, June 26, 2014; retired from office 4:58 P.M. EST, June 27, 2014; returned to office 1:05 A.M. EST, June 30, 2014; retired again 12:05 P.M. EST

Mighty Asgard
Minister

Founded: Jan 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Mighty Asgard » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:08 pm

Altruistic Paladins wrote:

"Only"... You keep using that word, but I don't think you know what it means.

Altruistic Paladins
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Altruistic Paladins » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:23 pm

Mighty Asgard wrote:

What? I am quite lazy. I completely disregarded the electro-magnetic pulse that a bomb of that yield would produce since I would have to solve for yield first from the blast you described then use that number to determine the electro-magnetic pulse and took shortcuts in my math by acting as though we were dealing with 1/3 the yield when what was actually happening is 5/16 yield.
By Hits Holy Hand,
The Imperial Majesty Emperor Norton II of the People of the DSA and Protector of Ukraine
Inaugurated 12:06 A.M. Ecuador Standard Time, June 26, 2014; crowned 12:23 A.M. EST; June 26, 2014; instituted the Separation of Positions 1:07 A.M. EST, June 26, 2014; retired from office 4:58 P.M. EST, June 27, 2014; returned to office 1:05 A.M. EST, June 30, 2014; retired again 12:05 P.M. EST

Orinon
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Orinon » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:47 pm

Mighty Asgard wrote:

I did some threads a long ass time ago that some people care about Iunno ya'll crazy.

Answers to Orinon or Watery. Part time author, part time gas station attendant, full time cynical bastard.

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:03 pm

My ADD doesn't let me spend an hour looking into stuff like that.

Altruistic Paladins wrote:What? I am quite lazy. I completely disregarded the electro-magnetic pulse that a bomb of that yield would produce since I would have to solve for yield first from the blast you described then use that number to determine the electro-magnetic pulse and took shortcuts in my math by acting as though we were dealing with 1/3 the yield when what was actually happening is 5/16 yield.

Now you're just showing off :P

Orinon wrote:I like to think Cassie's pleading voice has the same effect on Josh as puppy eyes do on most other people.

:lol:
Last edited by Corrian on Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Last.FM and RYM

Orinon
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Orinon » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:09 pm

Well he has developed an immunity to puppy eyes after growing up with a trouble making twin sister and his, in his eyes, adorable best friend/ sister.

Altruistic Paladins
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Altruistic Paladins » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:07 pm

Orinon wrote:
Mighty Asgard wrote:"Only"... You keep using that word, but I don't think you know what it means.

Last edited by Altruistic Paladins on Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Hits Holy Hand,

Sensorland
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sensorland » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:32 am

Sensorland wrote:Name: ThunderSnow (Secret Identity: Jake Pratt)
Nationality: American
Height: 5'9
Weight: 120 Lbs
Hair: Black, spike upwards (Unless combed down with special hair gel)
Eyes: Yellow
Costume (if any): Sky blue cape; grey shirt with lightning design on it; crisp white pants (that never get dirty... ever); utility belt, black boots.
Abilities: Can fly, produce snofrom bare hands, produce electro-shock snow from bare hands, immune to being electrified, controls snow, able to change clouds ever-so-slightly, and (A huge attack that takes up all his energy) can summon a large blizzard and lightning storm at the same time, AKA the thundersnow. He barely ever uses this attack, as it weakens him greatly, and could possibly kill him.
Dorm: Heroes
Brief Bio: Was out in a thundersnow (it's a real word) storm. Was struck by lighting the very second a snowflake touched his lip. Woke up to find he had been spared, but couldn't get his hair back to normal. Later discovered his powers when he was in a snowball fight with his older brother.

Am I accepted?
Sensorland of the West Pacific
I mostly use NS stats
Just here to have a good time
Author of issue #1325
Social liberal, Georgist, atheist, vegan

Mighty Asgard
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mighty Asgard » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:39 am

Sensorland wrote:
Sensorland wrote:Name: ThunderSnow (Secret Identity: Jake Pratt)
Nationality: American
Height: 5'9
Weight: 120 Lbs
Hair: Black, spike upwards (Unless combed down with special hair gel)
Eyes: Yellow
Costume (if any): Sky blue cape; grey shirt with lightning design on it; crisp white pants (that never get dirty... ever); utility belt, black boots.
Abilities: Can fly, produce snofrom bare hands, produce electro-shock snow from bare hands, immune to being electrified, controls snow, able to change clouds ever-so-slightly, and (A huge attack that takes up all his energy) can summon a large blizzard and lightning storm at the same time, AKA the thundersnow. He barely ever uses this attack, as it weakens him greatly, and could possibly kill him.
Dorm: Heroes
Brief Bio: Was out in a thundersnow (it's a real word) storm. Was struck by lighting the very second a snowflake touched his lip. Woke up to find he had been spared, but couldn't get his hair back to normal. Later discovered his powers when he was in a snowball fight with his older brother.

Am I accepted?

Sorry about that, must have forgotten to reply. As long as the large combined blizzard/thunderstorm is of a more localized variety, i.e. not something that covers enormous areas or something like that: accepted.

Sensorland
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Sensorland » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:21 pm

Thanks then, how should I come in?
I mostly use NS stats
Author of issue #1325

Mighty Asgard
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mighty Asgard » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:37 pm

Sensorland wrote:Thanks then, how should I come in?

Arriving at the station by shuttle or writing that your character has actually been there all along are the most common methods.

Sensorland
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Sensorland » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:05 pm

Mighty Asgard wrote:
Sensorland wrote:Thanks then, how should I come in?

Arriving at the station by shuttle or writing that your character has actually been there all along are the most common methods.

I'd prefer to choose the first one, it will allow me to get familiar with the situattion. If I'm correct, the students are being alerted of a nuclear crisis?
I mostly use NS stats
Author of issue #1325

Orinon
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Orinon » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:35 pm

I possess the latest in lazy posting technology.

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:34 am

Orinon wrote:I possess the latest in lazy posting technology.

Meanwhile, your lazy post is giving me ideas for a big post.
My Last.FM and RYM

Orinon
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Orinon » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:25 am

Corrian wrote:
Orinon wrote:I possess the latest in lazy posting technology.

Meanwhile, your lazy post is giving me ideas for a big post.

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:44 am

Orinon wrote:
Corrian wrote:Meanwhile, your lazy post is giving me ideas for a big post.

This will be me after I finish The Walking Dead: The Game

And this was probably me after The Last of Us.
My Last.FM and RYM

Orinon
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Orinon » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:04 am

My reaction to finishing a game I committed a lot of time to:

Altruistic Paladins
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Altruistic Paladins » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:43 pm

Huh, I am starting to see how the guy who controls Antonio thought that Bramwell could become a senator in spite of having nothing to indicate any level of charisma necessary to win elections. Unlike such people as Sturm Thurmond, he needs no phone book to filibuster; he just needs a wall with two dots and a curved line.
Last edited by Altruistic Paladins on Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Hits Holy Hand,

Altruistic Paladins
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Altruistic Paladins » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:00 pm

Mighty Asgard wrote:Mister Pratt

Okay, I am done laughing at what happens when you remove one letter from the name.
By Hits Holy Hand,

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:21 am

Screw sleep when you got the last few episodes of a TV to watch, despite your eyes telling you to stop at the clock saying 3:20 AM saying to go to bed.
My Last.FM and RYM

Orinon
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Orinon » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:08 am

Corrian wrote:Screw sleep when you got the last few episodes of a TV to watch, despite your eyes telling you to stop at the clock saying 3:20 AM saying to go to bed.

Thats me every night.

Except without any reason.

Corrian
Khan of Spam

New York Times Democracy

Postby Corrian » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:06 pm

Orinon wrote:
Corrian wrote:Screw sleep when you got the last few episodes of a TV to watch, despite your eyes telling you to stop at the clock saying 3:20 AM saying to go to bed.

Thats me every night.

Except without any reason.

I stay up way too late on a regular basis, but not usually for shows. The times when I stay awake for hours for no reason are annoying...
My Last.FM and RYM

Mighty Asgard
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mighty Asgard » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:31 pm

I'm thinking of having a shorter timeskip up to the next class, unless there is anything anyone really wants to get done during the current IC time.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse