NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Nuclear Security Convention

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Chester Pearson
Minister

Founded: Aug 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

[PASSED] Nuclear Security Convention

Postby Chester Pearson » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:56 pm

"NUCLEAR SECURITY CONVENTION"
A resolution to improve world security by boosting police and military budgets.

Category: International Security | Strength: Mild | Proposed by: Chester Pearson

The World Assembly,

RECOGNIZING that nuclear energy is a relatively clean and efficient source of energy,

UNDERSTANDING the right of member nations to use nuclear energy for peaceful purpose,

ALSO REALIZING the potential threat posed to all members in regards to the acquisition of nuclear technology by rogue states, terrorist and/or extremist organizations,

ALARMED by the possibility of widespread devastation that could occur as the result of the uncontrolled proliferation of nuclear technology, particularly by non-members who are not bound by the conventions of international law,

RESOLVING to enact a sensible policy that mitigates the potential for nuclear warfare and the consequences thereof,

The General Assembly hereby:

1. For the purposes of this convention defines nuclear energy as the energy released by nuclear reactions,

2. Requires member nations take all necessary precautions to ensure their nuclear materials, technology and information that have the potential for weaponization are fully secured against unauthorized release,

3. Demands that member nations take all measures necessary and practical in preventing the transfer of nuclear technology, design specifications, and materials if there is reason to suspect that they will be weaponized,

4. Clarifies that nothing in this resolution shall be interpreted as affecting the right of member nations to research or use nuclear energy for peaceful purposes, nor denying members nations the right to possess or produce nuclear armaments via their own technological and manufacturing capacities.

Co-Authored by Abacathea

Category: International Security | Strength: Mild | Proposed by: Chester Pearson

The World Assembly,

RECOGNIZING that nuclear power is a relatively clean and efficient source of energy,

THUS GUARANTEEING member nations the right to use nuclear energy for their energy needs,

ALSO REALIZING the potential threat posed to all members in regards to the acquisition of nuclear technology by rogue states, terrorist and/or extremist organizations,

ALARMED by the possibility of widespread devastation that could occur as the result of the uncontrolled proliferation of nuclear technology, particularly by non-members who are not bound by the conventions of international law,

FOR THE PURPOSE defines nuclear energy as the useful and/or destructive energy released by nuclear fission,

The General Assembly hereby mandates:

1. Member nations take all necessary precautions to ensure their nuclear materials, technology and information are fully secured against unauthorised release; Additionally members shall ensure all adequate measures are taken for nuclear the safety and security of nuclear resources from production until utilization,

2. Member nations maintain comprehensive records of processed nuclear materials, technology and information,

3. Member nations shall take all necessary precautions to ensure nuclear manufacturing, design specifications, technology or materials are not in any way proliferated to any party not bound by the terms of this convention,
NOTHING in this convention shall be interpreted as:

1. Affecting the right of member nations to research, or use nuclear energy for peaceful purposes or,

2. Denying members nations the right to possess, or produce nuclear armaments.

Co-Authored by Abacathea

Category: International Security | Strength: Significant | Proposed by: Chester Pearson

The World Assembly,

RECOGNIZING that nuclear power is a relatively clean and efficient source of energy,

THUS GUARANTEEING nations the right to use nuclear energy for their energy needs,

ALSO REALIZING the potential threat posed to all nations in regards to the acquisition of nuclear technology by rogue states, terrorist and/or extremist organizations,

ALARMED by the possibility of widespread devastation that could occur as the result of the uncontrolled proliferation of nuclear technology,

FOR THE PURPOSE of this convention defines:

• Nuclear energy as the use of exothermic nuclear processes to generate useful heat and electricity.

• Proliferation as the spread of nuclear materials, technology and information,

1. Member nations take all necessary precautions to ensure their nuclear materials, technology and information are fully secured against theft,

2. Member nations maintain comprehensive records of processed nuclear materials, technology and information; Furthermore members shall readily supply these records to World Assembly inspectors upon request to ensure they are in compliance with this convention,

3. Member nations shall take all necessary precautions to ensure nuclear manufacturing, design specifications, technology or materials are not in any way proliferated to any party not subject to this convention,

4. World Assembly inspectors shall treat any information they view or collect with utmost secrecy and security; Inspectors shall take all necessary precautions to ensure information they gather is not shared with any person not authorized by the originating party, or bound by the terms of this convention,

1. Affecting the right of member nations to research, or use nuclear energy for peaceful purposes,

2. Denying members the right to possess, or produce nuclear armaments,

3. Denying member nations the right to their participation in the exchange of nuclear equipment, materials, and technological information,

4. Affecting the rights of member nations to develop their own nuclear technology and manufacturing capabilities.

Co-Authored by Abacathea

Category: International Security | Strength: Significant | Proposed by: Chester Pearson

The World Assembly,

OBSERVING that some nations use nuclear energy for their energy needs,

ALSO REALIZING potential threat posed to all nations in regards to the acquisition of nuclear technology by rogue states, terrorist and/or extremist organizations,

ALARMED by the possibility of widespread devastation that could occur as the result of the uncontrolled proliferation of nuclear technology,

• Nuclear energy as the use of exothermic nuclear processes to generate useful heat and electricity.

• Proliferation as the spread of nuclear materials, technology and information,

1. Member nations secure extracted nuclear resources against theft,

2. Member nations maintain comprehensive records of processed nuclear resource stockpiles, as well as estimated unprocessed reserves,

3. Member nations ensure safe transport of nuclear materials between procurement and storage sites; as well as ensure adequate security precautions are taken when nuclear materials are transported between nations,

4. Member nations shall not supply any nation with either the manufacturing, design specifications, technology or nuclear materials to any party not subject to this convention,

1. Affecting the right of member nations to research, produce and/or use nuclear energy for peaceful purposes, or their participation in the exchange of equipment, materials and scientific and technological information,

2. Affecting the right of member nations to develop their own nuclear technology and manufacturing capabilities,

The World Assembly,

OBSERVING that some nations use nuclear energy for their energy needs,

ALSO REALIZING potential threat posed to all nations in regards to the acquisition of nuclear technology by rogue states, terrorist and/or extremist organizations,

• A nuclear weapon as a weapon whose destructive power comes from energy produced exclusively by nuclear reactions,

• Proliferation as the spread of nuclear weapons, fissile material, and applicable nuclear technology and information,

1. Member nations secure extracted fissionable resources against theft,

2. Member nations maintain comprehensive records of processed fissionable resource stockpiles, as well as estimated unprocessed reserves,

3. Member nations ensure safe transport of fissionable materials between procurement and storage sites; as well as ensure adequate security precautions are taken when fissionable materials are transported between nations,

4. Member nations shall not supply any nation with either the manufacturing or design specifications of nuclear weapons, or any nuclear weapons themselves, to any party not subject to this convention,

1. Affecting the right of member nations to research, produce and/or use nuclear energy for peaceful purposes, or their participation in the exchange of equipment, materials and scientific and technological information,

2. Affecting the right of member nations to develop nuclear arms using their own technology and manufacturing capabilities,
Last edited by Mallorea and Riva on Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:00 pm, edited 23 times in total.
Separatist Peoples wrote:With a lawnchair and a large bag of popcorn in hand, Ambassador SaDiablo walks in and sets himself up comfortably. Out of a dufflebag comes a large foam finger with the name "Chester Pearson" emblazoned on it, as well as a few six-packs.
Economic Left/Right: -8.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.90
-17.5 / -6
Chester B. Pearson,
Ambassador, Imperial Minster of Foreign Affairs United Federation of Canada
Premier The North American Union
Secretary-General United Regions Alliance
World Assembly Resolution Author
Recognized as one of the most famous NS's ever

Auralia
Senator

Founded: Dec 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:59 pm

I would change clause 4 to read:

Member nations shall not supply any nation with either the manufacturing or design specifications of nuclear weapons, or any nuclear weapons themselves, to any party not subject to this convention

It may be worth adding a clause prohibiting the transfer of nuclear weapons or nuclear weapons specifications to non-state actors.
Last edited by Auralia on Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Catholic Commonwealth of Auralia
"Amor sequitur cognitionem."

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Founded: Oct 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:19 pm

Auralia wrote:It may be worth adding a clause prohibiting the transfer of nuclear weapons or nuclear weapons specifications to non-state actors.

"I was going to say exactly this. The preamble:

"Isn't really matched by the operative clauses. I would make a very clear prohibition on any transfer or assistance to non-state actors.

"I was also wondering about an exception for safety purposes: assisting another nation in making their weapons systems safer.

"I also don't particularly understand
as well as estimated unprocessed reserves,

"Otherwise I like this proposal a lot. Good luck!"

~ Ambassador to the WA Inky Fungschlammer

Chester Pearson
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Chester Pearson » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:14 pm

Auralia wrote:I would change clause 4 to read:

Member nations shall not supply any nation with either the manufacturing or design specifications of nuclear weapons, or any nuclear weapons themselves, to any party not subject to this convention

It may be worth adding a clause prohibiting the transfer of nuclear weapons or nuclear weapons specifications to non-state actors.

Done. Thank you very much for your input.

The Dark Star Republic wrote:ALSO REALIZING potential threat posed to all nations in regards to the acquisition of nuclear technology by rogue states, terrorist and/or extremist organizations,

"Isn't really matched by the operative clauses. I would make a very clear prohibition on any transfer or assistance to non-state actors.

I believe the changes made to clause 4 by Auralia should take care of that?

The Dark Star Republic wrote:"I was also wondering about an exception for safety purposes: assisting another nation in making their weapons systems safer.

I am looking into how to word that in....

The Dark Star Republic wrote:"I also don't particularly understand
as well as estimated unprocessed reserves,

Nations routinely run surveys of their estimated remaining unextracted natural resources. This would simply require member nations to ensure the accountability of their unprocessed reserves......

The Dark Star Republic wrote:"Otherwise I like this proposal a lot. Good luck!"

Thank you very much Ambassador for your tentative support.

I was just curious, is this convention itself fairly reasonable, or do we need to add a committee to it, in your personal opinion?

Warmest regards,

Separatist Peoples wrote:With a lawnchair and a large bag of popcorn in hand, Ambassador SaDiablo walks in and sets himself up comfortably. Out of a dufflebag comes a large foam finger with the name "Chester Pearson" emblazoned on it, as well as a few six-packs.
-17.5 / -6
Chester B. Pearson,

Moronist Decisions
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2008
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Moronist Decisions » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:39 pm

Would this duplicate NAPA?
Note: Unless specifically specified, my comments shall be taken as those purely of Moronist Decisions and do not represent the views of the Republic/Region of Europeia.

Member of Europeia
Ideological Bulwark #255
IntSane: International Sanity for All

Author of GAR#194, GAR#198 and GAR#203.

Chester Pearson
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Chester Pearson » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:49 pm

Moronist Decisions wrote:Would this duplicate NAPA?

I don't believe it would... NAPA simply states we have to secure our weapons from falling into "the wrong hands" (a clause that is so maligned it isn't even funny). This is simply legislating on who those "wrong hands" are. Plus if NAPA were to be repealed, this would still stand on its own merits.

We appreciate your concern Ambassador, but at this time it would seem unwarranted...

Warmest regards,

-17.5 / -6
Chester B. Pearson,

Vanguard of the Communist Revolution
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Vanguard of the Communist Revolution » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:05 pm

We support this resolution. There is no way the reactionary pigs should have nuclear weapons.

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:22 pm

Chester Pearson wrote:
The Dark Star Republic wrote:I would make a very clear prohibition on any transfer or assistance to non-state actors.

I believe the changes made to clause 4 by Auralia should take care of that?

"That clause now prohibits transfer of weapons - but not of specifications, or component technology? Not of providing technological assistance to non-state actors? As I'm reading it, all it prohibits is literally giving a non-state actor a nuclear weapon. I'm talking about a broader prohibition, unless you think it would have a chilling effect on non-weapons research and trade.

The Dark Star Republic wrote:"I was also wondering about an exception for safety purposes: assisting another nation in making their weapons systems safer.

I am looking into how to word that in....

"Hmm. It's not a huge concern, I'll admit, but it could be something like:
"...manufacturing or design specifications, except for those exclusively concerned with improving safety of weapons systems...

"That's a bit clunky, as it's difficult to work in as presently constructed. Maybe don't include anything yet, but just see how the draft shapes up, and then consider whether such an exception is worthwhile or too much bother.

"Don't worry, not everything I say is going to cause me to pitch a fit if you don't acquiesce...

Nations routinely run surveys of their estimated remaining unextracted natural resources. This would simply require member nations to ensure the accountability of their unprocessed reserves......

"Realistically, how much use is that, though? I mean, unprocessed fissile material is really not that much of a danger. Processing it is going to be beyond the capability of most terrorist actors and probably even beyond the capability of a state that would have to try to steal another state's material. I'm not opposed to it - I just don't see the point, or that knowing how much unprocessed material there is is going to improve world security, at all.

"Couple of other suggestions:

1. Member nations secure extracted fissionable resources against theft or loss,
3. Member nations ensure safe and secure transport...

"You're also mixing 'fissile' and 'fissionable'. Also: why are you defining 'proliferation' when, so far as I can tell, the word isn't actually used in the operative language?

I was just curious, is this convention itself fairly reasonable, or do we need to add a committee to it, in your personal opinion?

"I'm in favour of committees where they do something useful (like your Chemical Weapons Commission), but not where they don't. What would a committee actually do? At present, the obligations seem fine without a committee."

Last edited by The Dark Star Republic on Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ainocra
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 20, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ainocra » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:55 am

By and large this seems to cover the energy sector with the exception of clause 4 which is solely there to hamper states in the development of nuclear weapons.

We could support this, if that clause were stricken and the category were switched to something more appropriate.
Alcon Enta
Supreme Marshal of Ainocra

"From far, from eve and morning and yon twelve-winded sky, the stuff of life to knit blew hither: here am I. ...Now--for a breath I tarry nor yet disperse apart--take my hand quick and tell me, what have you in your heart." --Roger Zelazny

Chester Pearson
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Chester Pearson » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:21 am

Ainocra wrote:By and large this seems to cover the energy sector with the exception of clause 4 which is solely there to hamper states in the development of nuclear weapons.

We could support this, if that clause were stricken and the category were switched to something more appropriate.

How exactly does clause 4 hamper the development of nuclear weapons. It is there to prevent nations from transferring nuclear weapons to non members as well as non state actors...
-17.5 / -6
Chester B. Pearson,

Ainocra
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ainocra » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:37 pm

Chester Pearson wrote:
Ainocra wrote:By and large this seems to cover the energy sector with the exception of clause 4 which is solely there to hamper states in the development of nuclear weapons.

How exactly does clause 4 hamper the development of nuclear weapons. It is there to prevent nations from transferring nuclear weapons to non members as well as non state actors...

Member nations shall not supply any nation with either the manufacturing or design specifications

The Star Empire relies heavily on the Arms manufacturing sector as a driver of the economy. In many cases we have provided technical assistance to nations wishing to develop their own weapons programs. This would prohibit that, and if passed would have a significant impact on the local economy of the Star Empire. Jobs would be lost. The rest of the proposal seems to be aimed at the promotion of best practices in the energy sector making such a clause is unnecessary and unwarranted.
Alcon Enta

"From far, from eve and morning and yon twelve-winded sky, the stuff of life to knit blew hither: here am I. ...Now--for a breath I tarry nor yet disperse apart--take my hand quick and tell me, what have you in your heart." --Roger Zelazny

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:43 pm

Vanguard of the Communist Revolution wrote:There is no way the reactionary pigs should have nuclear weapons.

Come now, that's not a very nice way of describing your own military forces. Or those of your WA buddies.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Chester Pearson
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Chester Pearson » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:34 pm

Changes made, and updated to second draft.
-17.5 / -6
Chester B. Pearson,

Ainocra
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ainocra » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:46 pm

I'm not terribly happy with this bit

to any party not subject to this convention

But it seems a good enough compromise that I have no strenuous objection to it.
Alcon Enta

UshraKerbal
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby UshraKerbal » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:04 pm

Points I have noticed.

While it seems that best practices are covered there is little transparency or over site included in the language. All well and good that member states say they are following the resolution. AS an applicant nation of the WA I appluad these kinds of efforts but with out the teeth to enforce them they are merely promises not deeds.

A section empowering the WA to inspect and audit nations thought to be in violation or simply a timetable for each nation to be inspected would be more then prudent. I think instead of waiting for a new proposal to delineate such an undertaking the language would be well placed here.

Alacrity Fitzhugh
Republic of UshraKerbal

Chester Pearson
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Chester Pearson » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:36 am

UshraKerbal wrote:Points I have noticed.

While it seems that best practices are covered there is little transparency or over site included in the language. All well and good that member states say they are following the resolution. AS an applicant nation of the WA I appluad these kinds of efforts but with out the teeth to enforce them they are merely promises not deeds.

A section empowering the WA to inspect and audit nations thought to be in violation or simply a timetable for each nation to be inspected would be more then prudent. I think instead of waiting for a new proposal to delineate such an undertaking the language would be well placed here.

Alacrity Fitzhugh
Republic of UshraKerbal

Member nations are automatically required to comply in good faith with all passed resolutions. Those gnomes are mean little bastards that will ensure your compliance, and as such a compliance section would be needlessly wordy, and unneeded.

Ainocra wrote:But it seems a good enough compromise that I have no strenuous objection to it.

"Ambassador Pearson faints upon hearing the Fleet Marshall make an actual statement of support. Medical gnomes rush in........ and after a hefty dose of smelling salts, and a few shots of maple whiskey, Ambassador Pearson sits in his chair, and faints again.............."
-17.5 / -6
Chester B. Pearson,

Chester Pearson
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Chester Pearson » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:25 pm

UPDATE: Submitted and campaign underway....
-17.5 / -6
Chester B. Pearson,

Ainocra
Ambassador

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ainocra » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:44 pm

Chester Pearson wrote:
UshraKerbal wrote:Points I have noticed.

"Ambassador Pearson faints upon hearing the Fleet Marshall make an actual statement of support. Medical gnomes rush in........ and after a hefty dose of smelling salts, and a few shots of maple whiskey, Ambassador Pearson sits in his chair, and faints again.............."

The Marshal looks on in concern. "I guess I should send him a bottle of good scotch, to help with his recovery."
Alcon Enta

Moronist Decisions
Minister

Founded: Jul 05, 2008
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Moronist Decisions » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:34 pm

Regardless of the NAPA concerns ...

Member nations shall not supply any nation with either the manufacturing, design specifications, technology or nuclear materials to any party not subject to this convention,

How can any non-member nation be subject to this convention? And given this, it'd effectively ban any technology transfer between member nations and non-member nations.
Note: Unless specifically specified, my comments shall be taken as those purely of Moronist Decisions and do not represent the views of the Republic/Region of Europeia.

Member of Europeia
Ideological Bulwark #255
IntSane: International Sanity for All

Author of GAR#194, GAR#198 and GAR#203.

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:48 pm

Moronist Decisions wrote:
Member nations shall not supply any nation with either the manufacturing, design specifications, technology or nuclear materials to any party not subject to this convention,

And given this, it'd effectively ban any technology transfer between member nations and non-member nations.

This concerns me as well. The clause is worded very poorly.

The Black Hat Guy
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 12, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Black Hat Guy » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:03 pm

Presumably that clause was meant to read "... or technology of nuclear materials...", but as it stands it effectively bans technology transfer between compliant parties and non-compliant parties.

Other than that, however, this seems to cover nothing that hasn't already been adequately covered by NAPA. It's more detailed, yes, but the "all reasonable precautions" specified by NAPA seem to me to be sufficient to cover the issue. We don't need another piece of legislation adding to the bureaucracy.

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mousebumples » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:18 pm

The Black Hat Guy wrote:Other than that, however, this seems to cover nothing that hasn't already been adequately covered by NAPA. It's more detailed, yes, but the "all reasonable precautions" specified by NAPA seem to me to be sufficient to cover the issue. We don't need another piece of legislation adding to the bureaucracy.

My concern is that it may contradict NAPA as it takes NAPA's clause about reasonable precautions - which may not include security, per se, depending on the nation's own details - and takes it a step farther.

I'm also surprised that the author is running a TG campaign on this already. Given that drafting has been on-going for only a week, that seems ... very premature, unless he enjoys having resolutions that are frequently repealed shortly after they are passed
Last edited by Mousebumples on Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:39 pm

OOC: I think my delegation is likely to support this, but I'll admit I too was taken aback by the rapid submission - I only didn't comment because I wasn't sure if there were some previous drafting thread on this.

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:54 pm

Mousebumples wrote:My concern is that it may contradict NAPA as it takes NAPA's clause about reasonable precautions - which may not include security, per se, depending on the nation's own details - and takes it a step farther.

I don't think that would be considered a contradiction. The World Assembly is free to define what "the wrong hands" means, since it was left undefined by NAPA.

Zarkanians
Senator

Founded: Sep 12, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Zarkanians » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:32 am

Auralia wrote:
Mousebumples wrote:My concern is that it may contradict NAPA as it takes NAPA's clause about reasonable precautions - which may not include security, per se, depending on the nation's own details - and takes it a step farther.

I don't think that would be considered a contradiction. The World Assembly is free to define what "the wrong hands" means, since it was left undefined by NAPA.

OOC: It's free to do so; that doesn't mean it should. If this reaches quorum, I'll be voting against it.
Thought and Memory each morning fly
Over the vast earth:
Thought, I fear, may fail to return,
But I fear more for Memory.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives