NATION

PASSWORD

Picture size limits

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Yanitaria
Envoy

Founded: Sep 16, 2007
Ex-Nation

Picture size limits

Postby Yanitaria » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:30 am

Why is it that pictures are limited to 600px by 800px? Many people, such as myself, have drawing of designs, or use pictures for them, that are larger than this arbitrary limit. If they are hosted off-site, I couldn't see bandwidth becoming an issue.

I can understand having a limit for people with slow connections, but first of all, the individual poster can generally be trusted to make that call (and, on the old forums, always did), and secondly, 600px by 800px is much too small, especially for drawings of aircraft.

I think the limit should just be dropped altogether, and if anyone goes crazy, they can be dealt with individually.
HaSapot wa Soptim biCanhadast
Not Yanitaria

Embassy

Molested Sock
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 13, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Picture size limits

Postby Molested Sock » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:39 am

I concur.
Personally I think the nationstates taskbar might get squished, which would be bad, but I'm not sure and big images are often good images.
100% 80% of the time.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:14 am

Apart from anything else, big images for flags mess-up any RMB on which you post by squeezing everybody's words into a very narrow strip...
Last edited by Bears Armed on Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:53 am

It is possible to link to large images using URLs but it is a good rule of thumb to mention that the images are large-size so those with low bandwidths know. Not every internet user has no download limits, I'm afraid.

Valipac
Ambassador

Founded: May 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Valipac » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:31 am

Bears Armed wrote:Apart from anything else, big images for flags mess-up any RMB on which you post by squeezing everybody's words into a very narrow strip...

Not really worried about RMB's, we're discussing the forums here.
Maredoratica – A Realistic Modern Tech Roleplaying Region
"What is written without effort is in general read without pleasure." - Samuel Johnson

Wiki | Using Satellites in Warfare | BoF 34 Champion
Designer of Ex-Nation Flag | AKA: Kampf

Daynor
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 25, 2008
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Daynor » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:51 am

Bears Armed wrote:Apart from anything else, big images for flags mess-up any RMB on which you post by squeezing everybody's words into a very narrow strip...

My flag is pretty small, there are people in my region whose flag is 2x my size. But all of our flags on RMB's an Nat'l and Regional happenigs are the same size. I think they auto resize the flag to that size, no matter how big your flag was before hand.
Young Libertarian Conservative
Political Compass: (2.63,-1.44)
Delegate of the Conservative Coalition
Ambassador Franklin Tanner
ლ(゚д゚ლ)
Daynor

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:59 am

Valipac wrote:

Not really worried about RMB's, we're discussing the forums here.

Oops! I guess that shows that I spend more time in RMBs than I do in the sorts of forum threads that include lots of images...

Daynor wrote:

My flag is pretty small, there are people in my region whose flag is 2x my size. But all of our flags on RMB's an Nat'l and Regional happenigs are the same size. I think they auto resize the flag to that size, no matter how big your flag was before hand.

I've definitely seen verry large flags have an effect such as I describe... and very recently, too...
Last edited by Bears Armed on Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Daynor
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 25, 2008
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Daynor » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:27 pm

Bears Armed wrote:
Daynor wrote:

I've definitely seen verry large flags have an effect such as I describe... and very recently, too...

:blink: Hmm, I didn't knoiw that... can a mod confirm this? May need to make some laws to merit the ejection of this type of nation in a few regioins if this is the case...
Young Libertarian Conservative
Political Compass: (2.63,-1.44)
Delegate of the Conservative Coalition
Ambassador Franklin Tanner
ლ(゚д゚ლ)
Daynor

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:19 pm

Yanitaria wrote:Why is it that pictures are limited to 600px by 800px?

Many people do not have high-resolution screens, and large pictures cause the entire forum to scroll off the page for them, making the thread unreadable.

You can post a 600x800px "thumbnail" that links to your artwork in all its 1900x1200 glory; that way everyone gets to see the detail but it doesn't break the forum for low-res users.

Yanitaria
Envoy

Founded: Sep 16, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Yanitaria » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:54 am

I have already made such images for my largest image, a picture of what is basically a jet engined Tu-95, but I suppose there is no other option. It's just a bit of a pain to redo all of my images.

Oh well. But thanks anyways.
HaSapot wa Soptim biCanhadast
Not Yanitaria

Embassy

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical