NATION

PASSWORD

Future Tech Advice and Assistance Thread [O.O.C.]

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

-The Unified Earth Governments-
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby -The Unified Earth Governments- » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:51 pm

The Laxus Union wrote:Do you all feel that a terran civilizations should originate from earth? I personally despise the idea of RPing in the same galaxy as earth. I want to create a unique terran that is a little more modified and comes from a different planet.

Do so as you want, I cherry pick people because thats how I want to RP with this nation, I think it takes more cooperation and all that, yadda yadda.

But for you, with a universe of multiple Earths and multiple copies of systems and all that, do so if you want, it would make more sense.

I never got that really..Sera from Gears, Remanent from RWBY, I am sure there are other things were Humanity didn't come from Earth.

That would be much better if you ask me, I say go with it, it could make for an interesting history and experience, especially if you feel like making a whole new timeline for the Human history.

After all who says Einstein was the only man to create the theory of relativity, maybe yours can be a woman. There is a lot you can do, so much history to fill, I say go with it.

Themiclesia wrote:
The Laxus Union wrote:Do you all feel that a terran civilizations should originate from earth? I personally despise the idea of RPing in the same galaxy as earth. I want to create a unique terran that is a little more modified and comes from a different planet.

Well... The root "terr" means earth, if not Earth.

Earth can also mean the ground, the very soil.
Last edited by -The Unified Earth Governments- on Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FactbookHistoryColoniesEmbassy Program V.IIUNSC Navy (WIP)InfantryAmmo Mods
/// A.N.N. \\\
News - 10/27/2558: Deglassing of Reach is going smoother than expected. | First prototype laser rifle is beginning experimentation. | The Sangheili Civil War is officially over, Arbiter Thel'Vadam and his Swords of Sanghelios have successfully eliminated remaining Covenant cells on Sanghelios. | President Ruth Charet to hold press meeting within the hour on the end of the Sangheili Civil War. | The Citadel Council official introduces the Unggoy as a member of the Citadel.

The Most Important Issue Result - "Robosexual marriages are increasingly common."

Star Trek America
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 31, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Star Trek America » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:51 pm

There is no root-word. Terra is simply Latin for "Land".

Viva la Française

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby -The Unified Earth Governments- » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:52 pm

Star Trek America wrote:There is no root-word. Terra is simply Latin for "Land".

This as well
/// A.N.N. \\\
News - 10/27/2558: Deglassing of Reach is going smoother than expected. | First prototype laser rifle is beginning experimentation. | The Sangheili Civil War is officially over, Arbiter Thel'Vadam and his Swords of Sanghelios have successfully eliminated remaining Covenant cells on Sanghelios. | President Ruth Charet to hold press meeting within the hour on the end of the Sangheili Civil War. | The Citadel Council official introduces the Unggoy as a member of the Citadel.

The Most Important Issue Result - "Robosexual marriages are increasingly common."

Dreadful Sagittarius
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 31, 2010
New York Times Democracy

Postby Dreadful Sagittarius » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:53 pm

Caecuser wrote:Quick question:

Do people usually have a type of ship constructed around a single massive weapon - or stick with ships oriented around having as many different weapon systems as possible with less power but greater variety and adaptability? Examples that come to mind of the former type would be a huge railgun (like the Macs off of Halo, just to give an example) or a high-powered laser.

I myself prefer turrets, if only for that 'Age of Dreadnoughts' feel. Typical Nautikon vessels will be armed around either large calibre cannon and point defence, or missile tubes and point defence. A lot of the capital warships (First three Titan variants and the Muse class) will carry fighters because of doctrinal inertia, but they're never used for anti-ship work.
In Memoriam of David 'CanisD' Briedis, October 20, 1970 - August 27, 2015
For He Loved The Stars Too Fondly, To Fear The Night
Factbook of the Phanes RepublicFuture-Tech Advice & Assistance Thread
Future-Tech Market Index ThreadThe CompendiumState of the Galaxy
Only a fool taunts the Archer

Mini Miehm
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 15, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Mini Miehm » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:55 pm

It would be hard for a terran civilization not to originate from...terra. That being said, many people have human civilizations that can only vaguely or incredibly distantly trace their roots back to earth. Extragalactic holdings are generally frowned on in FT though. So... On the one hand, human civilizations can exist outside of earth. The odds of identical evolution in an entirely different galaxy are pretty low. So...yeah.

To summarize. You could do that. The number of people not playing in the MWG is essentially zero though, so good like finding anyone to roleplay with.
Mallorea and Riva should resign

Don't reward the trolls.

Themiclesia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 12, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Themiclesia » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:56 pm

Star Trek America wrote:There is no root-word. Terra is simply Latin for "Land".

I am led to believe that every Latin word (nouns at least) has a root and an ending. In this case, I venture to say that terr- is the root, and -a is a feminine nominative singular ending of the first declension. My instructor said that a noun's root is genitive singular (terrae) with the ending removed, leaving terr-.
Last edited by Themiclesia on Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NS stats not in effect
(except in F7)
Gameside factbooks not canon
Sample military factbook
Nations:
Themiclesia
Camia
Antari
>>>Member of Septentrion, Atlas, Alithea, Tyran<<<
Left-of-centre, multiple home countries and native languages, socially and fiscally liberal; he/him/his
Pro: diversity, choice, liberty, democracy, equality | Anti: racism, sexism, nationalism, dictatorship, war
News | Court of Appeal overturns Sgt. Ker conviction for larceny in quartermaster's pantry | TNS Hat runs aground in foreign harbour, hull unhurt | House of Lords passes Stamp Collection Act, counterfeiting used stamps now a crime | New bicycle lanes under the elevated railways | Demonstration against rights abuses in Menghe in Crystal Park, MoD: parade to be postponed for civic activity

SquareDisc City
Senator

Founded: Jul 02, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby SquareDisc City » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:57 pm

There are any number of ways to handwave a human civilization originating from a planet other than Earth. You only need an explicit Earth connection if you want real Earth stuff in your backstory. In my case geography's a factor; Zealandia could be transplanted to another planet, but then it would kind of lose its point.

If you don't want to RP in the same galaxy as Earth, though, then you'd better find another community because for better or worse NSFT is based in the Milky Way.

On a sidenote, when it comes to naming your civilization's homeworld it makes sense for the name to be the same as the word for ground or something similar in the local language. Not a requirement, but worth thinking about especially if you come to conlang.
FT: The Confederation of the United Pokemon Types, led by Regent Mew.
Nuclear pulse propulsion is best propulsion.

Auman
Minister

Founded: Antiquity
Father Knows Best State

Postby Auman » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:58 pm

Just because Earth exists in the setting does not mean you have to recognize it as the birthplace of mankind. I don't and I get along just fine. Earth as it stands is a fractal nightmare... To me, it's creepy and empty.
IBNFTW local 8492

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby -The Unified Earth Governments- » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:59 pm

Auman wrote:Just because Earth exists in the setting does not mean you have to recognize it as the birthplace of mankind. I don't and I get along just fine. Earth as it stands is a fractal nightmare... To me, it's creepy and empty.

That, its why I avoid FT "Prime" as it is really.

I would be willing to do cross universal stuff, but the whole multi Earth thing is just depressing and meaningless to me as a setting.
/// A.N.N. \\\

Star Trek America
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 31, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Star Trek America » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:00 pm

We had many an argument over your views of Earth in the last thread, they do not need to be reiterated here.

Viva la Française

Themiclesia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Themiclesia » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:01 pm

Star Trek America wrote:We had many an argument over your views of Earth in the last thread, they do not need to be reiterated here.

Did we?
NS stats not in effect
(except in F7)
Sample military factbook
Nations:
Themiclesia
Camia
Antari
Left-of-centre, multiple home countries and native languages, socially and fiscally liberal; he/him/his
Pro: diversity, choice, liberty, democracy, equality | Anti: racism, sexism, nationalism, dictatorship, war
News | Court of Appeal overturns Sgt. Ker conviction for larceny in quartermaster's pantry | TNS Hat runs aground in foreign harbour, hull unhurt | House of Lords passes Stamp Collection Act, counterfeiting used stamps now a crime | New bicycle lanes under the elevated railways | Demonstration against rights abuses in Menghe in Crystal Park, MoD: parade to be postponed for civic activity

The United Colonies of Earth
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 01, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The United Colonies of Earth » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:01 pm

Star Trek America wrote:Arguably they are for the benefit of sapient development. We would still be appetizers for T-Rex were it not for a combination of hypervolcanism and a big damn rock.

We humans wouldn't exist without Chixhulub (I think that's how it is spelled).
Furthermore, what does the group think about two things:
1. Shields using plasma held in magnetic fields, and 3-meter-thick titanium-tungsten-vanadium-chromium-iridium alloy, beneath ablative plastic, and above 13 sheets of graphene sandwiching several layers of carbon nanotubes, with another layer of tungsten-iridium carbide alloy below, and finally plastic underneath. This is my standard ship armoring system.
Furthermore, the shields are supplied by plasma from a network of plasma turrets over the hull, which can act as very effective weapons.
2. An FTL engine that magnetically compresses 238,000,000 atoms with 238 protons each into a space the size of a proton, and then blasts it out at 6,768,919.72 times c, the speed of light. That's what I use as my nation's FTL drive; I call it the Dark Energy Drive.

There is a Proto-Indo-European root word, *ters-, which means "dry" and derives to tērra, tērrae in Latin and thirst in English.
The United Colonies of Earth exists:
to bring about the settlement of all planets not yet inhabited by a sapient species within this Galaxy and Universe by the Human Race, or all members of the species Homo sapiens;
to ensure the observation and protection of the rights of all human beings;
to defend humankind from invasion, catastrophe, fraud and violence;
to represent the interests of humankind to the other governments of the Galaxy;
to facilitate the perpetuation of the unity of human civilization and infrastructure between otherwise self-governing colonies;
and to promote technological advancement and scientific discovery for the perpetuation and expansion of the unity and empowerment of all human beings.
E Stēllīs Lībertās

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby -The Unified Earth Governments- » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:03 pm

SquareDisc City wrote:There are any number of ways to handwave a human civilization originating from a planet other than Earth. You only need an explicit Earth connection if you want real Earth stuff in your backstory. In my case geography's a factor; Zealandia could be transplanted to another planet, but then it would kind of lose its point.

If you don't want to RP in the same galaxy as Earth, though, then you'd better find another community because for better or worse NSFT is based in the Milky Way.

On a sidenote, when it comes to naming your civilization's homeworld it makes sense for the name to be the same as the word for ground or something similar in the local language. Not a requirement, but worth thinking about especially if you come to conlang.

There's Vaxon....

Star Trek America wrote:We had many an argument over your views of Earth in the last thread, they do not need to be reiterated here.

It wasn't really arguments as people not liking that I wanted advice despite not wanting to RP with them at large.

For some reason people just didn't want me to cherry pick for this nation, everyone lost there.

But why make a mention of it, I am just agreeing with the above poster, it is just weird, nonsensical and it is depressing.

In other words Creepy and empty, so are you going to argue against Auman? How about you don't continue further? Because the post doesn't do much besides remind people of a pointless and tiring debate.
/// A.N.N. \\\

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby -The Unified Earth Governments- » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:04 pm

Themiclesia wrote:

Did we?

No, it was more bitching in my opinion, I was bitching, a couple of others were bitching, it was a pretty useless, non helpful and unenlightened experience overall.
/// A.N.N. \\\

Themiclesia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Themiclesia » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:08 pm

The United Colonies of Earth wrote:There is a Proto-Indo-European root word, *ters-, which means "dry" and derives to tērra, tērrae in Latin and thirst in English.

I could not agree more.
Last edited by Themiclesia on Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NS stats not in effect
(except in F7)
Sample military factbook
Nations:
Themiclesia
Camia
Antari

Dreadful Sagittarius
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 31, 2010
New York Times Democracy

Postby Dreadful Sagittarius » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:08 pm

As a human civilisation (albeit more advanced than the barbarians of the rest of the galaxy), the Polyarchy has never heard of this 'Earth' you speak of.

More seriously, I just don't acknowledge Earth. Okay, so it's home for a lot of other humans. So what? Why does that matter? Unless they're all part of an 'Evil Earth Conspiracy Association', then it doesn't really reflect on anything but backstory. Now granted, I believe that backstory is incredibly important, but do you ever foresee a time when you'll be having to mention 'Oh we come from Earth. No, not that Earth. No, not that one either. This one, yes!'?

Nope. Just simply handwave it. It's as easy as writing 'Colony Ship Gaia arrives in the formerly-designated system A12-7ED' in a timeline.

-The Unified Earth Governments- wrote:
Auman wrote:Just because Earth exists in the setting does not mean you have to recognize it as the birthplace of mankind. I don't and I get along just fine. Earth as it stands is a fractal nightmare... To me, it's creepy and empty.

That, its why I avoid FT "Prime" as it is really.

I would be willing to do cross universal stuff, but the whole multi Earth thing is just depressing and meaningless to me as a setting.

Said it before, say it again; If you want to ignore FT, why are you in the FT Advice Thread?
In Memoriam of David 'CanisD' Briedis, October 20, 1970 - August 27, 2015
For He Loved The Stars Too Fondly, To Fear The Night
Factbook of the Phanes RepublicFuture-Tech Advice & Assistance Thread
Future-Tech Market Index ThreadThe CompendiumState of the Galaxy
Only a fool taunts the Archer

The United Colonies of Earth
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 01, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The United Colonies of Earth » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:10 pm

Themiclesia wrote:
The United Colonies of Earth wrote:There is a Proto-Indo-European root word, *ters-, which means "dry" and derives to tērra, tērrae in Latin and thirst in English.

I could not agree more.

So you have knowledge of Proto-Indo-European as well?
The United Colonies of Earth exists:
to bring about the settlement of all planets not yet inhabited by a sapient species within this Galaxy and Universe by the Human Race, or all members of the species Homo sapiens;
to ensure the observation and protection of the rights of all human beings;
to defend humankind from invasion, catastrophe, fraud and violence;
to represent the interests of humankind to the other governments of the Galaxy;
to facilitate the perpetuation of the unity of human civilization and infrastructure between otherwise self-governing colonies;
and to promote technological advancement and scientific discovery for the perpetuation and expansion of the unity and empowerment of all human beings.
E Stēllīs Lībertās

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby -The Unified Earth Governments- » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:11 pm

The United Colonies of Earth wrote:
Star Trek America wrote:Arguably they are for the benefit of sapient development. We would still be appetizers for T-Rex were it not for a combination of hypervolcanism and a big damn rock.

We humans wouldn't exist without Chixhulub (I think that's how it is spelled).
Furthermore, what does the group think about two things:
1. Shields using plasma held in magnetic fields, and 3-meter-thick titanium-tungsten-vanadium-chromium-iridium alloy, beneath ablative plastic, and above 13 sheets of graphene sandwiching several layers of carbon nanotubes, with another layer of tungsten-iridium carbide alloy below, and finally plastic underneath. This is my standard ship armoring system.
Furthermore, the shields are supplied by plasma from a network of plasma turrets over the hull, which can act as very effective weapons.
2. An FTL engine that magnetically compresses 238,000,000 atoms with 238 protons each into a space the size of a proton, and then blasts it out at 6,768,919.72 times c, the speed of light. That's what I use as my nation's FTL drive; I call it the Dark Energy Drive.

There is a Proto-Indo-European root word, *ters-, which means "dry" and derives to tērra, tērrae in Latin and thirst in English.

Would that be possible to do in FTL?

If anything it might just be simple to use FTL that can be easier to work with.

I for example will use alternate dimensions, I don't actually go faster than the speed of light, as the speed of light keeps going faster with each dimension, the farther down, the faster it is. By the time one enters the 11th dimension, it is possible to reach one end of the galaxy from the other in minutes, but I don't have the power to do so at any rate, at the best I will get to 2.
/// A.N.N. \\\

Themiclesia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Themiclesia » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:12 pm

The United Colonies of Earth wrote:
Themiclesia wrote:I could not agree more.

So you have knowledge of Proto-Indo-European as well?

Well I am studying Latin and Greek, and I'm doing a bit of leisure reading on Porto languages as well, so I have some exposure to it.
NS stats not in effect
(except in F7)
Sample military factbook
Nations:
Themiclesia
Camia
Antari

SquareDisc City
Senator

Founded: Jul 02, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby SquareDisc City » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:12 pm

The United Colonies of Earth wrote:1. Shields using plasma held in magnetic fields,
Interesting idea. The plasma will absorb lasers, though I'm not sure what it will do against projectiles. Particle beams, plasma weapons themselves, and magnetic projectiles will be disrupted by the magnetic fields. I'm not sure it's entirely rigorous, but it seems as good as any. The strong magnetic fields might prevent ships from getting too close together without affecting the shields. It'll also probably be a type of shield that requires continuous power to run, since the plasma will radiate away heat and thus need re-energising or topping up. That means your ships can't go around with the shields up all the time, and thus your commanders will need to use other approaches to guard against ambushes.

and 3-meter-thick titanium-tungsten-vanadium-chromium-iridium alloy, beneath ablative plastic, and above 13 sheets of graphene sandwiching several layers of carbon nanotubes, with another layer of tungsten-iridium carbide alloy below, and finally plastic underneath. This is my standard ship armoring system.
My thoughts on armour are that the speeds and energies involved make the exact materials used unimportant, though they still might need choosing based on structural, thermal, or other performance.

2. An FTL engine
Do what you like for your FTL technology. I've yet to see one with anything more than the flimsiest basis in real physics. That's not an attack on you or any sci-fi writers, it's a consequence of the fact that in the real world all evidence is that FTL travel is impossible.
FT: The Confederation of the United Pokemon Types, led by Regent Mew.
Nuclear pulse propulsion is best propulsion.

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:13 pm

The United Colonies of Earth wrote:Furthermore, what does the group think about two things:

What, exactly, do you want us to say? It's word salad. Worse, it's blatantly wank-y word salad.

Mad Jack
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mad Jack » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:13 pm

So do it. 'Humanity' in at least one instance I can think of off the top of my head, doesn't originate from Earth (Star Gate).
Where is Someone Special?
<@Unibot> I don't care about defender unity.

Mini Miehm
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 15, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Mini Miehm » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:14 pm

Mad Jack wrote:

So do it. 'Humanity' in at least one instance I can think of off the top of my head, doesn't originate from Earth (Star Gate).

Stargate is bad and you should feel bad Jack.
Mallorea and Riva should resign

Don't reward the trolls.

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Akasha Colony » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:14 pm

The United Colonies of Earth wrote:2. An FTL engine that magnetically compresses 238,000,000 atoms with 238 protons each into a space the size of a proton, and then blasts it out at 6,768,919.72 times c, the speed of light. That's what I use as my nation's FTL drive; I call it the Dark Energy Drive.

What of it? FTL drives are basically all equally bunk from a purely scientific point of view, so there's not much that can be said.
A colony of the New Free Planets Alliance.
The primary MT nation of this account is the Republic of Carthage.
New Free Planets Alliance (FT)
New Terran Republic (FT)
Republic of Carthage (MT)
World Economic Union (MT)
Kaiserreich Europa Zentral (PT/MT)
Five Republics of Hanalua (FanT)
National Links: Factbook Entry | Embassy Program
Storefronts: Carthaginian Naval Export Authority [MT, Navy]

Mad Jack
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mad Jack » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:16 pm

Mini Miehm wrote:
Mad Jack wrote:So do it. 'Humanity' in at least one instance I can think of off the top of my head, doesn't originate from Earth (Star Gate).

Stargate is bad and you should feel bad Jack.

I made no comment on the quality of the instance, just that it exists.
Where is Someone Special?
<@Unibot> I don't care about defender unity.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents