NATION

PASSWORD

Top Anti-Gay Group Attempts Public Meeting Over LGBT Rights

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
Menassa
Post Czar
 
Posts: 33354
Founded: Aug 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:19 pm

Des-Bal wrote:
Menassa wrote:There's no Biblical support for the idea that Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed due to their denizens practice of homosexuality.


Well the men wanted to rape angels and clearly the problem with raping angels is homosexuality.

But that's not why the city was destroyed, says Ezekiel.
-NS's one and only Tanna!
Radical Monotheist
Their hollow inheritance.
This is my god and I shall exalt him
The NS Steam Thread
Jewish Discussion Thread בְּ
"A missionary uses the Bible like a drunk uses a lamppost, not so much for illumination, but for support"
"Imagine of a bunch of Zulu tribesmen told Congress how to read the Constitution, that's how it feels to a Jew when you tell us how to read our bible"
"God said: you must teach, as I taught, without a fee."
"Against your will you are formed, against your will you are born, against your will you live, against your will you die, and against your will you are destined to give a judgement and accounting before the king, king of all kings..."

User avatar
North America Inc
Negotiator
 
Posts: 7420
Founded: Mar 07, 2013
Capitalizt

Postby North America Inc » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:20 pm

Condunum wrote:
North America Inc wrote:Wait you are preaching that they are being Intolerant but at the same time you are saying they should not be allowed to use their freedom of association. That is a hyprocrite OP if I must say. How can you and how dare you preach tolerance, when you can not tolerate others. I totally support LGBT equality but what gives you the right to take away rights. It is people like you, who give people who are for social equality a bad name. All you are doing is helping their side.

The funny thing is, your post is just as bad as the OP. The OP thinks it's bad to let people voice your opinion. Bad OP.

Now, you say it's bad to not tolerate people who aren't tolerant? Fuck that noise, I'm going to not tolerate their disliking of my life for as long as they continue to have those views. I'll tolerate their way of life, but not their lack of acceptance. Tolerance isn't universal, muchacho.

No I said I think that he is jut hurting our cause and he says that people who are against gay rights should be arrested. All I said was he is hurting our cause and he should not be like that because in the end it helps give the other side the moral standpoint. We should be the better men.
Last edited by North America Inc on Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ALMF
Minister
 
Posts: 2937
Founded: Jun 04, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby ALMF » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:27 pm

Des-Bal wrote:
Rocopurr wrote:How you were raised isn't an excuse. There is no excuse or reason to see another human as inferior and denying their rights for being LGBT.


That's absolutely an excuse. It's a pretty fucking good excuse in fact, if you'd been born in the 50's and raised with those ideals would you feel the same way about social issues you feel now?

This explains why such people are villains but doesn't make them any less villians.
a left social libertarian (all on a scale 0-10 with a direction: 0 centrist 10 extreme)
Left over right: 5.99
Libertarian over authoritarian: 4.2,
non-interventionist over neo-con: 5.14
Cultural liberal over cultural conservative: 7.6

You are a cosmopolitan Social Democrat. 16 percent of the test participators are in the same category and 5 percent are more extremist than you.

User avatar
Jormengand
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8414
Founded: May 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Jormengand » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:28 pm

ALMF wrote:
Des-Bal wrote:
That's absolutely an excuse. It's a pretty fucking good excuse in fact, if you'd been born in the 50's and raised with those ideals would you feel the same way about social issues you feel now?

This explains why such people are villains but doesn't make them any less villians.

Yeah, explanation is not justification.
Jormengand wrote:It would be really meta if I sigged this.

User avatar
Rocopurr
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 12772
Founded: Aug 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Rocopurr » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:29 pm

Des-Bal wrote:
Rocopurr wrote:How you were raised isn't an excuse. There is no excuse or reason to see another human as inferior and denying their rights for being LGBT.


That's absolutely an excuse. It's a pretty fucking good excuse in fact, if you'd been born in the 50's and raised with those ideals would you feel the same way about social issues you feel now?

I was raised in a homophobic family, but I'm not. I don't think my feelings about social issues would not be that different. I mean, I'm predominantly attracted to my same sex too, so I doubt I'd hate LGBT people anyways.
Last edited by Rocopurr on Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
speed weed ᕕ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° )ᕗ

User avatar
Geilinor
Post Czar
 
Posts: 41328
Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:31 pm

Ragnarum wrote:
The Tovian Way wrote:
No doubt, in that situation that would be only rational. But would the actions of that person in power be, in your view, legitimate? That is to say, do you believe it is always a legitimate exercise of political power to deny free speech protections to those who disagree with the views of those in power?


Pretty much, yes they would be legitimate, except I wouldn't agree with them, and If I came into power (which wont happen anyway) I would just stop them existing as well.

So by "stop them existing" you mean assassination?
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

User avatar
Old Tyrannia
Game Moderator
 
Posts: 14893
Founded: Aug 11, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby Old Tyrannia » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:46 pm

Gamingland wrote:
Old Tyrannia wrote:


That's the OP's opinion. Not necessarily the one of most of us, or 'American liberals' as you choose to put it.

I put the word "some" in bold for a reason, mon ami. Do read my posts before you criticize them.
Ascended to Modhood on the 14th September 2016
The Grand Fascist Empire of Old Tyrannia
⚜ IMPERIVM MAGNVM FASCISTICVM TYRANNIAE ANTIQVAE
Factbook | Tyrannian Empire | Tyrannian Fascism
Everything for Queen and Country.

User avatar
Ermarian
Minister
 
Posts: 2766
Founded: Jan 11, 2004
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Ermarian » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:55 pm

Ifreann wrote:
Arcadonisia wrote:So, yet again the crazies are attempting to hold back the waves of progress being seen here in the U.S. and across the globe. I personally think that they shouldn't even be allowed to hold any meetings or share their ideas at all, as they threaten the civil rights of countless LBGT citizens and their allies.

Nothing says support for equal rights for all people like wanting to deny equal rights to some people.
The real question here is how far will they go to push their radical agenda into the legal system,

As far as they can without shooting themselves in the foot. Mostly.
and what can be done (legally) to stop them?

Wait for them to die.
What are some of your thoughts on their plans and their attempt of a meeting?

I'd much prefer they carry on their anti-gay activities within the bounds of the law than the alternative.


This.

They're becoming irrelevant. The only thing they're doing is making sure the issue stays in the public awareness, and making their side look bad.
The Endless Empire of Ermarian | Jolt Archives | Encyclopedia Ermariana | ( -6.38 | -8.56 ) | Luna is best pony.
"Without deeper reflection one knows from daily life that one exists for other people - first of all for those upon whose smiles and well-being our own happiness is wholly dependent, and then for the many, unknown to us, to whose destinies we are bound by the ties of sympathy." -Einstein
"Is there a topic for discussion here, or did you just want to be wrong in public?" -Ifreann

User avatar
Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 26273
Founded: Apr 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:03 pm

North America Inc wrote:
Condunum wrote:The funny thing is, your post is just as bad as the OP. The OP thinks it's bad to let people voice your opinion. Bad OP.

Now, you say it's bad to not tolerate people who aren't tolerant? Fuck that noise, I'm going to not tolerate their disliking of my life for as long as they continue to have those views. I'll tolerate their way of life, but not their lack of acceptance. Tolerance isn't universal, muchacho.

No I said I think that he is jut hurting our cause and he says that people who are against gay rights should be arrested. All I said was he is hurting our cause and he should not be like that because in the end it helps give the other side the moral standpoint. We should be the better men.

Well yeah, it's better for our cause to let them make asses of themselves when the realize no one wants to listen to something so drastic and radical as doing what Russia did. But I shouldn't have to tolerate their bigotry for it, just begrudgingly allow it's expression.
password scrambled

User avatar
Fascist Russian Empire
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9267
Founded: Aug 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Fascist Russian Empire » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:40 pm

At least they have the decency to debate their points of view instead of trying to shove it down everyone's throat. I give mild respect to people who at least debate with legitimate reasons against LGBT rights.

User avatar
Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 26273
Founded: Apr 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:51 pm

Des-Bal wrote:
Rocopurr wrote:How you were raised isn't an excuse. There is no excuse or reason to see another human as inferior and denying their rights for being LGBT.


That's absolutely an excuse. It's a pretty fucking good excuse in fact, if you'd been born in the 50's and raised with those ideals would you feel the same way about social issues you feel now?

Sure, it's an excuse. An excuse that's also a cop-out to having to question one's own beliefs. Basically, saying "that's how I was raised" is saying you have no interest in learning new things, which is why it's a shitty excuse.
password scrambled

User avatar
Confederate Belgium
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 19
Founded: Nov 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Confederate Belgium » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:00 pm

Finally, people are recognizing the threat homosexuality poses to humanity!

User avatar
Des-Bal
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 28374
Founded: Jan 24, 2010
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Des-Bal » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:01 pm

Condunum wrote:Sure, it's an excuse. An excuse that's also a cop-out to having to question one's own beliefs. Basically, saying "that's how I was raised" is saying you have no interest in learning new things, which is why it's a shitty excuse.


When you're talking about religion gut reactions and tradition there's really nothing to question, no logical line of evidence based inquiry leads to "gays are alright in my book" without believing something fundamentally different. It's not about failing to learn new things it's about failing to believe what you believe.
Welcome to the internet, our men are men, our women are men, our children are FBI agents.

Founding Member The Sovereign League

Red Eclipse Executive Slave Traders: Anonymity Guarantee

User avatar
Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 26273
Founded: Apr 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:02 pm

Confederate Belgium wrote:Finally, people are recognizing the threat homosexuality poses to humanity!

You do know that Moderation considers puppet-trolling an offense, right? I mean, you already admitted this is a puppet nation, I just wanted to let you know that your main could get reprimanded for this.
password scrambled

User avatar
Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 26273
Founded: Apr 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:03 pm

Des-Bal wrote:
Condunum wrote:Sure, it's an excuse. An excuse that's also a cop-out to having to question one's own beliefs. Basically, saying "that's how I was raised" is saying you have no interest in learning new things, which is why it's a shitty excuse.


When you're talking about religion gut reactions and tradition there's really nothing to question, no logical line of evidence based inquiry leads to "gays are alright in my book" without believing something fundamentally different. It's not about failing to learn new things it's about failing to believe what you believe.

Religion doesn't get a special ticket. If someone can't justify why they believe that they believe, they can't justify it. "It's how I was raised" is not a justification, it is a cop-out.
password scrambled

User avatar
Confederate Belgium
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 19
Founded: Nov 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Confederate Belgium » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:05 pm

Condunum wrote:
Confederate Belgium wrote:Finally, people are recognizing the threat homosexuality poses to humanity!

You do know that Moderation considers puppet-trolling an offense, right? I mean, you already admitted this is a puppet nation, I just wanted to let you know that your main could get reprimanded for this.

Darn it, I'm backing down.

User avatar
Des-Bal
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 28374
Founded: Jan 24, 2010
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Des-Bal » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:06 pm

Condunum wrote:Religion doesn't get a special ticket. If someone can't justify why they believe that they believe, they can't justify it. "It's how I was raised" is not a justification, it is a cop-out.


I feel like you're not reading because my response to that is just to repeat the post you quoted. There's nothing to justify.
Welcome to the internet, our men are men, our women are men, our children are FBI agents.

Founding Member The Sovereign League

Red Eclipse Executive Slave Traders: Anonymity Guarantee

User avatar
Ifreann
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 130646
Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Ifreann » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:06 pm

Condunum wrote:
Haflin wrote:If this is a democracy a fair debate should be in place. Regardless of how you feel they act. When they are proven wrong in debate then its over. Until then they should not be denied a platform to struggle on.

The good thing is, this isn't a democracy.

The US is indeed a democracy.
Mistake Not My Current State Of Joshing Gentle Banter For The Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Snark That Are Themselves The Mere Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Sarcasm
He/Him

Dangerous this Jack o' Hearts.
With his kiss
the riot
starts

User avatar
Seperates
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 14622
Founded: Sep 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Seperates » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:07 pm

Ifreann wrote:
Condunum wrote:The good thing is, this isn't a democracy.

The US is indeed a democracy.

No... it's a republic for the most part. Only one part of the process is democratic and even that has another official vote within government. Popular vote counts for shit.
This Debate is simply an exercise in Rhetoric. Truth is a fickle being with no intentions of showing itself today.

Non fui, fui, non sum, non curo

"The most important fact about us: that we are greater than the institutions and cultures we build."--Roberto Mangabeira Unger

User avatar
Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 26273
Founded: Apr 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:08 pm

Des-Bal wrote:
Condunum wrote:Religion doesn't get a special ticket. If someone can't justify why they believe that they believe, they can't justify it. "It's how I was raised" is not a justification, it is a cop-out.


I feel like you're not reading because my response to that is just to repeat the post you quoted. There's nothing to justify.

How is there nothing to justify? I just said religion doesn't get a special ticket, thus there is something to justify. No one gets a cop-out to having to evaluate your beliefs. If you don't want to, fine, but you don't get to discuss them with the rest of us if you aren't willing to do so.
password scrambled

User avatar
Des-Bal
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 28374
Founded: Jan 24, 2010
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Des-Bal » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:09 pm

Seperates wrote:No... it's a republic for the most part. Only one part of the process is democratic and even that has another official vote within government. Popular vote counts for shit.


A republic is a democratic form of government.
Welcome to the internet, our men are men, our women are men, our children are FBI agents.

Founding Member The Sovereign League

Red Eclipse Executive Slave Traders: Anonymity Guarantee

User avatar
Seperates
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 14622
Founded: Sep 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Seperates » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:10 pm

Des-Bal wrote:
Seperates wrote:No... it's a republic for the most part. Only one part of the process is democratic and even that has another official vote within government. Popular vote counts for shit.


A republic is a democratic form of government.

Democratic. Not a 'democracy'.
This Debate is simply an exercise in Rhetoric. Truth is a fickle being with no intentions of showing itself today.

Non fui, fui, non sum, non curo

"The most important fact about us: that we are greater than the institutions and cultures we build."--Roberto Mangabeira Unger

User avatar
Des-Bal
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 28374
Founded: Jan 24, 2010
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Des-Bal » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:10 pm

Condunum wrote:How is there nothing to justify? I just said religion doesn't get a special ticket, thus there is something to justify. No one gets a cop-out to having to evaluate your beliefs. If you don't want to, fine, but you don't get to discuss them with the rest of us if you aren't willing to do so.


Because there isn't ANYTHING to justify. The entire idea of the Divine Command Theory is that wrong and right are dictated by the whims of a supreme being, whether something is wrong or right within the context of a religion it does not bear justification it is wrong because it is and it is right because it is.
Welcome to the internet, our men are men, our women are men, our children are FBI agents.

Founding Member The Sovereign League

Red Eclipse Executive Slave Traders: Anonymity Guarantee

User avatar
Regnum Dominae
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 12345
Founded: Feb 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Regnum Dominae » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:11 pm

Confederate Belgium wrote:Finally, people are recognizing the threat homosexuality poses to humanity!

What threat?

I didn't realize that Canada, The Netherlands, Norway, or New Zealand were collapsing ever since they legalized same sex marriage.
I support peace in Israel and Palestine. The governments and people in power on all sides are an absolute disgrace, and their unwillingness to pursue peace is a disservice to the people they are meant to be serving. The status quo is not simply untenable; it is unquestionably unacceptable.

User avatar
Des-Bal
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 28374
Founded: Jan 24, 2010
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Des-Bal » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:13 pm

Seperates wrote:Democratic. Not a 'democracy'.


Not in the technical sense but when you won't let someone call a democratic form of government a democracy in common english you're being pedantic.
Welcome to the internet, our men are men, our women are men, our children are FBI agents.

Founding Member The Sovereign League

Red Eclipse Executive Slave Traders: Anonymity Guarantee

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Abaja, Abercontin-Jereaux, Blargoblarg, EastKekistan, Godular, New Bremerton, Pacomia, Recidivism, The Chuck, The of Japan, Uiiop, Victorious Decepticons, Washington Resistance Army

Advertisement

Remove ads