NATION

PASSWORD

Alteration to FAQ

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Marcuslandia
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Alteration to FAQ

Postby Marcuslandia » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:47 am

This would be a simple thing to do, but I think it might have a profound effect on the NS community:

Take the last two entries of the FAQ from "Etiquette" and place them in "Gameplay" after "How do I go to war....?" and before "Who wrote all these issue?"
"If you don't know what is worth dying for, your life isn't worth living."

"Choose wisely."

Defaultia-10
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Alteration to FAQ

Postby Defaultia-10 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:52 am

Why would this have such a major effect? All I ever remembered from the FAQ was what things were illegal and would get you banned.

Marcuslandia
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Marcuslandia » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:23 pm

Because I'm pretty certain that the majority of new players never read the entire FAQ. I figure we would be fortunate if they read as far as the WA. But the point is, in the very middle of the FAQ is quite bluntly says, "How do I go to war....? In one sense, you can't." It goes on to say "Into the breach, however, steps the NationStates community, which has independently devised an entire system covering war, trade, and just about anything else you can think of. This takes place entirely on the forums (mostly in "International Incidents"), and is role-played." This gives the impression that the _only_ place combat takes place is through RP on the forums. It isn't until you get down to the very last two sections at the very end, under "_Etiquette_" that the Invader/Defender game is even hinted at. Without realizing that their regions are subject to invasion, where original inhabitants can be swamped and expelled from their own region, many players, and even Founders don't understand why the Regional Controls are important.

Plus, in case you haven't noticed, for a game with over 10,000 players, only a relatively small percentage ever come to the forums. Meaning that their opportunity to learn just why and how to defend their regions kind of slides under their radar. And this is an aspect of gameplay that raiders most definitely capitalize on.

Moving those two sections to the middle of "Gameplay" would undoubtedly make for a better educated player population. Can't see as how that can not be anything other than a Good Thing. (Undoubtedly, raiders would beg to differ. Defenders, too, otherwise they wouldn't have nearly as many region to go and rescue.]
"If you don't know what is worth dying for, your life isn't worth living."

"Choose wisely."

Romanar
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 15, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Romanar » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:47 pm

Makes sense to me. If someone wants to know about war, they're just as likely to be interested in region-crashing as they are in RP war. I don't know how much difference it would make; I suspect many people don't read ANY of the FAQ. But it does make sense to mention region-crashing along with war.

Naivetry
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 02, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Naivetry » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:30 am

Romanar wrote:Makes sense to me. If someone wants to know about war, they're just as likely to be interested in region-crashing as they are in RP war. I don't know how much difference it would make; I suspect many people don't read ANY of the FAQ. But it does make sense to mention region-crashing along with war.

And we'd be back under "Gameplay" where we belong. 8) It might have been left under Etiquette as an oversight, or without any real impetus for change, when the griefing rules were switched to the Influence system. (That's just a guess, I wasn't around to see the switch. :P )

Return to Technical