NATION

PASSWORD

Fascism: Good or Bad?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Equestrian Territories
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Fascism: Good or Bad?

Postby Equestrian Territories » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:28 pm

I recently visited the website of the now-disbanded Fascist Party of America. Fascism is most commonly associated with Nazism, even though the two concepts don't go hand-in-hand. However, there are some neat aspects to the fascist ideology: state before self, regulated (but free) market, healthy nationalist pride, etc.

So, what's everyone's take on the matter? Is fascism a system of oppression or liberation? Could it survive and thrive in a modern nation, or is it doomed to remain a relic of bygone ages? Is it a guiding beacon of what a state could be, or is it an ugly reminder of what it is only a few bad days away from becoming?

Ponyfornia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Ponyfornia » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:29 pm

Bad.
The Pan-Slavian Union wrote:Give a shotgun to a Gay, and he'll eventually find some way to mastrubate with it. Give a shotgun to a Russian, and he'll defend his country.

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:30 pm

It's an oppressive system prone to war and/or genocide. Good in theory, but in practice it never ends up well.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

Souseiseki
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 12, 2012
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Souseiseki » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:30 pm

it's hard to agree on what fascism is but from what we can (radical authoritarianism, glorification of war and violence) it's quite bad yes
ask moderation about reading serious moderation candidates TGs without telling them about it until afterwards and/or apparently refusing to confirm/deny the exact timeline of TG reading ~~~ i hope you never sent any of the recent mods or the ones that got really close anything personal!

signature edit: confirmation has been received. they will explicitly do it before and without asking. they can look at TGs basically whenever they want so please keep this in mind when nominating people for moderator or TGing good posters/anyone!
T <---- THE INFAMOUS T

Amuricio
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Amuricio » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:30 pm

Not only bad, but very very bad.

East Ormania
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby East Ormania » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:32 pm

If one does not mistake Facism with Nazism then it's not tottally a bad thing.
In fact, some ideas of facism, such as more patriotic propagand are so bad.
The Serbian Empire wrote:It's an oppressive system prone to war and/or genocide. Good in theory, but in practice it never ends up well.

Just like communism. It can end up a good thing tough. If the leader is not a genocidal maniac.
ayy lmao
Stand
Stand

with
with

Russia
Novorossiya

Mewtinigrad
Envoy

Founded: Sep 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Mewtinigrad » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:34 pm

Fascism is one of those things where not only is it bad in practice, it's also pretty shitty in theory too. An ideology focused around extreme nationalism, xenophobia, imperialism, and most of all the perceived inequality of mankind sounds nightmarish to me.
Ayreonia wrote:I just knew nobody would say they like Fox News without serious incentive.

Economic Left/Right: -9.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.92
If your name ends with in, time to get out

Imperilia
Political Columnist

Founded: Oct 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperilia » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:37 pm

"Its the greatest! not only that we get protected daily but with fair wages, a good police force and an excellent military!. were always safe from harm fascism is the Norm!

-Imperilia "Worker" who always smiles as if it was stitched from ear to ear.
Last edited by Imperilia on Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vazdania
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdania » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:38 pm

Equestrian Territories wrote:I recently visited the website of the now-disbanded Fascist Party of America. Fascism is most commonly associated with Nazism, even though the two concepts don't go hand-in-hand. However, there are some neat aspects to the fascist ideology: state before self, regulated (but free) market, healthy nationalist pride, etc.

So, what's everyone's take on the matter? Is fascism a system of oppression or liberation? Could it survive and thrive in a modern nation, or is it doomed to remain a relic of bygone ages? Is it a guiding beacon of what a state could be, or is it an ugly reminder of what it is only a few bad days away from becoming?

Well its decent if its Peronist.
NSG's Resident Constitutional Executive Monarchist!
We Monarchists Stand With The Morals Of The Past, As We Hatch Impossible Treasons Against The Present.

They Have No Voice; So I will Speak For Them. The Right To Life Is Fundamental To All Humans Regardless Of How Developed They Are. Pro-Woman. Pro-Child. Pro-Life.

NSG's Newest Vegetarian!

Vazdania
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdania » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:39 pm

Mewtinigrad wrote:Fascism is one of those things where not only is it bad in practice, it's also pretty shitty in theory too. An ideology focused around extreme nationalism, xenophobia, imperialism, and most of all the perceived inequality of mankind sounds nightmarish to me.

Sounds decent to me.
We Monarchists Stand With The Morals Of The Past, As We Hatch Impossible Treasons Against The Present.

They Have No Voice; So I will Speak For Them. The Right To Life Is Fundamental To All Humans Regardless Of How Developed They Are. Pro-Woman. Pro-Child. Pro-Life.

NSG's Newest Vegetarian!

Utceforp
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 10, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Utceforp » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:39 pm

The Serbian Empire wrote:It's an oppressive system prone to war and/or genocide. Good in theory, but in practice it never ends up well.

Most things that are "good in theory", aren't, and tend to end badly. I'm gonna go with "it's bad" as well.
Signatures are so 2014.

New Acardia
Minister

Founded: Aug 04, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby New Acardia » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:39 pm

Evil But honest .
Quotes
Those who stand for nothing fall for everything.
Faith with out works is a dead faith
Evil wins when Good does nothing
My Factbook
I am an Eastern Orthodox Christian
I am a Tea Party Conservative
I am a American National Unionist
I am a Liberal Conservative

Shaggai
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Shaggai » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:40 pm

Imperilia wrote:"Its the greatest! not only that we get protected daily but with fair wages, a good police force and an excellent military!. were always safe from harm fascism is the Norm!

-Imperilia "Worker" who always smiles as if it was stitched from ear to ear.

General is OOC.
piss

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:40 pm

While I admit that fascism is not as bad as nazism and is not necessarily evil.....

We're talking about FASCISM......
| Ⓐ | Anarchist Communist | Heideggerian Marxist | Vegetarian | Bisexual | Stirnerite | Slavic/Germanic Pagan | ᛟ |
Solntsa Roshcha --- Postmodern Poyltheist
"Christianity had brutally planted the poisoned blade in the healthy, quivering flesh of all humanity; it had goaded a cold wave
of darkness with mystically brutal fury to dim the serene and festive exultation of the dionysian spirit of our pagan ancestors."
-Renzo Novatore, Verso il Nulla Creatore

Pandeeria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Pandeeria » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:40 pm

Most, if not, all extreme ideologies fail in my opinion. That goes for Fascism, which is both horrible in practice and even in theory.
Lavochkin wrote:Never got why educated people support communism.

In capitalism, you pretty much have a 50/50 chance of being rich or poor. In communism, it's 1/99. What makes people think they have the luck/skill to become the 1% if they can't even succeed in a 50/50 society???

Vazdania
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdania » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:41 pm

Pandeeria wrote:Most, if not, all extreme ideologies fail in my opinion. That goes for Fascism, which is both horrible in practice and even in theory.

what of Peronist Fascism? A strong capitalist system with enormous social programs.

NSG's Newest Vegetarian!

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 24, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:42 pm

Fascism is FABULOUS! Especially when you accessorize with leather.
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

Pandeeria
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Pandeeria » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:43 pm

Vazdania wrote:
Pandeeria wrote:Most, if not, all extreme ideologies fail in my opinion. That goes for Fascism, which is both horrible in practice and even in theory.

what of Peronist Fascism? A strong capitalist system with enormous social programs.

It's pretty authoritarian. And with corporatist traits. Doesn't seem that good to me.

In capitalism, you pretty much have a 50/50 chance of being rich or poor. In communism, it's 1/99. What makes people think they have the luck/skill to become the 1% if they can't even succeed in a 50/50 society???

Vazdania
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdania » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:43 pm

Nazi Flower Power wrote:Fascism is FABULOUS! Especially when you accessorize with leather.

Its fabs with leather....See even NFP agrees.

I was thinking Black leather would be the best.

NSG's Newest Vegetarian!

Vazdania
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdania » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:44 pm

Pandeeria wrote:
Vazdania wrote:what of Peronist Fascism? A strong capitalist system with enormous social programs.

It's pretty authoritarian. And with corporatist traits. Doesn't seem that good to me.

But you admit its better than _____[insert ideology here]_________?????

NSG's Newest Vegetarian!

Pandeeria
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Pandeeria » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:45 pm

Vazdania wrote:
Pandeeria wrote:

But you admit its better than _____[insert ideology here]_________?????

Depends on the inserted ideology. :p

Seems better then other forms of fascism though. But that's not saying much, as I think fascism is amongst the worst of ideologies.
Last edited by Pandeeria on Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mewtinigrad
Envoy

Founded: Sep 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Mewtinigrad » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:46 pm

Vazdania wrote:
Mewtinigrad wrote:Fascism is one of those things where not only is it bad in practice, it's also pretty shitty in theory too. An ideology focused around extreme nationalism, xenophobia, imperialism, and most of all the perceived inequality of mankind sounds nightmarish to me.

Sounds decent to me.

Ayreonia wrote:I just knew nobody would say they like Fox News without serious incentive.

Economic Left/Right: -9.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.92
If your name ends with in, time to get out

Imperium Sidhicum
Senator

Founded: May 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperium Sidhicum » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:47 pm

Fascism isn't a person, so it can't be good or bad - it can only be as good or bad as the people who wield the power. Same as any other ideology including the so sacred and untouchable capitalist liberal democracy.

History consistently shows that all ideologies ever implemented in practice begin with the best of intents and then sooner or later eventually devolve into cesspools of shit and piss. Power corrupts, I guess... Universally.
Freedom doesn't mean being able to do as one please, but rather not to do as one doesn't please.

A fool sees religion as the truth. A smart man sees religion as a lie. A ruler sees religion as a useful tool.

The more God in one's mouth, the less in one's heart.

Vazdania
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdania » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:49 pm

Imperium Sidhicum wrote:Fascism isn't a person, so it can't be good or bad - it can only be as good or bad as the people who wield the power. Same as any other ideology including the so sacred and untouchable capitalist liberal democracy.

History consistently shows that all ideologies ever implemented in practice begin with the best of intents and then sooner or later eventually devolve into cesspools of shit and piss. Power corrupts, I guess... Universally.

Some ideologies (take communism for example) are inherently evil as they place society above the individual.

NSG's Newest Vegetarian!

Utceforp
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 10, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Utceforp » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:50 pm

Imperium Sidhicum wrote:Fascism isn't a person, so it can't be good or bad - it can only be as good or bad as the people who wield the power. Same as any other ideology including the so sacred and untouchable capitalist liberal democracy.

Fascism puts a lot of power in the hands of a few people right away, so the corrupting-stuff happens relatively quickly. Hitler was pretty crazy by the end.
Signatures are so 2014.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General