NATION

PASSWORD

Bureau for the Improvement of NS Businesses [Organisation]

A meeting place where national storefronts can tout their wares and discuss trade. [In character]
Maltropia
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 19, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Bureau for the Improvement of NS Businesses [Organisation]

Postby Maltropia » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:34 pm

[ Falkasia's Thread, '10 - '11 ⋅ Yohannes' Thread, '11 - '12 ]

Falkasia wrote:OOC: First and foremost, this is not a storefront. For those of you who have a hunch what this is about, feel free to skim the ranting below and head straight to the last paragraph thereabout. If I know you, and you know me, and we've discussed horrible designs before, then this is the thread I've been talking about. For now, I shall be doing this solely OOCly as it helps to explain my rationale and the like without IC clutter and formalities.

For many of you, including myself, NationStates is a place we all come to have a good time and enjoy one another's company... and in Ralkovia's twisted mind, blow the shit out of something. It should come as no surprise then, that the level of enjoyment and fun has seriously degraded with the sudden influx of new and beginner nations who either don't bother or outright refuse to read the Stickies and similar tutorial threads there to help them. While this should be none of our concern, it unfortunately forces itself upon us when these new players insist on invading the threads and RPs of our creation and causing havoc in them that could have otherwise been avoided. I know I speak for many of us when I say that a good portion of my threads have failed in the past because a new player failed to read anything and jumped right in.

This, quite contrarily to what I'm saying, is not a rant about the plague of uneducated "newbs," but moreso a call to arms in protection of the old NationStates many of us veterans know and love. I am by no means "noobist," or anti-newbie, discriminatory towards beginning players. We were all there once, believe it or not. GWO was once a tiny nation, as was Greston or Lyras or Salzland. Believe it our not, even I was small once too. That's hardly noticable now, especially with a 4 billion population and a drunk as a Premier. This is beside the fact though, that these new, unmannered players have invaded our forum and are destroying it, whether consciously or not. As quite blatant evidence, take a look at the very forum this is posted in.

While I applaud anybody who takes the time out of his, or her, or it's day to make a storefront, veteran or beginner, the place Economics has become can only be described as deplorable. I come to Econ. looking to buy a new car, or read up on the latest innovation; not to learn about some new player with 5 posts' gun that can shoot miniature nuclear weapons at 1000 rounds per minute out of a barrel no larger than a toothbrush. Normally, we all expect such an "invention" to go the way it would on the old forums; sink below the waves of posts without so much as a recognition. However, nowadays it seems that such technology have become the rule and honest, hardworking storefronts such as Questers' or Lyras' or Vault 10's have become the exception. It's so hard to find something realistic, that it's almost not worth the search.

Problem is, these new, "half-assed" storefronts that utilize "pimpmygun" and the like are so numerous, that it's giving new players the wrong perception on what it means to run a storefront. They pop on, skim the numerous forums to get their bearings; glancing over Economics and seeing how easy it is to make a storefront. Make a weapon on "Pimp," pluck random numbers out of the air, give it a scary name and number designation, and then make a thread selling it. While nothing is inherently wrong with this method, all it does is further the lack of quality that's highly notable on here. I dream of the old days where I wouldn't be able to make it past the first storefront in the thread-list without buying half the stock simply because of sheer awesomeness. Nowadays, I'm lucky if it's the bottom of the third page, although I frequently don't make it that far before facepalming.

See, it's not so much the crap designs that are the problem. I couldn't care less if so-and-so bought this. I'd just I.G.N.O.R.E. Cannon it in RP, as it would eventually die out in Economics. As stated previously, it's the afct that there are so many of these crap storefronts, that new players aren't able to see what a real storefront actually looks like. Further, when we try to help these current storefronts improve, we get the cold shoulder or the "12 year old hissy fit" response. I know you all know what I'm talking about. The " Only post if you're gonna buy," or the "Now get out of my store," or my all-time personal favorite, "It's a game. Games don't have to be realistic." I hate to admit it, but I'm looking forward to the day some new player insists since it's his nation, he can make up the rules of nature that govern it. The designs aren't the bad part, it's the fact that this new generation of players are incapable of change that's the driving force behind my call to arms.

Hence why I'm creating this; the Bureau for the Improvement of Nationstates Storefronts.

Bureau for the Improvement of Nationstates Storefronts is a brainchild of mine, one which I have been discussing with numerous counterparts and associates for quite some time. We are not an IC alliance of storefronts, nor will we ever be, but an OOC organization whose goal is to make Economics a better place. We wish to reinstate the level of quality and fun lost in the year or so after the Jolt transition, and through that help new and beginning players discover the world of NationStates in the manner they should. Through persistance, numbers, sound reasoning, repetition, and calm demeanors, we shall force existing "crap storefront" operators to change their tactics and create realistic designs, as well as offer friendly advice and critiques to any and all who request it. For those who resist this change, things will only become harder down the line as they slowly but surely return to their position as the exception, amongst the rule of quality storefronts.

For those of you who wish to join, simply post below to let me know you're up for it. We, meaning myself and selected people who join, reserve the right to deny anyone we deem unfit for such a role as a Bureau for the Improvement of Nationstates Storefronts Associate/Moderator. This failsafe is in place to prevent the very same thing from happening on the Economics board in here. Keeping the riff-raff out of those who truely know what's up. As I stated above, if I know you, you know me, and I've seen your storefront or sound reasoning before, you'll be accepted with a doubt.

The above quote should explain somewhat what the Bureau for the Improvement of NS Businesses is all about, though it's not entirely relevant to the GE&T forum of today. When I joined back in late 2009, GE&T was a mess. 80% of storefronts were airports or airlines, and the only way to be successful was to be Lyras. Only very gradually, and mostly through the great work of the Bureau and the Help Desk, and people like Yohannes and United Gordonopia, has change come about. Now we have a much more diversified range of storefronts, as UG's excellent surveys[1][2] show, and the quality of these is far better than before.

So why, you might ask, do we need the Bureau?

What I've noticed about this forum in the last while is that there's been a sharp fall in the activity in the Help Desk, and the TGs I used to receive in floods now come as a weekly trickle. While it's nice to think things are so good around here that no one needs help any more, I'm more inclined to think that the reason is more subtle. The Bureau was always more active than the Help Desk, because the reason behind it was to offer constructive criticism, tips, suggestions and the like rather than just to answer questions. Whole storefronts were drastically redesigned after discussions here, and owners who were worried about the appearance of their first threads would get polite and useful feedback. That culture of cooperation is something that's been lost, to a degree, and only briefly re-emerged in the Organisation for Economic Advancement, which was more focused on the In-Character aspect of GE&T.

I know people don't like reading lengthy pieces of nostalgia, but I feel it's important as a backdrop to the purpose of this thread. As Yohannes put it in his edition of the Bureau,
"... it is the main focus of this organisation to assist the new generation of Global Economics & Trade sub-forum roleplayers to perhaps, one day, replace us as the main body of the Ge&T community successfully. Just as the present generation has successfully replaced that of the previous, and thus the cycle of development and learning may be passed on for the betterment of the Ge&T sub-forum, and ultimately that of NationStates and the roleplaying community of NationStates."

Below you will find a list of members of this Bureau. Only those listed there are authorised to use the Bureau for the Improvement of Nationstates Businesses name/likeness in their arguments or advice, as well as claim to be aiding or advising in the name or stead of this organisation. If any non-member player is seen to use the Bureau's name or likeness without being expressly noted on this list, please send me a Telegram so that appropriate steps can be taken. That said, any player is fully permitted to provide advice in this thread, provided it is of a sound nature.

Even if your admittance is pending, or you are using a puppet, you may not go off and grant advice in the Bureau's name or stead until you are put on this list. The members below are well-versed on their respective designing and/or storefront sectors within the NationStates GE&T forum.

Nota bene: That does not mean advice-giving is limited to members only. That would be a terrible arrangement. Anyone who feels they can give advice is perfectly welcome and entitled to, just as long as they do not claim to be representing the Bureau or its membership in any way, shape or form.

If you wish to be added to the list, simply post here saying so. Chances are, if you know what you're doing with storefronts, and I know you and you know me, or whatever, you'll be accepted. I, and the Members of the Bureau, reserve the right to accept/deny/remove any members seen as unfit for the role.

Current Members:(with areas of expertise shown)

A few people were taken off this list due to inactivity. Drop me a TG if you want to be re-added, or be removed.

Other useful links:
Last edited by Maltropia on Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:45 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Ɛ> Maltropia + Tiami 4ever <3
[17:46] <bc> MY ENTHUSIASM EFFECTS MY SPELLING || [19:25] <minn> srsly is maltropia the only one with a brain here :|
Call me Mal(t). Reduce risk of carpal tunnel syndrome!
GE&T:Maritime Imperial Shipwrights | T-O Cartographic
II:Amistad, EATC signatory | PRV founder | CFDS, FIR, ECU member
F&NI:IIwiki | Factbook | Embassy program
WA:Represented by Ambassador Seán Lemass

I used to be a Roleplay Mentor and still love to help people. Find me on Discord and I'll help if I can.

Mikia
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Mikia » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:57 pm

what would the bureau suggest for improving my Arms business at viewtopic.php?f=6&t=260550
Nations of the World there is a new manifesto for a pure a just way for the Gov't, people and Businesses to interact I encourage you to read about Righteous Capitalism it is they way of the future.
Governments need to have both shepherds and butchers.
Voltaire

You live by the gun and knife, and die by the gun and knife.
Joe Valachi
I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.
Albert Camus
Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich.
Napoleon Bonaparte

Whether you say you can or can't you are right
Henry Ford

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:22 pm

MIKIA wrote:what would the bureau suggest for improving my Arms business at viewtopic.php?f=6&t=260550

more and explanation of what precisely you are selling.

For isntance on the reactors is a simply a reactor you are selling for installion into a powerplant or is it an entire powerplant? What kind of reactors are you seeling? what kinds of outputs? You woudl also do with much much more realistic pricing. If it helps wiki has a fair bit of info on the ecomonics of nuclear power production: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economics_ ... wer_plants

On the actual arms side you again will wan tto specify precisely what you are offering. Are these all up bombs ready to be dropped by an aircraft or simply warheads/physics packages that can be installed in a number of delivery mehcanisms. in either case stuff like phsyical daat (weights and dimensions) and more detail on the actual form of weapon.

Detail on the how the chemical and biological agents would supplied would also help a lot.

Basically you want a lot more detail to really make it clear to the cusotmer what they are buying and that they can trust in the fact that you really know your stuff.
The Kingdom of Crookfur
Your ordinary everyday scotiodanavian freedom loving utopia!

And yes I do like big old guns, why do you ask?

Maltropia
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:29 pm

The most obvious thing is a name. Even if it's something as simple as "Nuclear Export Office of Mikia", it will make your storefront look far more professional. I'd also recommend you make a logo, but that's more optional. You can make a title easily enough: give it a larger font size (200 is the biggest you'll need), maybe change the colour, and centre it.

The way you currently open your storefront is just quoting a WA resolution. You don't really need that, and the line of text you have before that is almost like you're trying to prove your innocence, which (hopefully :p) you don't have to do. If you want to keep it, just leave in a link to it. Why waste space that could be used for advertising your stuff?

In general, I'd try to look for more professional wording; something along the lines of "The Mikian Nuclear Export Division is authorised to export nuclear facilities and weaponry by GA Resolution #10".

I'll leave the actual products alone, since Crookfur's covered that, but I will emphasise that detail is vital. You could probably cut down on the use of spoilers, and definitely reduce the size of the picture. If it's not actually a picture of your product, it doesn't need to be more than 200 pixels across, realistically.

Lastly, I'll recommend a couple of threads to look at. My guide to storefront coding might be of use to you, and Aurora Confederacy's South Sands Nuclear might be useful to look at, just to see how it can be done. Don't plagiarise, though, ever. I hate that. :p
[17:46] <bc> MY ENTHUSIASM EFFECTS MY SPELLING || [19:25] <minn> srsly is maltropia the only one with a brain here :|

I used to be a Roleplay Mentor and still love to help people. Find me on Discord and I'll help if I can.

Ceni
Senator

Founded: Jun 26, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Ceni » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:57 pm

Hey ya'll! It's been great to see this Bureau restored; I have been interested for joining for some time now.

As you know, I am one of the newer players on this subforum but I have made up for my newness with my great success, more than I would have expected. In a few short months, I have reached into the construction, aircraft, restaurant, airline, and solar panel businesses, with a ratings agency thrown into boot. My most successful storefront, Sky High Architecture, recently celebrated its 6th month anniversary with over 650 replies, about a hundred a month.

With these remarkable achievements, I hope that you decide to count me in to your venerable association.
THE REPUBLIC OF CENI (the user behind this nation uses he/him/his pronouns)
Air Terranea | The Wanderlust Guide to Ceni | Seven Restaurants in Seven Days: Cataloging Cenian Food
Champions: Di Bradini Cup 38, U-18 World Cup 17
Runners-up: Di Bradini Cup 39, Di Bradini Cup 41
NSTT #1s: Lonus Varalin, Ardil Navsal (singles), Gyrachor Rentos, Val Korekal, Elia Xal/Fia Xal (doubles)
UICA Champions' Cup titles (1): 1860 Azoth
World Cup 76, World Cup 79
Baptism of Fire 61
Cup of Harmony 63
Copa Rushmori 41
International Basketball Championships 20
Cenian Open (Grand Slam) 1-8
<Schottia> I always think of Ceni as what it would be like if Long Island was its own nation, ran by Bernie Sanders lol.

Mikia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Mikia » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:26 pm

thank you both just one question how can i change the name of spoilers I've seen it done i just don't know how and i believe it would look professional
Nations of the World there is a new manifesto for a pure a just way for the Gov't, people and Businesses to interact I encourage you to read about Righteous Capitalism it is they way of the future.
Voltaire

Joe Valachi
I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.
Albert Camus
Napoleon Bonaparte

Henry Ford

Maltropia
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:30 pm

Ceni wrote:With these remarkable achievements, I hope that you decide to count me in to your venerable association.

Achievements aside, what exactly are your qualifications? Not trying to be rude here, just wondering what your area of expertise is.

MIKIA wrote:thank you both just one question how can i change the name of spoilers I've seen it done i just don't know how and i believe it would look professional

Change the [spoiler] tag to [spoiler=Your Text Here]. ;)

Ceni
Senator

Founded: Jun 26, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Ceni » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:33 pm

Maltropia wrote:Achievements aside, what exactly are your qualifications? Not trying to be rude here, just wondering what your area of expertise is.

No rudeness taken. I've become an expert in as product development and about us/history sections. Customer service is a strong suit but not as strong as others.

Lol, it's like an election.
THE REPUBLIC OF CENI (the user behind this nation uses he/him/his pronouns)
Air Terranea | The Wanderlust Guide to Ceni | Seven Restaurants in Seven Days: Cataloging Cenian Food
Champions: Di Bradini Cup 38, U-18 World Cup 17
Runners-up: Di Bradini Cup 39, Di Bradini Cup 41
NSTT #1s: Lonus Varalin, Ardil Navsal (singles), Gyrachor Rentos, Val Korekal, Elia Xal/Fia Xal (doubles)
UICA Champions' Cup titles (1): 1860 Azoth
World Cup 76, World Cup 79
Baptism of Fire 61
Cup of Harmony 63
Copa Rushmori 41
International Basketball Championships 20
Cenian Open (Grand Slam) 1-8
<Schottia> I always think of Ceni as what it would be like if Long Island was its own nation, ran by Bernie Sanders lol.

Maltropia
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:35 pm

Ceni wrote:
Maltropia wrote:Achievements aside, what exactly are your qualifications? Not trying to be rude here, just wondering what your area of expertise is.

No rudeness taken. I've become an expert in as product development and about us/history sections. Customer service is a strong suit but not as strong as others.

Lol, it's like an election.

I want to make sure the Bureau keeps its reputation for quality without seeming elitist, so I do have to make sure I'm accepting the right people. Welcome aboard, anyway. :)

Mikia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Mikia » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:38 pm

Maltropia wrote:
Ceni wrote:With these remarkable achievements, I hope that you decide to count me in to your venerable association.

Achievements aside, what exactly are your qualifications? Not trying to be rude here, just wondering what your area of expertise is.

MIKIA wrote:thank you both just one question how can i change the name of spoilers I've seen it done i just don't know how and i believe it would look professional

Change the [spoiler] tag to [spoiler=Your Text Here]. ;)

ohhhhh thanks will let you know when do so you may critic it

ready please check viewtopic.php?f=6&t=260550&p=16443456#p16443456 again.
Last edited by Mikia on Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Voltaire

Joe Valachi
Albert Camus
Napoleon Bonaparte

Henry Ford

Lamoni
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Lamoni » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:29 pm

As a member of this organization, I would like to say that there are no words for how happy I am to see the Bureau revived at this time.
National Anthem
Resides in Greater Dienstad. (Former) Mayor of Equilism.
I'm a Senior N&I RP Mentor. Questions? TG me!
Licana on the M-21A2 MBT: "Well, it is one of the most badass tanks on NS."

Vortiaganica: Lamoni I understand fully, of course. The two (Lamoni & Lyras) are more inseparable than the Clinton family and politics.

Triplebaconation: Lamoni commands a quiet respect that carries its own authority. He is the Mandela of NS.

Part of the Meow family in Gameplay, and a GORRAM GAME MOD! My TGs are NOT for Mod Stuff.

New Azura
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 22, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby New Azura » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:34 pm

MIKIA wrote:ohhhhh thanks will let you know when do so you may critic it

Something that might help you aesthetically is to try spacing things out a bit. Under your spoiler tags, things can kind of get jumbled together and look a bit clunky. I know that it may not seem like much, but sometimes the little things can help your business stand out more. That's important, considering the market you're trying to broach is heavily competitive, and one of the most popular in Global Economics and Trade. Another suggestion would be to do a good review to make sure your HTML formatting is correct; there's a spoiler tag that's broken in the link right now, but an easy fix nonetheless.
Last edited by New Azura on Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
THEEVENGUARDOFAZURA
UNFIOREPERILCOLOSSO

FRIEND OF KRAVEN (2005-2023)KRAVEN PREVAILS!18 YEARS OF STORIES DELETED

THEDOMINIONOFTHEAZURANS
CAPITAL:RAEVENNADEMONYM:AZURGOVERNMENT:SYNDICAL REPUBLICLANGUAGE:AZURI

Her Graceful Excellence the Phaedra
CALIXTEIMARAUDER
By the Grace of the Lord God, the Daughter of Tsyion, Spirited Maiden, First Matron of House Vardanyan
Imperatrix of the Evenguard of Azura and Sovereign Over Her Dependencies, the Governess of Isaura
and the Defender of the Children of Azura

— Controlled Nations —
Artemis Noir, Dragua Sevua, Grand Ventana, Hanasaku, New Azura, Nova Secta and Xiahua

— Other Supported Regions —
Esvanovia (P/MT), Teremara (P/MT), The Local Cluster (FT)

— Roleplay Tech Levels —
[PT][MT][PMT][FT][FanT]

Mikia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Mikia » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:37 pm

New Azura wrote:
MIKIA wrote:ohhhhh thanks will let you know when do so you may critic it

Something that might help you aesthetically is to try spacing things out a bit. Under your spoiler tags, things can kind of get jumbled together and look a bit clunky. I know that it may not seem like much, but sometimes the little things can help your business stand out more. That's important, considering the market you're trying to broach is heavily competitive, and one of the most popular in Global Economics and Trade. Another suggestion would be to do a good review to make sure your HTML formatting is correct; there's a spoiler tag that's broken in the link right now, but an easy fix nonetheless.

THANK YOU and the bureau for it's help and i acknowledged you help on my storefront,

how about now how does it flow?
Last edited by Mikia on Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Voltaire

Joe Valachi
Albert Camus
Napoleon Bonaparte

Henry Ford

New Azura
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 22, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby New Azura » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:52 pm

MIKIA wrote:
New Azura wrote:

THANK YOU and the bureau for it's help and i acknowledged you help on my storefront,

how about now how does it flow?

I think that your issue with the broken spoiler tag in the OP is that you can only use letters if I'm not mistaken. By putting the '/' in your [ spoiler ] tag, it's causing it to be broken—I'd try removing the backslash to see if that corrects the problem. So instead of doing '[ spoiler=Disposing/Recycling Waste ]', do [ spoiler=Disposing and Recycling Waste ]' instead. Otherwise, it's coming along nicely. The spacing you added goes a long way aesthetically. Also, something I learned by trial and error in helping organize information is to use the [ table ] HTML feature. It's pretty handy for organizational purposes, and all it takes is a bit of experimenting to figure out how to format your items using a table. Here's an example using your own product line. I'll leave the code below if you want to see how I formatted it:

Explosive YieldRadiation FatalityThermal IgnitionSevere Structural Damage50% Blast Mortality
1 Megaton2.4 km16 km10 km7.7 km
10 megatons3.7 km37 km22 km19 km
100 megatons5 km75 km34 km30 km
500 megatons6.27 km93.75 km40 km40 km
1000 megatons8 km600 km600 km300.41km

Code: Select all
[table][td][tab=5][b]Explosive Yield[/b][/tab][/td][td][tab=5][b]Radiation Fatality[/b][/tab][/td][td][tab=5][b]Thermal Ignition[/b][/tab][/td][td][tab=5][b]Severe Structural Damage[/b][/tab][/td][td][tab=5][b]50% Blast Mortality[/b][/tab][/td][tr][/tr][td][tab=5]1 Megaton[/tab][/td][td][tab=5]2.4 km[/tab][/td][td][tab=5]16 km[/tab][/td][td][tab=5]10 km[/tab][/td][td][tab=5]7.7 km[/tab][/td][tr][/tr][td][tab=5]10 megatons[/tab][/td][td][tab=5]3.7 km[/tab][/td][td][tab=5]37 km[/tab][/td][td][tab=5]22 km[/tab][/td][td][tab=5]19 km[/tab][/td][tr][/tr][td][tab=5]100 megatons[/tab][/td][td][tab=5]5 km[/tab][/td][td][tab=5]75 km[/tab][/td][td][tab=5]34 km[/tab][/td][td][tab=5]30 km[/tab][/td][tr][/tr][td][tab=5]500 megatons[/tab][/td][td][tab=5]6.27 km[/tab][/td][td][tab=5]93.75 km[/tab][/td][td][tab=5]40 km[/tab][/td][td][tab=5]40 km[/tab][/td][tr][/tr][td][tab=5]1000 megatons[/tab][/td][td][tab=5]8 km[/tab][/td][td][tab=5]600 km[/tab][/td][td][tab=5]600 km[/tab][/td][td][tab=5]300.41km[/tab][/td][/table]
Last edited by New Azura on Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
THEEVENGUARDOFAZURA
UNFIOREPERILCOLOSSO

FRIEND OF KRAVEN (2005-2023)KRAVEN PREVAILS!18 YEARS OF STORIES DELETED

THEDOMINIONOFTHEAZURANS
CAPITAL:RAEVENNADEMONYM:AZURGOVERNMENT:SYNDICAL REPUBLICLANGUAGE:AZURI

Her Graceful Excellence the Phaedra
CALIXTEIMARAUDER
By the Grace of the Lord God, the Daughter of Tsyion, Spirited Maiden, First Matron of House Vardanyan
Imperatrix of the Evenguard of Azura and Sovereign Over Her Dependencies, the Governess of Isaura
and the Defender of the Children of Azura

— Controlled Nations —
Artemis Noir, Dragua Sevua, Grand Ventana, Hanasaku, New Azura, Nova Secta and Xiahua

— Other Supported Regions —
Esvanovia (P/MT), Teremara (P/MT), The Local Cluster (FT)

— Roleplay Tech Levels —
[PT][MT][PMT][FT][FanT]

Mikia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Mikia » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:03 pm

hey thanks you all have been very helpful keep up the good work :)
Voltaire

Joe Valachi
Albert Camus
Napoleon Bonaparte

Henry Ford

Falkasia
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 22, 2008
Father Knows Best State

Postby Falkasia » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:29 pm

You did an excellent job reformulating the Bureau Maltropia. Good work, and thanks for doing what remains of my legacy proud. I wish you all luck in your continued endeavors, and should the day arise where my RL time becomes more liberated, I would very much like to rejoin as a mentor.
Universal Defense Consolidated Storefront
Dramatis Personae
Just for the record; I'm colorblind to Yellow
Falkasia is ranked 1st in the region and 1st in the world for Most Awesome Nations.

Vandelstein
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Vandelstein » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:52 am

Hi there. I'd like to consult the bureau regarding my two storefronts. I'd appreciate any suggestions or comments you may have so I can improve them. Thanks!

Here are my two storefronts:

Skyway Airlines
Helsingberg International Airport

I also have some background in editing and I always use customized pictures, banners, etc. on my storefronts to give them some "flair". If it would be fine, I'd like to share what I know and can do with the bureau and those who wish to ask.
Last edited by Vandelstein on Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jungastia
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 01, 2009
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Jungastia » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:19 am

Vandelstein wrote:
Hi there. I'd like to consult the bureau regarding my two storefronts. I'd appreciate any suggestions or comments you may have so I can improve them. Thanks!

Skyway Airlines

I also have some background in editing and I always use customized pictures, banners, etc. on my storefronts to give them some "flair". If it would be fine, I'd like to share what I know and can do with the bureau and those who wish to ask.

Hello there!

Im going to just respond about your airline in this, as airport threads take a lot longer for me to kind of get my head around. Im going to work from the top of the post downwards pointing out good things and bad things in the order the viewer will see them.

First the logo banner. its a very smooth piece of design, a good style showing a clear brand and design.

Next we move on to something that Is something I can make reference to much of the storefront, and for me its a big flashing red light. If your going to put in destinations, continents served and aerocrafts used, please try to use NS only things, so there are some excellent aeorcraft manufacturers out there, I personally favour Monteluci,because of the realism of the offerings, but as long as its an incredibly good design any NS storefront is good. As well as this there are literally thousands of regions you can use instead of ones in the real world. Others may disagree with me on this, but I feel it is better to work in a worlds that is NS-exclusive.

Moving onto another thing I feel lets you down is having your storefront rating on your storefront. Im not a fan of the ratings, its not something I feel is in the spirit of the forums. Its also semi out of character. Get people to post in-character reviews of service on flights etc, or have links to news reports etc., but not a rating. Just how I see it.

Great sizing choice for the IATA etc., logos flows nicely, is clear, but doesn't disrupt the reading. however, the codes/call-sign section should be in black, grey, or a muted colour, to be easily legible in the standard NS style, as opposed to in the dark style. I will be doing this look over in standard light colour NS. Stick to simple easy legible muted colours, especially for a legacy brand.

Again, my own view but the history section is about 4 times as long as it needs to be. Cut it down the the development of the company, not so much national events. And again stick to NS airlines, NS locations and NS planes. By having a shorter history section, it allows one to remove a lot of spoilers and end up with a more readable piece.

I really do admire your attention to detail, but remember your marketing, I would perhaps suggest going into intense detail perhaps on IIwiki or similar, as it keeps it short for those who want it, but allows a detailed amount of information for nerds like me who like to go into anally retentive detail.

The banners on each section are excellent. very nice continuous branding.

IT would be prudent to combine the classes and cabins sections into one just looking at travel classes. Remember there's this odd line to tread between appealing mainly to airports etc, and then having that feel that people can read it and believe they could travel on an airline. On my own JIa storefront Ive tried to be simple when its come to the technical details such as luggage allowances.

Now applications, and all that jazz. Remember Airlines on NS tend to work as inviting airports to apply for services to them, applying to operate services to airports and offering people the ability to buy tickets for destinations. I would also advice being very very selective with who you work with, picking bands who reflect the style you have.

Now people like gradings and quantitative results so I'm going toe condense my thoughts into a letter rating from A at the top to F at the bottom.

I would give comfortable High C, low B. Saying that a better integration into the NS world, and some clever content adjustment would comfortably lend it to a high A :)

hope that helps,

Jung x
Part time Human.

Timezone - UTC+0 (GMT)

Vandelstein
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Vandelstein » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:58 am

Jungastia wrote:
Vandelstein wrote:

Skyway Airlines

Hello there!

Im going to just respond about your airline in this, as airport threads take a lot longer for me to kind of get my head around. Im going to work from the top of the post downwards pointing out good things and bad things in the order the viewer will see them.

First the logo banner. its a very smooth piece of design, a good style showing a clear brand and design.

Next we move on to something that Is something I can make reference to much of the storefront, and for me its a big flashing red light. If your going to put in destinations, continents served and aerocrafts used, please try to use NS only things, so there are some excellent aeorcraft manufacturers out there, I personally favour Monteluci,because of the realism of the offerings, but as long as its an incredibly good design any NS storefront is good. As well as this there are literally thousands of regions you can use instead of ones in the real world. Others may disagree with me on this, but I feel it is better to work in a worlds that is NS-exclusive.

Moving onto another thing I feel lets you down is having your storefront rating on your storefront. Im not a fan of the ratings, its not something I feel is in the spirit of the forums. Its also semi out of character. Get people to post in-character reviews of service on flights etc, or have links to news reports etc., but not a rating. Just how I see it.

Great sizing choice for the IATA etc., logos flows nicely, is clear, but doesn't disrupt the reading. however, the codes/call-sign section should be in black, grey, or a muted colour, to be easily legible in the standard NS style, as opposed to in the dark style. I will be doing this look over in standard light colour NS. Stick to simple easy legible muted colours, especially for a legacy brand.

Again, my own view but the history section is about 4 times as long as it needs to be. Cut it down the the development of the company, not so much national events. And again stick to NS airlines, NS locations and NS planes. By having a shorter history section, it allows one to remove a lot of spoilers and end up with a more readable piece.

I really do admire your attention to detail, but remember your marketing, I would perhaps suggest going into intense detail perhaps on IIwiki or similar, as it keeps it short for those who want it, but allows a detailed amount of information for nerds like me who like to go into anally retentive detail.

The banners on each section are excellent. very nice continuous branding.

IT would be prudent to combine the classes and cabins sections into one just looking at travel classes. Remember there's this odd line to tread between appealing mainly to airports etc, and then having that feel that people can read it and believe they could travel on an airline. On my own JIa storefront Ive tried to be simple when its come to the technical details such as luggage allowances.

Now applications, and all that jazz. Remember Airlines on NS tend to work as inviting airports to apply for services to them, applying to operate services to airports and offering people the ability to buy tickets for destinations. I would also advice being very very selective with who you work with, picking bands who reflect the style you have.

Now people like gradings and quantitative results so I'm going toe condense my thoughts into a letter rating from A at the top to F at the bottom.

I would give comfortable High C, low B. Saying that a better integration into the NS world, and some clever content adjustment would comfortably lend it to a high A :)

hope that helps,

Jung x

Thanks for all the helpful input. I'll take your suggestions into consideration and make the necessary edits once my exams are through. I'll let you know if it's done and I can't wait to hear for your comments on my airport storefront! :)

Maltropia
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:04 am

At Jungastia's suggestion, I'll be including members' special areas of expertise next to their names in the OP, so if people could either post here or TG me about that I'd appreciate it. :)

Vandelstein wrote:

Skyway Airlines

Seeing as Jung's already done a great job talking about your airline, I'll just make a few comments on your airport. Well, one comment on the airline, and unrelated to appearance - my IATA doesn't use numbers in its codes, so I'd recommend you try something like SK instead. ;)

Okay, airport. Firstly, yes, it is snazzy. Very snazzy indeed. I'd recommend you make the snazziness a bit more noticeable, though, by maybe moving the list of Updates to the bottom of the first post. People shouldn't have to scroll to see your logo.

The rest of the first post looks great, though I echo the concerns about specialising for one, less-used site theme. As someone who also uses the dark theme, I will say that I always check my storefronts in both Default and Dark before I finalise colours and everything, lest I sear out the eyeballs of my clientèle.

I'm apprehensive about your heavy use of spoilers. I accept that, on the one hand, there is a lot of detail which adds up and it's best not to make the thread overwhelmingly long, but, at the same time, how many websites do you see hiding all their information away? My preference is for visibility rather than stealth, even if it leads to dropping elements from the storefront. It's your call, of course, and if you think you'd prefer to keep it all then spoilers are probably the best way to go.

Also, I'm really not convinced that four hundred and fifty two gates is a good idea. Sure, it's a big airport, and NS does tend to magnify things, but it will be a long time before you fill even half of those. My own airport, which is the second biggest in GE&T in terms of posts, has taken a year and half to fill fewer than 200. Again, your call, but it will look very empty for a while.

I don't really have any criticism of it, beyond those few things. It's easily one of the best airports I've seen. Well done! :)

Feebland
Envoy

Founded: Aug 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Feebland » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:14 pm

This is a great tool for beginning players. I would like to join the Bureau. I have only a single storefront (see signature), but I intend to develop more in the future. I have expertise in aviation (aircraft, not airlines), ships (both civil and military), and fish/fishing. For evidence of my knowledge, you can see my Factbook (link below) for naval systems, and my Storefront for fish. Aviation stats and specs are my hobby.
Last edited by Feebland on Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pro: Democracy, Socialism, gun control, universal healthcare, Obama, nature, conservation, animal rights, LGBT rights, racial equality, gender equality, tolerance, The Netherlands, green energy
Anti: conservatism, laissez-faire capitalism, megacorporations, pollution, anarchy, GOP, Tea Party, fascism, dictatorship, theocracy, homophobia, xenophobia, fossil fuels, Libertarians

Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: -8.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.72

I am a Dutch liberal living in the Southern US, where liberals are an endangered species.
Ik spreek Nederlands en Engels. (I speak Dutch and English).

Check out my storefront! FeebFish
Trackers aren't accurate. See my factbook (http://www.nationstates.net/nation=feebland/detail=factbook) for info about my nation.

KINKIY
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 15, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby KINKIY » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:20 pm

delete
Last edited by KINKIY on Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bat hadar
Secretary

Founded: Sep 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Bat hadar » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:21 pm

KINKIY wrote:I want start a business and I need some help

Maltropia
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:02 pm

I'd recommend that you make UG's Guide to Creating a Storefront your first port of call, since it pretty much covers all the bases. :)

Feebland wrote:This is a great tool for beginning players. I would like to join the Bureau. I have only a single storefront (see signature), but I intend to develop more in the future. I have expertise in aviation (aircraft, not airlines), ships (both civil and military), and fish/fishing. For evidence of my knowledge, you can see my Factbook (link below) for naval systems, and my Storefront for fish. Aviation stats and specs are my hobby.

I think I'd like to see more evidence of your work, etc., before I add you to the Members list, but feel free to offer advice anyway. :)
Last edited by Maltropia on Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nerod Empire
Envoy

Founded: Feb 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nerod Empire » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:39 pm

What do you recommend me to improve and get more people in my Patent Office? viewtopic.php?f=6&t=263460
Great New Nerodian Empire
******Don Pedrokus Nerod******

IIWiki (no use for Septentrion RP)
RP Population: 2,251,049,120
RP Population (Septentrion): ~81 million

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Global Economics and Trade