NATION

PASSWORD

A Critique of NS Moderation Policy

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Edlichbury
Minister

Founded: Aug 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Edlichbury » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:58 am

Luveria wrote:
Lost heros wrote:...
Luveria for mod 2013!

Psst. Get your people to campaign for me and next mod election I'll get my political machine to endorse you.

Guys, this thread started as a complaint about inconsistent moderation. Stop trying to co-opt my revolution!

Luveria
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Luveria » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:03 am

Edlichbury wrote:
Luveria wrote:Psst. Get your people to campaign for me and next mod election I'll get my political machine to endorse you.

Guys, this thread started as a complaint about inconsistent moderation. Stop trying to co-opt my revolution!

Listen, Edlich. I need you to drop out of the election... I'll be more than happy to send you $100 through Paypal if you suddenly lose interest in running for a mod position. But keep this between us. ;)

Hurdegaryp
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Hurdegaryp » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:05 am

Luveria wrote:
Edlichbury wrote:...

Listen, Edlich. I need you to drop out of the election... I'll be more than happy to send you $100 through Paypal if you suddenly lose interest in running for a mod position. But keep this between us. ;)

This is not your Telegrams Inbox.
CVT Temp wrote:I mean, we can actually create a mathematical definition for evolution in terms of the evolutionary algorithm and then write code to deal with abstract instances of evolution, which basically equates to mathematical proof that evolution works. All that remains is to show that biological systems replicate in such a way as to satisfy the minimal criteria required for evolution to apply to them, something which has already been adequately shown time and again. At this point, we've pretty much proven that not only can evolution happen, it pretty much must happen since it's basically impossible to prevent it from happening.

Stahn
Senator

Founded: May 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Stahn » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:06 am

I don't think a lot of the moderators on this forum do a very good job. I have had some dealings with moderators and in most cases I am not happy with the outcome or feel that the moderator involved was fair.

But I doubt complaining will help much. I have not seen many examples of forum moderators taking the complaints of users very serious.

Now I just try to avoid having to deal with them as much as possible.

But if the team is considerating to evaluate their combined performance seriously, I would be very much in favor of that.

For what it is worth.

God Kefka
Senator

Founded: Aug 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby God Kefka » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:10 am

Moderators have always done a good job... everywhere and anytime. Of course they have...

Whenever there is injustice, they have always acted as sentinels of righteousness and sorted it out. This fervor for reasoned justice is balanced by an uncommon but necessary restraint. Where populism calls for certain individuals to be hanged without good cause, I have on the whole found the moderators capable of almost divine restraint, calm analysis, and self-control.
Art thread
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=261761

''WAIT?! Do I look like a waiter to you?''

Euroslavia
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Euroslavia » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:15 am

God Kefka wrote:Moderators have always done a good job... everywhere and anytime. Of course they have...

Whenever there is injustice, they have always acted as sentinels of righteousness and sorted it out. This fervor for reasoned justice is balanced by an uncommon but necessary restraint. Where populism calls for certain individuals to be hanged without good cause, I have on the whole found the moderators capable of almost divine restraint, calm analysis, and self-control.

Thanks. I just spit my pepsi on the carpet. (Side note, windex takes it right out!)
BRAVE ENOUGH

BRAVE ENOUGH

BRAVE ENOUGH

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:21 am

Euroslavia wrote:
God Kefka wrote:Moderators have always done a good job... everywhere and anytime. Of course they have...

Thanks. I just spit my pepsi on the carpet. (Side note, windex takes it right out!)

:rofl: Sigging.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:23 am

Euroslavia wrote:

Yes, but then your cat smells the ammonia in the Windex and pees on it.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Vazdania
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdania » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:24 am

Euroslavia wrote:

It also takes out ink from the carpet as well!

Sorry if that is a threadjack....

Mods are awesome they do an awesome job.
NSG's Resident Constitutional Executive Monarchist!
We Monarchists Stand With The Morals Of The Past, As We Hatch Impossible Treasons Against The Present.

They Have No Voice; So I will Speak For Them. The Right To Life Is Fundamental To All Humans Regardless Of How Developed They Are. Pro-Woman. Pro-Child. Pro-Life.

NSG's Newest Vegetarian!

DesAnges
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 02, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby DesAnges » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:25 am

Vazdania wrote:
Euroslavia wrote:Thanks. I just spit my pepsi on the carpet. (Side note, windex takes it right out!)

The mods do an adequate job and they can always improve.
My name is Kim-Jong Ayatollah, and I'm a big boy. I'm ten and three-quarters. I have high levels of respect for this man. <3<32 NSG, two pages into a debate
@Iseabbv Don't @ me

DrakoBlaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 31, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby DrakoBlaria » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:28 am

My only complaint is that they are biased when it comes to certain players. Apart from them my only complain would be people reporting obvious jokes and since the mods haven't read the entire thread they think it is rule breaking... I blame for reporting when they shouldn't
Kleomentia wrote:Almighty Hellenic Overlord of Slavya, he who is the son of Zeus and the father of Greekishness.
When Greeks stop being nationalists, they stop being Greeks
ABOUT ME:
Male, Greek Nationalist, Orthodox Christian, State Capitalist
EU, communism, abortion, Greek/Turkish friendship, NATO, illegal immigration, Globalism, FYROM, gay marriage
Enosis, Megali Idea, Putin, Guns, Nationalism, Equallity, Kurdistan, Assyria
Economic Left/Right: -5.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 1.74

Tahar Joblis
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tahar Joblis » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:29 am

The World Famous Octagon wrote:
Aurora Novus wrote:The majority cannot deny rights, and ergo, is incapable of committing "tyranny" in that sense.

It can't?

You do know who was democratically elected into power, don't you?

Hitler's rise to power isn't best described as "democratically elected into power."

After coming off second-best in the '32 elections, back-room wrangling gave him the position of chancellor, and the decree that handed him emergency powers allowing control of the press and summary arrests of opposition party members was issued before the March election... in which armed suppression of the opposition and widespread intimidation of voters still failed to hand him a majority.

Then the Nazis strong-armed the parliament into giving up all its powers. Blaming Hitler on democracy is like blaming the American Revolution on slavery; not exactly something irrelevant to the issue, as slavery had a great deal to do with the commercial success of the colonies and it would in fact have been seriously threatened by continuing to stay within the British Empire, but not really the proximate cause.

Hitler could not achieve a majority of the vote at gunpoint with numerous members of the opposition party sitting in jail and the press under government control - which is to say that democracy had already been compromised by the time Hitler managed to cheat his way to a narrow plurality. And that election didn't put Hitler into any new office; he was chancellor before and remained chancellor afterwards.

DesAnges
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby DesAnges » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:30 am

DrakoBlaria wrote:My only complaint is that they are biased when it comes to certain players. Apart from them my only complain would be people reporting obvious jokes and since the mods haven't read the entire thread they think it is rule breaking... I blame for reporting when they shouldn't

I believe they are beginning to institute a new policy of reading threads. Not sure on whether that's an overlap from the last thread or not though.
My name is Kim-Jong Ayatollah, and I'm a big boy. I'm ten and three-quarters. I have high levels of respect for this man. <3<32 NSG, two pages into a debate
@Iseabbv Don't @ me

Hurdegaryp
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Hurdegaryp » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:30 am

DesAnges wrote:
Vazdania wrote:It also takes out ink from the carpet as well!

Threads such as these always make me glad we have the moderators we currently have, since some of those who criticize the mods clearly do so with a hidden agenda in mind. They're doing an excellent job achieving exactly the opposite of what they desire. Keep up the good work, lads!
CVT Temp wrote:I mean, we can actually create a mathematical definition for evolution in terms of the evolutionary algorithm and then write code to deal with abstract instances of evolution, which basically equates to mathematical proof that evolution works. All that remains is to show that biological systems replicate in such a way as to satisfy the minimal criteria required for evolution to apply to them, something which has already been adequately shown time and again. At this point, we've pretty much proven that not only can evolution happen, it pretty much must happen since it's basically impossible to prevent it from happening.

DrakoBlaria
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby DrakoBlaria » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:32 am

DesAnges wrote:
DrakoBlaria wrote:My only complaint is that they are biased when it comes to certain players. Apart from them my only complain would be people reporting obvious jokes and since the mods haven't read the entire thread they think it is rule breaking... I blame for reporting when they shouldn't

I believe they are beginning to institute a new policy of reading threads. Not sure on whether that's an overlap from the last thread or not though.

I hope so.
Oh and then there is the occasional trolling/baiting of the mods when they ban someone. A "you are banned for x reason" would have been enough without the insults...
Kleomentia wrote:Almighty Hellenic Overlord of Slavya, he who is the son of Zeus and the father of Greekishness.
ABOUT ME:
EU, communism, abortion, Greek/Turkish friendship, NATO, illegal immigration, Globalism, FYROM, gay marriage

DesAnges
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby DesAnges » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:32 am

Hurdegaryp wrote:
DesAnges wrote:The mods do an adequate job and they can always improve.

Threads such as these always make me glad we have the moderators we currently have, since some of those who criticize the mods clearly do so with a hidden agenda in mind. They're doing an excellent job achieving exactly the opposite of what they desire. Keep up the good work, lads!

You've missed the point, Hurde. There are always ways to improve and the mods should operate along those lines. Having a lot of people dribble sycophantically over them is not going to make this a better place to be.
@Iseabbv Don't @ me

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:34 am

DesAnges wrote:
Hurdegaryp wrote:Threads such as these always make me glad we have the moderators we currently have, since some of those who criticize the mods clearly do so with a hidden agenda in mind. They're doing an excellent job achieving exactly the opposite of what they desire. Keep up the good work, lads!

You've missed the point, Hurde. There are always ways to improve and the mods should operate along those lines. Having a lot of people dribble sycophantically over them is not going to make this a better place to be.

That depends entirely on your point of view.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

DrakoBlaria
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby DrakoBlaria » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:34 am

DesAnges wrote:
Hurdegaryp wrote:Threads such as these always make me glad we have the moderators we currently have, since some of those who criticize the mods clearly do so with a hidden agenda in mind. They're doing an excellent job achieving exactly the opposite of what they desire. Keep up the good work, lads!

In my opinion the mods, no matter who you appoint as such, would act the same way. We just need to add a line bewteen what is actually baiting/offending and ruining the site and what is a joke that only offends people who think Jap as in "I like Jap Anime" is a slur against all Japanese..
ABOUT ME:

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:35 am

DesAnges wrote:
Vazdania wrote:

This. I fail to see how it can take 17 days to resolve a rather simple issue, even when taking different timezones and schedules into account.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Hurdegaryp
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Hurdegaryp » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:36 am

DesAnges wrote:

Dribble, dribble.

But seriously, we could do worse than the current bunch, motley crew as they may be. Granted, sometimes people are allowed to spread their poison for months on end before they are removed from this place, but that probably means not all their transgressions were properly reported.

Luveria
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Luveria » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:38 am

Hurdegaryp wrote:
DesAnges wrote:The mods do an adequate job and they can always improve.

Someone's being a brown-noser. :p

DesAnges
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby DesAnges » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:38 am

DrakoBlaria wrote:
DesAnges wrote:You've missed the point, Hurde. There are always ways to improve and the mods should operate along those lines. Having a lot of people dribble sycophantically over them is not going to make this a better place to be.

In my opinion the mods, no matter who you appoint as such, would act the same way. We just need to add a line bewteen what is actually baiting/offending and ruining the site and what is a joke that only offends people who think Jap as in "I like Jap Anime" is a slur against all Japanese..

Objective lines would help no one.
@Iseabbv Don't @ me

Hurdegaryp
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Hurdegaryp » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:39 am

Luveria wrote:

Someone's being a brown-noser. :p

I am a man with many talents.

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Esternial » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:39 am

Farnhamia wrote:
DesAnges wrote:You've missed the point, Hurde. There are always ways to improve and the mods should operate along those lines. Having a lot of people dribble sycophantically over them is not going to make this a better place to be.

That depends entirely on your point of view.

Could you elaborate?

DesAnges
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby DesAnges » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:40 am

Esternial wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:That depends entirely on your point of view.

Could you elaborate?

Farn's a mod. Receiving excessive amount of high praise would undoubtedly make this a better place for the praisee.
@Iseabbv Don't @ me

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General