NATION

PASSWORD

Belgium

Talk about regional management and politics, raider/defender gameplay, and other game-related matters.
Not a roleplaying forum.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Northern Chittowa
Envoy

Founded: Mar 03, 2005
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Re: Belgium

Postby Northern Chittowa » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:23 pm

Dysian wrote:well I am a newer raider.

No you are not a raider, you are an imperlialist.

But beside that point, do you think that it is sustainable what you are doing?

Daynor
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 25, 2008
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Daynor » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:40 pm

Northern Chittowa wrote:

No you are not a raider, you are an imperlialist.

But beside that point, do you think that it is sustainable what you are doing?

I honestly don't see how it couldn't be... More founders die everyday, probably more than are raided for sure. He'd eventually run out of historic founderless regions, but there will always be a huge number of regions without fouders... Heck, there are still several founderless regions that are historic, and if Todd was right about this taking like a year for them to finish (I don't know, but assuming he is:) they could probably sustain for a long time... one per year...

I still don't like it of course... but it's not going to self-distruct.
Young Libertarian Conservative
Political Compass: (2.63,-1.44)
Delegate of the Conservative Coalition
Ambassador Franklin Tanner
ლ(゚д゚ლ)
Daynor

Zemnaya Svoboda
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 06, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Zemnaya Svoboda » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:22 pm

Numero Capitan wrote:Flems 60 day password idea is fairly good but I have another suggestion...

All founders can password their regions and delegates can only password the region with the support of the nation that has resided there longest. So a delegate would set a password and the nation there longest would been sent a telegram with an approve and a disapprove button for them to have the final say.

I don't think it's very reasonable to ask [violet] to implement something so radically different from how the game is structured.

Also, I don't think the nation longest residing should have much to do with it.

Getting rid of hidden password in general seems like an okay thing for me.

Todd McCloud
Senator

Founded: Oct 11, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Todd McCloud » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:42 am

I mean this without any bias. You are not a raider, nor an 'ally' of raiders. You're killing off targets and ruining their communities, thus destructing the game in your own way. In a way, you're an enemy of raiders.
"Your uniform doesn't seem to fit. You're much too alive in it."

"You must be the change you want to see in the world" - Gandhi
"The worst prison would be a closed heart." - Pope John Paul II

Dysian
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dysian » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:30 am

you can speculate about what I am all you want. I won't do it myself, because I find it pointless.

Words are not my plus side, I am a man of deeds. And deeds speak that I raid regions, regardless of how they end up.

Romanar
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 15, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Romanar » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:14 am

I divide raiders into 3 groups:

1. Raiders that go in, change to WFE, boast a bit and waggle their fingers (or other things ;) ) at the natives/defenders and leave.

2. Empire-builders. They try to conquer regions, but maybe not total destruction. One example would be a raider that allows the previous natives to return, maybe even let the old Delegate be the new Delegate, but with a raider Founder in charge. I don't know if this ever works in practice, since a lot of natives will be too pissed off to join their conquerors.

3. Region-Destroyers. Like the empire-builders, they empty out regions. Unlike Empire-builders, they don't even try to form communities. Sometimes they don't even refound. They just leave behind one-nation regions locked behind passwords. I equate that to dropping a nuke and leaving a radioactive wasteland.

Ellezelles
Secretary

Founded: Jun 14, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Ellezelles » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:23 am

Zemnaya Svoboda wrote:
Numero Capitan wrote:Flems 60 day password idea is fairly good but I have another suggestion...

All founders can password their regions and delegates can only password the region with the support of the nation that has resided there longest. So a delegate would set a password and the nation there longest would been sent a telegram with an approve and a disapprove button for them to have the final say.

I don't think it's very reasonable to ask [violet] to implement something so radically different from how the game is structured.

Also, I don't think the nation longest residing should have much to do with it.

Getting rid of hidden password in general seems like an okay thing for me.

influence was implemented

New Galcia
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 17, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby New Galcia » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:52 am

Question:

Can founderless regions apply to admin for a new founder?

If not.......why not?

Todd McCloud
Senator

Postby Todd McCloud » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:58 am

New Galcia wrote:Question:

Can founderless regions apply to admin for a new founder?

If not.......why not?

This is... an interesting idea. Belgium never *did* pick a founder, so they're still game, right?

???

West-Flanders
Diplomat

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby West-Flanders » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:17 am

Excellent question, I've been wondering about this for a few weeks now as well.. though Max doesn't return my calls :meh:
Last edited by West-Flanders on Sun Dec 31, 9999 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Veilyonia
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Veilyonia » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:30 pm

West-Flanders wrote:Excellent question, I've been wondering about this for a few weeks now as well.. though Max doesn't return my calls :meh:

That's unfortunate. I rather like the idea, and I think it could definitely work if implemented properly. Of course there would have to be parameters, but its about time defenders had an update that actually helped them out *gasp*.
Previously known as Veilyonia
Political Compass
"An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind" -Gandhi

Daynor
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 25, 2008
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Daynor » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:37 pm

Even if they could, wouldn't the raiders get to decide who the new founder was seeing as they control the region now?

I think I was around when they were starting to impliment founders, but was banned (sorry) before it ever was, and came back a little while later... So I am not 100% sure how they let regions decide that...
Last edited by Daynor on Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Young Libertarian Conservative
Political Compass: (2.63,-1.44)
Delegate of the Conservative Coalition
Ambassador Franklin Tanner
ლ(゚д゚ლ)
Daynor

Dysian
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Dysian » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:28 am

Daynor wrote:Even if they could, wouldn't the raiders get to decide who the new founder was seeing as they control the region now?

Probably true, if they control it. And if it hasn't been taken by raiders, natives can always use the SIMPLE refound technique, instead of bothering the admins with things they can do themselves.

They're working for you for free guys, give them a break for goodness sake.

West-Flanders
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby West-Flanders » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:25 am

Daynor wrote:Even if they could, wouldn't the raiders get to decide who the new founder was seeing as they control the region now?

I think I was around when they were starting to impliment founders, but was banned (sorry) before it ever was, and came back a little while later... So I am not 100% sure how they let regions decide that...

Founders were implemented somewhere in 2003 I believe. Was there ever a big founder-implementation were you could apply for a founder, because I can't remember anything about that (it could also be because it happened earlier on as I joined in june '03, or that our region wasn't aware of it at that time).
Though I remember the mods appointed founders in some user-created regions later on.. Though however rarely those cases, they always happened because of good reasons.. in other words, in cases when a region was griefed... so mods intervened, created a founder so native inhabitants could get back on their feet again. We are being griefed, it's a slow griefing, but a griefing nonetheless.. PLEASE help!

Dysian wrote:Probably true, if they control it. And if it hasn't been taken by raiders, natives can always use the SIMPLE refound technique, instead of bothering the admins with things they can do themselves.

They're working for you for free guys, give them a break for goodness sake.

It's not a simple technique. OK, it's doable, but it's not easy, although it's become easier then before the implementation of influence. But for people to move out of a region, and try to 'hawk' your own region, hoping there won't be some punk trying to steal it (like.. uh.. the Macedonian) by refounding it quicker then you,.. Quite a lot of trouble, I'ld say.
Last edited by West-Flanders on Sun Dec 31, 9999 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Numero Capitan
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 27, 2007
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Numero Capitan » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:11 am

Its hardly a substantial criticism to put down ideas on the basis that we shouldn't expect the moderators to spend the time implementing them. There have been numerous suggestions about how to prevent situations like this and I believe that the moderators are open to suggestions.

Currently the longest residing nation(s) has a lot to do with it because of influence which was implemented to protect these nations that have resided the longest. This has apparently not worked universally as France and Belgium show.
Minister of Defense, 00000 A World Power
Minister of Intelligence, FRA
Potato General
Senator and Attorney General, Europeia
Minister of Security and Minister of Justice, The South Pacific
Minister of War, Fidelia
Royal Council, The Last Kingdom
Crown Prince, Unknown and The Brotherhood of Blood
Delegate, REDACTED
REDACTED and REDACTED, REDACTED
REDACTED, REDACTED REDACTED
REDACTED, dont be nosey

Wallonia-Flanders
Civilian

Founded: Jun 21, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Wallonia-Flanders » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:00 am

Numero Capitan wrote:Currently the longest residing nation(s) has a lot to do with it because of influence which was implemented to protect these nations that have resided the longest. This has apparently not worked universally as France and Belgium show.

actually, it has. I still can't kick them from their region.

West-Flanders
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby West-Flanders » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:25 pm

Wallonia-Flanders wrote:
Numero Capitan wrote:Currently the longest residing nation(s) has a lot to do with it because of influence which was implemented to protect these nations that have resided the longest. This has apparently not worked universally as France and Belgium show.

actually, it has. I still can't kick them from their region.

That's just a matter of time. You have more endo's, so you'll gain infuence a bit quicker then us natives.. and you already said you won't leave untill you've kicked us out, wether it takes months or years.

Pretty boring if you ask me, why don't you give up?
Last edited by West-Flanders on Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dysian
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Dysian » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:01 am

of my badness WF, where is your fighting spirit?
You should say: ha ha, you will soon lose your endos and we will finally take our region back!

come on, dont give up :D :D :D

Todd McCloud
Senator

Postby Todd McCloud » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:59 pm

Dysian wrote:of my badness WF, where is your fighting spirit?
You should say: ha ha, you will soon lose your endos and we will finally take our region back!

come on, dont give up :D :D :D

Well, you can keep doing that, I suppose. But, I'll make sure to railroad whatever you do from here on out, and prevent you from advancing further in the game, especially if you should choose to opt out of the raider game. Then again, I'm a former raider too, so I can work a little magic there too. In short, consider Belgium your tomb.

However, should you step out of Belgium, I will do what is necessary to assist you in future endeavors, what I can, of course. I will even work to repeal the condemnation, of which I *know* your region doesn't like (you can't convince me against that, I've known Kiko longer than you have).

Again, not telling you what to do, I'm just telling you what I will do.
Last edited by Todd McCloud on Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dysian
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Dysian » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:41 am

I wont change my ways. And I know you wont do everything to make my game bitter, because that would imply that you become occupied with me. And I know even you won't fall that low (it would be cool though, to know that someone like Todd McCloud is obsessed with me).

I can tell you one thing: I will NOT stop raiding...
(if I were an offending hater, I'd add: "... unlike SOMEONE" to the upper phrase. but I'm really not that, I try to keep it fair with everyone)

Todd McCloud
Senator

Postby Todd McCloud » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:08 am

Dysian wrote:I wont change my ways. And I know you wont do everything to make my game bitter, because that would imply that you become occupied with me. And I know even you won't fall that low (it would be cool though, to know that someone like Todd McCloud is obsessed with me).

(if I were an offending hater, I'd add: "... unlike SOMEONE" to the upper phrase. but I'm really not that, I try to keep it fair with everyone)

Don't flatter yourself. And trust me, it'll be backburner work, but fun work.

But also, please don't call yourself a raider. Destroying raider targets makes you less of a raider, and sitting in a region when you could be raiding other targets makes you a quitter. I don't take comfort that I'm still more of a raider than you at this time, even in the current situation, but I do take comfort that, while you glibly proclaim yourself as a raider, various raiders have stepped up either publically or privately to say, 'No, what they did / are doing isn't raiding. We tend to label that as empire building and cowardice.' To be honest, that shocked me the most - I didn't believe in any raider code prior to this, but I've begun to realize most of the skilled raiders and older raiders adhere to this unwritten code, if only slightly. Oh sure, you may "try" to "raid" again, but all those regions you seem to like - the nation regions - are shrinking. A database has been compiled of such regions, and it is updated very frequently. In short, that contest has just become that much more difficult.

Anyone can password a region and sit in there for a year. There's zero skill in that. And, judging by your banning pattern, even a retired raider like me can see that you're doing it wrong. Your banning pattern is inefficient and awkward. If anyone other than yourself is running the show on who is banned and who isn't, I'd love to know who, it would amuse me. In short, this all tells me that this is such a weak "raider" or "raid" that you need a password to hide it. Heck, I didn't password SFBA until the very end, and defenders were all over that one, which made it... fun, actually. I think that, and the fact that you're killing a fairly neutral target, is the brunt of most raiders' anger and disappointment.

So please, don't try to flatter yourself. This is, after all, but a game. And the events here have both disappointed me and made me laugh.

Dysian
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Dysian » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:40 am

Dysian wrote:you can speculate about what I am all you want. I won't do it myself, because I find it pointless.

Words are not my plus side, I am a man of deeds. And deeds speak that I raid regions, regardless of how they end up.

Northern Chittowa
Envoy

Founded: Mar 03, 2005
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Northern Chittowa » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:41 pm

Dysian wrote:I wont change my ways. And I know you wont do everything to make my game bitter, because that would imply that you become occupied with me. And I know even you won't fall that low (it would be cool though, to know that someone like Todd McCloud is obsessed with me).

But you are an offending hater as you actually said it...It doesn't matter how you dressed it up, you still said it ;)

You say your a man of deeds, yet your deeds make you look like a coward, afraid of actually playing the invader/defender game on a level which is fair and which is challenging. It's your choice of course, but this is hardly winning you prestige or favour with invader, neutrals or indeed defenders. If you look at those who have made names for themselves in this game, they are those who have stood up to defenders on an equal footin and actually beaten them on a tactical level...Those are the ones who will be remembered and indeed revered in history, unlike you who will no doubt be forgotten once this current level of interest dies down...

Dysian
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Dysian » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:33 am

Northern Chittowa wrote:... afraid of actually playing the invader/defender game on a level which is fair and which is challenging.

I have found out (the hard way) that when you give weaker people even the slightest of handicap, you end up losing the battle. Sure I like the challenge, but not at the cost of losing the region I worked so hard to gain.

It's all just a game, I know, but that doesn't stop me from playing it as good as I can. When I can pwn your region, I pwn it without any doubts and regret, and as professional as the gameplay allows.
And it allowed me to put up a password right away :P
(I even delayed it for a day in case you care)

Goobergunchia
Game Moderator

Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Goobergunchia » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:05 am

Liberation proposals are now legal. Let the games begin!
(+5175 posts from mostly pre-Jolt)
Making NationStates a different place since 17 May 2003.
ADN Advisor (Ret.)
Nasicournian Officer
Citizen of the Rejected Realms
Discord: Goobergunch#2417
Ideological Bulwark #16
Sponsor, HR#22, SC#4
Rules: GA SC
NS Game Moderator
For your forum moderation needs: The Moderation Forum
For your in-game moderation needs: The Getting Help Page
What are the rules? See the OSRS.
Who are the mods, anyway?