NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Uranium Mining Standards Act

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Abacathea
Minister

Founded: Nov 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Abacathea » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:22 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:
Discoveria wrote:We know that uranium milling and refining does create health risks for communities in the vicinity (there is a Spanish study here on it).

"To ascertain solid tumor mortality in towns near Spain's four nuclear power plants and four nuclear fuel facilities from 1975 to 1993, we conducted a mortality study based on 12,245 cancer deaths in 283 towns situated within a 30-km radius of the above installations."

As I have said, enriched uranium is hazardous to human health.

Clauses (i) and (ii) deal with mines; they deal with uranium ore, which is not radiologically dangerous.

Neither clause i or ii mention ore at all. They refer to the mine itself. Not sure where you found your soapbox CD but it really is time to hand it back.
G.A #236; Renewable Energy Installations (Repealed)
G.A #239; Vehicle Emissions Convention (Repealed).
G.A #257; Reducing Automobile Emissions (Repealed).
G.A #263; Uranium Mining Standards Act
G.A #279; Right of Emigration
G.A #292; Nuclear Security Convention
(Co-Author)
G.A #363; Preservation of Artefacts (repealed)
S.C #118; Commend SkyDip
S.C #120; Commend Mousebumples
S.C #122; Condemn Gest
S.C #124; Commend Bears Armed
S.C #125; Commend The Bruce
S.C #126; Commend Sanctaria
S.C #131: Commend NewTexas
(Co-Author)
S.C #136; Repeal "Liberate St Abbaddon" (Co-Author)
S.C #143; Commend Hobbesistan
S.C #146; Repeal "Liberate Hogwarts"

Omigodtheyclonedkenny
Secretary

Founded: Jan 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Omigodtheyclonedkenny » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:36 pm

Chester Pearson wrote:On a side note, since Christian Democrats and those vile little Kennyites are against it, we are voting for it, out of spite.

Whichever political think-tank you've got conducting research for you, I'd demand my money back. :roll:

For the record, those "vile little Kennyites" you speak of (and a perfectly apt description it is) have foolishly invested their WA vote in us -- for whatever reason we don't know -- and we are currently willed to support this act. At first it was because we are not at all averse to making all those big bad nuclear powers (including that detestable nation we recently liberated ourselves from) more accountable for the incredible danger they daily subject the world and its fragile environment to, but now we're more inclined to do so just so we can shove our "yes" vote in your fat faces. Therefore:

Omigodtheyclonedkenny's vote for Uranium Mining Standards Act has been noted.

Have a nice day. :)

Lun Noir
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 19, 2004
Father Knows Best State

Postby Lun Noir » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:39 pm

We were initially going to cast a vote in favor of this in the interest of workplace safety for miners, after hearing the deliberation on this act, that stance has changed. In particular, the point brought up by the esteemed representative of Discoveria has brought to light the redundant nature of this resolution. GAR #7 is in alignment with Lun Noir's expectations of worker's protection already, and covers a broader scope. Some points that others have made also do convincingly diminish the effectiveness of the environmental protections this resolution may have offered.

We must therefore vote nay.

However, we would be strongly supportive of a resolution which was broadened to require the documentation of any environmental impacts of any and all mining activity, as well as establishing an agency to help conduct those studies and make recommendations on minimizing environmental damage.

WallaWakkaWalla
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby WallaWakkaWalla » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:59 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:Anything warmer than 0 K emits radiation.

I'm going to ask for the indulgence of the GA for a moment to relay a short, but relevant story. When I was a young child, I was told that drugs were bad. I was then told that Caffeine is a drug. Therefore, based on the logic presented, I believed that Caffeine is bad, and proceeded to destroy my dad's coffee machine in order to save him. Obviously, this was an gross over-simplification of the logic. That was the story, now for the relevancy. Using CD's quote, and working from the thought, I won't use fact here otherwise I'll be giving away my whole point, that radiation is bad.

IF Radiation is bad;
and IF Anything warmer then 0 K emits radiation;
THEN Anything warmer then 0 K is bad;
THEREFORE we should all kill ourselves because we are obviously bad bad things because we are over 300 K at normal operating temperature, thus we must be putting out a lot of radiation.

Now with that indulgence out of the way, to the real matter at hand. W3 is voting YEA on this resolution, as we have recently found a large uranium deposit within out borders and otherwise have no laws concerning safety and extraction beyond mining in general, thus this gives us a framework to work from.
*Ambassador Eric Wayview, Designated Representative of W3 to the World Assembly*

Abacathea
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Abacathea » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:14 pm

Lun Noir wrote:We were initially going to cast a vote in favor of this in the interest of workplace safety for miners, after hearing the deliberation on this act, that stance has changed. In particular, the point brought up by the esteemed representative of Discoveria has brought to light the redundant nature of this resolution. GAR #7 is in alignment with Lun Noir's expectations of worker's protection already, and covers a broader scope. Some points that others have made also do convincingly diminish the effectiveness of the environmental protections this resolution may have offered.

However, we would be strongly supportive of a resolution which was broadened to require the documentation of any environmental impacts of any and all mining activity, as well as establishing an agency to help conduct those studies and make recommendations on minimizing environmental damage.

With exception of this being broad to cover ALL mining operations that's exactly what this resolution does. I'm not entirely sure what part of it has misled you to otherwise short of the apparent constant steam rolling this into a radioactive pigeon hole which it shouldn't be in.
(Co-Author)
S.C #118; Commend SkyDip
S.C #122; Condemn Gest
(Co-Author)

Retired WerePenguins
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 26, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Retired WerePenguins » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:50 pm

WallaWakkaWalla wrote:IF Radiation is bad;
THEREFORE we should all kill ourselves because we are obviously bad bad things because we are over 300 K at normal operating temperature, thus we must be putting out a lot of radiation.

I don't want to spoil an other perfectly stupid argument over the term "radiation" but I would like to point out that a perfect "white body" (the exact opposite of a black body) will not emit radiation no matter what its temperature. It also doesn't absorb any radiation. Touching such a body is probably not a good idea because it certainly can conduct heat towards anything that contacts it. Since a white body can neither absorb or emit radiation it "looks" like a perfect mirror.
Totally Naked
Tourist Eating
WA NS
___"That's the one thing I like about the WA; it allows me to shove my moral compass up your legislative branch, assuming a majority agrees." James Blonde
___"Even so, I see nothing in WA policy that requires that the resolution have a concrete basis in fact," Minister from Frenequesta
___"There are some things worse than death. I believe being Canadian Prime Minister is one of them." Brother Maynard.

Airandia
Secretary

Founded: Apr 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Airandia » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:40 pm

iv: Instructs nations who discover flora or fauna indigenous solely to the potential mine site to make documented efforts to relocate either the mine, or the relevant species to ensure that the species suffer as little impact as possible.

This article is a bit incoherent. Is almost impossible to relocate a mine, since the minerals are place-fixed resources. The WA can not force a nation to abandon the exploitation of an uraninun mine, because this is potentially dangerous for the economy of some countries, and even the world disponibility of uranium; threatening the energy production. Airandia itself is a great productor of refined and enriched uranium for pacifical uses, and here the goverment and the companies are highly engaged with the environmental protection.
The government of Airandia think that this point needs to be modified. If "indigenous" flora or fauna is discovered nearby an uraniun mine, the WA only can urge the country and the working companies to develop and perform sure extraction operations, with low impact on this biodiversity.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:51 pm

Abacathea wrote:
Christian Democrats wrote:"To ascertain solid tumor mortality in towns near Spain's four nuclear power plants and four nuclear fuel facilities from 1975 to 1993, we conducted a mortality study based on 12,245 cancer deaths in 283 towns situated within a 30-km radius of the above installations."

As I have said, enriched uranium is hazardous to human health.

Clauses (i) and (ii) deal with mines; they deal with uranium ore, which is not radiologically dangerous.

Neither clause i or ii mention ore at all. They refer to the mine itself.

Yes, ore is in mines. Enriched uranium, which is actually dangerous, is not found in nature.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

The Most Glorious Hack
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 11, 2003
Anarchy

Postby The Most Glorious Hack » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:08 am

Araraukar wrote:whereas oxygen is only considered toxic to anaerobic ones.

It'll kill you too in high enough concentrations.
Now the stars they are all angled wrong,
And the sun and the moon refuse to burn.
But I remember a message,
In a demon's hand:
"Dread the passage of Jesus, for he does not return."

-Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, "Time Jesum Transeuntum Et Non Riverentum"

WallaWakkaWalla
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby WallaWakkaWalla » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:10 am

Retired WerePenguins wrote:
WallaWakkaWalla wrote:IF Radiation is bad;

I don't want to spoil an other perfectly stupid argument over the term "radiation" but I would like to point out that a perfect "white body" (the exact opposite of a black body) will not emit radiation no matter what its temperature. It also doesn't absorb any radiation. Touching such a body is probably not a good idea because it certainly can conduct heat towards anything that contacts it. Since a white body can neither absorb or emit radiation it "looks" like a perfect mirror.

Actually I was trying to make the point that trying to oversimplify something like radiation is stupid, by taking said oversimplification to a logical conclusion. Hence the explanatory story before it.
*Ambassador Eric Wayview, Designated Representative of W3 to the World Assembly*

Retired WerePenguins
Diplomat

Postby Retired WerePenguins » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:40 am

WallaWakkaWalla wrote:Actually I was trying to make the point that trying to oversimplify something like radiation is stupid, by taking said oversimplification to a logical conclusion. Hence the explanatory story before it.

And I was trying to avoid the point that you are being "stupid." I double checked the resolution and the only place it comes up is in the term "basic radiation precautions" (clause i). Now we can go on forever how the term "radiation" is an overloaded word. We can also go on about the current word limitation in resolutions. Given that limitation and the context, it is clear that we are talking about particle radiation resulting from nuclear decay and not black body radiation. I should also point out that clause v deals with contamination, not radiation.
Totally Naked
Tourist Eating
WA NS
___"That's the one thing I like about the WA; it allows me to shove my moral compass up your legislative branch, assuming a majority agrees." James Blonde
___"Even so, I see nothing in WA policy that requires that the resolution have a concrete basis in fact," Minister from Frenequesta
___"There are some things worse than death. I believe being Canadian Prime Minister is one of them." Brother Maynard.

Lun Noir
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 19, 2004
Father Knows Best State

Postby Lun Noir » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:40 am

Abacathea wrote:
Lun Noir wrote:We were initially going to cast a vote in favor of this in the interest of workplace safety for miners, after hearing the deliberation on this act, that stance has changed. In particular, the point brought up by the esteemed representative of Discoveria has brought to light the redundant nature of this resolution. GAR #7 is in alignment with Lun Noir's expectations of worker's protection already, and covers a broader scope. Some points that others have made also do convincingly diminish the effectiveness of the environmental protections this resolution may have offered.

With exception of this being broad to cover ALL mining operations that's exactly what this resolution does. I'm not entirely sure what part of it has misled you to otherwise short of the apparent constant steam rolling this into a radioactive pigeon hole which it shouldn't be in.

In further reviewing, the only true objection we have is the redundancy with GAR 7. While this does not necessarily mean more rules, it will just likely result in a duplication of forms and inspections that we will need to go through in our uranium mining operations.

However, the inroads to documenting the impacts of the mine are something we are interested in.

That said, we are actually going to abstain from this vote and, should it fail to pass, would eagerly look for a slightly reworded resolution covering all mines and without the redundant provisions for worker's safety.

The Akashic Records
Diplomat

Founded: May 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Akashic Records » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:03 am

Lun Noir wrote:In further reviewing, the only true objection we have is the redundancy with GAR 7. While this does not necessarily mean more rules, it will just likely result in a duplication of forms and inspections that we will need to go through in our uranium mining operations.

However, the inroads to documenting the impacts of the mine are something we are interested in.

That said, we are actually going to abstain from this vote and, should it fail to pass, would eagerly look for a slightly reworded resolution covering all mines and without the redundant provisions for worker's safety.

To be frank, there's a reason that only Uranium Mining could be affected, despite the fact that an All Business proposal being able to affect all mining, as it would also be affecting irrelevant things such as the Basket-weaving industry, or the Book publishing industry, to name a few.

Partial duplication, I think, should be okay, since I've seen quite a number of precedents when it comes to Human Rights and The Charter of Civil Rights.

An environmental resolution should do just that; focus on the environmental aspect of the business, not what other side effects it might have, if it demands a 10 000 character resolution. As far as I read it, there's nothing saying that nations can't be more strict in their implementation of the law.
About my posts:
Unless otherwise stated, everything I say is in character.
Coleman T. Harrison,
WA Ambassador for The Akashic Records
On Sanity - Minds are like parachutes. Just because you've lost yours doesn't mean you can borrow mine.
No, the idea behind it (free will) is that one has the option to be Good (tm) and the option to be Bad (tm). God is rather pro-choice. - The Alma Mater -

Abacathea
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Abacathea » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:50 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:
Abacathea wrote:Neither clause i or ii mention ore at all. They refer to the mine itself.

Yes, ore is in mines. Enriched uranium, which is actually dangerous, is not found in nature.

Again I don't see the word ore....
Yikes CD this obsession with radioactivity on your part...
I'm sure you'd just love this.
(Co-Author)
S.C #118; Commend SkyDip
S.C #122; Condemn Gest
(Co-Author)

Midwestren America
Political Columnist

Founded: May 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Midwestren America » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:10 pm

I WILL NOT COMPLE WITH THIS PROPOSAL

Midwestren America
Political Columnist

Founded: May 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Midwestren America » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:20 pm

IF THIS LAW PASSES I SHALLE DO EVERYTHING I CAN TO DESTROY THIS CORRUPT WA. :twisted: :mad:

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:45 pm

Midwestren America wrote:I WILL NOT COMPLE WITH THIS PROPOSAL

If you are a member of the World Assembly, you are forced to comply with this resolution. The gnomes rewrite your laws to force your nation into compliance. There is no way to avoid this. If you don't like the way the World Assembly works, you are welcome to resign.

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Abacathea
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Abacathea » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:02 pm

Separatist Peoples wrote:

If you are a member of the World Assembly, you are forced to comply with this resolution. The gnomes rewrite your laws to force your nation into compliance. There is no way to avoid this. If you don't like the way the World Assembly works, you are welcome to resign.

I should hope it's the gnomes that rewrite their laws, I hate to think how they'd look otherwise...
(Co-Author)
S.C #118; Commend SkyDip
S.C #122; Condemn Gest
(Co-Author)

The Dourian Embassy
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 15, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dourian Embassy » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:26 pm

Uranium mining is incredibly detrimental to the health of the workers exposed to it. There are approximately 25 different diseases almost exclusively associated with uranium mining. I would've been happier with this resolution if it assigned some responsibilities for non-active mines as well, but as it doesn't bar such in future legislation, I'm alright with it as-is.

And as the author of WA# 7, I'm not particularly bothered by the light duplication present here. 7 was an omnibus of sorts, and has a clause specifically allowing further restrictions if the WA determines it is needed.
Last edited by The Dourian Embassy on Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Treize Dreizehn, President of Douria.

cause ain't no such things as halfway crooks

Retired WerePenguins
Diplomat

Postby Retired WerePenguins » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:44 pm

I don't know what comple is, but I don't think I want to do it with this proposal either. It sounds kind of gross, actually.
Totally Naked
Tourist Eating
WA NS

The Eternal Kawaii
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 21, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Eternal Kawaii » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:21 pm

Abacathea wrote:
Christian Democrats wrote:Yes, ore is in mines. Enriched uranium, which is actually dangerous, is not found in nature.

Again I don't see the word ore....
Yikes CD this obsession with radioactivity on your part...
I'm sure you'd just love this.

In the Name of the Eternal Kawaii, may the Cute One be praised

The ambassador from Christian Democrats is engaging in hyperbole, but they do raise a good point: uranium ore in its raw, mined form poses little radiological danger. It isn't until the ore is processed, refined, and the uranium in it concentrated that its radiation becomes a hazard.

That said, uranium doesn't pose just a radiation hazard. It is a heavy metal, and toxic even without accounting for its radioactivity. The standards laid forth in this proposal would be good practice for any heavy metal extraction process.
Learn More about The Eternal Kawaii from our Factbook!

"Aside from being illegal, it's not like Max Barry Day was that bad of a resolution." -- Glen Rhodes
"as a member of the GA elite, I don't have to take this" -- Vancouvia

Karpathos
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Karpathos » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:51 pm

Against. NatSov stuff.
Honor Guard to Black adder's cunning plan
The Emmanuel Goldstein of Osiris
Veteran of The Great Patriotic War & the ADN proxy wars
Last Native of Greece
Foremer RLA Red Guard
Former head if he USSR KGB
Forner member of SECO
Froner Lt. in The DEN
[spoiler]So long as there is imperialism in the world, a permanent peace is impossible.
[/spoiler]
Aperi is Aperi.

WallaWakkaWalla
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby WallaWakkaWalla » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:21 pm

Karpathos wrote:Against. NatSov stuff.

Then my suggestion for you is to leave the WA, because eventually, EVERYTHING here can be argued down as NatSov.

United Federation of Canada
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby United Federation of Canada » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:24 pm

Omigodtheyclonedkenny wrote:
Chester Pearson wrote:On a side note, since Christian Democrats and those vile little Kennyites are against it, we are voting for it, out of spite.

Whichever political think-tank you've got conducting research for you, I'd demand my money back. :roll:

For the record, those "vile little Kennyites" you speak of (and a perfectly apt description it is) have foolishly invested their WA vote in us -- for whatever reason we don't know -- and we are currently willed to support this act. At first it was because we are not at all averse to making all those big bad nuclear powers (including that detestable nation we recently liberated ourselves from) more accountable for the incredible danger they daily subject the world and its fragile environment to, but now we're more inclined to do so just so we can shove our "yes" vote in your fat faces. Therefore:

Omigodtheyclonedkenny's vote for Uranium Mining Standards Act has been noted.

Have a nice day. :)

Somehow I am willing to be the Conglomerate that secretly runs your nation, may have something to say about this.

Karpathos
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Karpathos » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:32 am

WallaWakkaWalla wrote:
Karpathos wrote:Against. NatSov stuff.

Then my suggestion for you is to leave the WA, because eventually, EVERYTHING here can be argued down as NatSov.

I need my wa for infiltration and stuff.
Honor Guard to Black adder's cunning plan
The Emmanuel Goldstein of Osiris
Veteran of The Great Patriotic War & the ADN proxy wars
Last Native of Greece
Foremer RLA Red Guard
Former head if he USSR KGB
Forner member of SECO
Froner Lt. in The DEN
[spoiler]So long as there is imperialism in the world, a permanent peace is impossible.
[/spoiler]
Aperi is Aperi.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives