NATION

PASSWORD

Those donuts are racist!

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:26 pm

The North Polish Union wrote:
Dakini wrote:What.

They did pull the ad of their own accord. Did you just read the OP which presented this ad as a "dark skinned person" and skip to the end of the thread or...?

Having read the whole OP before posting in the thread and having just re-read it after seeing your post, I got the impression that Dunkin' Donuts Thailand HQ was essentially coerced by Western groups into removing an ad that no one in Thailand viewed as offensive. That is not "pulling the ad of their own accord."

Right. So, like I said, you just read the OP which was full of shit (as I pointed out, the OP also claimed the ad featured a dark skinned person when it does not).

...I wasn't comparing to post-reconstruction era. If anything, the roots of blackface and minstrel shows are in slavery which involved abduction, cultural genocide, forced work and extensive abuse. Followed, of course, by widespread discrimination which persists to this day.

I'm still not quite seeing that as quite equal to the actions of Nazi Germany. Point taken however.
But you know, thanks for trying to pretend you know what I'm talking about.

Oh gee, you're welcome.

Maybe you could try reading something other than the OP and last posts of a thread. Especially when the OP is by Hippo, who has this habit of misrepresenting the facts in order to blame liberals for everything.

Then perhaps you'll know what other people are arguing instead of inserting your opinion of what you think they're arguing.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jun 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:41 pm

Regnum Dominae wrote:Hippo,

You have said in the past that the sole responsibility of a business is to generate profit:

Hippostania wrote:
Yes it is. Everything else is secondary.

And that's exactly what this business was doing. Consumers complained, and the company responded by doing what the consumers asked of them. If they had ignored the consumers, their bottom line would have suffered, and the company would have failed to generate maximum profit for its shareholders. To ignore the demands of these consumers would have been a blatantly anti-profit move, and you know it.

Stop being so hypocritical - or, should I say, hippocritical, and stop ignoring your own principles when it suits your "EVIL AMERICA-HATING LIBERALS" narrative.

But that's just the commie's two cents.

Hippo? Hippo ain't been seen in these parts for ages, no sir. Just founded the thread, then disappeared for good. We sent out search parties, but all they could find was an American flag lapel, a tear-stained copy of Atlas Shrugged, and a pair of boxer briefs with a bald eagle silk screened across the crotch. However, they say on some nights, when the moon is full and the wind blows in from the west, you can hear the faint strains of "God Bless America" sung in a Finnish accent.

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:44 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

You have said in the past that the sole responsibility of a business is to generate profit:

And that's exactly what this business was doing. Consumers complained, and the company responded by doing what the consumers asked of them. If they had ignored the consumers, their bottom line would have suffered, and the company would have failed to generate maximum profit for its shareholders. To ignore the demands of these consumers would have been a blatantly anti-profit move, and you know it.

Stop being so hypocritical - or, should I say, hippocritical, and stop ignoring your own principles when it suits your "EVIL AMERICA-HATING LIBERALS" narrative.

Hippo? Hippo ain't been seen in these parts for ages, no sir. Just founded the thread, then disappeared for good. We sent out search parties, but all they could find was an American flag lapel, a tear-stained copy of Atlas Shrugged, and a pair of boxer briefs with a bald eagle silk screened across the crotch. However, they say on some nights, when the moon is full and the wind blows in from the west, you can hear the faint strains of "God Bless America" sung in a Finnish accent.

Oh, no, he did make three other posts on the first page.

Then he disappeared to chat on other threads because why bother sticking around to respond to people who are pointing out that his OP is misleading and inconsistent with his past positions when he can just go somewhere else.
Last edited by Dakini on Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:45 pm

Dakini wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

Oh, no, he did make three other posts on the first page.

Then he disappeared.

I seen 'em, but I suspect they're echoes of a man who no longer exists.

The Grey Wolf
Post Czar

Founded: May 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Grey Wolf » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:10 pm

The Tiger Kingdom wrote:
The Grey Wolf wrote:
^ Dang, we agree again.

All right, same follow-up then:

The Tiger Kingdom wrote:But you are aware of the historically explicit use of that sort of "blackface" imagery (which is essentially charcoal-colored, as you pointed out) to portray people of African descent, right? That's not new to you?

Yeah, but that wasn't blackface, and any blacks who get offended should really learn to get rid of that self entitlement issue they have.

Cu Math
Senator

Founded: Mar 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cu Math » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:17 pm

The Grey Wolf wrote:
The Tiger Kingdom wrote:All right, same follow-up then:

Yeah, but that wasn't blackface, and any blacks/Jews/japanese who get offended by the historical disenfranchisement and racist ad/final solution/internment camps should really learn to get rid of that self entitlement issue they have.

Fixed.
Those who are not willing to support us are second-rate nations, but first-rate main courses.
Ph'nglui Mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
From the Council of Terrible Elders
Distributor of Potato Medals
Acolyte of the NSG Sodomy Club
Requiescat In Pacem, Dyakovo. You were the best of us
Ordained Dudeist Priest
Divair's Big Guide to Proving Evolution
Atheist, Bisexual and Bagpiper
Palestinian-Scottish-American

The One And Only Duke Of The Potato

The Grey Wolf
Post Czar

Founded: May 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Grey Wolf » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:19 pm

Cu Math wrote:
The Grey Wolf wrote:
Yeah, but that wasn't blackface, and any blacks/Jews/japanese who get offended by the historical disenfranchisement and racist ad/final solution/internment camps should really learn to get rid of that self entitlement issue they have.

Fixed.

This has nothing to do with concentration camps. It has to do with (white) liberals getting offended for black people over something nobody even cares about.

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:20 pm

The Grey Wolf wrote:
Cu Math wrote:Fixed.

This has nothing to do with concentration camps. It has to do with (white) liberals getting offended for black people over something nobody even cares about.

Are you certain that it was only white liberals getting offended?

Warda
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Warda » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:20 pm

Blakk Metal wrote:Black face was a thing in Siam? :blink:

why are we calling body paint black face
Nation Described As
Las Palmeras wrote:Decent enough for the Middle East.

Christmahanikwanzikah
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 24, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Christmahanikwanzikah » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:22 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:
The Grey Wolf wrote:

Are you certain that it was only white liberals getting offended?

I'm a white conservative, and though I'm not offended, I can see clearly why this is offensive.

My name is Christmahanikwanzikah, and I approve this Anecdote.

Cu Math
Senator

Founded: Mar 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cu Math » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:24 pm

The Grey Wolf wrote:
Cu Math wrote:Fixed.

I'm an Arab liberal, and I'm offended. Frankly, If I started advertising used cars in an SS uniform or dressed like Mickey Rooney in Breakfast at Tiffany's to sell insurance, they'd run me out on a rail.
Those who are not willing to support us are second-rate nations, but first-rate main courses.
Ph'nglui Mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
From the Council of Terrible Elders
Distributor of Potato Medals
Acolyte of the NSG Sodomy Club
Requiescat In Pacem, Dyakovo. You were the best of us
Ordained Dudeist Priest
Divair's Big Guide to Proving Evolution
Atheist, Bisexual and Bagpiper
Palestinian-Scottish-American

The One And Only Duke Of The Potato

Christmahanikwanzikah
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Christmahanikwanzikah » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:26 pm

Warda wrote:

why are we calling body paint black face

Because it was used to cover the face and body in a color mimicking that of the donut they were selling.

The genius idea of, "'What're we going to do to sell this new donut?' 'I know, let's use a black actor!'" itself would be bad enough.

Warda
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Warda » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:28 pm

Christmahanikwanzikah wrote:
Warda wrote:why are we calling body paint black face

Because it was used to cover the face and body in a color mimicking that of the donut they were selling.

The genius idea of, "'What're we going to do to sell this new donut?' 'I know, let's use a black actor!'" itself would be bad enough.

black·face

/ˈblakˌfās/

noun

noun: black-face

the makeup used by a nonblack performer playing a black role. The role played is typically comedic or musical and usually is considered offensive.

"he appeared in blackface"

used to imply patronization of blacks by whites or by institutions perceived to be insincerely or ineffectively nonracist.

I guess donuts are black people now.
Nation Described As
Las Palmeras wrote:Decent enough for the Middle East.

Uelvan
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Uelvan » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:28 pm

I think the point of calling something blackface isn't exactly because someone is painted black. It's because they're painted black and act in a degrading manner directed at the black community... this is clearly just an art design, people are just looking for reasons to be offended here.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:32 pm

Uelvan wrote:I think the point of calling something blackface isn't exactly because someone is painted black. It's because they're painted black and act in a degrading manner directed at the black community... this is clearly just an art design, people are just looking for reasons to be offended here.

did you read the article?
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Regnum Dominae
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Regnum Dominae » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:32 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

:rofl:
I support peace in Israel and Palestine. The governments and people in power on all sides are an absolute disgrace, and their unwillingness to pursue peace is a disservice to the people they are meant to be serving. The status quo is not simply untenable; it is unquestionably unacceptable.

Uelvan
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Uelvan » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:34 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Uelvan wrote:I think the point of calling something blackface isn't exactly because someone is painted black. It's because they're painted black and act in a degrading manner directed at the black community... this is clearly just an art design, people are just looking for reasons to be offended here.

did you read the article?

I did.

Christmahanikwanzikah
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Christmahanikwanzikah » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:35 pm

Warda wrote:
Christmahanikwanzikah wrote:

black·face

/ˈblakˌfās/

noun

noun: black-face

the makeup used by a nonblack performer playing a black role. The role played is typically comedic or musical and usually is considered offensive.

"he appeared in blackface"

used to imply patronization of blacks by whites or by institutions perceived to be insincerely or ineffectively nonracist.

I guess donuts are black people now.

Clearly.

Wolfmanne
Senator

Founded: Mar 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Wolfmanne » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:39 pm

Blasveck wrote:I think you, Hippo, need to quit embarrassing yourself with "DA LIBRULS" bullshit.

It's fucking stupid as hell, and you need to get over the fact that other people think differently from you.

Now, whether or not this ad is racist really doesn't matter much to me. I don't care.

What matters is the bullshit that you spew nearly every time you post. Just stop.

Lol.

My view is that it's not racist, but Blasveck, I think you should be a bit more respectful of other people's opinions.
Cicero thinks I'm Rome's Helen of Troy and Octavian thinks he'll get his money, the stupid fools.

Galborg
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Galborg » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:14 pm

King and I: Tuptin directed a play, Uncle Tom's Cabin.

The actors playing black characters or white actors had makeup and masks.
The trouble with quotes on the Internet, is you can never be sure if they are real. - Mark Twain

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:21 pm

Dunkin donuts is American so if an American does something overseas that is racist it is ok right ?

Also Thailand has a lot of tourist from the west so there will be those who would be offended.

I mean this is how it broke down. Dunkin Thailand made an ad that would offend american racial sensibilities. Americans in Thailand inform Dunkin USA about the ad. Dunkin USA tells Dunkin Thailand to pull the ad. Nothing at all should be controversial or even worthy of discussion.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Aurora Novus
Senator

Founded: Jan 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Aurora Novus » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:43 am

I really don't see anything racist about this image at all, "blackface" be damned. That something was used in a particular manner in the past, does not mean all future events similar to it carry the same connotation.
Last edited by Aurora Novus on Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Electroconvulsive Glee
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 20, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Electroconvulsive Glee » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:35 am

Aurora Novus wrote:I really don't see anything racist about this image at all, "blackface" be damned. That something was used in a particular manner in the past, does not mean all future events similar to it carry the same connotation.

Of course not. I mean it is not like communication is based on images, symbols, or sounds that have been used in a particular manner in the past that helps us determine their meaning in the present. Instead, all communication begins tabula rasa.

Furthermore, ‡*honk*❧会:blink:wx2‱zed.
Some of the greatest satire ever, by my hero, Hammurab
  • Marcus Aurelius, The Meditations, Bk. XIII, No. LXIX: "They can all just fuck off. I'm sick of this shit and I'm going home."
  • Butthole Surfers: "I hate cough syrup, don't you?"
  • Socrates in Plato's Mentītus: "I can explain it to you, Dudious, but how can I understand it for you? Hmm?"

West Faristan2
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby West Faristan2 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:44 am

Nevanmaa wrote:
Slafstopia wrote:It's not so much that the woman was painted black - it's that her makeup imitated the theatrical traditional 'blackface' makeup from minstrel shows and such, which was used in the old days of segregation by white actors to make black people look goofy and below white people, with extremely dark faces and big, pink lips. This is, unfortunately, still rather common in eastern countries such as Thailand and Japan. Honestly, I'm a huge liberal and I wouldn't have minded it if she was charcoal black all-over. The pink lips, however, made it obviously an imitation of blackface.

I'm glad that the political correctness hasn't infiltrated most Asian nations yet. If you can't handle white people painted black, then boo hoo, learn to deal with it. The world doesn't revolve around a few sensitive people's feelings.

As I said, the combination of a very few basic colors and unique style make it a great ad from a marketing perspective. Had the woman been depicted without pink lips, the ad would've been much less eye-catching. The pink lips create sharp contrast between the dark skin and make it very noticeable.

From a marketing perspective, it's a great ad.

Stupid AND racist. You must make your mother so proud.
DLN refusing to help a poster be cause he disagreed with her in another thread:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=265690

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General