NATION

PASSWORD

Political conditions on Humantarian Aid just?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Is it just to give a political condition when giving humanitarian aid to a foreign country?

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes : 18

Atra Mors
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Political conditions on Humantarian Aid just?

Postby Atra Mors » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:12 am

Well, since there are a lot of places needing humantarian aid right now in the world. (like Somalia, Horn of Africa, or any place with a recent disaster) I was wondering whether putting political conditions for giving humanitarian aid in foreign countries are just. I believe that its good to give humanitarian aid, and if you can get something out of it, thats even better as long as it isn't to a greater disadvantage than the gain. Since technically, you are using your own resources that could have been used to benefit your own citizens. However, if the political conditions were very unfair to the other party, then I believe that we should give help freely, but limit the quantity of resources expended, since it will not go well if one helped another country, used up all their resources, and let their own country die.

So, in your country, do you consider giving humanitarian aid with a political condition just?
Do you consider it a good idea to use humanitarian aid as a political leverage? (morally and legally)
If not, why?

Feel free to extend arguements and discuss. :)
I promote anarchy. For better or worse, I honestly believe that an anarchist society is better than an ordered "eutopian" society since humans are flawed, eutopia can never be achieved, and anarchy makes things interesting.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:15 am

i dont know about just but when it seems only natural for politicians to hand over money with politics in mind.

NGOs on the other hand probably ought to try to keep politics out of it.
whatever

Agritum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Agritum » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:18 am

Regarding political conditions, I'd guess that humanitarian aid sould be administered by the NGO tthemselves, in case of a non-collaborative or corrupt government.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:23 am

The only condition that can ever be justified for offering someone aid is some sort of assurance that the resources you give will be used in the way they are intended to. Anything else is just blackmail and political extortion disguised as help.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

DesAnges
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 02, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby DesAnges » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:25 am

Well it depends, I guess.

If you say "We'll give you $20,000,000,000US a year if you make teh gayz illegal", then that's not exactly what I'd call, you know, good. If you say "We'll give you $20,000,000,000US a year if you take large steps to eradicate government corruption using this team of spanky new investigators we're also sending you" then that's a much fairer idea.

But ideally you'd want to politicise the process as little as possible. If you're going to give the money, give the money.

Unless you're Sepp Blatter. Then you can just do whatever the hell you want and no one will care.
Last edited by DesAnges on Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
My name is Kim-Jong Ayatollah, and I'm a big boy. I'm ten and three-quarters. I have high levels of respect for this man. <3<32 NSG, two pages into a debate
@Iseabbv Don't @ me

Zottistan
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Zottistan » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:43 am

Sounds absolutely fair. No country is entitled to aid, so it's completely justifiable that we only offer it if they meet our standards.

Not necessarily good, mind you, but justifiable.
Ireland, BCL and LLM, Training Barrister, Cismale Bi Dude and Gym-Bro, Generally Boring Socdem Eurocuck

Olimpius
Civilian

Founded: Jan 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Olimpius » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:50 am

Say a corrupt government runs a country. The government has many ties to the black market, and the officials/governors are just increasing their own power while the people suffer. In this scenario, NGOs will not be able to make any moves since they don't have enough power to. So the only option is for another government to step in. In this instance, a political process needs to be made, whether it is a political sanction or economical sanction against the country so that the government can be overthrown and re-established. And in normal cases, most transaction has a give and recieve default. So if you are asking whether it is just, as in fair, then it is fair. But morally, that is another question.

Gallup
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Gallup » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:17 am

If it's "We'll give you money if you ban evolution from being taught", that's not good. If it's "We'll give you money if you cut back on corruption/scale back on your nuclear program", that's good.
Economic Left/Right: 6.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 5.92
NSG's Official Hero of Kvatch and Prophet of NSG
Have you seen Evita? Best musical ever.
╔═════════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ════════════════╗
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Repost this if ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ you are a beautiful strong Argonian maid ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ who don’t need no Nord ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
╚═════════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ════════════════╝

DesAnges
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby DesAnges » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:18 am

Gallup wrote:If it's "We'll give you money if you ban evolution from being taught", that's not good. If it's "We'll give you money if you cut back on corruption/scale back on your nuclear program", that's good.

Hey now. Why scale back on their nuclear program? Half the world doesn't have a nuclear deterrent, that puts them at a massive disadvantage.
My name is Kim-Jong Ayatollah, and I'm a big boy. I'm ten and three-quarters. I have high levels of respect for this man. <3<32 NSG, two pages into a debate
@Iseabbv Don't @ me

Gallup
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Gallup » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:20 am

DesAnges wrote:
Gallup wrote:If it's "We'll give you money if you ban evolution from being taught", that's not good. If it's "We'll give you money if you cut back on corruption/scale back on your nuclear program", that's good.

Hey now. Why scale back on their nuclear program? Half the world doesn't have a nuclear deterrent, that puts them at a massive disadvantage.

So Iran and North Korea should get nukes? Sorry Ayatollah DesAnges.

Either that or Kim Jong DesAnges. You chose.

Edit: Just found out I've been linked in DesAnges sig. Yay me.
Last edited by Gallup on Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

DesAnges
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby DesAnges » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:24 am

Gallup wrote:
DesAnges wrote:Hey now. Why scale back on their nuclear program? Half the world doesn't have a nuclear deterrent, that puts them at a massive disadvantage.

So Iran and North Korea should get nukes? Sorry Ayatollah DesAnges.

Well where the fuck did that come from? Easy there.

I wasn't aware that Iran needed any humanitarian aid, anyway. I was thinking more like the Central African Republic.
@Iseabbv Don't @ me

Gallup
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Gallup » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:25 am

DesAnges wrote:
Gallup wrote:So Iran and North Korea should get nukes? Sorry Ayatollah DesAnges.

Well where the fuck did that come from? Easy there.

I wasn't aware that Iran needed any humanitarian aid, anyway. I was thinking more like the Central African Republic.

Those were just examples. I didn't EVERY country needed to scale back, it was just an example.

DesAnges
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby DesAnges » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:35 am

Gallup wrote:
DesAnges wrote:Well where the fuck did that come from? Easy there.

Those were just examples. I didn't EVERY country needed to scale back, it was just an example.

I think nuclear weapons are silly, personal. Nuclear power, on the other hand, is not. It is safe, efficient and a lot cleaner than "fossil fuels"*. The whole world needs access to that sort of energy, in order to advance the species.
@Iseabbv Don't @ me

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General