NATION

PASSWORD

TET: Surfin' Surfin' WIND Surfin'!

A resting-place for threads that might have otherwise been lost.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Mushet
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Mushet » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:29 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Mushet wrote:Is there anybody actually saying that their sexuality is their sole defining aspect? I can see some that it's so integral they make it a primary one but doubt there's any that are saying "All I am is a homosexual"

Yes, there are people like that. I've met a few. Here in NSG? I can't say.

And you're certain you're not exaggerating :p
"what I believe is like a box, and we’re taking the energy of our thinking and putting into a box of beliefs, pretending that we’re thinking...I’ve gone through most of my life not believing anything. Either I know or I don’t know, or I think." - John Trudell

Gun control is, and always has been, a tool of white supremacy.

Puppet: E-City ranked #1 in the world for Highest Drug Use on 5/25/2015
Puppet Sacred Heart Church ranked #2 in the world for Nudest 2/25/2010
OP of a 5 page archived thread The Forum Seven Tit Museum
Previous Official King of Forum 7 (2010-2012/13), relinquished own title
First person to get AQ'd Quote was funnier in 2011, you had to have been there
Celebrating over a decade on Nationstates!

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:30 pm

Coffee Cakes wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Pretty much. Your X or Y sexual preference. But you're also so much more so why limit it.

It's like, I'm barely bisexual, but if I identify as only being bisexual, it does an injustice to the bigger picture...
I'm an Aspie that enjoys sports, humor, music, food, religion and politics, and by limiting myself to "I'm bisexual" or any other of those things, I can't communicate any of my other traits.

And even the Aspie thing is not a definition. You're Ben. And Ben is many things wrapped into one being. :)
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Esen
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Esen » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:30 pm

Arglorand wrote:
Esen wrote:At least you don't have some cross between Singlish and Quebecois English accent. Trust me. I sound like a dying goat. And no, there was no bestiality involved. And I feel like my sympathies were eaten by a monster.

No, I merely stole them so I could reuse them at some useful point.

Like now.

My sympathies. Having heard my speaking recorded a few times, I know how horrid it is to have a horrible accent.

You cruel thing :c

I can speak Japanese pretty fine with almost no foreign accent. Same with Spanish.

English or French? Haha nope try again.

And what is a generic Western European accent?
To be, or not to be, that is the question

Mollary
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Mollary » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:30 pm

I class myself simply as confused; is that a thing?
Good stuff
Apathy
Bad things

Arglorand
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Arglorand » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:31 pm

Esen wrote:
Arglorand wrote:No, I merely stole them so I could reuse them at some useful point.

Like now.

My sympathies. Having heard my speaking recorded a few times, I know how horrid it is to have a horrible accent.

You cruel thing :c

I can speak Japanese pretty fine with almost no foreign accent. Same with Spanish.

It's, like, a really, really mild Dutch or German or something accent.
Kosovo is Morrowind. N'wah.
Impeach Dagoth Ur, legalise Daedra worship, the Empire is theft. Nerevarine 3E 427.

Pros: Dunmeri independence, abolition of the Empire, the Daedra, Morag Tong, House Redoran, Ashlander interests, abolitionism, Dissident Priests, canonisation of St. Jiub the Cliff Racer Slayer.
Cons: Imperials, the Empire, the False Tribunal, Dagoth Ur, House Hlaalu, Imperials, the Eight Divines, "Talos", "Nords", Imperial unionism, Imperials.

I am a: Social Democrat | Bright green | Republican | Intersectional feminist | Civic nationalist | Multiculturalist
(and i blatantly stole this from Old Tyrannia)

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:31 pm

Lordieth wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
I guess that for me, since I grew up seeing homosexuality as normal, it doesn't factor in. Yes, this person likes people of the same sex. However, he or she is more than just that aspect to me.

I'm not saying it isn't positive to identify. I hope it didn't come across that way. I just wonder why some people use their sexuality as their sole defining aspect.

I understand where you're coming from. Not so much that labelling exists, but that so much emphasis is put on it in terms on ones identity. I don't place a great deal of importance on it, and neither do my friends. Gay, straight, bisexual, it changes nothing about how I feel about them or vice versa, so I've never seen it as relevant.

However, some people do use their sexuality as a statement. but that's entirely up to them.

I don't speak much about my sexuality as it means little when one isn't in the market for a relationship.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

Lordieth
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 18, 2010
New York Times Democracy

Postby Lordieth » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:31 pm

Mollary wrote:I class myself simply as confused; is that a thing?

Oh, definitely. Been there. :)
There was a signature here. It's gone now.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:31 pm

Lordieth wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
I guess that for me, since I grew up seeing homosexuality as normal, it doesn't factor in. Yes, this person likes people of the same sex. However, he or she is more than just that aspect to me.

I'm not saying it isn't positive to identify. I hope it didn't come across that way. I just wonder why some people use their sexuality as their sole defining aspect.

I understand where you're coming from. Not so much that labelling exists, but that so much emphasis is put on it in terms on ones identity. I don't place a great deal of importance on it, and neither do my friends. Gay, straight, bisexual, it changes nothing about how I feel about them or vice versa, so I've never seen it as relevant.

However, some people do use their sexuality as a statement. but that's entirely up to them.

I'm aware and if that's what they wish to do, fine. They're making a statement. I just wonder, you see.
Slava Ukraini
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs

Gallup
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Gallup » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:31 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Coffee Cakes wrote:
It's like, I'm barely bisexual, but if I identify as only being bisexual, it does an injustice to the bigger picture...
I'm an Aspie that enjoys sports, humor, music, food, religion and politics, and by limiting myself to "I'm bisexual" or any other of those things, I can't communicate any of my other traits.

And even the Aspie thing is not a definition. You're Ben. And Ben is many things wrapped into one being. :)

I don't know if that is extremely profound or extremely sappy. Or both.
Last edited by Gallup on Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Economic Left/Right: 6.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 5.92
NSG's Official Hero of Kvatch and Prophet of NSG
Have you seen Evita? Best musical ever.
╔═════════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ════════════════╗
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Repost this if ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ you are a beautiful strong Argonian maid ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ who don’t need no Nord ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
╚═════════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ════════════════╝

Coffee Cakes
Khan of Spam

Founded: Sep 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Coffee Cakes » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:31 pm

Lordieth wrote:
Coffee Cakes wrote:
Point made. :lol:

Ha! That's awesome. :D
Me and my buddy might have had one of those moments last night. :unsure:

Hey, that's cool. It worked for me and my friend because it wasn't an emotional thing, it was just two friends having fun. It didn't feel wierd or anything. In the end it turned out just to be a curiosity for him, so that was that, but we remained the same good friends were before, which I think is a rare thing.

That's a good outcome then. :)

With me, I've been well... rather curious about one thing, and did it last night, and that my buddy enjoyed it, made me more at ease, and enjoy the moment as just two friends chilling out and enjoying time together.
Transnapastain wrote:CC!

Posting mod mistakes now are we?

Well, sir, you can have a Vindictive warning for making us look incompetent
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:You're Invisi Gay. Super hero of the Rainbow Equality Brigade!
Nana wrote:Being CC's bf is a death worse than fate.
Nana wrote:Finally, another reasonable individual.
Nana wrote: You're Ben. And Ben is many things wrapped into one being. :)
NSG Sodomy Club Member.
RIP WHYLT 11/14/2010-8/15/2011
Geniasis wrote:I've seen people lose credibility. It's been a while since I've seen it cast aside so gleefully.
Quotes Singing Contest of DOOM Champ. Softball
NS Kart Reppy Kart.

Asperger's
Satan's Apprentice Colleague
Lian's precious snowflake
Callie's Adorbs/Loyal Knight Prince's TET Husband

Arglorand
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Arglorand » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:31 pm

If you class yourself as something, then it usually is a thing, yeah.
Last edited by Arglorand on Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kosovo is Morrowind. N'wah.
Impeach Dagoth Ur, legalise Daedra worship, the Empire is theft. Nerevarine 3E 427.

Pros: Dunmeri independence, abolition of the Empire, the Daedra, Morag Tong, House Redoran, Ashlander interests, abolitionism, Dissident Priests, canonisation of St. Jiub the Cliff Racer Slayer.
Cons: Imperials, the Empire, the False Tribunal, Dagoth Ur, House Hlaalu, Imperials, the Eight Divines, "Talos", "Nords", Imperial unionism, Imperials.

I am a: Social Democrat | Bright green | Republican | Intersectional feminist | Civic nationalist | Multiculturalist
(and i blatantly stole this from Old Tyrannia)

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:32 pm

Mushet wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Yes, there are people like that. I've met a few. Here in NSG? I can't say.

And you're certain you're not exaggerating :p

I am certain.
Slava Ukraini

Esen
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Esen » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:32 pm

Arglorand wrote:
Esen wrote:You cruel thing :c

It's, like, a really, really mild Dutch or German or something accent.

Ooh. That's cool.

Esen
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Esen » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:32 pm

Gallup wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Nah, you are just cold.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:32 pm

Gallup wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Take it as you will. It makes no difference to me.
Slava Ukraini

Mollary
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Mollary » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:32 pm

Lordieth wrote:

What did it take for you to find out what you would classify yourself as?
Good stuff
Apathy
Bad things

Mushet
Post Marshal

Postby Mushet » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:34 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Mushet wrote:And you're certain you're not exaggerating :p

I am certain.

I don't see it, I think they may have been using it as a primary identifier but seriously thinking that all they are is a homosexual individual just seems exaggerated.
"what I believe is like a box, and we’re taking the energy of our thinking and putting into a box of beliefs, pretending that we’re thinking...I’ve gone through most of my life not believing anything. Either I know or I don’t know, or I think." - John Trudell

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:35 pm

Mushet wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
I am certain.

I don't see it, I think they may have been using it as a primary identifier but seriously thinking that all they are is a homosexual individual just seems exaggerated.

Do you move much into gay circles?
Slava Ukraini

Lordieth
Post Czar

New York Times Democracy

Postby Lordieth » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:35 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Lordieth wrote:

I'm aware and if that's what they wish to do, fine. They're making a statement. I just wonder, you see.

I suppose once you have groups, you have something to identify with, and for some people that's their sexuality. Maybe it helps some people cope with being who they are? I can't pretend to understand it, but I certainly don't begrudge anyone if that's the way they chose to live their life. Maybe it's just for the comfort of being able to identify yourself with like-
The Serbian Empire wrote:
Lordieth wrote:

I don't speak much about my sexuality as it means little when one isn't in the market for a relationship.
minded people.

Well, I wouldn't say I'm on the market for a relationship either, so I rarely bring it up unless it comes up in conversation. I can be a terrible flirt though. In that sense sometimes it helps to know.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:37 pm

Lordieth wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

I suppose once you have groups, you have something to identify with, and for some people that's their sexuality. Maybe it helps some people cope with being who they are? I can't pretend to understand it, but I certainly don't begrudge anyone if that's the way they chose to live their life. Maybe it's just for the comfort of being able to identify yourself with like-
The Serbian Empire wrote:I don't speak much about my sexuality as it means little when one isn't in the market for a relationship.
minded people.

Well, I wouldn't say I'm on the market for a relationship either, so I rarely bring it up unless it comes up in conversation. I can be a terrible flirt though. In that sense sometimes it helps to know.

I understand comfort in being around others like you. It's the ones who become a walking label who make me wonder.
Slava Ukraini

Ordenburg
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ordenburg » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:37 pm

Hello TET, I am here once more, ready to partake in the delusions of our eternity.
Res Ad Triarios Venit
"You don't have to be crazy, but it helps!"
Yoite's Captain of Chaos
Jarl Ordenburg BloodAxe
Jarl Technoburg Bloodborg
The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:
Frisivisia wrote:That there are people with so little time on their hands. Of course, NS exists too, so...

Time in one hand, Internet in the other.

New England and The Maritimes wrote:
The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:Never did it, but I always assumed you just threw money at the college until a degree came out.

Some of them hide the coin slot.

Coffee Cakes
Khan of Spam

Founded: Sep 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Coffee Cakes » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:38 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Coffee Cakes wrote:

I like that.

Thanks Nana. :hug:
Transnapastain wrote:CC!

Posting mod mistakes now are we?

Well, sir, you can have a Vindictive warning for making us look incompetent
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:You're Invisi Gay. Super hero of the Rainbow Equality Brigade!
Nana wrote:Being CC's bf is a death worse than fate.
Nana wrote:Finally, another reasonable individual.
Nana wrote: You're Ben. And Ben is many things wrapped into one being. :)
NSG Sodomy Club Member.
RIP WHYLT 11/14/2010-8/15/2011
Geniasis wrote:I've seen people lose credibility. It's been a while since I've seen it cast aside so gleefully.
Quotes Singing Contest of DOOM Champ. Softball
NS Kart Reppy Kart.

Asperger's
Satan's Apprentice Colleague
Lian's precious snowflake
Callie's Adorbs/Loyal Knight Prince's TET Husband

Mushet
Post Marshal

Postby Mushet » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:39 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Mushet wrote:I don't see it, I think they may have been using it as a primary identifier but seriously thinking that all they are is a homosexual individual just seems exaggerated.

Can't say I do, I'm familiar with identity politics in other communities and I see a lot of primary identification, but sole identification like not having any other means of identification other than that seems like an exaggeration to me.

Lordieth
Post Czar

New York Times Democracy

Postby Lordieth » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:39 pm

Mollary wrote:
Lordieth wrote:

What did it take for you to find out what you would classify yourself as?

That's a difficult question. Every person is going to be different. For me, I got talking to a couple of people who felt the way I did, and it helped me to explore those feelings. Sometimes it was as simple as asking questions, and eventually you either explore those feelings, or you don't. I suppose you could say it was a strong curiosity for a while. It took longer to decide how I felt, but even then I still don't feel like I strongly classify with a particular label. Bisexual is the best description, but "it depends" is a bit more apt.

Every person's situation is going to be unique, and it's never an easy thing to figure out. Most people eventually get there, though.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:40 pm

Mushet wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Can't say I do, I'm familiar with identity politics in other communities and I see a lot of primary identification, but sole identification like not having any other means of identification other than that seems like an exaggeration to me.

And yet some people do it. You don't have to believe me if you don't want to. :)
Slava Ukraini

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Archives