NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED]You just sank your battleship!

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
DWAsnia
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

[SUBMITTED]You just sank your battleship!

Postby DWAsnia » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:49 pm

Title: You just sank your battleship!

Description: This morning, navy officials woke up to find the pride of @@NAME@@’s fleet, The Royal @@CAPITAL@@, had sunk into the harbor. After analysis, experts concluded the main reason was rust from poor maintenance.

Validity: Nations with little military spending

Options

[option] “This just goes to show that the navy needs more funding.” Com. @@RANDOMNAME@@ claims while directing a diving crew. “How are we supposed to maintain our fleet if we make less than the unemployed? Increase military funding so we don’t have this problem again.”
[effect] Navy ships are now furnished with velveteen carpet and five-star chefs.
[stats]Defense Forces increases greatly, taxes increase, pacifism decreases, weaponization increases slightly.

[option] “We don’t need to increase spending for those heathens. We aren’t in wars or anything,” your Minister of Safety, @@RANDOMNAME@@, says while petting a kitten. “I advise shifting some spending from the military to somewhere more needed, like public transport. Plus, you don’t even need to raise taxes.”
[effect] Army generals are often found on the roadside begging for food.
[stats] Defense Forces decreases, pacifism increases, public transport increases, authoritarianism decreases slightly,

[option] “Listen,” @@RANDOMNAME@@, a local entrepreneur, says while putting his arm around your shoulder, “you don’t want to pay for a military, but you still want to maintain an international presence. Well, I have the thing for you! Privatize the military and allow the citizens to hire them. Now, imagine that! You can pay for a military when you need it and not pay for it when you don’t. It’s the best of both worlds.”
[effect] Fortune 500 corporations habitually hire mercenaries to destroy their competitors factories.
[stats] Defence spending decreases drastically, weaponization increases, economy decreases, unexpected death rate increases greatly, safety decreases greatly, pacifism decreases, happiness decreases
Last edited by DWAsnia on Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
<Acario> it is Drasnia's job to shit in people's cheerios On a self-imposed forum hiatus.

Afforess
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Afforess » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:08 pm

Love it. Would totally happen in Afforess.
Minister of the Interior, Capitalist Paradise

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Ieperithem
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Ieperithem » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:20 am

[option] “Listen,” @@RANDOMNAME@@, a local entrepreneur, says while putting his arm around your shoulder, “you don’t want to pay for a military, but you still want to maintain an international presence. Well, I have the thing for you! Privatize the military and allow the citizens to hire them. Now, imagine that! You can pay for a military when you need it and not pay for it when you don’t. It’s the best of both worlds.”
[effect] Fortune 500 corporations habitually hire mercenaries to destroy their competitors factories.
[stats] Defence spending decreases drastically, weaponization increases, economy decreases, unexpected death rate increases greatly, safety decreases greatly, pacifism decreases, happiness decreases

This is, almost word for word, an option for another issue, 'Guns or Butter'.
Political Spectrum Test
Economic Right: 69.8%
Social Libertarian: 29.3%
Foreign Policy Neoconservative: 36.0%
Cultural conservative: 22.6%
"There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all."
-Theodore Roosevelt

DWAsnia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby DWAsnia » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:07 pm

Ieperithem wrote:

This is, almost word for word, an option for another issue, 'Guns or Butter'.

It is? I don't remember that issue.
<Acario> it is Drasnia's job to shit in people's cheerios On a self-imposed forum hiatus.

Afforess
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Afforess » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:04 pm

For reference:

#202: Guns Or Butter? [Roman Republics; ed:Sirocco]

The Issue
After years of costly military build-up, the military now has a state of readiness capable of responding to all threats, both foreign and domestic. There is extensive debate among government officials, the military, and the average citizen over what, if anything, should be done with this powerful asset.

The Debate
1. "No one even thinks to look at us funny now," says Field Marshall Lionel Mandrake as he taps a swagger stick against his hip. "So think about how they'd act when the military is in proper charge of the country? We'd say jump, and they'd jump, by jingo. Oh, and if you don't agree with me, consider this a coup."

2. "There's no point in having a military this size when our closest adversary has a water pistol strapped to a scooter and calls it an armoured brigade," says noted economist @@RANDOMNAME@@. "Besides, the military's been getting uppity with all its funding anyway. Slash its budget, sell off its surplus, and put the money into tax relief and... of course... maintaining all those contractors. Sure, they won't make tanks anymore but they can sure make plenty of commemorative plates with all that money!"

3. "The military is too powerful!" cries famous peacenik Elvis Gandhi, smelling of petrol and holding a Zippo in one hand. "All those tanks and bombs threaten us and the environment - we're number one, and someone's gonna try and take us down because of it! The people are tired of eating grass soup so the army can get another stealth ICBM launching flamethrower tank. Cut military funding and rebuild our schools, hospitals, welfare, and environment... or else!" Upon which he flips open the lid of the lighter threateningly.

4. "Everyone's got it all wrong," says @@RANDOMNAME@@, leader of the @@NAME@@ Libertarian Party. "We need the military now to support our economy but we can't let it get out of control. I say we privatise it and divvy it up between several corporations, and make it self funding... it sounds radical but taxes will drop, the people will be happy, and we get to keep our military strength to show Johnny Foreigner what's what! Everyone wins! As long it's in the corporations' best interests to protect the country though, I suppose..."
Minister of the Interior, Capitalist Paradise

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

DWAsnia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby DWAsnia » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:57 pm

Old, I know, but submitted, just for kicks and giggles.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:10 pm

DWAsnia wrote:Old, I know, but submitted, just for kicks and giggles.

There's pretty much no point in posting a drafting thread if you're going to simply ignore the advice given. The only kicks and giggles will be from the issue mod deleting this one.

DWAsnia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby DWAsnia » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:15 pm

Frisbeeteria wrote:
DWAsnia wrote:Old, I know, but submitted, just for kicks and giggles.

There's pretty much no point in posting a drafting thread if you're going to simply ignore the advice given. The only kicks and giggles will be from the issue mod deleting this one.

I considered the advice, Frisbee. The only thing said was that the third option was similar to another. I thought about it and decided that I didn't need to be revised. The reason I said kicks and giggles was because I wasn't all that serious when writing this issue.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?