NATION

PASSWORD

NationStates++ | Extension for NationStates

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Afforess
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Afforess » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:01 pm

Astarial wrote:This is very, very cool. :D

I've noticed one thing that's potentially irksome - If I search for a term, there's no way as far as I can tell to switch back to the main RMB view. I have to click "leave a message" twice for that. When I click the search button again the search box goes away - would it be a relatively simple fix to make that also reload the RMB proper?

Other than that, haven't noticed any problems so far.

Thanks. Also at work too. I'll take a look in a bit.
Minister of the Interior, Capitalist Paradise

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Kubrikistan
Civilian

Founded: Jun 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Kubrikistan » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:46 pm

This is something I never knew I needed and couldn't now do without. 8) Very cool, thanks for taking the time to make this!

Afforess
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Afforess » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:31 pm

Corporation de Apple wrote:This is an UTTERLY fantastic tool - thanks a ton.

One cosmetic thing, though.
I hate non-continuity, and I noticed that you're using Bootstrap buttons for the "Move to" and "Add to Dossier", which looks great.
However, the RMB buttons are a smidgen different.
Perhaps do somefink like this:
Code: Select all
<div class="btn-group">
  <button class="btn btn-medium">Leave a Message</button>
  <button class="btn btn-medium">Search Messages</button>
</div>

And for quote:
Code: Select all
<span class="badge">Quote</span>

I'm at work right now, so I can't access GitHub and check your code, but that might prettify the quotes/leave message thing even more.
Just a thought, and thanks a bajillion.

Changes made. Like the new look?

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Feux
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Feux » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:34 pm

I love the changes. The bar below the daily nation rankings is a pretty nice. I am looking forward to any further changes or add-ons in the future.
Always Changing Shapes
TheBestDudeInHistory wrote:Feux is what would happen if I had my shitposting physically removed, isolated, and permitted to become sentient on its own. And I mean that in the best way possible. Clearly I need to marry Feux.

TaQud
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby TaQud » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:36 pm

i like the new look and the page scrolling feature. :)
CENTRIST Economic Left/Right: 0.62 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.46
List Your Sexuality, nickname(s), NSG Family and Friends, your NS Boyfriend or Girlfriend, gender, favorite quotes and anything else that shows your ego here.
(Because I couldn't live without knowing who was part of NSG Family or what your nickname was. I was panicking for days! I couldn't eat, I couldn't sleep I was so worried that I'd would never know and have to live without knowing this! /sarcasm)
2013 Best signature Award

Corporation de Apple
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Corporation de Apple » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:59 pm

I think.... I think I love you.
The Hand of Thrawnn
Former things in Osiris
Frisbeeteria wrote:
Albul wrote:Everyone has said what they needed and now no one is saying anything relevant to the topic.

That describes pretty much every topic ever posted in NSG.

Afforess
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Afforess » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:37 pm

Aesthetic change: Posting on the RMB no longer brings you to that boring "View your submitted message" page. Your post appears immediately, no refreshing or slow back clicking.

It's the little things that make NationStates annoying. I aim to fix them.

If you have suggestions or complaints (honestly I like complaints), please be specific. I know a couple of you are hoping for a settings page to enable/disable features. I would appreciate it if you could list those features you have in mind.

Corporation de Apple
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Corporation de Apple » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:50 pm

Afforess wrote:Aesthetic change: Posting on the RMB no longer brings you to that boring "View your submitted message" page. Your post appears immediately, no refreshing or slow back clicking.

If you have suggestions or complaints (honestly I like complaints), please be specific. I know a couple of you are hoping for a settings page to enable/disable features. I would appreciate it if you could list those features you have in mind.

When one moves to a different region, you get the "Success! XYZ is now located in ABCD!"
Perhaps just an autoredirect to the region page?
Last edited by Corporation de Apple on Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Hand of Thrawnn
Former things in Osiris
Frisbeeteria wrote:
Albul wrote:Everyone has said what they needed and now no one is saying anything relevant to the topic.

Afforess
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Afforess » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:04 pm

Corporation de Apple wrote:
Afforess wrote:Aesthetic change: Posting on the RMB no longer brings you to that boring "View your submitted message" page. Your post appears immediately, no refreshing or slow back clicking.

One one moves to a different region, you get the "Success! XYZ is now located in ABCD!"
Perhaps just an autoredirect to the region page?

I'll add it to my todo.

Edit: I added the todo list on the OP. If there is something I missed, nag me.
Last edited by Afforess on Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Individuality-ness
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Individuality-ness » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:44 pm

You think you can add a search function for our RMBs as well, so that I don't have to go hunting for posts?
"I should have listened to her, so hard to keep control. We kept on eating but our bloated bellies still not full."
Poetry Thread | How to Not Rape | Aspergers v. Assburgers | You Might be an Altie If... | Factbook/Extension

Singpu
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 07, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Singpu » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:48 pm

Can you move this to its own site with info on it seeing how its very popular? Remember commenter to downloaded ratio is usually 1 comment=50-100 downloads. Of course you can see downloads yourself.
http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?p=9230172#p9230172

Singpu wrote...
:o
Utceforp wrote:
Singpu wrote:Utceforp, can ezungal go ahead and go to girls? Also, sorry if my sleeping is off and reading noticeably, eye doctor dialatsted my eyes so...

I'm sorry, but I can't tell what you're saying...

Translation: utceforp, can ezungal go ahead and goto Farla? Also, sorry if my typing and reading is off noticeably, my eye doctor dialated my eyes, so...

http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?ns=1&f=23&t=338724

Liberal|Pro-Capitalism|Pro Homosexual Marriage|

Corporation de Apple
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Corporation de Apple » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:50 pm

Singpu wrote:Can you move this to its own site with info on it seeing how its very popular? Remember commenter to downloaded ratio is usually 1 comment=50-100 downloads. Of course you can see downloads yourself.

Er, it's an NS tool, and I doubt Afforess is going to pay for hosting for a dedicated site.
Afforess could, of course, use the Capitalist Paradise hosting service.
The Hand of Thrawnn
Former things in Osiris
Frisbeeteria wrote:

Afforess
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Afforess » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:06 pm

Individuality-ness wrote:You think you can add a search function for our RMBs as well, so that I don't have to go hunting for posts?

I'm not sure what you mean, there is already a search option for all RMBs.

Singpu wrote:Can you move this to its own site with info on it seeing how its very popular? Remember commenter to downloaded ratio is usually 1 comment=50-100 downloads. Of course you can see downloads yourself.

I doubt many people would find it from it's own site, this thread is a good way to let players know about it for now. Regarding dedicated hosting, I already pay for dedicated cloud hosting for http://www.capitalistparadise.com and the scripts/content are actually hosted there already. As for install base, as I control the download location, http://www.capitalistparadise.com I know exactly how many unique users there are. For the curious, there are currently ~200 unique users.
Last edited by Afforess on Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Astracarn
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Astracarn » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:10 pm

Installed! Looks good.

Spartzerium
Envoy

Founded: May 24, 2009
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Spartzerium » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:23 pm

NS Married to Tramiar <3
Father of Rawr, Mall, Jakker, Severisen, and Talisi
I once was a defender...
Former Chief Lieutenant - UDL
Former AC, VC (2 terms), CoDF (2 terms), RRO, General of the Alliance, and more - FRA
Former King, VC, and IA Minister - CoN
Former Vice Commander, Chief of Defense - CoJ

I once was a Forum 7'er...
Founder of The United Church of Reppy
Also started various other random forum games

And I once... had other random info I didn't know where to put...
Originally joined NationStates May 25, 2008.
Formerly known as Spartzerina/New Spartzerina.
Retired Major / Field Marshal - The Black Hawks
TBH Forum - TBH News Thread

Afforess
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Afforess » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:30 pm

Spartzerium wrote:http://www.nationstates.net/region=the_black_hawks/page=list_nations

Broken for me on Firefox.

Nice find. Fixed.

Individuality-ness
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Individuality-ness » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:01 pm

Afforess wrote:
Individuality-ness wrote:You think you can add a search function for our RMBs as well, so that I don't have to go hunting for posts?

I'm not sure what you mean, there is already a search option for all RMBs.

Is there? I don't know about it.

It's like, here, on the forums, on each thread we can all search the thread itself for search terms. Something like that for individual RMBs would be nice. If this feature is already there, I don't know where it is.

EDIT: Oh, I derped so hard. It was right next to the "leave a message" button. FAIL >_>

Would be cool to have it when I switched to forum view though.
Last edited by Individuality-ness on Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I should have listened to her, so hard to keep control. We kept on eating but our bloated bellies still not full."
Poetry Thread | How to Not Rape | Aspergers v. Assburgers | You Might be an Altie If... | Factbook/Extension

Afforess
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Afforess » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:22 am

Individuality-ness wrote:
Afforess wrote:I'm not sure what you mean, there is already a search option for all RMBs.

Would be cool to have it when I switched to forum view though.

Alrighty, I'll add that to my todo.

Afforess
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Afforess » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:17 am

I've got 2 new features finished (show post id's in the forums, ignore RMB posts), and ready to go, but I'm waiting on getting a settings page in before I release.

Tano
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Tano » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:12 am

:palm:

Just downloaded it, went to look through the RMB posts, and kept scrolling.

And scrolling.

And scrolling.

It took me a couple minutes to figure out that the newest ones were at the top. :/ Anyways, would you recommend clearing your browser cache before using it?
Tano Holland
Govindia: Do you consider me a friend, or just an acquaintance or what?
hobbes: I don't particularly consider anyone a true 'friend'
hobbes: at least,not on NS
Govindia: why is that?
hobbes: because
hobbes: everyone here is a jackass
hobbes: myself included

Pixie: *heart sploosh*
Tano: if your heart is splooshing you should contact a doctor
Tano: hearts are supposed to thump not sploosh
Pixie: No this is normal
Pixie: intense emotion causes me to hemorrage internally
Pixie: my life is like a really depressing comedic episode of The X-Files

Khron: we need an achievment of rem's face just for Tano
Pixie: haha
Pixie: "be Tano"

Brunhilde: My quotes should be in more signatures.

Also known as Takane or Terisclu

Afforess
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Afforess » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:36 am

Tano wrote::palm:

Just downloaded it, went to look through the RMB posts, and kept scrolling.

And scrolling.

And scrolling.

It took me a couple minutes to figure out that the newest ones were at the top. :/ Anyways, would you recommend clearing your browser cache before using it?

Ha. I flipped it around because it makes infinite scroll work. Also, from a user perspective, it makes sense to have new stuff at the top - most users are looking for newer content and not the older stuff.

You shouldn't have to clear your cache or do anything fancy after the install. It should just work.

Maltropia
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 19, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:44 am

Afforess wrote:Also, from a user perspective, it makes sense to have new stuff at the top - most users are looking for newer content and not the older stuff.

The only problem I have with that is habit, really. :p I'd kind of like to see an option to keep it the way it currently is, but I suppose I'd stop wanting that if I got used to this way.
Ɛ> Maltropia + Tiami 4ever <3
[17:46] <bc> MY ENTHUSIASM EFFECTS MY SPELLING || [19:25] <minn> srsly is maltropia the only one with a brain here :|
Call me Mal(t). Reduce risk of carpal tunnel syndrome!
GE&T:Maritime Imperial Shipwrights | T-O Cartographic
II:Amistad, EATC signatory | PRV founder | CFDS, FIR, ECU member
F&NI:IIwiki | Factbook | Embassy program
WA:Represented by Ambassador Seán Lemass

I used to be a Roleplay Mentor and still love to help people. Find me on Discord and I'll help if I can.

Individuality-ness
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Individuality-ness » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:47 am

I just thought of something else that would be nice. This concerns TGs though. Would it be possible to have clickable URLs in TGs?

Afforess
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Afforess » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:09 pm

Maltropia wrote:
Afforess wrote:Also, from a user perspective, it makes sense to have new stuff at the top - most users are looking for newer content and not the older stuff.

The only problem I have with that is habit, really. :p I'd kind of like to see an option to keep it the way it currently is, but I suppose I'd stop wanting that if I got used to this way.

Yeah, I am disoriented now when I use my phone. If you have any ideas on how to keep infinite scroll with the old ordering for posts, I'd love to hear it.

Individuality-ness wrote:I just thought of something else that would be nice. This concerns TGs though. Would it be possible to have clickable URLs in TGs?

Yeah. I can include that.

Afforess
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Afforess » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:00 pm

Alright, update 1.6 is out. Chrome users will have to re-enable the addon when it updates, because it now requires permissions to see forums.nationstates.net.

There are a plethora of new features, namely:

- Show scrolling Embassy flags next to the World Factbook Entry of each region
- Can Ignore posts in the RMB
- Can hide thread topics in the "View your posts" forum area
- Shows post id # on all forum posts

Also some bug fixes:

- When posting to the regional message board fails, give error popup
- When posting to the regional message board fails, don't delete drafted message
- Performance boost for Chrome users

A settings page for turning on/off this stuff is coming, I swear! I got sidetracked, and didn't get as much done as I hoped.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical