NATION

PASSWORD

[Passed] Repeal "International Competition Law"

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
The Dourian Embassy
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 15, 2007
Ex-Nation

[Passed] Repeal "International Competition Law"

Postby The Dourian Embassy » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:08 pm

The World Assembly,

Cognizant of the intentions of GA#70 to reduce anti-competitive practices in the international market,

Admiring those intentions and lauding the efforts of the International Trade Administration,

Believing that the resolution in question has limited effectiveness, because it does not account for new or evolved anti-competitive practices,

Disappointed that the failure of foresight has led to the proliferation of many such practices worldwide,

Recognizing that the methods of regulation tasked to the International Trade Administration are excessively cumbersome,

Noting that the resolution seeks an international solution to the problems many national regulatory agencies face,

Understanding, however, that easing the burdens national regulatory agencies face in the pursuit of good business practices, rather than assuming those burdens, would be a preferable solution to those problems,

Believing that the World Assembly can work to ease those burdens and stop anti-competitive practices more easily without GA#70,

Hereby repeals GA#70.

Co-Authored By Glen-Rhodes.

It should be noted that my co-author is also the author of the resolution we are repealing. Discuss!
Last edited by The Dourian Embassy on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Treize Dreizehn, President of Douria.

cause ain't no such things as halfway crooks

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:46 pm

I'll reserve further commenting until G-R posts here, but do you have a replacement in the works?
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

The Dourian Embassy
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Dourian Embassy » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:56 pm

Araraukar wrote:I'll reserve further commenting until G-R posts here, but do you have a replacement in the works?

I won't speak to the intentions of my co-author, but I do not plan any such replacement.

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:03 pm

OOC: Yes, this is true, I am the co-author. And I do have a replacement in the works, but I can't tell you when it will be posted. This is one of the busiest weeks in Parliament, so I may not have a lot of downtime.

The Dourian Embassy
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Dourian Embassy » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:38 pm

Anyone have comments?

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:22 pm

Yeah. Since when is GR a member of Parliament? :p
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:58 pm

Omigodtheykilledkenny wrote:Yeah. Since when is GR a member of Parliament? :p

Luckily, I'm not an MP. Unfortunately, working in the office of an MP means being busy during the last few weeks before the House rises. :( Surprisingly, I've had a lot of downtime today, though. I was able to sketch out a framework for the replacement. I may be able to have a draft written tomorrow, if I don't have to go to anything.

Auralia
Senator

Founded: Dec 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:26 pm

The Dourian Embassy wrote:Anyone have comments?

Perhaps you could include some examples of "new or evolved anti-competitive practices" in the resolution text itself, to strengthen your case?
Catholic Commonwealth of Auralia
"Amor sequitur cognitionem."

The Dourian Embassy
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Dourian Embassy » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:59 pm

Auralia wrote:Perhaps you could include some examples of "new or evolved anti-competitive practices" in the resolution text itself, to strengthen your case?

That's actually part of our problem with the original. The exactness is a weakness, because there are so many complicated ways to manipulate the marketplace any exhaustive list would still fall short.

Corporation de Apple
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Corporation de Apple » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:36 am

As long as one gets the promised replacement, for.
The Hand of Thrawnn
Former things in Osiris
Frisbeeteria wrote:
Albul wrote:Everyone has said what they needed and now no one is saying anything relevant to the topic.

That describes pretty much every topic ever posted in NSG.

The Dourian Embassy
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Dourian Embassy » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:11 am

Submitted this. Anyone with comments has a day or so before I start the TG campaign.

The Black Hat Guy
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 12, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Black Hat Guy » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:00 pm

Looks fine. The old one was good, but if it's to be replaced by a new one by the same author, I have no problem with it. Approved.

Free South Califas
Senator

Founded: May 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Free South Califas » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:10 am

The Dourian Embassy wrote:
Auralia wrote:Perhaps you could include some examples of "new or evolved anti-competitive practices" in the resolution text itself, to strengthen your case?

That's actually part of our problem with the original. The exactness is a weakness, because there are so many complicated ways to manipulate the marketplace any exhaustive list would still fall short.

The original sets out policy, though. This would just be giving some examples of why we should repeal it. Without any list, the argument is frankly less compelling than it seems it could be, IMHO. Lists of examples are supposed to "fall short" - that's the point of giving examples, to summarize, not to cover every contingency.
Last edited by Free South Califas on Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
FSC Government
Senate: Saul Califas; First Deputy Leader of the Opposition
Senior Whip, Communist Party (Meiderup)

WA: Califan WA Detachment (CWAD).
Justice
On Autism/"R-word"
(Lir. apologized, so ignore that part.)
Anarchy Works/Open Borders
Flag
I'm autistic and (proud, but) thus not a "social detective", so be warned: I might misread or accidentally offend you.
'Obvious' implications, tones, cues etc. may also be missed.
SELF MANAGEMENT ✯ DIRECT ACTION ✯ WORKER SOLIDARITY
Libertarian Communist

COMINTERN/Stonewall/TRC

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:43 am

Free South Califas wrote:
The Dourian Embassy wrote:

The original sets out policy, though. This would just be giving some examples of why we should repeal it. Without any list, the argument is frankly less compelling than it seems it could be, IMHO. Lists of examples are supposed to "fall short" - that's the point of giving examples, to summarize, not to cover every contingency.

The list of anti-competitive practices wasn't a list of examples, but an exhaustive list of practices monitored by the ITA. The only practices covered under the resolution are price-fixing, bid-rigging, exclusive dealing, group boycotts and market divisions. That is a very small list. For instance, dumping wouldn't be covered, nor would resale price maintenance. Evolving forms of anti-competitive behavior also aren't covered, like digital rights management and intellectual property misuse. The ITA is powerless to monitor those issues.

Additionally, the burden placed on the ITA is simply too large. One organization, even a massive one like the ITA, cannot handle the influx of information. It would be better for the World Assembly Trade Commission to offer its services for competition law harmonization, government-to-government liaison, and dispute settlement. Those three things are easier to manage. I'm still mulling over whether or not the WATC should get involved in large MNC mergers.
Last edited by Glen-Rhodes on Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Free South Califas
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Free South Califas » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:29 am

Glen-Rhodes wrote:
Free South Califas wrote:The original sets out policy, though. This would just be giving some examples of why we should repeal it. Without any list, the argument is frankly less compelling than it seems it could be, IMHO. Lists of examples are supposed to "fall short" - that's the point of giving examples, to summarize, not to cover every contingency.

The list of anti-competitive practices wasn't a list of examples, but an exhaustive list of practices monitored by the ITA. The only practices covered under the resolution are price-fixing, bid-rigging, exclusive dealing, group boycotts and market divisions. That is a very small list. For instance, dumping wouldn't be covered, nor would resale price maintenance. Evolving forms of anti-competitive behavior also aren't covered, like digital rights management and intellectual property misuse. The ITA is powerless to monitor those issues.
Sure, go with that. I would say go ahead and throw at least one of those examples in there. JMHO.
FSC Government

Justice
On Autism/"R-word"
Flag
I'm autistic and (proud, but) thus not a "social detective", so be warned: I might misread or accidentally offend you.
Libertarian Communist

COMINTERN/Stonewall/TRC

Triptania
Civilian

Founded: Jun 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

RE: Repeal "International Competition Law"

Postby Triptania » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:04 pm

sympathetic as I am regarding the removal of red tape and easing burdens on Nat'l agencies, i'm afraid, as long as we all agree that "price-fixing, bid-rigging, exclusive dealing, group boycotts and market divisions" are all valid anti-competitive practices, which should be enforced against, voting to repeal the legislation might be a bit extreme. wouldn't it be easier to simply amend it with language regarding new and/or evolved anti-competitive practices?

I joined the WA only two days ago but if the concern is the burden on Nat'l agencies, then won't repealing this law, in lieu of having another WA measure in place, simply task these already-burdened-Nat'l agencies with things this law removed from their plates?

Free South Califas
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Free South Califas » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:13 pm

Triptania wrote:wouldn't it be easier to simply amend it
Unfortunately, no. Much as we might like to, it is impossible to do so, and that will not change. It must be repealed and replaced if it is to be changed at all. We shouldn't clog this thread up about it, BTW; read the threads on top of this forum (General Assembly).
FSC Government

Justice
On Autism/"R-word"
Flag
Libertarian Communist

COMINTERN/Stonewall/TRC

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:32 pm

This proposal makes no argument.

AGAINST
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Discoveria
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 16, 2006
New York Times Democracy

Postby Discoveria » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:58 pm

The Black Hat Guy wrote:Looks fine. The old one was good, but if it's to be replaced by a new one by the same author, I have no problem with it. Approved.

"We are inclined to vote FOR, for the same reason," said Matthew.
"...to be the most effective form of human government."
Professor Simon Goldacre, former Administrator of the Utopia Foundation
WA Ambassador: Matthew Turing

The Utopian Commonwealth of Discoveria
Founder of LGBT University

A member of | The Stonewall Alliance | UN Old Guard
Nation | OOC description | IC Factbook | Timeline

Mediobogdum
Envoy

Founded: Jun 04, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Mediobogdum » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:10 pm

Although my WA representative has yet to vote on this matter, I'm of the opinion that something is better than nothing, or a bird in the hand etc. Until the pending new legislation has been drafted and circulated for comment, if that is the usual protocol, I feel that we should await developments rather than probably undo the good work that the existing law has achieved. I understand the frustration of many who think that the existing law has many 'holes' in it terms of monitoring/policing, but taking precipitous action before a replacement is on the table would, in mho, be foolish in the extreme.
Last edited by Mediobogdum on Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Medio
ElderGrump Sage, Lord of Doll Guldur, Knight of The Sacred Order, Rabbit Clan Chieftain

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:42 pm

Mediobogdum wrote:Although my WA representative has yet to vote on this matter, I'm of the opinion that something is better than nothing, or a bird in the hand etc. Until the pending new legislation has been drafted and circulated for comment, if that is the usual protocol, I feel that we should await developments rather than probably undo the good work that the existing law has achieved. I understand the frustration of many who think that the existing law has many 'holes' in it terms of monitoring/policing, but taking precipitous action before a replacement is on the table would, in mho, be foolish in the extreme.

Here is the drafted replacement.

Christian Democrats wrote:This proposal makes no argument.

AGAINST

How so? It is arguing that the ITA's mandate is too cumbersome, and that the exhaustive list of anti-competitive practices not only excludes existing ones, but would also exclude new and evolving forms.

- Dr. B. Castro
Last edited by Glen-Rhodes on Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:42 pm

Glen-Rhodes wrote:
Christian Democrats wrote:This proposal makes no argument.

AGAINST

How so? It is arguing that the ITA's mandate is too cumbersome, and that the exhaustive list of anti-competitive practices not only excludes existing ones, but would also exclude new and evolving forms.

- Dr. B. Castro

How are "the methods of regulation tasked to the International Trade Administration . . . excessively cumbersome"?

What sorts of "new or evolved anti-competitive practices" have emerged?

How can the World Assembly "work to ease those burdens and stop anti-competitive practices more easily without GA#70"?
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

Auralia
Senator

Founded: Dec 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:18 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:
Glen-Rhodes wrote:How so? It is arguing that the ITA's mandate is too cumbersome, and that the exhaustive list of anti-competitive practices not only excludes existing ones, but would also exclude new and evolving forms.

- Dr. B. Castro

How are "the methods of regulation tasked to the International Trade Administration . . . excessively cumbersome"?

What sorts of "new or evolved anti-competitive practices" have emerged?

How can the World Assembly "work to ease those burdens and stop anti-competitive practices more easily without GA#70"?

GR gave some examples above. I agree that they should have been included in the resolution.
Catholic Commonwealth of Auralia
"Amor sequitur cognitionem."

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:37 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:How are "the methods of regulation tasked to the International Trade Administration . . . excessively cumbersome"?

The ITA was tasked with monitoring every single multinational business and approving every single international merger. I'm not saying this to be mean or catty, but did you read the original resolution? This question has a really obvious answer...

Christian Democrats wrote:What sorts of "new or evolved anti-competitive practices" have emerged?

Well, DRM and intellectual property are two new and evolving practices that have the potential to be abused to reduce competition. The point, though, is that we don't know what these practices could be, so we should keep the avenues open, so to speak.

Christian Democrats wrote:How can the World Assembly "work to ease those burdens and stop anti-competitive practices more easily without GA#70"?

Starting the premise that the ITA is overburdened, we can redirect resources towards things like competition law harmonization, dispute settlement, and interagency liaising. It's not necessary for the World Assembly to be directly involved in monitoring individual corporations, or approving individual mergers. Those things are already done domestically, so it would be smarter to just ensure that different government agencies can communicate and network internationally through a common hub. This is what I've proposed with my draft replacement.
Last edited by Glen-Rhodes on Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Free South Califas
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Free South Califas » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:53 pm

For our part, we are satisfied with the co-author's explanation, and urge passage of this repeal.
Last edited by Free South Califas on Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FSC Government

Justice
On Autism/"R-word"
Flag
Libertarian Communist

COMINTERN/Stonewall/TRC

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives