NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Invasive Species Response Act

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Icamera
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

[PASSED] Invasive Species Response Act

Postby Icamera » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:22 am

Icameran Chief Diplomat Colin Thilnray approaches the stand, unknowingly dragging a long strand of kudzu vines with him on his left shoe. He notices the plant, removes it from his foot, and attacks the kudzu with a conveniently located flamethrower for roughly a minute. After the fire has been extinguished, he begins to address the hall.

Ladies and gentlemen of the World Assembly, I come here today to discuss a matter of the utmost international importance, but which has, regrettably, never been brought up in these hallowed halls: invasive species. A nuisance so harmful, both ecologically and economically, that we must establish a united international front against the spread of this global menace if we are to succeed in drastically reducing its damage within the near future.

I have taken the liberty of providing scientific documents from a world called Earth explaining the extent of the invasive species problem. Among some of the more salient points on Earth's invasive species:

• The worldwide economic impact of invasive species is estimated at up to $1.4 trillion annually, almost 5% of global GDP. [1]
  • In the United States alone, invasive species cause over $120-$160 billion worth of damage annually, roughly equal to having one Hurricane Katrina each year[2]
  • In the last 500 years, invasive alien species have contributed to the extinction of nearly half of global bird extinctions [2]
  • Over 100,000,000 acres of land in the United States alone have been infested by invasive plants; 4600 acres of American public land each day are lost to invasive species. [3]
  • Invasive species are the second most dangerous threat to global biodiversity, surpassed only by habitat destruction. [4]
And so, with no further ado, I give you my solution to the invasive species problem:

GENERAL ASSEMBLY RESOLUTION IN DRAFT
Invasive Species Response Act
A resolution to increase the quality of the world's environment, at the expense of industry

Category: Environmental.......Industry Affected: All Businesses.......Proposed By: Icamera

Description: The World Assembly,

CONCERNED that the serious universal issue of invasive plant and animal species has been overlooked by the international community;

HIGHLIGHTING accidental overproliferation of invasive species as not only a threat to ecosystems across the world, but also a significant, yet preventable financial burden for businesses and governments;

STRIVING to reduce such consequences by promoting international response to present invasive species outbreaks and cooperation in curbing future spread of dangerous species;

Hereby;

DEFINES "invasive species" as any non-sapient plant or animal species posing a serious risk of rapid, uncontrolled, and detrimental population growth upon being introduced to a new environment;

INSTITUTES an international ban on the unregulated introduction of potential invasive species to nations in which said species are likely to overtake or displace indigenous flora and fauna;

MANDATES that nations or other groups desiring to introduce any potentially beneficial non-native species conduct highly thorough research into the potential consequences thereof and maintain a fund for use in population control efforts should they become necessary;

REQUIRES that nations maintain a reasonably comprehensive, freely accessible registry of indigenous species indicating their reproductive capacity, biological predators, genetic variability, and ideal environmental conditions, among other information relevant to population growth capacity or pest control;

ENCOURAGES cooperation between member-states and the World Assembly Science Program in identifying species with the potential to thrive in and dominate certain environments or cause extinctions of native species;

PERMITS customs officials to take necessary action against individuals suspected of cross-border smuggling of potential invasive species via airports, docks, post, or national and local borders;

OUTLAWS practices of the shipping industry conducive to the accidental spread of invasive species, namely the discharge of ballast water in coastal waters or internal waterways and use of inadequate vessel-cleaning procedures;

GRANTS businesses, particularly those involved in agriculture, forestry, fishing, and other industries whose profitability is likely to be hampered by the costs of invasive species management, full access to the aforementioned registries;

FURTHERMORE AFFIRMS the right of said businesses to apply for guaranteed low-interest loans to be spent on management of harmful invasive species, upon the presentation of credible scientific evidence proving the necessity of assistance.

Co-authored by Ceni

I remind you all that curbing invasive species can only help the world, and requires minimal sacrifice; as such, I plan to do everything in my power to pass legislation on the issue. This includes listening to feedback from my fellow ambassadors -- I shall remain open to any suggestions and ideas, particularly those concerning the impact of this proposal on extraterrestrial societies (who, I confess, were not my primary target audience at all) or the existence of any of these invasive pests in the text.

The floor is yours, ambassadors!
Last edited by Frisbeeteria on Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:26 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Senator of The Allied Republics
ICK-uh-MARE-uh (It's an anagram of America, not an Apple product)
(See here for all)
Rynatia wrote:If I asked you to sleep with me would you answer with the same answer to this question?

Ceni
Senator

Founded: Jun 26, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Ceni » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:28 am

Icamera wrote:
Ladies and gentlemen of the World Assembly, I come here today to discuss a matter of the utmost international importance, but which has, regrettably, never been brought up in these hallowed halls: invasive species.

I believe that someone has already brought this up and written a draft resolution which is about to be submitted.
THE REPUBLIC OF CENI (the user behind this nation uses he/him/his pronouns)
Air Terranea | The Wanderlust Guide to Ceni | Seven Restaurants in Seven Days: Cataloging Cenian Food
Champions: Di Bradini Cup 38, U-18 World Cup 17
Runners-up: Di Bradini Cup 39, Di Bradini Cup 41
NSTT #1s: Lonus Varalin, Ardil Navsal (singles), Gyrachor Rentos, Val Korekal, Elia Xal/Fia Xal (doubles)
UICA Champions' Cup titles (1): 1860 Azoth
World Cup 76, World Cup 79
Baptism of Fire 61
Cup of Harmony 63
Copa Rushmori 41
International Basketball Championships 20
Cenian Open (Grand Slam) 1-8
<Schottia> I always think of Ceni as what it would be like if Long Island was its own nation, ran by Bernie Sanders lol.

Icamera
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Icamera » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:32 am

Ceni wrote:
Icamera wrote:
Ladies and gentlemen of the World Assembly, I come here today to discuss a matter of the utmost international importance, but which has, regrettably, never been brought up in these hallowed halls: invasive species.

I believe that someone has already brought this up and written a draft resolution which is about to be submitted.

Well, this is awkward. Last time I checked the GA forums, I didn't notice anything, but that was a while ago.

I promise you, I've had this in the works since March. Clearly, I should have posted a thread about it, but I'd never plagiarize.
Last edited by Icamera on Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
(See here for all)
Rynatia wrote:If I asked you to sleep with me would you answer with the same answer to this question?

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Founded: Sep 29, 2010
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:41 am

Just because someone else is working on the same topic does not mean that you cannot attempt to pass your own version of the legislation first.
Ideological Bulwark #253
Retired Major of The Black Hawks
Retired Charter Nation: Political Affairs in Antarctic Oasis
Retired Colonel of DEN Central Command, now defunct
Former Delegate of The South Pacific, winner of TSP's "Best Dali" Award
Retired Secretary of Defense of Stargate
Terror of The Joint Systems Alliance
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

Icamera
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Icamera » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:44 am

Mallorea and Riva wrote:Just because someone else is working on the same topic does not mean that you cannot attempt to pass your own version of the legislation first.

I never wanted to cut in on Ceni like that. I really, really don't want to inadvertently break any WA rules with my first proposal, especially one I've worked so hard on.

EDIT: Wait, so you're saying that there aren't any issues with me writing about the same topic?
Last edited by Icamera on Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
(See here for all)

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Founded: Sep 29, 2010
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:49 am

Icamera wrote:
Mallorea and Riva wrote:Just because someone else is working on the same topic does not mean that you cannot attempt to pass your own version of the legislation first.

I never wanted to cut in on Ceni like that. I really, really don't want to inadvertently break any WA rules with my first proposal, especially one I've worked so hard on.

EDIT: Wait, so you're saying that there aren't any issues with me writing about the same topic?

There are no rules against it. If his proposal gets passed first obviously there would be duplication problems. And it would create a bit of competition between yourself and the delegation from Ceni, but that isn't always a bad thing.
Ideological Bulwark #253
Retired Major of The Black Hawks
Retired Charter Nation: Political Affairs in Antarctic Oasis
Retired Colonel of DEN Central Command, now defunct
Former Delegate of The South Pacific, winner of TSP's "Best Dali" Award
Retired Secretary of Defense of Stargate
Terror of The Joint Systems Alliance
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

Ceni
Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Ceni » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:57 am

Icamera wrote:

Well, this is awkward. Last time I checked the GA forums, I didn't notice anything, but that was a while ago.

I promise you, I've had this in the works since March. Clearly, I should have posted a thread about it, but I'd never plagiarize.

We could maybe work together, with a compromise proposal.
Air Terranea | The Wanderlust Guide to Ceni | Seven Restaurants in Seven Days: Cataloging Cenian Food
NSTT #1s: Lonus Varalin, Ardil Navsal (singles), Gyrachor Rentos, Val Korekal, Elia Xal/Fia Xal (doubles)
Baptism of Fire 61
Cup of Harmony 63
Copa Rushmori 41
<Schottia> I always think of Ceni as what it would be like if Long Island was its own nation, ran by Bernie Sanders lol.

Icamera
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Icamera » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:01 pm

Ceni wrote:
Icamera wrote:Well, this is awkward. Last time I checked the GA forums, I didn't notice anything, but that was a while ago.

I suppose that could work... but the details behind that compromise deal are kind of important to know. What would you have in mind?
(See here for all)

Lucian De Mundo
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lucian De Mundo » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:54 pm

Icamera wrote:
Ceni wrote:

I suppose that could work... but the details behind that compromise deal are kind of important to know. What would you have in mind?

The proposal could be co-authored with a conglomeration of ideas from both drafts.
Mikkel Wienzte,
Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary,
The Anarchy of Lucian De Mundo
"Patria, Ultio Et Ignoscentia"

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:05 pm

Icamera wrote:I suppose that could work... but the details behind that compromise deal are kind of important to know. What would you have in mind?

Telegram each other to sort things out. You'll save space on both of your threads.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Icamera
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Icamera » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:15 pm

Lucian De Mundo wrote:
Icamera wrote:I suppose that could work... but the details behind that compromise deal are kind of important to know. What would you have in mind?

The proposal could be co-authored with a conglomeration of ideas from both drafts.

I guess so... and I'll gladly list Ceni as a co-author if I end up submitting this, even though we've never even talked before today.

Araraukar wrote:

Telegram each other to sort things out. You'll save space on both of your threads.

I sent him a TG back when I first realized this, but no reply. You're definitely right, though, so I'll try again and see if he's up for discussing it now.
Last edited by Icamera on Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(See here for all)

Ceni
Senator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Ceni » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:53 pm

Icamera wrote:
Ceni wrote:

Well, as several people have said in the thread, a conglomerate of ideas from both of the proposals.

As to who will submit it, we'll cross that bridge when we get there.
Baptism of Fire 61
Cup of Harmony 63
Copa Rushmori 41

Icamera
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Icamera » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:23 pm

DEFINES "potential invasive species" as any non-sapient plant or animal species posing a serious risk of dangerously rapid, uncontrolled population growth upon being introduced to a new environment;

So, I've been thinking a bit about tinkering with my definition; you know, whether some wording should be changed, how broad to make it, et cetera... any ideas?
(See here for all)

The Saturnian Republic
Spokesperson

Founded: May 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Saturnian Republic » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:52 pm

Icamera wrote:
DEFINES "potential invasive species" as any non-sapient plant or animal species not native to a given area posing a serious risk of dangerously rapid, uncontrolled population growth upon being introduced to a new environment in the said area;

So, I've been thinking a bit about tinkering with my definition; you know, whether some wording should be changed, how broad to make it, et cetera... any ideas?

Try this. It makes it a bit more specific, while eliminating "dangerously", which is unnecessary and possibly detrimental due to the broadness of the term "dangerously rapid". Just "rapid" is easier to deal with, and doesn't change any meaning.
FRA Representative, San Francisco Bay Area
Regional Assembly Representative, Spiritus
Minister of Foreign Affairs, Spiritus
Deputy Minister of Defence, Spiritus
Lieutenant, United Defenders League
High Mage of Conjurational Summoning, Spiritus Defence Force
Defender/Raider: -18
Cosmopolitan/Regionalist: -1.5
Saeturn Valerius Liberalis
Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.
-Elie Wiesel
Frattastan: Someone just give (Osiris) a founder and block regional controls.
Sedge: I'd prefer the admins to officially recognise their status as a warzone.

Icamera
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Icamera » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:58 pm

Thank you very much for your feedback, Ambassador Marlor. Here are my thoughts:
Original wrote:DEFINES "potential invasive species" as any non-sapient plant or animal species posing a serious risk of dangerously rapid, uncontrolled population growth upon being introduced to a new environment;
Suggested Changes wrote:DEFINES "potential invasive species" as any non-sapient plant or animal species not native to a given area1 posing a serious risk of dangerously2 rapid, uncontrolled population growth upon being introduced to a new environment in the said area3;

[1] I considered throwing in an adjective along the lines of "non-indigenous" after "non-sapient", or something similar to your suggestion while drafting this, but I decided that the ending clause referring to the species "being introduced to a new environment" rendered it redundant. Therefore, I would prefer to leave this alone unless anyone else seconds your suggestion.

[2] This was a bit of an issue for me, too; it's the most noticeably "off" part of the definition, in my opinion. Here, I was trying to specify that the growth had to be at levels high enough to be harmful to the new environment. I'm absolutely fine with cutting out the "dangerously" since it makes me think of Cheetos ads, provided that we have a more suitable alternative for conveying that "harmful" message. I'll tinker some more, but do you have any ideas?

[3] Since this ties in a lot with #1, I don't have much to say other than that it sounds a little redundant to me even if #1 is edited according to your suggestion.
(See here for all)

The Saturnian Republic
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Saturnian Republic » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:28 pm

I do see your points on 1 and 3, I just wanted to make the idea of non nativity more concrete. Perhaps if you could find another way to do that, it could help clarify the draft. As for 2, maybe try:

"posing a serious risk of rapid, uncontrolled, and potentially detrimental population growth"

I think it gets the point across nicely.
Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.
-Elie Wiesel

Icamera
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Icamera » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:13 pm

The Saturnian Republic wrote:I do see your points on 1 and 3, I just wanted to make the idea of non nativity more concrete. Perhaps if you could find another way to do that, it could help clarify the draft. As for 2, maybe try:

"posing a serious risk of rapid, uncontrolled, and potentially detrimental population growth"

I think it gets the point across nicely.

Yes! That's perfect! You know that feeling when you've got a word on the tip of your tongue but you can't think of it? "Detrimental" was exactly the word I was looking for. Thank you so much!

I'll start tweaking the text in my head again for ways to blend in more of that "foreign" element. Still have that tip-of-the-tongue feeling, but here's hoping I can break it myself this time. :P

EDIT: Heck, "foreign" actually sounds nice to me. How's this?
DEFINES "potential invasive species" as any foreign, non-sapient plant or animal species posing a serious risk of rapid, uncontrolled, and potentially detrimental population growth upon being introduced to a new environment;

The only drawback is that someone could misinterpret it as meaning "foreign to the country" as opposed to "foreign to the new environment", but it's not too big of a deal.
Last edited by Icamera on Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
(See here for all)

The Akashic Records
Diplomat

Founded: May 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Akashic Records » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:25 am

If I may interject,
Icamera wrote:GRANTS businesses, particularly those involved in agriculture, forestry, fishing, and other industries whose profitability is likely to be hampered by the costs of invasive species management, full access to the aforementioned registries;
Wait, what about the general public? Shouldn't they know about these too? I mean, most tourists like to bring back souvenirs with them, only to have them slowly spread unnoticed until it's too late.
Overall, the draft feels good. In the sense of interpretation, I mean. We look forward to supporting it.
About my posts:
Unless otherwise stated, everything I say is in character.
Coleman T. Harrison,
WA Ambassador for The Akashic Records
On Sanity - Minds are like parachutes. Just because you've lost yours doesn't mean you can borrow mine.
No, the idea behind it (free will) is that one has the option to be Good (tm) and the option to be Bad (tm). God is rather pro-choice. - The Alma Mater -

The Saturnian Republic
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Saturnian Republic » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:50 am

I agree with Akashic Records. The public should have access to the information, to reduce the risk of escaped "pets" destroying ecosystems.
-Elie Wiesel

Icamera
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Icamera » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:42 pm

Thank you for your input, my fine Akashic friend. I certainly agree; by making the information available to all citizens, we enjoy the benefits of an "ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" approach by reducing the need for customs policing. How does this sound?
REQUIRES that nations maintain a reasonably comprehensive, freely accessible registry of indigenous species indicating their reproductive capacity, biological predators, genetic variability, and ideal environmental conditions, among other information relevant to population growth capacity;
(See here for all)

Corporation de Apple
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Corporation de Apple » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:22 pm

DEFINES "potential invasive species" as any non-sapient plant or animal species posing a serious risk of rapid, uncontrolled, and potentially detrimental population growth upon being introduced to a new environment;

I fail to see the need for potential in either the description or the detrimental population growth.
Additionally, perhaps expand it to say "or adversely affecting the population of an indigenous species", since an invasive species might not have a large population but could kill in swaths.
The Hand of Thrawnn
Former things in Osiris
Frisbeeteria wrote:
Albul wrote:Everyone has said what they needed and now no one is saying anything relevant to the topic.

That describes pretty much every topic ever posted in NSG.

Icamera
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Icamera » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:56 pm

Corporation de Apple wrote:
DEFINES "potential invasive species" as any non-sapient plant or animal species posing a serious risk of rapid, uncontrolled, and potentially detrimental population growth upon being introduced to a new environment;

I fail to see the need for potential in either the description or the detrimental population growth.
Additionally, perhaps expand it to say "or adversely affecting the population of an indigenous species", since an invasive species might not have a large population but could kill in swaths.

Absolutely. I'm surprised I didn't notice the gross redundancy of the "potentials" myself; thank you very much for drawing attention to it. I'll fix it.

As for your "adversely affecting..." suggestion: I believe that mentioning "detrimental population growth" will be sufficient; the qualifier lies in the word "detrimental", meaning the only way in which population size matters is at what size the species will negatively impact the indigenous ecosystem. I will consider the change, however, if others also agree that it is necessary.
Last edited by Icamera on Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
(See here for all)

The Saturnian Republic
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Saturnian Republic » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:50 pm

If I may suggest something like this:
DEFINES "potential invasive species" as any non-sapient plant or animal species posing a serious risk of rapid, uncontrolled, and potentially detrimental population growth leading to adverse affects on indigenous species upon being introduced to a new environment;

It may be needing tweaking, but it's there. Really excited about this passing, by the way. Kind of invested in it.
Last edited by The Saturnian Republic on Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Elie Wiesel

Icamera
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Icamera » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:57 pm

The Saturnian Republic wrote:If I may suggest something like this:
DEFINES "potential invasive species" as any non-sapient plant or animal species posing a serious risk of rapid, uncontrolled, and potentially detrimental population growth leading to adverse affects on indigenous species upon being introduced to a new environment;

It may be needing tweaking, but it's there. Really excited about this passing, by the way. Kind of invested in it.

That's great to hear! I'm confident that the World Assembly will be legislating invasive species soon; when big business, environmentalists, and weed-hating suburban homeowners can all unite against a common enemy, it's clear that something will be done.

Something about your edit seems a little choppy-sounding, but how about this?
DEFINES "invasive species" as any non-sapient plant or animal species posing a serious risk of rapid, uncontrolled, and locally detrimental population growth upon being introduced to a new environment;
(See here for all)

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:23 pm

At the risk of ruining my reputation as a grumpy curmudgeon...

We believe this may be ready and are willing to support it.

I need a drink.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives