NATION

PASSWORD

Repost of the Ukrainian Volunteer Corps in Syria Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Repost of the Ukrainian Volunteer Corps in Syria Thread

Postby Shofercia » Fri May 31, 2013 6:56 pm

First, let me say that this is a repost of this thread: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=244145

The problem with the OP is that he didn't really do a good job in the OP; a youtube vid, a link and a one liner. Nevertheless, the thread generated a decent amount of discussion, so I'm going to create a valid OP.

Second, as we all should know a valid OP includes a brief description on what to discuss, a link, and the poster's own opinion. So here goes:

Long story short, due to Gorbachev-Yeltsin reforms, the situation of veterans who fought in post Soviet Conflicts was rather shameful; they were denied housing, and sometimes even food. In the "most Westernized Republic of Ukraine where Capitalism Reigns Supreme", (as if you can introduce actual Capitalism to a public that doesn't know the basics, well according to Gorbachev, Yeltsin, Dolts and Co. you can, according to reality, not quite so much,) the poor treatment of the military continued until 2008, with Yushenko's Revolution and all of that Foreign Funded crap hailed as the "Orange Revolution". In reality, Ukraine got more despair, and less Social Rights. And Yanukovich cannot undo two and a half decades of harmful crap in three years, so the situation for war vets in Ukraine is desperate, but hey, at least the PR masters have good housing. FTW right?

So they're making a proposal to Assad: "we'll help ya out, if you give us Social Rights!" Or, as they say: http://syriareport.net/report-russian-u ... rian-army/

A veteran Ukrainian intelligence officer made an unusual statement recently, pledging Russian and and Ukrainian volunteers for fighting alongside the Syrian army.

In a mid-May video statement announcing the establishment of the volunteer corps, Commander Sergey Razumovsky addressed his appeal ”all veterans of military service of the Soviet Union, all Russian and Ukrainian officers, residing in the Ukraine.”

Referring to poor living conditions of veterans in the country, namely “the lack of housing”, the former officer says that due to this situation, veterans can offer their skills to Syria in it’s efforts to restore constitutional order.

Recognising the fact that Syrian law does not allow foreigners to join the national armed forces, Razumovsky said Syria could give citizenship status to the volunteers, provide insurance to the volunteer’s families to help with the purchase of property after the war.

My view is - why the heck not? I'd rather die fighting than starving. Just seems like a quicker, less painful death. Also, Saudi Arabia is likely sending fighters, why not make a counter?

Third, the previous thread ended with Nixon and Blazedtown blaming Russia, and I have a sarcastic response that I must use:

Damn, I didn't know that Russia was skilled enough to create poverty conditions for war vets in Ukraine during Yushenko's term, who's as anti-Russian as you can get away with in Ukraine. I guess we're skilled like that /sarcasm

So NSG, thoughts?
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Densaner
Minister

Founded: Jul 19, 2005
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Densaner » Fri May 31, 2013 7:03 pm

I posted on the other thread. But it just shows how fucked up the whole Syrian situation is.

Anyone advocating intervention in that vortex needs psychiatric help.

Brocwika
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Brocwika » Fri May 31, 2013 7:06 pm

Russian and Ukranian volunteers.

AKA "mercenaries"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-18321748

Middle Eastern dictators have a habit of calling on the help of Eastern European contracted killers.
Last edited by Brocwika on Fri May 31, 2013 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vintery, Mintery, Cuttery, Corn
Appleseed and Applethorn
Wire, Briar, Limberlock
Three geese in a flock
One flew east, one flew west...
One flew over the cuckoo's nest
Current Time To Doomsday
"A fear of weapons is a sign of undeveloped emotional and sexual maturity"~~Sigmund Freud.

My Website (it's not finished but check it out)

Forster Keys
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Forster Keys » Fri May 31, 2013 7:07 pm

The Syrian Conflict never ceases to bemuse me.
The blue sky above beckons us to take our freedom, to paint our path across its vastness. Across a million blades of grass, through the roars of our elation and a thousand thundering hooves, we begin our reply.

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Fri May 31, 2013 7:09 pm

To bad there isn't a Russian Valhalla...

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Fri May 31, 2013 7:13 pm

Orthodox Christians are being massacred by jihadist insurgents in Syria with the complicity of the US and Britain.

That faith is strong in Russia; I would expect there would be some natural sympathies.
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Brocwika
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Brocwika » Fri May 31, 2013 7:15 pm

Pope Joan wrote:Orthodox Christians are being massacred by jihadist insurgents in Syria with the complicity of the US and Britain.

That faith is strong in Russia; I would expect there would be some natural sympathies.

Yeah, thats why they went to Serbia's aid during World War 1, the primary reason it escalated the way it did.
Appleseed and Applethorn
Wire, Briar, Limberlock
Three geese in a flock
Current Time To Doomsday
"A fear of weapons is a sign of undeveloped emotional and sexual maturity"~~Sigmund Freud.

Forster Keys
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Forster Keys » Fri May 31, 2013 7:17 pm

Pope Joan wrote:Orthodox Christians are being massacred by jihadist insurgents in Syria with the complicity of the US and Britain.

Seriously, read the article...
The blue sky above beckons us to take our freedom, to paint our path across its vastness. Across a million blades of grass, through the roars of our elation and a thousand thundering hooves, we begin our reply.

Novaya Tselinoyarsk
Senator

Founded: Aug 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Novaya Tselinoyarsk » Fri May 31, 2013 7:18 pm

Forster Keys wrote:

Never, it's always best to take key words and make things up.
Proletariacka Rzeczpospolita Nowy Tselinoyarsk
Proletarskaya Respubliki Novaya Tselinoyarsk

Forster Keys
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Forster Keys » Fri May 31, 2013 7:20 pm

Novaya Tselinoyarsk wrote:
Forster Keys wrote:

Never, it's always best to take key words and make things up.

True. That way they can fit your agenda easier.

Blazedtown
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Blazedtown » Fri May 31, 2013 7:31 pm

Forster Keys wrote:
Novaya Tselinoyarsk wrote:Never, it's always best to take key words and make things up.

Always been my MO.
Go Vikings.
Sunnyvale, straight the fuck up.

Forster Keys
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Forster Keys » Fri May 31, 2013 7:37 pm

Blazedtown wrote:
Forster Keys wrote:

Always been my MO.

Don't we know it. ;)

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Fri May 31, 2013 7:53 pm

"There are three different Orthodox churchs (in Ukraine): Ukranian Orthodox (Kiev Patriarchate), which claims 15 percent of the population; Ukranian Orthodox (Moscow Patriarchate), claiming 8 percent, and Ukranian Autocephalous Orthodox, 2 percent. Various nonpracticing Orthodox Christians, who regard themselves as part of the Orthodox culture but who have no link with any church, account for roughly 21 percent of the populaiton. Also, the Ukranian Greek Catholics claim another 8 percent."

http://books.google.com/books?id=wm3w1o ... on&f=false

I did not make that up.

"PanARMENIAN.Net - A statement has been published in Halebahayotion Facebook page, with rumors suggesting Christian women are raped in Aleppo, confirmed.

“To all the human race in all the world, we hereby notify you, full of anger and grief, that the gossip about Christian girls in Syria being raped while the offender praises Allah 3 times (saying Allah is the Greatest) is unfortunately true. We have confirmed the news but we do not know the exact number of victims."

http://www.panarmenian.net/eng/news/152647/

"Now it is the Christians, who have largely sought to remain neutral, who are on the receiving end of abuse and attacks. For many, the choice now is between leaving the country or risking an uncertain and hazardous future.

Some in the Church are adamant about who is to blame – not just those carrying out the persecution, but those who are encouraging it to happen. For Archbishop Issam John Darwish of Furrzol, Zahle and the Bekaa, the responsibility for the attacks lay with "an influx of jihadists in the rebels in the last six, seven months". There is for him, as in so many such situations in the Middle East, the spectre of a "hidden hand". "I think the situation is being manipulated by the USA and maybe Israel – they want this to happen," he insisted."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 74710.html
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Ensiferum
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Ensiferum » Fri May 31, 2013 7:59 pm

Natural sympathies are no excuse for terrorism.
Last edited by Ensiferum on Fri May 31, 2013 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Regnum Dominae
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Regnum Dominae » Fri May 31, 2013 8:34 pm

Why is it that the same people who are so loudly opposed to the foreign anti-Assad mercs are supportive of the pro-Assad mercs?
I support peace in Israel and Palestine. The governments and people in power on all sides are an absolute disgrace, and their unwillingness to pursue peace is a disservice to the people they are meant to be serving. The status quo is not simply untenable; it is unquestionably unacceptable.

Forster Keys
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Forster Keys » Fri May 31, 2013 8:38 pm

Pope Joan wrote:"There are three different Orthodox churchs (in Ukraine): Ukranian Orthodox (Kiev Patriarchate), which claims 15 percent of the population; Ukranian Orthodox (Moscow Patriarchate), claiming 8 percent, and Ukranian Autocephalous Orthodox, 2 percent. Various nonpracticing Orthodox Christians, who regard themselves as part of the Orthodox culture but who have no link with any church, account for roughly 21 percent of the populaiton. Also, the Ukranian Greek Catholics claim another 8 percent."

I did not make that up.

"PanARMENIAN.Net - A statement has been published in Halebahayotion Facebook page, with rumors suggesting Christian women are raped in Aleppo, confirmed.

“To all the human race in all the world, we hereby notify you, full of anger and grief, that the gossip about Christian girls in Syria being raped while the offender praises Allah 3 times (saying Allah is the Greatest) is unfortunately true. We have confirmed the news but we do not know the exact number of victims."

"Now it is the Christians, who have largely sought to remain neutral, who are on the receiving end of abuse and attacks. For many, the choice now is between leaving the country or risking an uncertain and hazardous future.

Some in the Church are adamant about who is to blame – not just those carrying out the persecution, but those who are encouraging it to happen. For Archbishop Issam John Darwish of Furrzol, Zahle and the Bekaa, the responsibility for the attacks lay with "an influx of jihadists in the rebels in the last six, seven months". There is for him, as in so many such situations in the Middle East, the spectre of a "hidden hand". "I think the situation is being manipulated by the USA and maybe Israel – they want this to happen," he insisted."

I'm not saying that this isn't happening, and there's pretty much universal agreement that this is reprehensible, but according to the article there's no evidence to suggest that's why they're going.

Disserbia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Disserbia » Fri May 31, 2013 9:21 pm

Why did it get locked?
You can't spell scat fetish without catfish.
Mollary wrote:Hate and alcohol can unite most people.

Souriya Al-Assad wrote:One does not simply Mossad The Assad.

New Maldorainia wrote:Dissy likes touching my walruses.

The Blaatschapen wrote:Remember, birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you'll live.
Funniest shit on this shite
fakbuk and other random shit
PC:
Economic Left/Right: 3.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.00
PS:
Right: 1.45
Libertarian: 6.22
Non-interventionist: 5.82
Cultural liberal: 2.23
PT:
democratic National Liberal
In a more sane world I'd be a moderate Republican.

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Fri May 31, 2013 9:32 pm

Brocwika wrote:Russian and Ukranian volunteers.

AKA "mercenaries"

Middle Eastern dictators have a habit of calling on the help of Eastern European contracted killers.

Volunteers aren't the same thing as contract killers. James Bond isn't just an investigative journalist either. Also, the Middle East produces contract killers on their own, and hires some from the West as well. Contract killers aren't limited to Eastern Europe.

Brocwika wrote:

Yeah, thats why they went to Serbia's aid during World War 1, the primary reason it escalated the way it did.

WWI occurred because European Empires ran out of places to expand, formed two giant coalitions, and duked it out. If Francis Ferdinand wasn't going to be the reason, it would've been something else. Every time that empires run of out space, they fight.

Ensiferum wrote:

What terrorism is Pope Joan advocating for?

Regnum Dominae wrote:Why is it that the same people who are so loudly opposed to the foreign anti-Assad mercs are supportive of the pro-Assad mercs?

Volunteers, not mercs. Once again:

You do not have the right to make our children risk their lives in foreign wars to soothe your aching conscience. We hate oppressive governments, and if you actually go over there and do some of the fighting yourself, you might find one of us fighting alongside you. However, we do not enjoy parenting the entire world and do not want to spend so much of our time battling each and every little tyrant with a military uniform and a funny hat.

Disserbia wrote:Why did it get locked?

Youtube link in OP + one other link + one line post + someone probably bitched about it. It's really up to the mods if they want to lock those threads or not. The solution is creating a much better OP :D
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Fri May 31, 2013 9:35 pm

Forster Keys wrote:
Pope Joan wrote:"There are three different Orthodox churchs (in Ukraine): Ukranian Orthodox (Kiev Patriarchate), which claims 15 percent of the population; Ukranian Orthodox (Moscow Patriarchate), claiming 8 percent, and Ukranian Autocephalous Orthodox, 2 percent. Various nonpracticing Orthodox Christians, who regard themselves as part of the Orthodox culture but who have no link with any church, account for roughly 21 percent of the populaiton. Also, the Ukranian Greek Catholics claim another 8 percent."

I did not make that up.

I'm not saying that this isn't happening, and there's pretty much universal agreement that this is reprehensible, but according to the article there's no evidence to suggest that's why they're going.

You're right. I even quoted the main reason that it's happening in the OP:

Referring to poor living conditions of veterans in the country, namely “the lack of housing”, the former officer says that due to this situation, veterans can offer their skills to Syria in it’s efforts to restore constitutional order.

Recognising the fact that Syrian law does not allow foreigners to join the national armed forces, Razumovsky said Syria could give citizenship status to the volunteers, provide insurance to the volunteer’s families to help with the purchase of property after the war.

Risottia
Khan of Spam

Founded: Sep 05, 2006
Democratic Socialists

Postby Risottia » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:10 am

Napkiraly wrote:To bad there isn't a Russian Valhalla...

Considering how Russia was born as a half-Slavic, half-Viking country, well...
Statanist through and through.
Evilutionist Atheist Crusadjihadist. Egli/Lui.
"Darwinu Akhbar! Dawkins vult!"
Founder of the NSG Peace Prize Committee. Should I restart the bugger?
SUMMER, BLOODY SUMMER!

Brocwika
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Brocwika » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:48 pm

Risottia wrote:
Napkiraly wrote:To bad there isn't a Russian Valhalla...

Considering how Russia was born as a half-Slavic, half-Viking country, well...

And half mongol too Eurasian... as they say. .
Last edited by Brocwika on Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Appleseed and Applethorn
Wire, Briar, Limberlock
Three geese in a flock
Current Time To Doomsday

Brocwika
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Brocwika » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:51 pm

Shofercia wrote:
Brocwika wrote:Russian and Ukranian volunteers.

AKA "mercenaries"

Volunteers aren't the same thing as contract killers. James Bond isn't just an investigative journalist either. Also, the Middle East produces contract killers on their own, and hires some from the West as well. Contract killers aren't limited to Eastern Europe.

Brocwika wrote:

WWI occurred because European Empires ran out of places to expand, formed two giant coalitions, and duked it out. If Francis Ferdinand wasn't going to be the reason, it would've been something else. Every time that empires run of out space, they fight.

Ensiferum wrote:

What terrorism is Pope Joan advocating for?

Regnum Dominae wrote:Why is it that the same people who are so loudly opposed to the foreign anti-Assad mercs are supportive of the pro-Assad mercs?

Volunteers, not mercs. Once again:

You do not have the right to make our children risk their lives in foreign wars to soothe your aching conscience. We hate oppressive governments, and if you actually go over there and do some of the fighting yourself, you might find one of us fighting alongside you. However, we do not enjoy parenting the entire world and do not want to spend so much of our time battling each and every little tyrant with a military uniform and a funny hat.

Disserbia wrote:Why did it get locked?

Youtube link in OP + one other link + one line post + someone probably bitched about it. It's really up to the mods if they want to lock those threads or not. The solution is creating a much better OP :D

Soldier of Fortune, mercenary, contract killer, whatever man, all comes down to the same thing, a warrior for hire. And of course they come from everywhere, Arabs like the Eastern European ones though.

And I know how WW1 started, but the reason Russia allied itself with Serbia, was because it was another Eastern Orthodox nation.
Appleseed and Applethorn
Wire, Briar, Limberlock
Three geese in a flock
Current Time To Doomsday

Czechanada
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Czechanada » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:51 pm

So, Orthodox Christians are active once more in what used to be a Byzantine province.

This isn't that hard to deduce the conclusion. ;)
"You know what I was. You see what I am. Change me, change me!" - Randall Jarrell.

Blekksprutia
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Blekksprutia » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:52 pm

Good Lord, Ukrainians siding with Assad? I'm so ashamed.
KILLUGON and BERNIE SANDERS and my moirail, ERIDEL.
Founder of Kotturheim, home to my GAY POLECATS, who are TOO FABULOUS FOR YOU.
Arg: Blekk does that. The topics of same sex marriage and the human race's fight against idiocy motivate him to write some truly impressive and glorious rants that deserve to be remembered and sigged.
Zott: I see our Blekky has discovered the joys of amphetamines.
Horus: blekky you are blekky i am horus
Rio: Blekky you are the best person on this website. Figuratively, kiss me.
Blekky is like a bunny. He looks adorable, yet he might bite you till it hurts.
Veccy: you're the worst blekky
The Balkens: Blekk does that, he has been taught by NSG's greatest practitioners of Snark to Snark combat.
Napki: Marry me, Blekk
Aeq: Blekk, you are Jesus!!!

Dilange
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 09, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Dilange » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:59 pm

Cool. I guess?

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General