NATION

PASSWORD

Summer Solstice Pagan Festival has Pahokee residents outrage

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Thafoo
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Thafoo » Thu May 30, 2013 4:59 pm

Luveria wrote:
Thafoo wrote:Because fuck freedom.

Fixed.

Thank you Angie dear :hug:

Czechanada
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Czechanada » Thu May 30, 2013 5:00 pm

Luveria wrote:
Czechanada wrote:
It is honestly sad to see that Christians have been oppressing Pagans for centuries.

It's sad to see the Christians continue to oppress Pagans.

Well, yes, that's what I meant.
"You know what I was. You see what I am. Change me, change me!" - Randall Jarrell.

Kalckalinkd
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Kalckalinkd » Thu May 30, 2013 5:03 pm

I'm Catholic and I'm ashamed of this.

Mkuki
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Mkuki » Thu May 30, 2013 5:03 pm

United Kingdom of Muffins wrote:
Czechanada wrote:
It is honestly sad to see that Christians have been oppressing Pagans for centuries.

I have no problem with them doing this, but when did Euro-Paganism come back? I mean I know about Indian and African paganism surving, but I thought the whole celtic thing died like a few thousand years ago.

Norse paganism was quite popular in Scandinavia until around the twelfth and thirteenth centuries. And, I'm not entirely sure, though, I think paganism in Lithuania was kicking quite strongly until around the fourteenth century. I know of at least one crusade that was launched against them and that was in the thirteenth century.
Economic Left/Right: -4.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.10

Political Test (Results)
Who Do I Side With?
Vision of the Justice Party - Justice Party Platform
John Rawls wrote:In justice as fairness, the concept of right is prior to that of the good.
HAVE FUN BURNING IN HELL!

Mkuki
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Mkuki » Thu May 30, 2013 5:04 pm

Luveria wrote:
Mkuki wrote:Freedom of religion at work folks.

Freedom of my religion.

Indeed. :(

Political Test (Results)
Who Do I Side With?
John Rawls wrote:In justice as fairness, the concept of right is prior to that of the good.

Coccygia
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Coccygia » Thu May 30, 2013 5:05 pm

Battenburgia wrote:
The Spiral Future wrote:During the seventies, Catholics priests used to say disco's and modern music was ''pagan' here in Ireland and protested them.

nothing surprises me about the Catholic Church.....they once even banned the Bible :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
http://withchrist.org/archives.htm

Indeed. The Catholic Church banned translation of the Bible, because they wanted Biblical interpretation to be the exclusive province of the clergy (otherwise laypeople might read it and realize how much of Church teaching had no basis in scripture whatever). It was no joke! Naturally one of the main aims of the Protestant movement, and the Lollards (led by Wycliffe, the first translator of the Bible into English) before them, was translating the Bible into vernacular languages.
"Nobody deserves anything. You get what you get." - House
"Hope is for sissies." - House
“Qokedy qokedy dal qokedy qokedy." - The Voynich Manuscript
"We're not ordinary people - we're morons!" - Jerome Horwitz
"A book, any book, is a sacred object." - Jorge Luis Borges
"I am a survivor. I am like a cockroach, you just can't get rid of me." - Madonna

Miss Defied
Minister

Founded: Mar 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Miss Defied » Thu May 30, 2013 5:26 pm

Nidaria wrote:
The Spiral Future wrote:
What makes Paganism of any form a cult and not a religion?

"The word cult in current popular usage is a pejorative term for a new religious movement or other group whose beliefs or practices are considered abnormal or bizarre by the larger society."

~Wikipedia

Really? We're defining the word that loosely these days? What a shame. I remember back when large groups of people would misuse a word, people would stand up and correct them. Slap them silly and make them feel bad for their ignorance. Now it seems we just shrug our shoulders and say, "Whatever. How ever you want do it. Go ahead."
"You know you're like the A-bomb. Everybody's laughing, having a good time. Then you show up -BOOM- everything's dead." - Master Shake

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Thu May 30, 2013 5:38 pm

The Carlisle wrote:
Yumyumsuppertime wrote:It seems to me that there are more self-professed Christians than self-professed witches who honestly believe in witchcraft.

Don't worry about those heathen witches! I got a guidebook to handling witches!

Twas a good read. ;)
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.
I edit my posts to fix typos.

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Thu May 30, 2013 5:41 pm

United Kingdom of Muffins wrote:I still don't understand how we got pagans again. :eyebrow:

The holy water wore off after a few centuries. :p
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.
I edit my posts to fix typos.

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Thu May 30, 2013 5:47 pm

United Kingdom of Muffins wrote:I still don't understand how we got pagans again. :eyebrow:

During the 70s, some people who watched the Wicker Man were like "What? I totally want to burn virgin police officers alive so my harvest will be better." Four decades later, the paparazzi are all secretly pagans who wish to kill off actors by driving them nuts to the point where by embarassing and exposing their secrets they will drive them to suicide and ensure a better harvest.

Luveria
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Luveria » Thu May 30, 2013 5:50 pm

Mike the Progressive wrote:

During the 70s, some people who watched the Wicker Man were like "What? I totally want to burn virgin police officers alive so my harvest will be better." Four decades later, the paparazzi are all secretly pagans who wish to kill off actors by driving them nuts to the point where by embarassing and exposing their secrets they will drive them to suicide and ensure a better harvest.

Better harvests are good for the economy.

Mkuki
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Mkuki » Thu May 30, 2013 5:52 pm

Nidaria wrote:It is a cult, not a religion. However, it is illegal and immoral for a state to obstruct such a gathering, unless actions within it are illegal--which is not unlikely considering its nature. The townspeople can and should protest all they can.

You act as if there is one type of paganism... :eyebrow:

Political Test (Results)
Who Do I Side With?

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Thu May 30, 2013 6:02 pm

Luveria wrote:
Mike the Progressive wrote:

Better harvests are good for the economy.

*cue O Fortuna*

Ensiferum
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Ensiferum » Thu May 30, 2013 8:20 pm

Nidaria wrote:It is a cult, not a religion. However, it is illegal and immoral for a state to obstruct such a gathering, unless actions within it are illegal--which is not unlikely considering its nature. The townspeople can and should protest all they can.

Well yeah it is a cult, sadly about a third of the world follows this Christian cult though so there isn't a lot we can do to prevent them from harming others.

United Kingdom of Muffins
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 08, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby United Kingdom of Muffins » Thu May 30, 2013 8:51 pm

Ensiferum wrote:

Well yeah it is a cult, sadly about a third of the world follows this Christian cult though so there isn't a lot we can do to prevent them from harming others.

Support Pope Muffins in his campaigning to become actuall pope.
Pope Muffins
"Pretty girls digging prettier women" The Who, 5:15, from the album Quadrophenia
"Has God forgotten what I have done for him?" Louis XIV Of France

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Thu May 30, 2013 8:52 pm

Ensiferum wrote:

Sorry, but I've pledged my support to Liri.
~~~~~~~~
We are currently 33% through the Trump administration.
................................................................................................................................................................................................................
................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Regnum Dominae
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Regnum Dominae » Thu May 30, 2013 8:56 pm

Greater Pokarnia wrote:Boohoo, they don't practice the same religion as you. Fucking get over it.

This.

Although I don't like ANY religion, I find religious-based hate toward other religions to be equally bad.
I support peace in Israel and Palestine. The governments and people in power on all sides are an absolute disgrace, and their unwillingness to pursue peace is a disservice to the people they are meant to be serving. The status quo is not simply untenable; it is unquestionably unacceptable.

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Thu May 30, 2013 9:04 pm

Christianity has a long history of taking over pagan holidays and turning them into Christian ones. So what they need is some clever spin doctor to discover an ancient connection with the history and dogma of the church which coincides with midsummer.

Catholics might choose the moment when Jesus gave Peter "The keys to the kingdom" and said "On this Rock I will build my church."

I'd like to make it Sermon on the Mount day. It's a fine piece of teaching, and it could have happened at midsummer; a mountain would have been a refreshing venue in the midst of the heat of the season.

Or we could have it be Forgiveness Day, when Jesus did not condemn the woman caught in adultery and convinced the irate elders not to stone her. That would be a worthwhile holiday.

Just like Christmas, with its trees and wreaths, we could adopt pagan practices to adorn the newly discovered holiday. Maybe running around naked? Do you pagans do that at Midsummer? It could be fun.

My Pictish ancestors used to go into battle naked, you know.
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Wisconsin9
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wisconsin9 » Thu May 30, 2013 9:06 pm

Pope Joan wrote:Christianity has a long history of taking over pagan holidays and turning them into Christian ones. So what they need is some clever spin doctor to discover an ancient connection with the history and dogma of the church which coincides with midsummer.

Catholics might choose the moment when Jesus gave Peter "The keys to the kingdom" and said "On this Rock I will build my church."

I'd like to make it Sermon on the Mount day. It's a fine piece of teaching, and it could have happened at midsummer; a mountain would have been a refreshing venue in the midst of the heat of the season.

Or we could have it be Forgiveness Day, when Jesus did not condemn the woman caught in adultery and convinced the irate elders not to stone her. That would be a worthwhile holiday.

Just like Christmas, with its trees and wreaths, we could adopt pagan practices to adorn the newly discovered holiday. Maybe running around naked? Do you pagans do that at Midsummer? It could be fun.

My Pictish ancestors used to go into battle naked, you know.

Only the kids, and even then it's just because cloth gives the Dark One indigestion and he likes some exercise before he eats.
~~~~~~~~
We are currently 33% through the Trump administration.

Ensiferum
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 17, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Ensiferum » Thu May 30, 2013 9:10 pm

Ensiferum wrote:

Rainbow Dash is best pope.

Forster Keys
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Forster Keys » Thu May 30, 2013 9:19 pm

Ensiferum wrote:
United Kingdom of Muffins wrote:Support Pope Muffins in his campaigning to become actuall pope.

So many NSG antipopes. Fools. Only through me and my organisation can you find the truth..
The blue sky above beckons us to take our freedom, to paint our path across its vastness. Across a million blades of grass, through the roars of our elation and a thousand thundering hooves, we begin our reply.

The Duchy Of Grand Fenwick
Attaché

Founded: May 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Duchy Of Grand Fenwick » Thu May 30, 2013 9:22 pm

Forster Keys wrote:
Ensiferum wrote:

So many NSG antipopes. Fools. Only through me and my organisation can you find the truth..
Forster Keys wrote:
Ensiferum wrote:

I'm not claiming to be Pope of anything, just the title of Pope.
Archbishop Fenwick
United Kingdom Of Muffins Puppet

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Thu May 30, 2013 9:24 pm

The Duchy Of Grand Fenwick wrote:
Forster Keys wrote:
Forster Keys wrote:

*ahem?*
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Forster Keys
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Forster Keys » Thu May 30, 2013 9:25 pm

The Duchy Of Grand Fenwick wrote:
Forster Keys wrote:
Forster Keys wrote:

Your steak will be burned at!
The blue sky above beckons us to take our freedom, to paint our path across its vastness. Across a million blades of grass, through the roars of our elation and a thousand thundering hooves, we begin our reply.

The Duchy Of Grand Fenwick
Attaché

Founded: May 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Duchy Of Grand Fenwick » Thu May 30, 2013 9:26 pm

Forster Keys wrote:
The Duchy Of Grand Fenwick wrote:I'm not claiming to be Pope of anything, just the title of Pope.

Your steak will be burned at!

When I get my drivers license I'm putting that as my title.
Archbishop Fenwick
United Kingdom Of Muffins Puppet

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General