NATION

PASSWORD

Traveller's Café: Discussion, brainstorming & advice

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Do you support an opt-out of Gameplay (specifically R/D) for P2TM Regions?

Yes.
65%
Nah.
12%
I don't care.
22%

Total votes : 139

Altito Asmoro
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Altito Asmoro » Tue May 28, 2013 6:54 am

Nua Corda wrote:
Altito Asmoro wrote:
Le4rn?

le4rn, lern, l4rn, it's all the same. LulzSpeak for learn. E.g. l4rn 2 english, lern 2 driving, le4rn 2 crackrocks, etc.

And what about Shenanigans? Is it a Japanese word?
Stormwrath wrote:
Altito Asmoro wrote:You people can call me...AA. Or Alt.
Or Tito.

I'm calling you "non-aligned comrade."

A proud Nationalist
Winner for Best War RP of 2016

Nua Corda
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nua Corda » Tue May 28, 2013 6:58 am

Altito Asmoro wrote:
Nua Corda wrote:
le4rn, lern, l4rn, it's all the same. LulzSpeak for learn. E.g. l4rn 2 english, lern 2 driving, le4rn 2 crackrocks, etc.

Nope. American slang, referring to mischief or deceptive tricks, occasionally on the part of carnival stand operators. Popularized by South Park.
Call me Corda.
Sarcasm Warning! This post may not be entirely serious
Bullpups, Keymod and Magpul, oh my!
Bong Hits for Jesus!
Like Sci-Fi? Like Worldbuilding? Check out the Uprising Project!
Renegade for Life|Gun-toting Liberal. Because fuck stereotypes|Your friendly neighborhood gun nerd. Ask me anything!|Shameless Mass Effect Fan. I like Quarians a bit more than I should...|This nation is not a nation, and may or may not represent my views|I have been known to draw guns for folks, occasionally
Because people care, right?

Altito Asmoro
Post Czar

Founded: May 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Altito Asmoro » Tue May 28, 2013 6:59 am

Nua Corda wrote:
Altito Asmoro wrote:

Nope. American slang, referring to mischief or deceptive tricks, occasionally on the part of carnival stand operators. Popularized by South Park.

Just wondering.
Stormwrath wrote:
Altito Asmoro wrote:You people can call me...AA. Or Alt.
Or Tito.

I'm calling you "non-aligned comrade."

A proud Nationalist
Winner for Best War RP of 2016

Faas
Civil Servant

Founded: Apr 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Faas » Tue May 28, 2013 2:35 pm

From the Ashes he shall rise. He shall return soon.

OrigamiMaster
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby OrigamiMaster » Tue May 28, 2013 2:47 pm

Indo-pasif archipelago wrote:
OrigamiMaster wrote:Anyone read Falehaven? It is basically a spot where all mythical creatures are. It is basically an exotic animal preserve, but the animals are mythical. I kind of want to make an RP about it. What do you think?

I like to join,but i not read that.The only novel i read now is the secret of immortal Nicholas Flamel.I still hunting the sixth book.

Oh. It's a bit like that. There are mortals who are trying to keep the peace from total chaos. Except in this case, it's animals, not people.
당신은 당신의 시간이 번역을 낭비!
Economic: -5.25
Social: -2.21
Join Oceanside!
Me: ODsT?
Sauritican: Orbital Drop shock Troopers from Halo?
Me: What does a ring around an angel's head have to do with anything?
Sauritican: dat video game foo :p
Me: I guess you are also gonna tell me how "Call of Duty- Wet Wipes Revenge" is educational, too?

If I am not on, it is likely because I am doing RL stuff. Sorry!

Seraven
Senator

Founded: Jun 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Seraven » Wed May 29, 2013 6:56 am

Indo-pasif archipelago wrote:It's arrive.The beginning of the end are arrive.In this rp you can be god/goddes/Human (not usual human,But Human with power) try to either start DE plan or stop DE plan.The link are pn my sig.

Grammars.
Copper can change as its quality went down.
Gold can't change, for its quality never went down.
The Alma Mater wrote:
Seraven wrote:I know right! Whites enslaved the natives, they killed them, they converted them forcibly, they acted like a better human beings than the Muslims.

An excellent example of why allowing unrestricted immigration of people with a very different culture might not be the best idea ever :P

Nua Corda
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nua Corda » Wed May 29, 2013 7:21 am

Seraven wrote:
Indo-pasif archipelago wrote:It's arrive.The beginning of the end are arrive.In this rp you can be god/goddes/Human (not usual human,But Human with power) try to either start DE plan or stop DE plan.The link are pn my sig.

Grammars.

Grammars? Boi, where we're going, we don't need no grammars! This is teh interbutz, teh gr4mm4rs is for f41lzors!
Call me Corda.
Sarcasm Warning! This post may not be entirely serious
Bullpups, Keymod and Magpul, oh my!
Bong Hits for Jesus!
Like Sci-Fi? Like Worldbuilding? Check out the Uprising Project!
Renegade for Life|Gun-toting Liberal. Because fuck stereotypes|Your friendly neighborhood gun nerd. Ask me anything!|Shameless Mass Effect Fan. I like Quarians a bit more than I should...|This nation is not a nation, and may or may not represent my views|I have been known to draw guns for folks, occasionally
Because people care, right?

Agritum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Agritum » Wed May 29, 2013 8:14 am

Monthly Report of the Portal

Academies. Academies everywhere.
I just counted 5 on P2TM (including Elfen High), but I suspect that there may be more. Well, Elfen High actually doesn't really fit within the RP genre I'll describe in the following paragraphs.

So, what's an Academy/School RP? An Academy RP usually takes place in a school. Usually an anormal school, with the students either being superpowered people, magical creatures, aliens and all that jazz. Some actually take place in our normal, boring world, with normal, boring students. Ugh.

The plot of such a RP usually isn't much elaborate. It usually is something alike "students meet at school. Shit happens.", and sometimes the actual plot stops right here. The survival of this type of RP usually depends on the ability of the OP to keep things interesting, via such methods as classes, villains, special events, and shit like that, other than dumb luck when it comedmto the RPers.

Because, sadly, this type of RP is an absurd magnet for noobs, whetever they be OPs or RPers. And this is why I'm hereby writing this small checklist, to help anyone wanting to seriously start such a RP:

1) Try to give good background story and information to your school and the universe it is situated in. Writing "OK THIS IS A RP ABOUT A MAGIC SCHOOL AND THERE ARE WIZARDS" and then passing immediately to writing the character apps is just cheap.

2) Put regulations to avoid Godmodding. Close the RP when you think that the number of RPers is unmanageable. KEEP A LIST OF THE RPERS. Obligate everyone to submit an RP sample of theirs. If they haven't got one, tell them to write a short passage regarding their character and then evaluate it.

3) Keep things interesting: churn out events, classes, highschool shit, ya know. If you already feel non-plussed about RPing classes, then why the fuck you even made an RP about a school? There are plenty of places and situations were teenaged people can form groups or interact together without the need of a school subtext. Summer camps, for example.

4) Don't be afraid to use timeskips to liven up things. Don't be ambitious (I mean, I once saw some noobs that wanted to RP a whole five years of school and failed miserably). If you and your RPers start to feel bored about the setting, you could either create an holiday event or chapter, or change the whole setting of the RP by making them....well, graduate school?

Jessjohnesik
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Jessjohnesik » Wed May 29, 2013 8:28 am

Agritum wrote:Monthly Report of the Portal

I just counted 5 on P2TM (including Elfen High), but I suspect that there may be more. Well, Elfen High actually doesn't really fit within the RP genre I'll describe in the following paragraphs.

So, what's an Academy/School RP? An Academy RP usually takes place in a school. Usually an anormal school, with the students either being superpowered people, magical creatures, aliens and all that jazz. Some actually take place in our normal, boring world, with normal, boring students. Ugh.

The plot of such a RP usually isn't much elaborate. It usually is something alike "students meet at school. Shit happens.", and sometimes the actual plot stops right here. The survival of this type of RP usually depends on the ability of the OP to keep things interesting, via such methods as classes, villains, special events, and shit like that, other than dumb luck when it comedmto the RPers.

Because, sadly, this type of RP is an absurd magnet for noobs, whetever they be OPs or RPers. And this is why I'm hereby writing this small checklist, to help anyone wanting to seriously start such a RP:

1) Try to give good background story and information to your school and the universe it is situated in. Writing "OK THIS IS A RP ABOUT A MAGIC SCHOOL AND THERE ARE WIZARDS" and then passing immediately to writing the character apps is just cheap.

2) Put regulations to avoid Godmodding. Close the RP when you think that the number of RPers is unmanageable. KEEP A LIST OF THE RPERS. Obligate everyone to submit an RP sample of theirs. If they haven't got one, tell them to write a short passage regarding their character and then evaluate it.

3) Keep things interesting: churn out events, classes, highschool shit, ya know. If you already feel non-plussed about RPing classes, then why the fuck you even made an RP about a school? There are plenty of places and situations were teenaged people can form groups or interact together without the need of a school subtext. Summer camps, for example.

4) Don't be afraid to use timeskips to liven up things. Don't be ambitious (I mean, I once saw some noobs that wanted to RP a whole five years of school and failed miserably). If you and your RPers start to feel bored about the setting, you could either create an holiday event or chapter, or change the whole setting of the RP by making them....well, graduate school?

What about other RPs?
ಠ_ಠ Proud owner of the Mystery Genre RPer award 2014!!
Pro: Science, environmentalism, equal rights, const. monarchy, mixed economy, Scientocracy, abortion, Western Europe, NZ, Japan, Australia, Nordic countries, SKorea, EU, immigration control, Merkel, Buddhism, Israel, centrism, eurofederalism, GMOs, soft euroscepticism
Against: Biophobia, social Conservatism, excessive militarism/pacifism, hedonism, totalitarianism, anarchism, fascism, communism, feminism SJWs/BLM, corruption, Islam, Christianity, Palestine, nazism, Russia, Arab League, Saudi Arabia, Greece, traditionalism, moralism, UKIP, uncontrolled immigration
Political Graph

I wonder if you're the worst person I've ever met; at a certain age it's hard to recall... ~ Olenna to Cersei,Game of Thrones

Agritum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Agritum » Wed May 29, 2013 8:29 am

Jessjohnesik wrote:
Agritum wrote:Monthly Report of the Portal

What about other RPs?

Too lazy to write about them.

Jessjohnesik
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Jessjohnesik » Wed May 29, 2013 10:01 am

Agritum wrote:
Jessjohnesik wrote:What about other RPs?

Too lazy to write about them.

*slides cash towards Agritum*
What about now? I heard there was this really good RP called The Rising. *wink*
Pro: Science, environmentalism, equal rights, const. monarchy, mixed economy, Scientocracy, abortion, Western Europe, NZ, Japan, Australia, Nordic countries, SKorea, EU, immigration control, Merkel, Buddhism, Israel, centrism, eurofederalism, GMOs, soft euroscepticism
Against: Biophobia, social Conservatism, excessive militarism/pacifism, hedonism, totalitarianism, anarchism, fascism, communism, feminism SJWs/BLM, corruption, Islam, Christianity, Palestine, nazism, Russia, Arab League, Saudi Arabia, Greece, traditionalism, moralism, UKIP, uncontrolled immigration
Political Graph

I wonder if you're the worst person I've ever met; at a certain age it's hard to recall... ~ Olenna to Cersei,Game of Thrones

Agritum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Agritum » Wed May 29, 2013 10:03 am

Jessjohnesik wrote:
Agritum wrote:Too lazy to write about them.

*slides cash towards Agritum*

I don't advertise RPs for other people, man.

Jessjohnesik
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Jessjohnesik » Wed May 29, 2013 10:06 am

Agritum wrote:
Jessjohnesik wrote:*slides cash towards Agritum*

I don't advertise RPs for other people, man.

Mmkay.
How come these Academy RPs are so popular? I find them uninteresting.
Political Graph

Agritum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Agritum » Wed May 29, 2013 10:08 am

Jessjohnesik wrote:
Agritum wrote:I don't advertise RPs for other people, man.

Mmkay.

Bandwagons.

Gvozdevsk
Minister

Founded: Dec 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Gvozdevsk » Wed May 29, 2013 10:08 am

I kind of want to make an RP where we take on the role of Israeli conscripts. It sounds like a boring typical military RP, but realistically all the characters wouldn't be special forces badasses. We could have maybe a couple special forces characters in the RP, but for the most part the characters would all be kids who in most other developed countries would be in post-secondary education. So I imagine that we could get a pretty good variety of characters. But really I know because this is a military RP everyone is going to make a character who's a total badass and/or wants to be a career soldier in the IDF and join a special forces unit. How can I prevent this?

And realistically, I know it probably won't be that successful because if the rest of the internet is anything to go by, NS probably has a massive hate-on for Israel.

Jessjohnesik
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Jessjohnesik » Wed May 29, 2013 10:10 am

Agritum wrote:
Jessjohnesik wrote:Mmkay.

Bandwagons.

What is a bandwagon?
Political Graph

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Wed May 29, 2013 10:35 am

Jessjohnesik wrote:
Agritum wrote:Bandwagons.

What is a bandwagon?

The Second Cataclysm: My New RP

Roll Them Bones: A Guide to Dice RPs

My mommy says I'm special.
Add 37 to my post count for my previous nation.

Copy and paste this into your signature if you're a unique and special individual who won't conform to another person's demands.

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Esternial » Wed May 29, 2013 10:39 am

Olthar wrote:
Jessjohnesik wrote:What is a bandwagon?

Hmm...

As for an actual answer:

Academy RPs appear popular nowadays. People see it and rather than join one want to make one of their own so they can use the genre's momentum to rake in participants.

Well that's my take on it.
Last edited by Esternial on Wed May 29, 2013 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Agritum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Agritum » Wed May 29, 2013 11:06 am

Esternial wrote:
Olthar wrote:Image

Hmm...

As for an actual answer:

Academy RPs appear popular nowadays. People see it and rather than join one want to make one of their own so they can use the genre's momentum to rake in participants.

They're also quite easy to create, OP-wise.

The Tiger Kingdom
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Tiger Kingdom » Wed May 29, 2013 11:11 am

Gvozdevsk wrote:I kind of want to make an RP where we take on the role of Israeli conscripts. It sounds like a boring typical military RP, but realistically all the characters wouldn't be special forces badasses. We could have maybe a couple special forces characters in the RP, but for the most part the characters would all be kids who in most other developed countries would be in post-secondary education. So I imagine that we could get a pretty good variety of characters. But really I know because this is a military RP everyone is going to make a character who's a total badass and/or wants to be a career soldier in the IDF and join a special forces unit. How can I prevent this?

And realistically, I know it probably won't be that successful because if the rest of the internet is anything to go by, NS probably has a massive hate-on for Israel.

Plenty of people here are fine with Israel, myself included.
I mean, opinion of what you're RPing isn't much of an impediment, people RP as Nazis all the time.

And the best way to keep things that grounded? Make your rules and definitions clear, and don't be afraid to call out when something seems "too badass". Honestly, though people do often RP to be badass and to blow shit apart and save the day to a screaming guitar solo soundtrack (AND THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT INHERENTLY DON'T JUDGE ME), so expect to call people out often.
When the war is over
Got to start again
Try to hold a trace of what it was back then
You and I we sent each other stories
Just a page I'm lost in all its glory
How can I go home and not get blown away

Gvozdevsk
Minister

Founded: Dec 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Gvozdevsk » Wed May 29, 2013 1:00 pm

The Tiger Kingdom wrote:
Gvozdevsk wrote:I kind of want to make an RP where we take on the role of Israeli conscripts. It sounds like a boring typical military RP, but realistically all the characters wouldn't be special forces badasses. We could have maybe a couple special forces characters in the RP, but for the most part the characters would all be kids who in most other developed countries would be in post-secondary education. So I imagine that we could get a pretty good variety of characters. But really I know because this is a military RP everyone is going to make a character who's a total badass and/or wants to be a career soldier in the IDF and join a special forces unit. How can I prevent this?

Plenty of people here are fine with Israel, myself included.
I mean, opinion of what you're RPing isn't much of an impediment, people RP as Nazis all the time.

And the best way to keep things that grounded? Make your rules and definitions clear, and don't be afraid to call out when something seems "too badass". Honestly, though people do often RP to be badass and to blow shit apart and save the day to a screaming guitar solo soundtrack (AND THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT INHERENTLY DON'T JUDGE ME), so expect to call people out often.

What I'm more worried about in the badass department is everyone wanting to be snipers and special forces operators. If they aren't total noobs, people are generally decent at keeping the action mostly realistic. But I don't know if I should just limit snipers and special forces, or straight up say no snipers and special forces at all and have designated marksmen be the closest thing to a sniper allowed and the infantry brigade's reconnaissance company being the closest thing to special forces allowed

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Wed May 29, 2013 4:28 pm

Agritum wrote:
Esternial wrote:Hmm...

As for an actual answer:

They're also quite easy to create, OP-wise.

Hey, I put effort in.

Though Elfen High probably dropped the academy label long ago. Only name only at this point.
Hi! I'm Khan, your local misanthropic Indian.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM RP Discussion Thread
If you want a good rp, read this shit.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

The Ferret Revolution
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Ferret Revolution » Wed May 29, 2013 8:58 pm

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:
Agritum wrote:They're also quite easy to create, OP-wise.

Hey, I put effort in.

Though Elfen High probably dropped the academy label long ago. Only name only at this point.

I put a hell of a lot of effort into both of mine thank you very much 8)
We're all mad here.
I myself am strange and unusual.
No I am not a monster... just a horribly misunderstood dinosaur.
Am I demented or are we disturbed? The place that's in between insane and insecure.
I'm everyone's favorite punk rock zombie potato ferret dinosaur and if you disagree I'll stab you with a spoon.

The Ferret Revolution
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Ferret Revolution » Wed May 29, 2013 9:14 pm

Also just putting it out there Sylvan has an extremely well drawn out plot. We don't just walk around and do random things and then suddenly someone is evil. I actually spend more time working on the plot than I do academy life although classes and such are still a large part of it.
We're all mad here.
I myself am strange and unusual.
No I am not a monster... just a horribly misunderstood dinosaur.
Am I demented or are we disturbed? The place that's in between insane and insecure.
I'm everyone's favorite punk rock zombie potato ferret dinosaur and if you disagree I'll stab you with a spoon.

Corvus Metallum
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Corvus Metallum » Wed May 29, 2013 9:19 pm

Anyone want to start an Animorphs RP? I love the books and was wondering if anyone else would be interested in an RP.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse