NATION

PASSWORD

PASSED: Humanitarian Aid Coordination

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

PASSED: Humanitarian Aid Coordination

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:55 am

GENERAL ASSEMBLY

Humanitarian Aid Coordination
A resolution to reduce income inequality and increase basic welfare.

Category: Social Justice | Strength: Significant | Proposed by: Charlotte Ryberg

Description: The World Assembly,

RECOGNIZING and applauding the existence of many specialized Disaster Relief Agencies (DRAs), both at domestic and/or international level, that strive to provide humanitarian aid, recovery efforts and support to civilians affected by disasters, whose livelihoods may have been destroyed;

CONCERNED that without proper coordinated national and/or international management of humanitarian aid, there may be duplications, delays or other inefficiencies in disaster relief efforts;

BELIEVES that:
- Proper management of the coordination of humanitarian aid will improve the efficiency of humanitarian aid efforts by the DRAs;
- The independence of the DRAs must be preserved to prevent corruption of the humanitarian aid system;

DEFINES for the purpose of this resolution:
- A Disaster as an event caused by man or nature, either of which that causes large scale death and/or destruction to lives and/or livelihoods;
- A Disaster Relief Agency as an organization that provides humanitarian aid, search-and-rescue services, reconstruction and restoration, or other services to relieve suffering, help civilians affected, or otherwise bring a disaster situation back to normalcy;

Hereby,

1. REQUIRES Member states to:
a) Have reasonable and adequate action plans to prepare for, cope with and recover from a variety of foreseeable and realistic disasters;
b) Evaluate and test developed action plans at reasonable and regular intervals and implement all improvements in that the evaluation suggests that can be reasonably accomplished;
c) Stockpile reasonable and adequate supplies for humanitarian aid distribution to civilians to cover immediate and urgent needs in accordance to the developed action plans;

2. ESTABLISHES the International Humanitarian Aid Coordination Committee (IHACC), whose duty is to:
a) Coordinate humanitarian aid to civilians affected by disasters in all member states;
b) Provide assistance in recovery efforts as requested by affected nations, should the IHACC hold the necessary knowledge and resources;

3. PROVIDES for the independence of the DRAs operating under the co-ordination and auspices of the IHACC and in co-operation with the affected nation(s), while respecting the laws and customs of the affected nations(s) while operating within said nation(s);

4. DIRECTS the IHACC to:
a) Provide accurate and truthful reports on the situation of disasters globally and identify areas where their assistance would best be allocated based on the ability of member states and DRAs to cope with an ongoing disaster;
b) Provide training and education to the DRAs and civilians of member states in preparedness for a disaster;

5. EXPECTS the IHACC, member states and DRAs to fairly manage and prioritize the coordination of humanitarian aid and recovery efforts to victims of disasters;

6. PROVIDES for a member state to:
a) Declare a disaster to be officially over within their territory;
b) Determine whether to permit a foreign DRA to continue the recovery operations in their territory under the conditions laid out in Article 3;

7. PROVIDES for a foreign DRA to cease operations if it feels that a disaster situation has returned to normalcy;

8. URGES member states and DRAs to:
a) Work with non-member states in the same manner as they would with member states when they are affected by disasters;
b) Share recovery plans and assist other member states through the halls of the IHACC.

Voting commenced at 6am BST on 26 June 2009.

See also:
Discussion of the Draft
Last edited by Sirocco on Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:13 am, edited 9 times in total.

Goobergunchia
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Re: QUEUED: Humanitarian Aid Coordination (Official Thread)

Postby Goobergunchia » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:33 pm

The PRESIDING OFFICER: It being the appropriate hour, the Clerk will redesignate the resolution now pending before the World Assembly.

The READING CLERK reported the title of the resolution:

Humanitarian Aid Coordination, a resolution to significantly reduce income inequality and increase basic welfare, proposed by the Mind of Charlotte Ryberg.

The PRESIDING OFFICER: Voting on this resolution will end on Mon Jun 29 2009.

The Chair recognizes the ambassador from Goobergunchia.

Ms. Zapfkoro (GOOBERGUNCHIA): For the information of all ambassadors, discussion regarding the drafting and approval of this resolution can be found at 3rd Forum 20270 et seq. As we of the Liberal Unitary Republic have not fully reviewed this resolution yet, I yield the floor.
Last edited by Goobergunchia on Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(+5175 posts from mostly pre-Jolt)
Making NationStates a different place since 17 May 2003.
ADN Advisor (Ret.)
Nasicournian Officer
Citizen of the Rejected Realms
Discord: Goobergunch#2417
Ideological Bulwark #16
Sponsor, HR#22, SC#4
Rules: GA SC
NS Game Moderator
For your forum moderation needs: The Moderation Forum
For your in-game moderation needs: The Getting Help Page
What are the rules? See the OSRS.
Who are the mods, anyway?

Charlotte Ryberg

Civil Rights Lovefest

Re: QUEUED: Humanitarian Aid Coordination (Official Thread)

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:06 am

The READING CLERK: May I present the delegate to the Mind of Charlotte Ryberg, Ms. Sarah Harper.

Ms. SARAH HARPER: I am addressing the General Assembly at a undeniably difficult time and many of you will have, or just about learnt the sudden and tragic death of Michael Jackson last night. However, the business of the World Assembly must go on and therefore the resolution at vote is a humanitarian aid resolution with lessons learnt. Under the new resolution, a Disaster Relief Agency (formerly referred to as an Non-Governmental Organisation) is formally defined within the resolution and is guaranteed independence when operating under the co-ordination and auspices of the IHACC and in co-operation with affected member states. The funding clauses which caused controversy to the operation of the ICRC in Coordinating Relief Aid have been eliminated; the IHACC is established without dictating how it is funded, as the mystical beings will be responsible for the finances of the IHACC.

In addition to the changes, member states are required to establish contingency plans to counter, cope and recover from a variety of foreseeable and realistic disasters. It is hoped that the introduction of compulsory contingency plans will reduce the impact of disasters on civilian livelihoods and the consequential demands on both affected member states, the IHACC and DRAs. Having stated the large level of reforms, the strength of Humanitarian Aid Coordination is a level higher than its predecessor.

Nevertheless, large-scale disasters will happen, and upon passage there be the unity of the IHACC, the willing DRAs and volunteering member states to help those affected.

The PRESIDING OFFICER: It is very difficult to stay away from a tragic death of such a famous star which many ambassadors know well, love him or hate him, but the business of the World Assembly does go on and it is the recommendation that all attending representatives stick to the debate as best as they can. For those who want to go into further detail about his death, this is the thread.
Last edited by Charlotte Ryberg on Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Glen-Rhodes
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Re: AT VOTE: Humanitarian Aid Coordination (Official Thread)

Postby Glen-Rhodes » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:33 am

(OOC: Do I spot some copy-and-paste left-overs? "RECOGNIZING the player of Kandarin as a leader in various aspects of NationStates." :P)

Al-Aqar
Attaché

Founded: Jan 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Al-Aqar » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:50 am

OOC: I was wondering about that as well...
M. Ilyich
The Peoples' Republic of Al-Aqar
Political Compass:
Economic -9.38
Social -7.95

Avenio wrote:The gov'ment dun took ma baybay!!! Thayre comm'nist tayxes done took mah libertays! I ahm gonna geet mah gun and tayke back mah baybay aynd mah tayxes!

Tubbsalot wrote:Yes, the success of a generation should be judged solely by how well they can murder people. I'll get on to the UN about that right away.

Charlotte Ryberg

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:51 am

The READING CLERK: Sarah Harper's fixed it now. That's the trouble with logistics when going from one council to another, but most get used to it eventually.
Last edited by Charlotte Ryberg on Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Zemnaya Svoboda
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 06, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Zemnaya Svoboda » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:50 am

Elena Petrovna (ZEMNAYA SVOBODA): "While President Menshikov does not wish to see the World Assembly's budget expanded like this, after lengthy consultations with my government and a threat of a vote of no confidence by the Svoboda Sobstvennosty representatives in the Congressional Humanitarian Aid Proponents Caucus, I have been authorized to vote in favour of this Resolution. I support this Resolution's aims to save endangered lives, and encourage others to vote in favour as well. We will be seeking support in the North Pacific as well."

The Palentine
Diplomat

Founded: May 18, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Palentine » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:14 am

Ahh, its good to finally have a piece of legislation to debate here in the festering snakepit. I was afraid I was going to run out of booze and cigars, before the next debate. Anyway, I wish to state that the Palentine is opposed to this resolution. Its nice enough, and international in scope, but I really dislike social justice proposals. After all, I've aquired a certian reputation for having Barbaric Militant Machismo(TM), and if I favor resolutions such as this one, some of my fellow ambassadors, here in the festering snakepit, might think me softer than a sneakerfull of grits. :p However as always I am open to persuation. By now, y'all know the sales pitch, my hobbies, and my vices, so if you would like me to change my vote, then make me a sufficient and signifigant offer.
Excelsior,
Sen. Horatio Sulla
"definately NOT softer than a sneakerfull of grits."
"There aren't quite as many irredeemable folks as everyone thinks."
-The Dourian Embassy

"Yeah, but some (like Sen. Sulla) have to count for, like 20 or 30 all by themselves."
-Hack

Absolvability
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Absolvability » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:24 am

Zemnaya Svoboda wrote:While President Menshikov does not wish to see the World Assembly's budget expanded like this,

It pleases me to see that the governing body of Zemnaya Svoboda has decided, after debate, to support this resolution as represented today by Elena Petrovna. The Rogue Nation of Absolvability will also be supporting this.

I'm not so sure that this is a terribly expensive venture for the World Assembly, either. The IHACC seems to be charged with making reports, and provide qualified training, and enhance efficiency via coordination of DRA and member-national efforts. As such, the costs are fairly spread about, leaving the IHACC with a manageable duty and member-nations with a cost that... if I'm permitted to be self-righteous for a moment... they should've already alotted for this very purpose.

In short, I see this resolution as "doing well with what we have," rather than asking for a lot of help from any particular person.
Antonius Veloci
Ambassador of The Event Horizon of Absolvability

Zylbedossnia
Envoy

Founded: May 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Zylbedossnia » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:42 am

Zylbedossnia votes against this resolution for the following reasons

1) the fact that we have to put resources into something like this takes away power to spend those resources other places.
2) it's a very controlling resolution and in the interest of power it takes away just that
3) It's somewhat of a weak resolution and provides no actual plan for setting up organizations merely stating it is a nations duty to assist in the recovery of the same nation which is already a duty of the government
4) It's also weak in the sense that if a nation has already established a agency to help with disaster relief it provides no expansion to this and provides no plan for disaster relief

In conclusion this resolution does not stand as nations already have an agency to support disaster relief, and having one should be a choice made by the nation in question and not an international assembly.

Sadiston
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sadiston » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:02 pm

Sadiston withdraws argument.
Last edited by Sadiston on Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Land of 7
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Land of 7 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:15 pm

Zylbedossnia wrote:Zylbedossnia votes against this resolution for the following reasons

1) the fact that we have to put resources into something like this takes away power to spend those resources other places.
2) it's a very controlling resolution and in the interest of power it takes away just that
3) It's somewhat of a weak resolution and provides no actual plan for setting up organizations merely stating it is a nations duty to assist in the recovery of the same nation which is already a duty of the government
4) It's also weak in the sense that if a nation has already established a agency to help with disaster relief it provides no expansion to this and provides no plan for disaster relief

In conclusion this resolution does not stand as nations already have an agency to support disaster relief, and having one should be a choice made by the nation in question and not an international assembly.

I completely agree. This has no bases for a sound plan of action and it will hurt the low power regions because they will have to donate resources they do not have to help these people. But when these poor countries donate they will be in trouble so they will need aid therefore this is just a self perpetuating problem.

AND IT WILL ALL BE FROM THIS BILL

Sadiston
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Sadiston » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:21 pm

Last edited by Sadiston on Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Gotheria
Civilian

Ex-Nation

Postby Gotheria » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:07 pm

Gotheria is strongly against this resolution. It takes away rights from the smaller nations. Vote against the Humanitarian Aid Coordination.

The Land of 7
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Land of 7 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:32 pm

The Land of 7 has voted down this resolution

Reasons:

1. My nation is just staring out. It is low on resources despite the thriving economy. Because of this resolution I will have to give aid to little countries like me throwing me into a depression. Then because my nation will be in a horrid state any WA member reading this will have to help me but then you will go into economic turmoil because you will have to supply the original countries plus me. This bill will create a perpetual cycle of depressions slowly tearing down every economy in the WA making the WA a powerless being.

2. This is selective to only help big nations. The big nations will relatively not be hurt economically but as I explained the little nations will. In order to escape economic destruction the new nations will have to drop out of the WA to quit giving aid so only large nations will be in the WA. This would make the WA a complete plutocracy in the WA

3. This would take away the decision of a country to chose which nation to give help to. This bill does not specify a nation can dictate where their aid will go. They just have to pay. Also it does not specify when it will be handed out or by who so much of our material maybe not be reaching its destination

Vote down this resolution for economic security

Bob987909
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Bob987909 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:40 pm

Seeing this issue I have to agree with The Land of 7.

It would most definitely drain my economy also many other's economy.

Sadiston
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Sadiston » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:50 pm

Last edited by Sadiston on Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

New Rockport
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby New Rockport » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:41 pm

I have re-read this resolution and have had my legal staff look at it and am unable to find anything in it that would work to the disadvantage of smaller nations. We might all be missing something though. Perhaps my esteemed colleagues from Sadiston, Gotheria, and the Land of 7 can point to the specific language in the resolution that they find objectionable.

Respectfully submitted,
Silvana Rossi
Ambassador to the World Assembly
Republic of New Rockport
The Federal Republic of New Rockport

Sadiston
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Sadiston » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:55 pm

Last edited by Sadiston on Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

New Rockport
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby New Rockport » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:34 pm

Sadiston wrote:However I do strongly agree with The Land of 7 in believing this resolution will make Smaller nations lose power, and money.

How? Please point to the specific provision in the resolution that you believe would work to the disadvantage of smaller nations.

Sadiston wrote:Every nation in the WA would have to contribute to the stockpile, which is outrageous when the stockpile will go to nations who are not even in the WA.

I assume you are referring to the stockpile requirement in Section 1 (c). My understanding is that this would require each nation to maintain a domestic stockpile of emergency supplies, rather than mandating contributions to an international stockpile.

Respectfully submitted,
Silvana Rossi
Ambassador to the World Assembly
Republic of New Rockport
The Federal Republic of New Rockport

Mikertaz Kein
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Mikertaz Kein » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:07 pm

I am a small newer nation and I see nothing wrong with this plan. As a nation with no endorsements, my vote matters little, but I feel it is needed that at least one small nation supports this bill. In all of this draft, I have seen no intention to weaken or restrict any nation. In fact, I find that it causes more good than harm, almost exponentially.

I hope to see more small nations that agree with me...

Sadiston
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Sadiston » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:10 pm

Last edited by Sadiston on Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zemnaya Svoboda
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 06, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Zemnaya Svoboda » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:38 pm

Elena looked askance at the Sadistonian representative. "Under what circumstances could you possibly describe the Soyedinyonniyi Schati as Socialist, I wonder?"

Mikertaz Kein
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Mikertaz Kein » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:39 pm

How does it even begin to oppress WA members? Most people already meet the requirements set forth in this resolution, and those who don't must realize that not only is it necessary, it is dirt cheap! How much does it cost to stockpile what you nations military already has in great surplus. For me, it would only require a 4% increase in tax for a two year period. And this is coming from a nation that has but 50 million people! Yes, my tax rate is already 47%, but it really costs so little.

Edit: Even if you somehow cannot attain these requirements, the resolution also states that you complete it 'within reason'. This means that the WA will not force you to bankrupt yourself in order to meet requirements, but merely to do what you can with what you have.
Last edited by Mikertaz Kein on Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pandemicia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pandemicia » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:41 pm

The government of Pandemicia votes for this resolution. This resolution greatly helps smaller nations in times of need. There are many nations that need humanitarian aid, and this resolution will help the WA in getting aid to those nations. This billis crutial for the survival of many small nations that desperatly need help.
Economic Left/Right: -5.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.10

ALWAYS Trollin'

Party all night long in the: UDL

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives