NATION

PASSWORD

Gay marriages....now what about siblings parents or animals?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:26 pm

Agymnum wrote:
Conkerials wrote:Neither did gays or blacks..... This is how it all begins.

Gays and blacks are sapient. Animals are not, to our knowledge.

If they were, and capable of signing legal contracts and understanding them, I don't see the issue.

Sapient? That is not an NSG term.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Agymnum
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 31, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Agymnum » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:27 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Agymnum wrote:

If they were, and capable of signing legal contracts and understanding them, I don't see the issue.

If we start talking sentience, even plants could arguably get in on the whole equal rights shit.

I prefer sapience.
Glorious puppet of Highfort

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity

Postby The Black Forrest » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:30 pm

Agymnum wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

If we start talking sentience, even plants could arguably get in on the whole equal rights shit.

I prefer sapience.

I think you can find endless examples of people who are not sapient.

Animal wise the aregument tends to go for being self-aware.

Legal contracts are not really a measurement. If there isn't a need for them for example.....
Last edited by The Black Forrest on Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Tsuntion
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Tsuntion » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:37 am

The Broken Imperial Sector wrote:I wouldn't doubt, it when the real sickos ask to be allowed to marry their dogs and cats or brothers and sisters.

I'm sure your siblings, if you have any, will be pleased to know that you think them of equal intelligence, capacity, and value to dogs or cats.
I'm not a roleplayer, but check these out: The United Defenders League and The Versutian Federation.

The Emerald Dawn wrote:Jumpin' on the SOURCE-TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO MUFUKA! We be ridin' the rails, checkin' the trails, you get nothin' and your argument fails!

Myrensis
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2010

Postby Myrensis » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:46 am

Conkerials wrote:
Agymnum wrote:

I'm sure someone would find a way to get animals to get civil rights, in way, to get them to be able to make their own decisions some how. I personally find liberalism* disgusting in that sense, some people take it too far. When I say 'take it too far' I am not referring to blacks or gays... More so to bestiality or incest.

*I really mean Ultra-liberalism

I think you'll find a lot of people are disgusted by you considering gays and blacks to be no better than animals.

Man, this discussion is bringing all sorts of interesting people out of the woodwork.
Last edited by Myrensis on Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Person012345
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Person012345 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:15 am

Screensaver wrote:This one of the reasons I oppose liberalism. I am in favor of same-sex marriage and LGBT rights but that is a single issue which will no longer exist when equality is fully implemented. Liberalism on the other hand is a dangerous ideology (just as dangerous as conservatism). It moves like a glacier down a slippery slope. There are already some movements (which sadly seem to be growing) in liberalism that support things such as legalizing bestiality, pedophilic relationships, and other sick things. As long as the liberals maintain their grip on the LGBT community there will be no stopping this slippery slope. The only way to stop it is to sever the liberal movement's grip on LGBT rights by getting more and more non-liberals to prominently support LGBT rights. However this is easier said than done.

Opposing liberalism on the grounds that it's liberalism is JUST as ideological.

What you should do is, support liberalism in as far as it supports you. When it tries to go further, work against it. This blind knee-jerk reactionism against "liberal" is moronic. And if you're only supporting LGBT so that you can "break dem ebil liberals grip on LGBT" then you're an idiot.

Lyassa and Nairoa
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 29, 2006
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Lyassa and Nairoa » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:17 am

Indira wrote:Maybe I'm missing something here, but how the hell do you go from gay marriage to incest/bestiality etc?

Well, that´s just the way it is now. It´s a Pandora´s Box called liberalism and "the right to do whatever you want as long as it doesn´t harm anyone else, even if it´s wrong by all the well founded values that suddenly mean nothing".
A sign of the times. Freedom and consent to do the most abominable things. We should start learning to live with it.

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Founded: May 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:20 am

Lyassa and Nairoa wrote:Well, that´s just the way it is now. It´s a Pandora´s Box called liberalism and "the right to do whatever you want as long as it doesn´t harm anyone else, even if it´s wrong by all the well founded values that suddenly mean nothing".

As many sets of values as people in the world. Some have different value than others depending on the person.

The problem is when people try to impose their arbitrary set of values to everybody else.

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jul 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:21 am

Tsuntion wrote:
Ailiailia wrote:I'm with you up to living/dead.

<snipped for space>

Interesting way of putting it; I had heard such a proposition before, but realising it is just meat makes me more okay with someone having sex with a dead person under those conditions. However, a dead person still can't enter into marriage.

Exactly. It would be like a person marrying a leg of lamb. Or a mushroom. It is even more absurd than marrying a gold bar or a piece of antique furniture, because the dead thing will quickly change its nature.

Unless it was kept in the freezer.

Officer Flatfoot: "Good evening Mr Tess-un-err. Good evening sir. Is your wife at home?"
Tsuntion: "Yes she is. May I ask what this is about?"
Officer Flatfoot: "We have recieved reports about a possible crime committed against your wife, and wish to interview her with a view to--"
Tsuntion: "Sure. Come on in."
Officer Flatfoot: "Thank you, mister er, sir."
Tsuntion: "No problem. She's just through here."
[Officer Flatfoot follows Tsuntion to the cellar]
Officer Flatfoot: "Pardon me sir, but is your wife present here? This seems to be a storage area."
Tsuntion: "She's just over there, in the deep freeze. To keep her from rotting."
Officer Flatfoot: "I never wanted to be a cop. I wanted to be a lumberjack! Well I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK! I sleep all night and I work all day!!"
My name is voiced AIL-EE-AIL-EE-AH. My time zone: UTC.

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
: eugenics :
What are the colons meant to convey here?
In my experience Colons usually convey shit

NSG junkie. Getting good shit for free, why would I give it up?

Person012345
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Person012345 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:22 am

Lyassa and Nairoa wrote:
Indira wrote:Maybe I'm missing something here, but how the hell do you go from gay marriage to incest/bestiality etc?

Well, that´s just the way it is now. It´s a Pandora´s Box called liberalism and "the right to do whatever you want as long as it doesn´t harm anyone else, even if it´s wrong by all the well founded values that suddenly mean nothing".
A sign of the times. Freedom and consent to do the most abominable things. We should start learning to live with it.

HURR MY INVISIBLE FRIEND SAYS HE DOESN'T LIKE IT WHEN YOU DO CERTAIN THINGS SO I MUST STOP YOU FROM DOING THEM.

Noone gives a fuck about your dumbass definition of "abominable".

Great Empire of Gamilus
Senator

Founded: Apr 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Empire of Gamilus » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:26 am

Solmakia wrote:I feel like It's going to come up sooner or later.

As far as I can tell, Liberals are pushing for more and more civil liberties (which isn't necessarily a good or bad thing) and eventually, this is going to come up. Years ago, inter racial marriages were unacceptable, and I'm sure gay marriage was just...unthinkable at the point. Now, we have inter racial marriage, and gay marriage is starting to rise in most of the world except for a few nations that are refusing to let go.

But what next? What about a man and his dog? Should they get married? Or what about a man and his son? Or a brother and sister? When is it too much? How far are people going to be allowed? What should be allowed? I'm personally undecided on the issue of what a marriage really means, but what do you guys think about sibling, inter special or other kinds of bizarre civil unions?

its people like you that make me wish I was a dog... seriously at least I would not understand the shit you are vomiting all over the place, and I think you were born in the wrong century, if your looking for homophobic and racist audiances please go back to the middle ages where the catholic arseholes were murdering children and women by the thousands and sending millions of Europeans off to the middle east just because they had unresolved issues that Jesus was middle eastern.

get with the program, society is changing, if you can't keep up you will be killed off like an unneeded member of the pack...
Do you hear the posters sing?
Singing the song of angry men?
It is the music of the short OP
that won't be seen again!

When the mods find this OP
Then this thread will be no more,
But the song will be sung again
When another comes!

OP, do you know the way?
Know the way to fix your post?
Just add details and sources to spark
Debate on these forums.

Otherwise this thread is doomed
Doomed to death by modly wrath
NSG will pick up and move on
'Till another comes!

--The Klishi Islands
a thread on Theism and Atheism

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:28 am

Samuraikoku wrote:The problem is when people try to impose their arbitrary set of values to everybody else.

That is sort of what people do when they argue with each other. If that's a problem, then maybe NSG should not exist?

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:31 am

Ailiailia wrote:That is sort of what people do when they argue with each other. If that's a problem, then maybe NSG should not exist?

I do not see according legislation on NSG.

The Kal Empire
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Kal Empire » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:31 am

No.

Just no, Homosexuals is one thing, but Pedophiles? Incest? Zoophiles? No, that's just sick and depraved.

Lyassa and Nairoa
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 29, 2006
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Lyassa and Nairoa » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:32 am

Person012345 wrote:
Lyassa and Nairoa wrote:

HURR MY INVISIBLE FRIEND SAYS HE DOESN'T LIKE IT WHEN YOU DO CERTAIN THINGS SO I MUST STOP YOU FROM DOING THEM.

Noone gives a fuck about your dumbass definition of "abominable".

I´m used to it, but most people say it politely.

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Tekania » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:32 am

Gauthier wrote:
Foraiteo wrote:(Image)

hooray for incest.

"Virginia is for Lovers, Brothers, Sisters or All of the Above."

Incorrect

Code of Virginia wrote: § 20-38.1. Certain marriages prohibited.

(a) The following marriages are prohibited:

(1) A marriage entered into prior to the dissolution of an earlier marriage of one of the parties;

(2) A marriage between an ancestor and descendant, or between a brother and a sister, whether the relationship is by the half or the whole blood or by adoption;

(3) A marriage between an uncle and a niece or between an aunt and a nephew, whether the relationship is by the half or the whole blood.
Such heroic nonsense!

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:33 am

Samuraikoku wrote:
Ailiailia wrote:That is sort of what people do when they argue with each other. If that's a problem, then maybe NSG should not exist?

I do not see according legislation on NSG.

Ah, so imposing one's values on someone else is only bad when implemented with the power of the state?

(I'm very drunk and being a dick, but frankly you do need a few slaps to the head debate-wise.)

Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:34 am

Ailiailia wrote:Ah, so imposing one's values on someone else is only bad when implemented with the power of the state?

(I'm very drunk and being a dick, but frankly you do need a few slaps to the head debate-wise.)

Given that points of view rarely change on NSG, I don't see any "imposition".

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:35 am

Tekania wrote:
Gauthier wrote:
"Virginia is for Lovers, Brothers, Sisters or All of the Above."

Incorrect

Code of Virginia wrote: § 20-38.1. Certain marriages prohibited.

(a) The following marriages are prohibited:

(1) A marriage entered into prior to the dissolution of an earlier marriage of one of the parties;

(2) A marriage between an ancestor and descendant, or between a brother and a sister, whether the relationship is by the half or the whole blood or by adoption;

(3) A marriage between an uncle and a niece or between an aunt and a nephew, whether the relationship is by the half or the whole blood.

Yes. Virginia was a progressive state two centuries ago, but now it's the opposite.

What is the opposite of Progressive anyway? Retardative?

Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:40 am

Ailiailia wrote:Yes. Virginia was a progressive state two centuries ago, but now it's the opposite.

Regressive?

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:43 am

Samuraikoku wrote:
Ailiailia wrote:Ah, so imposing one's values on someone else is only bad when implemented with the power of the state?

Given that points of view rarely change on NSG, I don't see any "imposition".

You overlook the ganging-up which makes it terribly difficult for a single poster with unpopular views to defend their views against all of the criticism thrown their way. Their pain and humiliation when they fail against such impossible odds.

Sure, the law under which they live in real life doesn't change. But should we care about that? I don't give a damn if you work at your daddy's company, repeatedly missing deadlines with no penalty other than a downgrade of your company car from a Merc to a Ford. I judge you only by your opinions, so far as I can determine them from your written words.

You seem a nice enough chap. Nobody's hero though.

Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:46 am

Samuraikoku wrote:
Ailiailia wrote:Yes. Virginia was a progressive state two centuries ago, but now it's the opposite.

Regressive?

Yes, I'll settle for that.

Promoting change: Progressive.
Neutral: Retardative.
Promoting restoration of previous conditions: Regressive.

Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:49 am

Ailiailia wrote:You overlook the ganging-up which makes it terribly difficult for a single poster with unpopular views to defend their views against all of the criticism thrown their way. Their pain and humiliation when they fail against such impossible odds.

I've had my share of that. I still believe what I believe. Nobody imposed anything on me, nor I them.

Ailiailia wrote:Sure, the law under which they live in real life doesn't change. But should we care about that? I don't give a damn if you work at your daddy's company, repeatedly missing deadlines with no penalty other than a downgrade of your company car from a Merc to a Ford. I judge you only by your opinions, so far as I can determine them from your written words.

I don't think I understand this part. My only purpose in the reply to Lyassa and Nairoa is to say, there are as many sets of values as there are people in the world. Doesn't mean some people have to impose theirs on others. Most legislation that is discussed on NSG topics (legislation against LGBT rights and abortion are the ones that come to mind) is an example of imposing certain arbitrary values infringing on people's freedoms in the name of morality.

So why should they have the right to?

I'll overlook the "daddy's company" part as it doesn't pertain to this argument and is not an accurate depiction of reality.

Ailiailia wrote:You seem a nice enough chap. Nobody's hero though.

I'm just someone trying to be a hero. Never said I would definitely succeed. Doesn't keep me from still trying.
Last edited by Samuraikoku on Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tsuntion
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Tsuntion » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:53 am

Ailiailia wrote:
Tsuntion wrote:

Interesting way of putting it; I had heard such a proposition before, but realising it is just meat makes me more okay with someone having sex with a dead person under those conditions. However, a dead person still can't enter into marriage.

Exactly. It would be like a person marrying a leg of lamb. Or a mushroom. It is even more absurd than marrying a gold bar or a piece of antique furniture, because the dead thing will quickly change its nature.

Unless it was kept in the freezer.

Officer Flatfoot: "Good evening Mr Tess-un-err. Good evening sir. Is your wife at home?"
Tsuntion: "Yes she is. May I ask what this is about?"
Officer Flatfoot: "We have recieved reports about a possible crime committed against your wife, and wish to interview her with a view to--"
Tsuntion: "Sure. Come on in."
Officer Flatfoot: "Thank you, mister er, sir."
Tsuntion: "No problem. She's just through here."
[Officer Flatfoot follows Tsuntion to the cellar]
Officer Flatfoot: "Pardon me sir, but is your wife present here? This seems to be a storage area."
Tsuntion: "She's just over there, in the deep freeze. To keep her from rotting."
Officer Flatfoot: "I never wanted to be a cop. I wanted to be a lumberjack! Well I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK! I sleep all night and I work all day!!"

:lol2: I have a feeling you're even more drunk than when you previously posted a response, you know.
Last edited by Tsuntion on Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not a roleplayer, but check these out: The United Defenders League and The Versutian Federation.

The Emerald Dawn wrote:Jumpin' on the SOURCE-TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO MUFUKA! We be ridin' the rails, checkin' the trails, you get nothin' and your argument fails!

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Tekania » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:58 am

Dracoria wrote:
Person012345 wrote:I thought the conversation I was replying to was about breeding?

Only partially. The main issue of the entire topic is marriage; breeding is only seemingly a concern for incestuous relations, though (as homosexual and zoophilic breeding attempts won't accomplish anything). However, if you read up you will find that in most western nations, the breeding isn't restricted anyway as long as it is voluntary and of the appropriate age; it is the marriage that is legally restricted.

Either way though, banning marriage based on one's genes kind of plays into the hands of those who would use the same to restrict homosexual relations (no XX-XX and XY-XY coupling!). Kiind of plays into the hands of those who talk about the slippery slope, too. One of the reasons I say eh, just let people do as they'll do, and try to adjust the legal code to keep up with the odd inheritance issues that may result.

As it takes a number of generations of repeated inbreeding for issues to pop up, I really don't see the issue in such marriages and relationships aside from the whole 'EEEWWWWWW' factor which we shouldn't use to determine who can get together anyway.

It doesn't really play into their hands at all.... most western nations only bar marriage based on genes where the offspring would have a high likelihood of genetic defect due to the relation of the parents..... such would not be the case with XX-XX or XY-XY marital partners, and thus there are no valid issues with prohibiting it.
Such heroic nonsense!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General