NATION

PASSWORD

Regarding Reincarnation

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Imperial Nilfgaard
Senator

Founded: Jan 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Regarding Reincarnation

Postby Imperial Nilfgaard » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:08 pm

So NS, what do you think happens when you die?

I think that when we die we are reincarnated into the next sentient thing born- whether human or otherwise- in the universe. The time between death and rebirth feels instantaneous. Also upon your souls reentry into a new body, the old memory is wiped.
This process doesn't adhere to morality, thus you won't necessarily be reborn as a beggar if you were evil in your last life. Instead the process is likely totally random and divided into stages.
Although memory doesn't transcend this process, it's quite likely that all bodies inhabited by the same soul have certain mental and psychological characteristics, such as an interest in politics or inherent boldness.

1-Death. Final cessation of consciousness within the old body.
2-Memory Wipe
3-Your soul is sent to a cosmic waiting area.
4-Souls enter a newly born sentient being in order based on who died first.
5-Consciousness within the new body.
6-After 0-120 years: Repeat.

Thus, it is my postulation that everyone here has likely lived multiple lives but doesn't remember any of them. It is perfectly possible that one of us may have the reincarnated soul of such individuals such as Hitler or Lincoln.
Last edited by Imperial Nilfgaard on Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Down with the Banderovists!
Remember Odessa!
Крым
это часть России. Россия Своих Не Бросает!

We are the Great Souled Men of NS.
General-Secretary of the American Compartmentalist Party. ComPart for short.
Great Souled Idols: Vladimir Putin, Aleksandr Dugin, Nigel Farage, Marine Le Pen, Eric Zemmour
Manifesto - A Treatise on Souls

Proud Supporter of Bashar al-Assad's fight against terrorism

Threlizdun
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 14, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Threlizdun » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:14 pm

Okay, for what reason do you believe in reincarnation and why do you believe it would function in this particular manner as opposed to other theories about it?
She/they

Communalist, Social Ecologist, Bioregionalist

This site stresses me out, so I rarely come on here anymore. I'll try to be civil and respectful towards those I'm debating on here. If you don't extend the same courtesy then I'll probably just ignore you.

If we've been friendly in the past and you want to keep in touch, shoot me a telegram

Alyekra
Minister

Founded: May 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Alyekra » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:14 pm

Why would you think this?

The ninja asked it better.
Last edited by Alyekra on Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(FOR LEGAL REASONS, THAT'S A JOKE)

65 dkp

Aeternally (Ancient)
Attaché

Founded: Apr 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Aeternally (Ancient) » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:14 pm

And not a single citation was given that day.

Tlaceceyaya
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 17, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tlaceceyaya » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:14 pm

Now provide even the smallest sliver of evidence, or I'll just go leave on my invisible pink unicorn.
Last edited by Tlaceceyaya on Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Economic Left/Right -9.75, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian -8.87
Also, Bonobos.

Dimitri Tsafendas wrote:You are guilty not only when you commit a crime, but also when you do nothing to prevent it when you have the chance.

Imperial Nilfgaard
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Nilfgaard » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:15 pm

Threlizdun wrote:Okay, for what reason do you believe in reincarnation and why do you believe it would function in this particular manner as opposed to other theories about it?

It makes sense. More sense then heaven or hell anyway. The universe isn't defined by morality and thus death/birth is likely a randomized process.
Remember Odessa!
Крым

Great Souled Idols: Vladimir Putin, Aleksandr Dugin, Nigel Farage, Marine Le Pen, Eric Zemmour

Yestonia (Ancient)
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Yestonia (Ancient) » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:15 pm

Are you of the opinion that an individual can learn of their past lives through a psychic medium?
People's Republic of Yestonia
Official Motto: "Workers of the World, Unite!"
Capital City: Vorota
Government: Marxist-Leninist Single-Party State
Population: 7,180,727 (2010)

Aeternally (Ancient)
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Aeternally (Ancient) » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:15 pm

Imperial Nilfgaard wrote:
Threlizdun wrote:Okay, for what reason do you believe in reincarnation and why do you believe it would function in this particular manner as opposed to other theories about it?

It makes sense. More sense then heaven or hell anyway. The universe isn't defined by morality and thus death/birth is likely a randomized process.

Why?

Aeternally (Ancient)
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Aeternally (Ancient) » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:15 pm

Tlaceceyaya wrote:Now provide even the smallest sliver of evidence, or I'll just go leave on my invisible pink unicorn.

Is there room for two, fellow sceptic?

Volnotova
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Volnotova » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:16 pm

I certainly don't remember.
A very exclusive and exceptional ice crystal.

A surrealistic alien entity stretched thin across the many membranes of the multiverse.
The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:You are the most lawful neutral person I have ever witnessed.

Polruan wrote:It's like Humphrey Applebee wrote a chapter of the Talmud in here.

Tlaceceyaya
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tlaceceyaya » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:16 pm

What makes more sense is the idea that there is no reincarnation. That what we observe is actually what we observe.
Also, Bonobos.

Dimitri Tsafendas wrote:You are guilty not only when you commit a crime, but also when you do nothing to prevent it when you have the chance.

Imperial Nilfgaard
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Nilfgaard » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:17 pm

Yestonia wrote:Are you of the opinion that an individual can learn of their past lives through a psychic medium?

I'm unsure. It's possible I suppose that little hints of your old life can be found deep in your subconscious (like shared phobias, etc)
Remember Odessa!
Крым

Alyekra
Minister

Founded: May 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Alyekra » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:18 pm

Where did "Souls" come from in your godless postulation?
(FOR LEGAL REASONS, THAT'S A JOKE)

65 dkp

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:18 pm

What, precisely, is the point of believing in reincarnation if you carry nothing memorable from your past life?

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

Imperial Nilfgaard
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Nilfgaard » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:19 pm

Tlaceceyaya wrote:

What makes more sense is the idea that there is no reincarnation. That what we observe is actually what we observe.

I'm not denying that what we observe is real. Only that we will forget it once we die.
Remember Odessa!
Крым

Tlaceceyaya
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tlaceceyaya » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:21 pm

Tlaceceyaya wrote:What makes more sense is the idea that there is no reincarnation. That what we observe is actually what we observe.

I'm not denying that what we observe is real. Only that we will forget it once we die.

I was a bit cautious there because you hadn't made that post with even more bullshit yet.
What I meant by that is that we can observe the effects of modifications to the brain. Brain injuries affect personality. Having parts of the brain removed affect you.
Now, please, explain how something like a fear of heights is magically transported from a decomposing brain to a newly born person's.
Also, Bonobos.

Yestonia (Ancient)
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Yestonia (Ancient) » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:21 pm

Must a soul which once inhabited a human body be transferred to another human body, or is it possible it could find itself in another creature?
People's Republic of Yestonia
Official Motto: "Workers of the World, Unite!"
Capital City: Vorota
Government: Marxist-Leninist Single-Party State
Population: 7,180,727 (2010)

Imperial Nilfgaard
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Nilfgaard » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:23 pm

Tlaceceyaya wrote:

I was a bit cautious there because you hadn't made that post with even more bullshit yet.
What I meant by that is that we can observe the effects of modifications to the brain. Brain injuries affect personality. Having parts of the brain removed affect you.
Now, please, explain how something like a fear of heights is magically transported from a decomposing brain to a newly born person's.

Assuming both individuals share the same soul and have no brain damage, it seems perfectly possible that the may share certain personality traits.

Some opinions are formed in our upbringing, but not everything.
Remember Odessa!
Крым

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:23 pm

Pointless superstition. There is no life after death.

Aeternally (Ancient)
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Aeternally (Ancient) » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:24 pm

Avenio wrote:Pointless superstition. There is no life after death.

I don't see how you can make that claim, given our epistemological position.

Imperial Nilfgaard
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Nilfgaard » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:24 pm

Yestonia wrote:Must a soul which once inhabited a human body be transferred to another human body, or is it possible it could find itself in another creature?

The soul may inhabit another creature, as long as said creature displays sentience.
Remember Odessa!
Крым

Threlizdun
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Threlizdun » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:25 pm

Imperial Nilfgaard wrote:I'm not denying that what we observe is real. Only that we will forget it once we die.

And why does the idea that we are reincarnated following this forgetfullness make more sense than the idea that we simply cease to exist?
She/they

This site stresses me out, so I rarely come on here anymore. I'll try to be civil and respectful towards those I'm debating on here. If you don't extend the same courtesy then I'll probably just ignore you.

If we've been friendly in the past and you want to keep in touch, shoot me a telegram

Lost heros
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lost heros » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:25 pm

Kinda important question, what is a soul?
Last edited by Lost Heros on Sun Mar 6, 2016 12:00, edited 173 times in total.

You can send me a TG. I won't mind.

"The first man to compare the cheeks of a young woman to a rose was obviously a poet; the first to repeat it was possibly an idiot." - Salvador Dali

Threlizdun
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Threlizdun » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:26 pm

Yestonia wrote:Must a soul which once inhabited a human body be transferred to another human body, or is it possible it could find itself in another creature?

The soul may inhabit another creature, as long as said creature displays sentience.

And how do you know this? You said we forget everything, so where are you getting this from?
She/they

Imperial Nilfgaard
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Nilfgaard » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:27 pm

Avenio wrote:Pointless superstition. There is no life after death.

True. It will always appear that way. All life will perpetually feel like it is occurring before death, since memory is wiped after each lifespan is complete.
Remember Odessa!
Крым

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General